• email <-> netmail gate

From Netsurge@VERT to All on Sun Jul 28 19:17:44 2019
    Can anyone tell me if sbbs can be used to gate email to netmail for an entire net using the f<node>.n<net>.z<zone>.domain.org convention?

The wiki isn't really clear as to whether it does it for it's own akas or
    will route the message to other nodes.

Thanks.

|15frank |08// |15netsurge
    |07disksh0p|08!|07bbs |08% |07bbs.diskshop.ca |08% |07mystic goodness |11SciNet |03ftn hq |08% |07https://diskshop.ca/scinet

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: % disksh0p!bbs % bbs.diskshop.ca % SciNet ftn hq % (1:229/101)
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Netsurge on Mon Jul 29 13:17:00 2019
    On 07-28-19 15:17, Netsurge wrote to All <=-

Can anyone tell me if sbbs can be used to gate email to netmail for an entire net using the f<node>.n<net>.z<zone>.domain.org convention?

The wiki isn't really clear as to whether it does it for it's own akas
    or will route the message to other nodes.

Looking at the headers on gated emails, I'd say no, but DM is the one to answer for sure. However, I suspect that functionality could be easily added, and you'd need a wildcard MX record pointing to your Synchronet SMTP server.

What would be nice is some of GIGO's functionality. GIGO could gate emails using at least 3 different addressing schemes:

f<node>.n<net>.z<zone>.domain.org (I think this was only used for fidonet.org back in the day).

GIGO also had its own generic address translation scheme, which worked well for othernets.

And finally, you had a hosts table, that could give BBSs a singular hostname under your domain, for example:

bbsid.domain.org.

I used to use the latter two addressing modes on my GIGO gateway. My systems had their own hostnames, possible one or two others who asked for one, and the rest used the alternat generic naming convention.

... To find friendship, offer friendship.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Netsurge on Mon Jul 29 16:14:00 2019
    On 07-28-19 21:47, Netsurge wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

Fidogate and Ifgate both have these abilities. The problem with
    Fidogate is that it hasn't been updated in almost 20 years. Without a
    deep dive into the code, you can't compile it on any modern-ish
    distros.

Looks like an update is needed. :)

IFgate will work, but it's lack of documentation and it's complex m4 sendmail scripts make it really hard to work with.

Yeah, that needs plenty of documentation. I was good at Sendmail once upon a time, but that was many moons ago.

I have started working on the fidogate code, but I think this is more
    of a longterm project.

Sounds like it. It would be nice for Synchronet to have this, because then those using newsgroups gated by Synchronet could be reached by email.

... Finagle's first Law: If an experiment works, something has gone wrong
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Netsurge@VERT to Tony Langdon on Mon Jul 29 01:47:36 2019
    What would be nice is some of GIGO's functionality. GIGO could gate emails using at least 3 different addressing schemes:

f<node>.n<net>.z<zone>.domain.org (I think this was only used for fidonet.org back in the day).

Fidogate and Ifgate both have these abilities. The problem with Fidogate is that it hasn't been updated in almost 20 years. Without a deep dive into the code, you can't compile it on any modern-ish distros.

IFgate will work, but it's lack of documentation and it's complex m4 sendmail scripts make it really hard to work with.

I have started working on the fidogate code, but I think this is more of a longterm project.

|07disksh0p|08!|07bbs |08% |07bbs.diskshop.ca |08% |07mystic goodness |11SciNet |03ftn hq |08% |07https://diskshop.ca/scinet

• From Digital Man@VERT to Netsurge on Mon Jul 29 04:34:12 2019
    Re: email <-> netmail gate
    By: Netsurge to All on Sun Jul 28 2019 03:17 pm

No, only the f<node>.n<net>.z<zone>.fidonet convention.

The wiki isn't really clear as to whether it does it for it's own akas or will route the message to other nodes.

It'll route if SBBSecho is configured to route outbound netmail.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #82:
    Flapuebarg unf vagreany ebg13 fhccbeg sbe fhcresvpvnyyl rapelcgvat grkg.
    Norco, CA WX: 66.7°F, 86.0% humidity, 2 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Digital Man on Tue Jul 30 01:35:00 2019
    On 07-29-19 00:34, Digital Man wrote to Netsurge <=-

As I suspected, from what I had seen on my mailing lists. Would be nice if we could change the .fidonet to .mydomain.org, to run as a gateway.

... As a matter of fact, it IS a banana in my pocket.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Digital Man on Mon Jul 29 12:00:21 2019
    By: Digital Man to Netsurge on Mon Jul 29 2019 00:34:12

and sbbs determines the proper FTN doman at some point or is "fidonet" always used even with other FTNs?

The wiki isn't really clear as to whether it does it for it's own akas or will route the message to other nodes.

can you clarify this? i sent a netmail addressed to my gmail account from my point system... sbbsecho says "unrecognized user" and the msg just sits in netmail... i don't see anything in echocfg that would indicate that sbbsecho will take netmail addressed to an internet domain and flip it out the SMTP to the smarthost or destination domain...

)\/(ark

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Rampage on Tue Jul 30 11:15:00 2019
    On 07-29-19 08:00, Rampage wrote to Digital Man <=-

and sbbs determines the proper FTN doman at some point or is "fidonet" always used even with other FTNs?

I'm pretty sure it's always .fidonet .

... To boldly go where no sane man has any business...
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Tony Langdon on Mon Jul 29 19:10:17 2019
    Re: Re: email <-> netmail gate
    By: Tony Langdon to Rampage on Tue Jul 30 2019 07:15 am

and sbbs determines the proper FTN doman at some point or is
    "fidonet" always used even with other FTNs?

Are you sure it's not .fight-o-net?

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Tony Langdon on Mon Jul 29 19:39:20 2019
    By: Tony Langdon to Digital Man on Mon Jul 29 2019 09:35 pm

On 07-29-19 00:34, Digital Man wrote to Netsurge <=-

As I suspected, from what I had seen on my mailing lists. Would be nice if we could change the .fidonet to .mydomain.org, to run as a gateway.

mailsrvr.c - it's open source. Give it a go!

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #27:
    As long as there's, y'know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll. Norco, CA WX: 87.7°F, 49.0% humidity, 5 mph NNE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Rampage on Mon Jul 29 19:42:33 2019
    By: Rampage to Digital Man on Mon Jul 29 2019 08:00 am

By: Digital Man to Netsurge on Mon Jul 29 2019 00:34:12

It's just ".fidonet". The zone is present, I'm not sure why you would need or want multiple fake TLDs.

can you clarify this? i sent a netmail addressed to my gmail account from my point system... sbbsecho says "unrecognized user" and the msg just sits in netmail... i don't see anything in echocfg that would indicate that sbbsecho will take netmail addressed to an internet domain and flip it out the SMTP to the smarthost or destination domain...

It's the other way around. Mail received via SMTP can be addressed to sysop@f<node>.n<net>.z<zone>.fidonet and the mail message will be stored as FidoNet NetMail message which SBBSecho can then pack/route/etc.

Like-wise, locally-stored received FTN NetMail can be read/replied to using a POP3-capable email client.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #81:
    XOFF = Transmit Off (ASCII 19, Ctrl-S)
    Norco, CA WX: 87.7°F, 49.0% humidity, 5 mph NNE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From mark lewis@VERT to Digital Man on Mon Jul 29 23:05:25 2019
    By: Digital Man to Rampage on Mon Jul 29 2019 15:42:33

and sbbs determines the proper FTN doman at some point or is "fidonet"
    always used even with other FTNs?

It's just ".fidonet". The zone is present, I'm not sure why you would need
    or want multiple fake TLDs.

ummm... vkradio.net is not a fake TLD... some.user@f<node>.n<net>.z432.vkradio.net is valid... then, if zone 432 happens
    to be used by another FTN, the domain would certainly come into play to keep the netmail in the proper network...

The wiki isn't really clear as to whether it does it for it's own
    akas or will route the message to other nodes.

can you clarify this? i sent a netmail addressed to my gmail account from
    my point system... sbbsecho says "unrecognized user" and the msg just sits in netmail... i don't see anything in echocfg that would indicate that
    sbbsecho will take netmail addressed to an internet domain and flip it
    out the SMTP to the smarthost or destination domain...

It's the other way around. Mail received via SMTP can be addressed to
    sysop@f<node>.n<net>.z<zone>.fidonet and the mail message will be stored as FidoNet NetMail message which SBBSecho can then pack/route/etc.

ok... that's great... i hadn't tested that route because i always start with outbound from a FTN to an internet domain... being able to receive is great but
    that hurts when being unable to reply, too...

Like-wise, locally-stored received FTN NetMail can be read/replied to using
    a POP3-capable email client.

yeah, i've done that, too, and ran into a problem there that i haven't had time
    to report... basically it was something to do with the name not being changed properly when a reply message was sent back... i'll have to gather the details for you later... right now i have to get out of this facility as it is 100+F again and i'm roasting... i only just realized how hot it has been today :(

)\/(ark
    --- SBBSecho 3.08-Linux
    * Origin: SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR (1:3634/12)
  • From Digital Man@VERT to mark lewis on Mon Jul 29 20:40:36 2019
    By: mark lewis to Digital Man on Mon Jul 29 2019 07:05 pm

By: Digital Man to Rampage on Mon Jul 29 2019 15:42:33

and sbbs determines the proper FTN doman at some point or is "fidonet"
    always used even with other FTNs?

It's just ".fidonet". The zone is present, I'm not sure why you would need
    or want multiple fake TLDs.

ummm... vkradio.net is not a fake TLD...

".fidonet" *is* a fake TLD.

some.user@f<node>.n<net>.z432.vkradio.net is valid...

Cool. That really has nothing to do with the current FTN over SMTP feature of the Synchronet mail server though.

then, if zone 432
    happens to be used by another FTN, the domain would certainly come into play to keep the netmail in the proper network...

I thought it was well known the duplicate zones would really be a problem for anyone carrying both nets. 5D addressing never really caught on.

The wiki isn't really clear as to whether it does it for it's own
    akas or will route the message to other nodes.

can you clarify this? i sent a netmail addressed to my gmail account from
    my point system... sbbsecho says "unrecognized user" and the msg just sits in netmail... i don't see anything in echocfg that would indicate that
    sbbsecho will take netmail addressed to an internet domain and flip it
    out the SMTP to the smarthost or destination domain...

It's the other way around. Mail received via SMTP can be addressed to
    sysop@f<node>.n<net>.z<zone>.fidonet and the mail message will be stored as FidoNet NetMail message which SBBSecho can then pack/route/etc.

ok... that's great... i hadn't tested that route because i always start with outbound from a FTN to an internet domain... being able to receive is great but that hurts when being unable to reply, too...

I don't follow. I send FTN netmail from my Internet email client. The FTN receiver is able to reply and the reply goes back through FTN and I can either read/reply on the BBS, web UI or via my Internet email client. The original receiver is none the wiser. This is how I have corresponded in FidoNet NetMail for many years.

Like-wise, locally-stored received FTN NetMail can be read/replied to using
    a POP3-capable email client.

yeah, i've done that, too, and ran into a problem there that i haven't had time to report... basically it was something to do with the name not being changed properly when a reply message was sent back... i'll have to gather the details for you later... right now i have to get out of this facility as it is 100+F again and i'm roasting... i only just realized how hot it has been today :(

Okay... hot. Got it. :-)

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #83:
    XSDK = Synchronet External Program Software Development Kit for C/C++
    Norco, CA WX: 87.4°F, 50.0% humidity, 7 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Netsurge@VERT to Nightfox on Tue Jul 30 03:33:36 2019

.cesspool

• From Netsurge@VERT to Digital Man on Tue Jul 30 03:38:52 2019
    It's the other way around. Mail received via SMTP can be addressed to de>.n<net>.z<zone>.fidonet and the mail message will be stored as FidoNet sysop@f<no l message which SBBSecho can then pack/route/etc.

So it has to be properly addressed to name@f<f>.n<n>.z<z>/fidonet.yourdomain.com ?

If so, would it properly route it if you used an alternate net's zone? For example, my SciNet node number is 77:1/100 so if another SciNet node received and email address to netsurge@f100.n1.z77.fidonet.theirdomain.org it would route it to me?

If so then that takes care of inbound gating, can sbbs do outbound gating?
    Can I then netmail UUCP to the node's node with To: somename@email.com as the first line of the body and have it email it out using the same email
    convention as above?

• From Digital Man@VERT to Netsurge on Tue Jul 30 01:29:48 2019
    By: Netsurge to Digital Man on Mon Jul 29 2019 11:38 pm

It's the other way around. Mail received via SMTP can be addressed to de>.n<net>.z<zone>.fidonet and the mail message will be stored as FidoNet sysop@f<no l message which SBBSecho can then pack/route/etc.

So it has to be properly addressed to name@f<f>.n<n>.z<z>/fidonet.yourdomain.com ?

No. It has to be addressed to "name@f<f>.n<n>.z<z>.fidonet". But if you receive a netmail message on a Synchronet system and you receive/read your mail in an Internet email program, you just hit "reply" in your Internet email program and it uses the address of the sender in the proper format automatically.

I have added common mail sender to my address book so I can just start an email to them and not worry about the address or format. If it's Fido netmail, then it is. I don't even notice.

If so, would it properly route it if you used an alternate net's zone?

Yes, assuming SBBSecho is configured to route mail.

For
    example, my SciNet node number is 77:1/100 so if another SciNet node received and email address to netsurge@f100.n1.z77.fidonet.theirdomain.org it would route it to me?

No.

If the SciNet node was running the Synchronet mail server, it could receive mail for "netsurge@f100.n1.z77.fidonet" from an authenticated user and it would store it as a FidoNet netmail message and treat it appropriately (sending direct or routing or whatever) - just as if that user had sent the netmail message from the BBS.

If so then that takes care of inbound gating, can sbbs do outbound gating?

It does all kinds of outbound gating, but I'm not sure if it does exactly what you're looking for.

Can I then netmail UUCP to the node's node with To: somename@email.com as the first line of the body and have it email it out using the same email convention as above?

No, it doesn't do that.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #5:
    Nigel Tufnel: Authorities said... best leave it... unsolved.
    Norco, CA WX: 71.5°F, 76.0% humidity, 0 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Netsurge@VERT to Digital Man on Tue Jul 30 05:10:04 2019
    Can I then netmail UUCP to the node's node with To: somename@email.com the first line of the body and have it email it out using the same emai convention as above?

No, it doesn't do that.

Thanks for the explanation, i appreciate it.

• From Digital Man@VERT to Netsurge on Tue Jul 30 02:28:43 2019
    By: Netsurge to Digital Man on Tue Jul 30 2019 01:10 am

Can I then netmail UUCP to the node's node with To: somename@email.com the first line of the body and have it email it out using the same emai convention as above?

No, it doesn't do that.

Thanks for the explanation, i appreciate it.

Sure, no problem. There is special netmail gating magic with the QWK/REP features of Synchronet, but not with FTN netmail.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #45:
    LF = Line Feed (ASCII 10, Ctrl-J)
    Norco, CA WX: 68.8°F, 81.0% humidity, 0 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Netsurge@VERT to Digital Man on Tue Jul 30 05:50:18 2019
    Sure, no problem. There is special netmail gating magic with the QWK/REP feature s of Synchronet, but not with FTN netmail.

It really is amazing how much you have pushed the capabilities of QWK, it
    being such an old technology and all.

• From Digital Man@VERT to Netsurge on Tue Jul 30 03:31:55 2019
    By: Netsurge to Digital Man on Tue Jul 30 2019 01:50 am

Sure, no problem. There is special netmail gating magic with the QWK/REP feature s of Synchronet, but not with FTN netmail.

It really is amazing how much you have pushed the capabilities of QWK, it being such an old technology and all.

QWK is simple, so it lends itself well to extension. Most of our Internet standards are much older than Fido or QWK "standards", and they've held up pretty well and been extended many times over the years. The BBS software folks (including myself) should've paid more attention to what was going on over there. :-)

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #44:
    It really, it does disturb me, but i'll rise above it; I'm a professional. Norco, CA WX: 67.9°F, 83.0% humidity, 0 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Nightfox on Wed Jul 31 00:02:00 2019
    On 07-29-19 15:10, Nightfox wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

ROFLMAO! :D

... Moderator Rule #4: Everyone hates you - so hate 'em back!
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Digital Man on Wed Jul 31 00:03:00 2019
    On 07-29-19 15:39, Digital Man wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

mailsrvr.c - it's open source. Give it a go!

I'm not a C coder. :( Would be nice to have that in a .ini file somewhere as an optional configuration item. Way beyong my C knowledge. :(

... I'm so hungry, I could eat a... Wait! Come back, @FN@!
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to mark lewis on Wed Jul 31 00:15:00 2019
    On 07-29-19 19:05, mark lewis wrote to Digital Man <=-

ummm... vkradio.net is not a fake TLD...

It's vkradio.com, and I'd actually be using ftn.vkradio.com, which would put all of my BBS addressing in the same subdomain. So the same address reachable by binkd would also be an email address. I'd just use a wildcard MX record to direct all incoming mail via Synchronet, But yes, I'd like to be able to configure Synchronet to use a real domain for gated email.

... I'm working on my 2nd $million... Gave up on the 1st.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Daryl Stout@VERT to NIGHTFOX on Tue Jul 30 14:46:00 2019
    and sbbs determines the proper FTN doman at some point or is
    "fidonet" always used even with other FTNs?

Better than fart-o-net. :P

Daryl

===
    ■ OLX 1.53 ■ Warning: Dates in calendar are closer than they appear.
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Win32
    * Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - tbolt.synchro.net (1:19/33)
  • From Zombie Mambo@VERT/ZZONE to Tony Langdon on Thu Aug 1 17:40:05 2019
    By: Tony Langdon to Nightfox on Tue Jul 30 2019 08:02 pm

On 07-29-19 15:10, Nightfox wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

ROFLMAO! :D

... Moderator Rule #4: Everyone hates you - so hate 'em back!
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51

You broke the first rule of .fight-o-net

Thanks,
    Zombie Mambo

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ +-=[ The Zombie Zone BBS * hcow.dynu.net:61912 ]=-+