• Rlogin options

From Alpha@21:4/158 to All on Fri Feb 21 20:56:37 2020
    I'm playing around with DoorNode (https://github.com/dinchak/doornode).. It's
    a new-ish Node.js based door server. It fits my use-case, which is putting all my doors on a different server, with the ability to link directly to each
    door via RLogin, so it's seamless to the user (and I'm not trying to re-create a multi-bbs server like Doorparty).

However, it requires some additional parameters beyond Mystic's /addr /port
    and /user. I need to be able to pass the game tag e.g. "lord" and
    and terminal type e.g. "ansi". Looking over Mystic RLogin docs and experimenting, it doesn't looks as though I can do this from (IR) command.

What's a good way to do this? I'm looking at echicken's RLogin/doorparty script... maybe something like that?

https://github.com/echicken/doorparty-connector

Appreciate any tips!

|08.|07..|15.. |11Alpha |07- |11Card & Claw BBS
    |08.|07..|15.. |03fsxNet AgoraNet GameNet SciNet Fidonet
    |08.|07..|15.. |05Doorparty! |07/ |05Local Doors |07/ |05Board Game Discussion |08.|07..|15.. |13Join |07@ |13cardandclaw.com|07:|138888

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/16 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Card & Claw BBS | Analog Gaming: Board Games, RPGs (21:4/158)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to Alpha on Sat Feb 22 12:46:21 2020
    /port and /user. I need to be able to pass the game tag e.g. "lord" and and terminal type e.g. "ansi". Looking over Mystic RLogin docs and experimenting, it doesn't looks as though I can do this from (IR)
    command.

Its been a while since I looked at RLOGIN but the protocol doesn't have a
    field for door ID so I would need to know how it is expecting that data to be passed to it. Does it provide that information?

It seems like something worth looking into!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 (21:1/108)
  • From ryan@21:1/168 to g00r00 on Sat Feb 22 01:01:07 2020
    However, it requires some additional parameters beyond Mystic's /addr /port and /user. I need to be able to pass the game tag e.g. "lord" a and terminal type e.g. "ansi". Looking over Mystic RLogin docs and experimenting, it doesn't looks as though I can do this from (IR) command.

Its been a while since I looked at RLOGIN but the protocol doesn't have a field for door ID so I would need to know how it is expecting that data
    to be passed to it. Does it provide that information?

Another idea here - the server is written in node and is open source. It may actually make more sense to just modify the source to listen on a unique port per door, since we can't really change how RLogin is supposed to work :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A44 2020/02/04 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: monterey bbs (21:1/168)
  • From echicken to Alpha on Sat Feb 22 04:37:53 2020
    Re: Rlogin options
    By: Alpha to All on Fri Feb 21 2020 15:56:37

I'm playing around with DoorNode (https://github.com/dinchak/doornode).. It's

However, it requires some additional parameters beyond Mystic's /addr /port
    and /user. I need to be able to pass the game tag e.g. "lord" and
    and terminal type e.g. "ansi". Looking over Mystic RLogin docs and experimenting, it doesn't looks as though I can do this from (IR) command.

DoorNode appears to look for the "module name" in the RLOGIN "server-user-name" field. I didn't dig much deeper but I assume that's the "game tag".

An RLOGIN session begins with the client sending:

<null>
    client-user-name<null>
    server-user-name<null>
    terminal-type/speed<null>

So Mystic needs to give you a way of specifying both "client-user-name" and "server-user-name" when you initiate the outbound RLOGIN connection.

What's a good way to do this? I'm looking at echicken's RLogin/doorparty script... maybe something like that?

https://github.com/echicken/doorparty-connector

doorparty-connector accepts RLOGIN connections from your BBS and forwards them to DoorParty's RLOGIN server through an SSH tunnel. It doesn't do any magic re: passing extra parameters to the server, so it won't help you here.

It isn't locked to DoorParty, so you could use it for the same purpose if you want to let other people connect to your game server over an SSH tunnel - but that's another discussion.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From echicken to g00r00 on Sat Feb 22 04:40:00 2020
    Re: Re: Rlogin options
    By: g00r00 to Alpha on Sat Feb 22 2020 07:46:21

Its been a while since I looked at RLOGIN but the protocol doesn't have a field for door ID so I would need to know how it is expecting that data to be
    passed to it. Does it provide that information?

Per my previous message to Alpha, it appears to be the RLOGIN server-user-name field which the client sends upon connecting.

---
    echicken
  • From echicken to g00r00 on Sat Feb 22 04:44:55 2020
    Re: Re: Rlogin options
    By: echicken to g00r00 on Fri Feb 21 2020 23:40:00

Its been a while since I looked at RLOGIN but the protocol doesn't have a
    field for door ID so I would need to know how it is expecting that data to be
    passed to it. Does it provide that information?

Per my previous message to Alpha, it appears to be the RLOGIN server-user-name field which the
    client sends upon connecting.

Never mind - I see that you have a /pass option, and I assume that's the server-user-name, so this is probably where the door ID would go.

---
    echicken
  • From Alpha@21:4/158 to echicken on Sat Feb 22 11:33:14 2020
    Per my previous message to Alpha, it appears to be the RLOGIN
    server-user-name field which the
    client sends upon connecting.

Ah, that makes sense!

|08.|07..|15.. |11Alpha |07- |11Card & Claw BBS
    |08.|07..|15.. |03fsxNet AgoraNet GameNet SciNet Fidonet
    |08.|07..|15.. |05Doorparty! |07/ |05Local Doors |07/ |05Board Game Discussion |08.|07..|15.. |13Join |07@ |13cardandclaw.com|07:|138888

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/16 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Card & Claw BBS | Analog Gaming: Board Games, RPGs (21:4/158)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to ryan on Sat Feb 22 20:02:24 2020
    field for door ID so I would need to know how it is expecting that da to be passed to it. Does it provide that information?

Another idea here - the server is written in node and is open source. It may actually make more sense to just modify the source to listen on a unique port per door, since we can't really change how RLogin is
    supposed to work :)

Thats certainly one way to get around that! I am guessing that maybe they use the "terminal type" field since that is the only field RLOGIN has that isn't user name or password. And if they're not using that, maybe its just that as soon as you connect it expects you to send the "DOORID" + CRLF or something.

All of that is doable, but I just really need to know what it needs.

• From g00r00@21:1/108 to echicken on Sat Feb 22 20:04:17 2020

<null>
    client-user-name<null>
    server-user-name<null>
    terminal-type/speed<null>

Those first two fields if I am not mistaken are repurposed as user/password/term type for BBS logins. Mystic gives the ability already to put whatever you want in those first two fields it just refers to them as user/password.

So it sounds like Mystic will already work with what that needs?