• Computer to run BBS using Synchronet

From Capn Jax@VERT/ETOW to All on Thu Aug 8 13:07:53 2019
    I used to run a BBS called "Faculty Lounge" using pcboard under DOS. In 2001 my computer died. It was a phone line call in system with 2 call in lines and one local line for my use. I'm retired now and am thinking of setting up a BBS. I want to know if I can use Synchronet with 2 telnet lines and one local line and is there a desktop computer that can handle that with decent speed and fios internet connection. Is synchronet easy enough for an old fart to set up a BBS? I'd like to hear some remarks from all of you. Thanks, Capn Jax aka: Jack Merritt

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Door Distribution for W&W and EVP - TELNET://etow.synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Capn Jax on Thu Aug 8 16:02:51 2019
    Re: Computer to run BBS using Synchronet
    By: Capn Jax to All on Thu Aug 08 2019 09:07 am

I used to run a BBS called "Faculty Lounge" using pcboard under DOS. In 2001 my computer died. It was a phone line call in system with 2 call in lines and one local line for my use. I'm retired now and am thinking of setting up a BBS. I want to know if I can use Synchronet with 2 telnet lines and one local line and is there a desktop computer that can handle that with decent speed and fios internet connection.

Pretty much any desktop computer made in the past 10 years should be able to handle that with ease.

Synchronet v3 is TCP/IP only, so if you want dial-up lines (beware, you won't likely get many calls), you can use SEXPOTS to route those incoming calls to Telnet nodes:
    http://wiki.synchro.net/util:sexpots

That said, I'd start with telnet-only just to ease yourself back into it.

Is synchronet easy enough for an ol fart to set up a BBS?

That's a subjective question, but there's plenty of not-so-super-technical folks that have done it successfully.

I'd like to hear some remarks from all of you. Thanks,
    Capn Jax aka: Jack Merritt

Welcome back!

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #1:
    Nigel Tufnel: These go to eleven.
    Norco, CA WX: 83.3°F, 52.0% humidity, 2 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From HusTler@VERT/HAVENS to Capn Jax on Thu Aug 8 19:53:19 2019

lines and one local line for my use. I'm retired now and am thinking of setting up a BBS. I want to know if I can use Synchronet with 2 telnet lines and one local line and is there a desktop computer that can handle that with decent speed and fios internet connection. Is synchronet easy enough for an old fart to set up a BBS? I'd like to hear some remarks from all of you. Thanks, Capn Jax aka: Jack Merritt

Yes sir and if you need any help you can find it right here on Dovenet. I would recommend a PC with windows xp, 7 or 10. Synchronet for windows practically installs by itself. Just answer of few quesntions and bingo yur good to go with telnet, ssh, ftp, http, https, email all for the rock bottom price on ZERO..ZIP...NADA...Nothing.. just your own sweat and swearing. ;-)
    I'm also an old man retired and started up a new BBS a few months ago. Hope to see you around.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Capn Jax on Thu Aug 8 17:22:50 2019

I used to run a BBS called "Faculty Lounge" using pcboard under DOS. In 2001 my computer died. It was a phone line call in system with 2 call in lines and one local line for my use. I'm retired now and am thinking of setting up a BBS. I want to know if I can use Synchronet with 2 telnet lines and one local line and is there a desktop computer that can handle that with decent speed and fios internet connection. Is synchronet easy enough for an old fart to set up a BBS? I'd like to hear some remarks from all of you. Thanks, Capn Jax aka: Jack Merritt
    Yes, you should be able to buy even an older used computer (maybe around $40 to $100 or so) and it should be able to handle that just fine. Synchronet is failry easy to set up. The one thing that surprised me a little at first was that Synchronet doesn't have a traditional menu editor like other BBS packages do - It uses "command shells" that you have to program using JavaScript or Baja (Synchronet's own scripting language). Some knowledge of programming or willingness to learn is good for Synchronet, but Synchronet is a great BBS package. Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Capn Jax on Thu Aug 8 20:05:38 2019

I used to run a BBS called "Faculty Lounge" using pcboard under DOS. In 2001 computer died. It was a phone line call in system with 2 call in lines and o local line for my use. I'm retired now and am thinking of setting up a BBS. want to know if I can use Synchronet with 2 telnet lines and one local line is there a desktop computer that can handle that with decent speed and fios internet connection. Is synchronet easy enough for an old fart to set up a B I'd like to hear some remarks from all of you. Thanks, Capn Jax aka: Jack Merritt
    Merritt

setting it up with a dialup line is a waste of time. i had one for a few years.

you can just use your menu screens with the pcboard clone menu script and setup a few doors and be good to go.

i can help you with any questions late at night or on the weekends.

you need a 32bit operating system
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Al@VERT to Capn Jax on Thu Aug 8 18:28:28 2019
    I used to run a BBS called "Faculty Lounge" using pcboard under DOS. In 2001 m >computer died. It was a phone line call in system with 2 call in lines and one
    local line for my use. I'm retired now and am thinking of setting up a BBS. I
    want to know if I can use Synchronet with 2 telnet lines and one local line an
    is there a desktop computer that can handle that with decent speed and fios
    internet connection. Is synchronet easy enough for an old fart to set up a BBS
    I'd like to hear some remarks from all of you. Thanks, Capn Jax aka: Jack Merritt

Yes, you can run any number of nodes you'd like. Synchronet is very featurefull
    and can seem complex at first but is well supported by it developers and help is always available by many means, email/netmail/IRC and these dovenet areas are also gated to fidonet (the support areas).

So yeah! Don't be afraid to asked questions and welcome back.. :)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Thu Aug 8 19:03:35 2019
    By: MRO to Capn Jax on Thu Aug 08 2019 04:05 pm

I think that's only true if you want to run 16-bit DOS doors on your BBS. I think some sysops these days are opting to have their BBS connect to external game servers, so they could run their BBS on a a 64-bit Windows and not have to worry about setting up 16-bit DOS doors. Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to MRO on Thu Aug 8 22:50:00 2019
    MRO wrote to Capn Jax <=-

I used to run a BBS called "Faculty Lounge" using pcboard under DOS. In 2001 computer died. It was a phone line call in system with 2 call in lines and o local line for my use. I'm retired now and am thinking of setting up a BBS. want to know if I can use Synchronet with 2 telnet lines and one local line is there a desktop computer that can handle that with decent speed and fios internet connection. Is synchronet easy enough for an old fart to set up a B I'd like to hear some remarks from all of you. Thanks, Capn Jax aka: Jack Merritt
    Merritt

setting it up with a dialup line is a waste of time. i had one
    for a few years.

This is true.

Ummm, no he doesn't. SBBS is running just fine here on 64-bit
    Linux (including DOS doors).

... All hope abandon, ye who enter messages here.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Fri Aug 9 02:25:54 2019
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Thu Aug 08 2019 03:03 pm

By: MRO to Capn Jax on Thu Aug 08 2019 04:05 pm

I think that's only true if you want to run 16-bit DOS doors on your BBS. I think some sysops these days are opting to have their BBS connect to externa game servers, so they could run their BBS on a a 64-bit Windows and not have worry about setting up 16-bit DOS doors. Nightfox

you need a 32bit operating system if you are someone serious about it.
    or you can be a douchenozzle and hook up to one of those crap door servers
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Gamgee on Fri Aug 9 00:53:54 2019
    Re: Re: Computer to run BBS using Synchronet
    By: Gamgee to MRO on Thu Aug 08 2019 06:50 pm

Subject: Re: Computer to run BBS using Synchronet

Please set SCFG->Networks->QWK->Hubs->VERT->Extended (QWKE) Packets to "No".

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #25:
    The Digital Dynamics company ceased day-to-day opperations in late 1995.
    Norco, CA WX: 73.0°F, 65.0% humidity, 2 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Digital Man on Fri Aug 9 11:52:00 2019
    Digital Man wrote to Gamgee <=-

Please set SCFG->Networks->QWK->Hubs->VERT->Extended (QWKE)
    Packets to "No".

OK, I did. Was that causing a problem of some kind?

... Chuck Norris can divide by zero.
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to MRO on Fri Aug 9 12:05:00 2019
    MRO wrote to Nightfox <=-

I think that's only true if you want to run 16-bit DOS doors on your BBS. I think some sysops these days are opting to have their BBS connect to externa game servers, so they could run their BBS on a a 64-bit Windows and not have worry about setting up 16-bit DOS doors. Nightfox

you need a 32bit operating system if you are someone serious
    about it. or you can be a douchenozzle and hook up to one of
    those crap door servers ---

You should specify that this applies to Windoze only.

I run SBBS on 64-bit Linux, run 16-bit DOS doors, and do not use
    some external "game server".

I already told you this but you don't seem to hear.

... Is fire supposed to shoot out of it like that!?
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Gamgee on Fri Aug 9 12:48:17 2019
    By: Gamgee to Digital Man on Fri Aug 09 2019 07:52 am

Packets to "No".

Yes. Your QWKnet account on Vertrauen was set to "QWKE: No", so when the "Subject:" kludge was present in your messages, all the kludges would become part of the body text. Since you're using HEADERS.DAT, you don't need the QWKE stuff anyway.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #94:
    Synchronet v3.15b was released in October of 2011 (5 years after v3.14a). Norco, CA WX: 72.5°F, 68.0% humidity, 0 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Dan Clough@VERT to Digital Man on Fri Aug 9 15:06:00 2019

Packets to "No".

Yes. Your QWKnet account on Vertrauen was set to "QWKE: No", so
    when the "Subject:" kludge was present in your messages, all the
    kludges would become part of the body text. Since you're using HEADERS.DAT, you don't need the QWKE stuff anyway.

Ahhhh, OK. Yep, sorry about that. Now that you mention that, I
    remember some discussion about somebody else's messages showing
    that, but didn't realize mine were too. Strange thing is that I
    didn't change that recently on my end (in SCFG...). I did fairly
    recently change my packet config *within SBBS* to go with QWKE,
    but wouldn't think that would change it at the board level.
    Anyway, thanks for pointing it out.

... All the easy problems have been solved.
    === MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.08-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (1:123/115)
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Dan Clough on Fri Aug 9 17:08:53 2019
    By: Dan Clough to Digital Man on Fri Aug 09 2019 11:06 am

Packets to "No".

Yes. Your QWKnet account on Vertrauen was set to "QWKE: No", so
    when the "Subject:" kludge was present in your messages, all the kludges would become part of the body text. Since you're using HEADERS.DAT, you don't need the QWKE stuff anyway.

Ahhhh, OK. Yep, sorry about that. Now that you mention that, I
    remember some discussion about somebody else's messages showing
    that, but didn't realize mine were too. Strange thing is that I
    didn't change that recently on my end (in SCFG...).

I wasn't sure what the cause was until I researched some more recently and refreshed my memory, so I wasn't raising alarms to anyone.

Also, unless the message subject > 25 chars in length, nobody would notice anything different.

I did fairly
    recently change my packet config *within SBBS* to go with QWKE,
    but wouldn't think that would change it at the board level.
    Anyway, thanks for pointing it out.

Your QWK configuration for your user account on your BBS should have no impact on the packet created for QWK network hubs (e.g. VERT) - so, unrelated. Or should be unrelated. :-)

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #17:
    David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and uh... and clever. Norco, CA WX: 88.0°F, 35.0% humidity, 5 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Ragnarok@VERT/DOCKSUD to Gamgee on Sat Aug 10 03:28:45 2019
    El 9/8/19 a las 10:05, Gamgee escribi≤:
    MRO wrote to Nightfox <=-

I think that's only true if you want to run 16-bit DOS doors on your BBS. I
    think some sysops these days are opting to have their BBS connect to externa
    game servers, so they could run their BBS on a a 64-bit Windows and not have
    worry about setting up 16-bit DOS doors. Nightfox

you need a 32bit operating system if you are someone serious
    about it. or you can be a douchenozzle and hook up to one of
    those crap door servers ---

You should specify that this applies to Windoze only.

I run SBBS on 64-bit Linux, run 16-bit DOS doors, and do not use
    some external "game server".

I already told you this but you don't seem to hear.

me too i use debian 64bits and dosemu run all my dos doors

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Dock Sud BBS TLD 24 HS - http://bbs.docksud.com.ar - telnet://bbs.docksud.com.ar
  • From Capn Jax@VERT/ETOW to Digital Man on Thu Aug 15 12:44:43 2019
    By: Digital Man to Capn Jax on Thu Aug 08 2019 12:02 pm

I used to run a BBS called "Faculty Lounge" using pcboard under DOS. In 2 my computer died. It was a phone line call in system with 2 call in lines and one local line for my use. I'm retired now and am thinking of setting a BBS. I want to know if I can use Synchronet with 2 telnet lines and one local line and is there a desktop computer that can handle that with dece speed and fios internet connection.

Pretty much any desktop computer made in the past 10 years should be able to

Synchronet v3 is TCP/IP only, so if you want dial-up lines (beware, you won' http://wiki.synchro.net/util:sexpots

That said, I'd start with telnet-only just to ease yourself back into it.

Is synchronet easy enough for an ol fart to set up a BBS?

That's a subjective question, but there's plenty of not-so-super-technical f

I'd like to hear some remarks from all of you. Thanks,
    Capn Jax aka: Jack Merritt

Welcome back!

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #1:
    Nigel Tufnel: These go to eleven.
    Norco, CA WX: 83.3°F, 52.0% humidity, 2 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

Thanks for the response. I hope there are good instructions with the software. Jack Merritt

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Door Distribution for W&W and EVP - TELNET://etow.synchro.net