• lord

From The Millionaire@VERT to all on Sat Aug 17 20:43:16 2019
    i just saw lord in the commitlog. wonderful news! will there be a barren realms elite, usurper and nuke wars also in the future?

$ The Millionaire $

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to all on Wed Aug 21 23:05:06 2019
    Re: lord
    By: The Millionaire to all on Sat Aug 17 2019 04:43 pm

i just saw lord in the commitlog. wonderful news! will there be a barren realms elite, usurper and nuke wars also in the future?

$ The Millionaire $

would be nice to see these games also converted as they were my favs of all.

$ The Millionaire $

---
  • From echicken to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 02:31:30 2019
    By: The Millionaire to all on Wed Aug 21 2019 19:05:06

i just saw lord in the commitlog. wonderful news! will there be a barren
    realms elite, usurper and nuke wars also in the future?

I wouldn't take this as a sign that there's going to be a big porting or rewrite effort of old games. This seems like a bit of a special case.

There aren't that many people kicking around who could and would do the work, if they were interested and had time and energy.

Of course I'm glad this is happening anyway and look forward to messing around with it.

There are some reasons why it might be nice, others why it might not be so great. I'd be interested to hear why you'd like to see this happen.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Netsurge@VERT to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 02:40:18 2019
    i just saw lord in the commitlog. wonderful news! will there be a barre realms elite, usurper and nuke wars also in the future?

$ The Millionaire $

I don't think you will see BRE converted anytime soon as it is still being actively sold.

|15frank |08// |15netsurge
    |07disksh0p|08!|07bbs |08% |07bbs.diskshop.ca |08% |07mystic goodness |11SciNet |03ftn hq |08% |07https://diskshop.ca/scinet

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: % disksh0p!bbs % bbs.diskshop.ca % SciNet ftn hq % (1:229/101)
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to echicken on Wed Aug 21 23:46:40 2019

I wouldn't take this as a sign that there's going to be a big porting or rewrite effort of old games. This seems like a bit of a special case.

There aren't that many people kicking around who could and would do the work, if they were interested and had time and energy.

Of course I'm glad this is happening anyway and look forward to messing around with it.

There are some reasons why it might be nice, others why it might not be so great. I'd be interested to hear why you'd like to see this happen.

---
    echicken
    Γûá Synchronet Γûá electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com

$ The Millionaire $

Why wouldnΓÇÖt it be a good thing? I love games thatΓÇÖs why. The more the better.

---
  • From echicken to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 03:05:30 2019
    By: The Millionaire to echicken on Wed Aug 21 2019 19:46:40

Why wouldn’t it be a good thing? I love games that’s why. The more the better.

The games already exist, so this wouldn't be "more". It'd just be a different iteration.

What I meant was, what benefits would you want to gain from a new port or remake of some older game? That's a genuine question; I'm not saying you're wrong for wanting it.

I think this could be good because it might make these games easier to run on modern systems. It might make them easier to maintain, or fix long standing bugs that are baked into the old versions. Might let us *carefully* extend these games in reasonable ways.

The potential bad part is losing some of the je ne sais quoi of the originals. Fixing bugs and taking away some of the quirks. Remaking games and not getting the formulas right, so progressing through the game is much harder or much easier than it used to be. It wouldn't be horrible - the original would still be available somewhere - but it would just be something "kind of new" and derivative.

---
    echicken
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 00:59:13 2019
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 01:28:30 2019
    @MSGID: <5D5E1311.40906.dove_sync@digitaldistortionbbs.com>
    @REPLY: <5D5E0210.6348.sync@vert.synchro.net>
    @TZ: c1e0
    By: The Millionaire to echicken on Wed Aug 21 2019 07:46 pm

This new LORD is being written in Synchronet's JavaScript. That has its advantages (it will run wherever Synchronet runs), but one downside is that it will only work with Synchronet BBSes. If we want inter-network gaming, it might only work with ones running on other Synchronet BBSes, unless it's made to read & write game files from the original LORD.

Nightfox
    ---
    Γûá Synchronet Γûá Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

$ The Millionaire $

Why is lord the game that is, so special that itΓÇÖs going to js?

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to echicken on Thu Aug 22 03:33:48 2019
    By: echicken to The Millionaire on Wed Aug 21 2019 11:05 pm

The potential bad part is losing some of the je ne sais quoi of the original Fixing bugs and taking away some of the quirks. Remaking games and not gett the formulas right, so progressing through the game is much harder or much easier than it used to be. It wouldn't be horrible - the original would sti be available somewhere - but it would just be something "kind of new" and derivative.

what i think would be cool is a doorgame engine with an easy scripting language. we could recode doorgames into clones or make new ones.

seth able had one but it would barf with a lot of code.
    allan usher [clans] had one but not many people used it much.

i'm wondering if the multiserv guy will try to go after us for having a lord clone with the lord name, though. he's an oddball from what i've heard. holding onto the old stuff like a vice.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 02:03:21 2019
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to MRO on Thu Aug 22 22:09:00 2019
    On 08-21-19 23:33, MRO wrote to echicken <=-

what i think would be cool is a doorgame engine with an easy scripting language. we could recode doorgames into clones or make new ones.

If done right, that could be the best of both worlds. The OS portability of BBS scripting engines, with the BBS portability of a door - doors that only need to be written once, yet run natively on any platform and compatible with any BBS that supports doors (i.e. almost anything).

... I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 11:32:05 2019

maybe put up a bounty for them, then...

unless someone has a specific interest in seeing them ported/converted/rewritten/reverse_engineered, and they're not still maintained, then it is unlikely that they will be messed with... that's how open source volunteer development happens...

it is easy enough to run the original binaries of those doors on today's equipment... you just have to figure out how to provide a 16bit environment for them to run in... it isn't that hard... there are numeruos emulation environments available for exactly this purpose... many of those are also free...

)\/(ark

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 10:02:50 2019
    @MSGID: <5D5E2219.40909.dove_sync@digitaldistortionbbs.com>
    @REPLY: <5D5E19EE.6354.sync@vert.synchro.net>
    By: The Millionaire to Nightfox on Wed Aug 21 2019 09:28 pm

You'd probably have to ask the person who's writing it (I think Deuce?).
    LORD was a popular game though. On FSXNet, I've even heard about someone else who has made a modern re-write of LORD.

Nightfox
    ---

$ The Millionaire $

Well Nuke Wars has been dead since 1993 when End Of Time software disappeared but was extremely popular on the Commodore 64 BBSes back in the 90ΓÇÖs. I donΓÇÖt see it being ported yet though.

---
  • From echicken to MRO on Thu Aug 22 13:22:02 2019
    By: MRO to echicken on Wed Aug 21 2019 23:33:48

This project is pushing Deuce into doing further work on the JS Door stuff (dorkit?), so it's at least a step toward something like that. JS modules could then be written to work with Synchronet or as a door with other systems. JS may or may not fit the bill of being an easy scripting language, but something simpler could be layered on top of that.

I've been messing around a bit with generating menus and full-screen programs for Synchronet by using a markup language. Not sure how far I'll go with it. The idea is that sysops could type up an HTML-like document and that would be used to produce a menu or whatever. Could be useful here.

i'm wondering if the multiserv guy will try to go after us for having a lord
    clone with the lord name, though. he's an oddball from what i've heard. holding onto the old stuff like a vice.

Is that Gameport? From what I've heard it's silence as usual when people try to place orders. Not that it means much. Not sure if anything's changed recently, but for whatever reason Deuce is suddenly comfortable working on this.

---
    echicken
  • From echicken to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 13:24:04 2019
    By: The Millionaire to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 2019 06:02:50

Well Nuke Wars has been dead since 1993 when End Of Time software disappeared
    but was extremely popular on the Commodore 64 BBSes back in the 90’s. I don’t see it being ported yet though.

What's the actual point of porting it though? Do you want new features added to the game? Are there bugs that you're aware of that need to be fixed?

---
    echicken
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Netsurge on Thu Aug 22 10:22:50 2019
    Re: Re: lord
    By: Netsurge to The Millionaire on Wed Aug 21 2019 10:40 pm

i just saw lord in the commitlog. wonderful news! will there be a barre realms elite, usurper and nuke wars also in the future?

$ The Millionaire $

I don't think you will see BRE converted anytime soon as it is still being actively sold.

|15frank |08// |15netsurge
    |07disksh0p|08!|07bbs |08% |07bbs.diskshop.ca |08% |07mystic goodness |11SciNet |03ftn hq |08% |07https://diskshop.ca/scinet

i cant believe he still is making money on it though.

$ The Millionaire $

---
  • From echicken to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 13:35:24 2019
    By: The Millionaire to Netsurge on Thu Aug 22 2019 06:22:50

Some people hang onto these things for other reasons; emotional attachment, pride of ownership, unwillingness to open up their bad old code for others to look at. There's no harm in asking the current owners of these games if they're willing to open them up, but they may have some rationale for not wanting to do so.

---
    echicken
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to echicken on Thu Aug 22 10:39:47 2019
    By: echicken to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 2019 09:35 am

Some people hang onto these things for other reasons; emotional attachment, pride of ownership, unwillingness to open up their bad old code for others to look at. There's no harm in asking the current owners of these games if they're willing to open them up, but they may have some rationale for not wanting to do so.

look at ezycom for instance. Stephen Gibbs just packed up and disappeared without ever giving the source code or anything. So I guess it goes to show you what authors do with their programming.

$ The Millionaire $

---
  • From echicken to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 13:54:34 2019
    By: The Millionaire to echicken on Thu Aug 22 2019 06:39:47

look at ezycom for instance. Stephen Gibbs just packed up and disappeared without ever giving
    the source code or anything. So I guess it goes to show you what authors do with their
    programming.

Unless the author guaranteed literal lifetime support when they sold the product, I think we've come to a point in time when they can abandon it if they want to, guilt free. It'd be great if they did so gracefully and handed their projects off to somebody else, but like I said, there are lots of reasons (good and bad) why they might not want to do that.

---
    echicken
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to echicken on Thu Aug 22 11:55:25 2019

Unless the author guaranteed literal lifetime support when they sold the product, I think we've come to a point in time when they can abandon it if they want to, guilt free. It'd be great if they did so gracefully and handed their projects off to somebody else, but like I said, there are lots of reasons (good and bad) why they might not want to do that.

---
    echicken

$ The Millionaire $

Does Michael Presslar even care about LORD anymore? Even though he still does run it on his website. HeΓÇÖs been pretty silent for years now though.

---
  • From echicken to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 15:11:09 2019
    By: The Millionaire to echicken on Thu Aug 22 2019 07:55:25

Does Michael Presslar even care about LORD anymore? Even though he still does
    run it on his website. He’s been pretty silent for years now though.

More important would be "Metropolis Gameport", who currently sell LORD (but in reality don't respond to anybody's emails or attempts to make a purchase).

---
    echicken
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to MRO on Thu Aug 22 11:58:13 2019
    By: echicken to The Millionaire on Wed Aug 21 2019 11:05 pm

seth able had one but it would barf with a lot of code.
    allan usher [clans] had one but not many people used it much.

i'm wondering if the multiserv guy will try to go after us for having a lord clone with the lord name, though. he's an oddball from what i've heard. holding onto the old stuff like a vice.
    ---
    Γûá Synchronet Γûá ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

$ The Millionaire $

Yeah I tried it out once and wasnΓÇÖt too thrilled with the game though.

---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 12:12:34 2019
    $ The Millionaire $

Does Michael Presslar even care about LORD anymore? Even though he still does run it on his website. HeΓÇÖs been pretty silent for years now though.

$ The Millionaire $

I mean even James Coyle aka Gooroo was wondering why heΓÇÖs even still writing Mystic BBS.

---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to echicken on Thu Aug 22 12:14:09 2019

More important would be "Metropolis Gameport", who currently sell LORD (but in reality don't respond to anybody's emails or attempts to make a purchase).

---
    echicken

$ The Millionaire $

ThatΓÇÖs really stupidity.

---
  • From echicken to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 16:07:01 2019
    By: The Millionaire to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 2019 08:12:34

I mean even James Coyle aka Gooroo was wondering why he’s even still writing
    Mystic BBS.

The only reason anyone works on this stuff anymore is because they get some enjoyment out of it. There hasn't been money in it worth speaking of for a loooong time. If you're not having fun, there's no reason to continue - or there's at least a sign that you should take a break for a while. Which explains why some people come and go repeatedly over the years, and why certain software projects stop and start up again every 6 - 24 months.

---
    echicken
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 13:41:20 2019
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Thu Aug 22 13:47:01 2019
    By: echicken to MRO on Thu Aug 22 2019 09:22 am

This project is pushing Deuce into doing further work on the JS Door stuff (dorkit?), so it's at least a step toward something like that. JS modules

I've thought of updating SlyEdit to work with dorkit when dorkit is ready.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 13:49:36 2019
    By: The Millionaire to echicken on Thu Aug 22 2019 06:39 am

look at ezycom for instance. Stephen Gibbs just packed up and disappeared without ever giving the source code or anything. So I guess it goes to show you what authors do with their programming.

Similarly, Bruce Morse bought the rights to RemoteAccess (from Andrew Milner) in 1999 (I think), but the only thing he did was to release a Y2K-compatible update of RemoteAccess, and he has never done anything with it since. I was a bit disappointed, since I had used RemoteAccess for my original BBS in the 90s. When I started my current BBS, I was initially going to use EleBBS, since that's basically a modern clone of RemoteAccess, but it seemed at the time it had a problem running timed events.. I switched to Synchronet and have been happy with it.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Thu Aug 22 13:52:02 2019
    By: echicken to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 2019 11:11 am

I registered LORD 2 and Planets: TEOS from them in 2010 and got responses back for both of those. I suppose I'm glad I registered those when I did, since they apparently stopped responding to peoples' requests later.

I also had to mail in a check for payment, which seemed weird in a time when pretty much all online retailers accept card payments online.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 13:52:32 2019
  • From echicken to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 18:35:48 2019
    By: Nightfox to echicken on Thu Aug 22 2019 09:52:02

I registered LORD 2 and Planets: TEOS from them in 2010 and got responses back for both of
    those. I suppose I'm glad I registered those when I did, since they apparently stopped
    responding to peoples' requests later.

You were lucky that they were paying attention / willing to respond at the time. I just searched my email and I see attempts that I made to contact them in 2008 and 2009 which received no reply. (So it's not as if they were responsive up until 2010 and then stopped.) Pretty flaky.

I've heard of a few people getting a response from them over the past ten years, but they are far outnumbered by people who went ignored.

I also had to mail in a check for payment, which seemed weird in a time when pretty much all
    online retailers accept card payments online.

Yep. I got one reply from them, once, when I asked if I could send them money via PayPal or something because their payment system didn't work. They said that I had to mail a cheque, and I decided that was stupid and I didn't proceed.

Unrelatedly, I had to cut a cheque for somebody today and I became irrationally annoyed about it. Told them to get with the times. It's dumb in the same way that it's dumb how realtors and medical professionals still want to use fax machines for everything.

---
    echicken
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 16:02:46 2019
    @MSGID: <5D5EC850.40933.dove_sync@digitaldistortionbbs.com>
    @REPLY: <5D5EB0E2.6373.sync@vert.synchro.net>
    By: The Millionaire to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 2019 08:12 am

I've heard he disappears from time to time but always seems to come back and work on Mystic a bit more.

Nightfox
    ---

$ The Millionaire $

I took a 6 year hiatus myself and returned as well. ItΓÇÖs in the blood I guess. :-)

---
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 18:44:37 2019

pizza/beer $$$ are still $$$...

)\/(ark

---
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 18:46:54 2019

look at ezycom for instance. Stephen Gibbs just packed up and disappeared without ever giving the source code or anything.

wrong, sir... i have at least one git repo here with ezycom sources... several archives, too...

)\/(ark

---
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 18:48:42 2019

He's

something has changed in your postings... your apostrophies are now UTF-8 entities and are no longer being converted like they were previously...

)\/(ark

---
    þ Synchronet þ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Rampage on Thu Aug 22 16:31:15 2019

wrong, sir... i have at least one git repo here with ezycom sources... several archives, too...

)\/(ark

---
    Γûá Synchronet Γûá The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR

$ The Millionaire $

Esaelp knil.

---
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 19:14:00 2019
    By: Nightfox to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 2019 09:49:36

Similarly, Bruce Morse bought the rights to RemoteAccess (from Andrew Milner) in 1999 (I think), but the only thing he did was to release a Y2K-compatible update of RemoteAccess, and he has never done anything with it since.

well... he did do a lot of stuff that didn't make it out but he was also having to learn pascal since it was not a/the language he was familiar with... he did get the y2k stuff out, yes... i wish he hadn't dropped off, though... i was in contact with him in fido until his system stopped answering... i know he did something with the USPS but not sure what... he tried to do some coding while he was on the road, which he was quite a bit, on his laptop...

I was a bit disappointed,

you're not the only one... i was the last standing RA system, AFAIK, until hurricane florence forced me down...

since I had used RemoteAccess for my original BBS in the 90s.

confirmed... you registered RA v1.10... key #2-3188 ;)

)\/(ark

---
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 19:15:37 2019
    By: Rampage to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 2019 14:48:42

He's

something has changed in your postings... your apostrophies are now UTF-8 entities and are no longer being converted like they were previously...

now that's really weird... in my reply that i'm responding to now, it has been properly converted... something really has changed somewhere...

)\/(ark

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Thu Aug 22 16:49:43 2019
    By: echicken to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 2019 02:35 pm

You were lucky that they were paying attention / willing to respond at the time. I just searched my email and I see attempts that I made to contact them in 2008 and 2009 which received no reply. (So it's not as if they were responsive up until 2010 and then stopped.) Pretty flaky.

I've heard of a few people getting a response from them over the past ten years, but they are far outnumbered by people who went ignored.

Interesting.. I can't really see how they can continue to operate (and apparently be able to maintain a web site) without responding to customers reliably.

Yep. I got one reply from them, once, when I asked if I could send them money via PayPal or something because their payment system didn't work. They said that I had to mail a cheque, and I decided that was stupid and I didn't proceed.

Unrelatedly, I had to cut a cheque for somebody today and I became irrationally annoyed about it. Told them to get with the times. It's dumb in the same way that it's dumb how realtors and medical professionals still want to use fax machines for everything.

Generally I don't have a problem with the idea of using a check. However I don't even have any checks anymore because I rarely need to use them. The only time I've ever reagularly used checks for payment was when I lived in apartments, and they all took checks for rent payment. None of the apartments I've ever lived in took credit/debit card or electronic payment for rent.

Nightfox

---
  • From echicken to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 21:41:06 2019
    By: Nightfox to echicken on Thu Aug 22 2019 12:49:43

Interesting.. I can't really see how they can continue to operate (and apparently be able to
    maintain a web site) without responding to customers reliably.

I assume it's somebody's half-forgotten side hustle. Costs them next to nothing to keep the company around, maybe makes them a little bit each year or at least breaks even. Maybe lets them write stuff off. Keeping it on life support is probably the path of least resistance; shutting down would take more effort.

Generally I don't have a problem with the idea of using a check. However I don't even have any

I just find the practice outdated and a bit of a flag that I'm dealing with a dinosaur. There are newer faster better ways to transfer funds, and they don't require hold periods or leaving a bunch of money sitting in your chequing account while you wait for the other party to claim it.

On the flip side, when I receive the odd cheque these days at least I can just take a picture of it with my phone to deposit it.

checks anymore because I rarely need to use them. The only time I've ever reagularly used checks for
    payment was when I lived in apartments, and they all took checks for rent payment. None of the
    apartments I've ever lived in took credit/debit card or electronic payment for rent.

The last person I rented from accepted electronic payments. I put an event in my calendar to remind me to send it on the first of every month. It was very convenient. (This was a private arrangement; if it had been through a property management company, I wouldn't be shocked if they had insisted on cheques.)

Ten, twenty years ago, I remember handing over stacks of postdated cheques to landlords that they would cash each month for the duration of the lease, or having to drop a cheque off at the office or landlord's apartment every month. Pretty annoying.

---
    echicken
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Rampage on Thu Aug 22 18:25:09 2019
    By: Rampage to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 2019 03:14 pm

hmm, I thought I had started with version 2.something.. I know I was using 2.something when I took my original BBS down. And I think I had just upgraded to Bruce Morse's Y2K release before I took my BBS down.

Maybe I did start with RA 1.10.. Maybe the registration keys worked with the 2.x versions too?

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Rampage on Thu Aug 22 18:26:12 2019

you're not the only one... i was the last standing RA system, AFAIK, until hurricane florence forced me down...

So there's nobody running RA right now? With all us sysops running BBSes, I was pretty sure some of us are running older BBS packages. And RA was fairly popular..

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Rampage on Thu Aug 22 18:28:31 2019
    By: Rampage to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 2019 03:15 pm

something has changed in your postings... your apostrophies are now
    UTF-8 entities and are no longer being converted like they were
    previously...

now that's really weird... in my reply that i'm responding to now, it has been properly converted... something really has changed somewhere...

I've been seeing the funky character in his messages too. I've updated my message reader to be able to convert from UTF8 to CP437 when necessary, but when I was making that update, I noticed the JavaScript flag passed from Synchronet for whether the message is UTF8 said 0 (false) even when it was UTF8.. Though, for The Millinaire's messages, his messages show up for me just fine except for that apostrophe character..

Nightfox

---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 19:16:19 2019

I've been seeing the funky character in his messages too. I've updated my message reader to be able to convert from UTF8 to CP437 when necessary, but when I was making that update, I noticed the JavaScript flag passed from Synchronet for whether the message is UTF8 said 0 (false) even when it was UTF8.. Though, for The Millinaire's messages, his messages show up for me just fine except for that apostrophe character..

Nightfox

---

$ The Millionaire $

ΓÇÿΓÇÖΓÇÖΓÇÖΓÇÖΓÇÖΓÇÖΓÇÖ

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 19:25:52 2019
    By: Nightfox to The Millionaire on Wed Aug 21 2019 08:59 pm

These kludge lines shouldn't be in the message text.

The build you're running is a not the latest and there were some recent changes in this area, so do you mind updating to the latest and we'll see if this problem goes away?

After that experiment, you can (if you want) set SCFG->Networks->QWK->Hubs->VERT->Include Kludge Lines to "No"
    (as shown here: http://wiki.synchro.net/howto:dove-net) - but Vertrauen should be able to handle/strip these kludge lines automatically, so I am curious how they snuck into the body text.

By: The Millionaire to echicken on Wed Aug 21 2019 07:46 pm

There are some reasons why it might be nice, others why it might not
    be so great. I'd be interested to hear why you'd like to see this
    happen.

Why wouldn't it be a good thing? I love games that's why. The more the better.

This new LORD is being written in Synchronet's JavaScript. That has its advantages (it will run wherever Synchronet runs), but one downside is that it will only work with Synchronet BBSes.

Deuce has a project called jsdoor (it's a fork of jsexec) and a JS door kit (called "dorkit") which will, in theory, allow non-Synchronet BBSes to run Synchronet JS "doors".

If we want inter-network gaming,
    it might only work with ones running on other Synchronet BBSes, unless it's made to read & write game files from the original LORD.

That's true, no inter-BBS networking yet and how that'll work exactly is unsure.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #42:
    Rob Swindell was laughed out of a FidoNet Net103 (OC, Calif.) meeting in 1992. Norco, CA WX: 86.7°F, 45.0% humidity, 12 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Rampage on Thu Aug 22 19:37:16 2019
    By: Rampage to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 2019 02:48 pm

He's

He's been posting via ec's webv4 interface here on Vertrauen and it's not flagging the message text as being UTF-8 encoded, though it is.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #65:
    Synchronet can dynamically compress and uncompress message bases (using LZH). Norco, CA WX: 86.7°F, 45.0% humidity, 12 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 19:39:56 2019
    By: Nightfox to Rampage on Thu Aug 22 2019 02:28 pm

something has changed in your postings... your apostrophies are now
    UTF-8 entities and are no longer being converted like they were
    previously...

Try updating the latest dev-build?

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #40:
    Synchronet has been ported to FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, QNX, and MacOS.
    Norco, CA WX: 87.0°F, 45.0% humidity, 12 mph N wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 19:41:01 2019
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 2019 03:25 pm

By: Nightfox to The Millionaire on Wed Aug 21 2019 08:59 pm

The build you're running is a not the latest and there were some recent changes in this area, so do you mind updating to the latest and we'll see if this problem goes away?

I see now this is related to the UTF-8 encoded messages you're replying to and thus your message is flagged as being UTF-8. I think these case should already be handled in the current code.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #50:
    JAM and Squish were considered before developing Synchronet Message Base format.
    Norco, CA WX: 87.0°F, 45.0% humidity, 12 mph N wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Digital Man on Thu Aug 22 19:57:18 2019
    By: Rampage to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 2019 02:48 pm

He's been posting via ec's webv4 interface here on Vertrauen and it's not flagging the message text as being UTF-8 encoded, though it is.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #65:
    Synchronet can dynamically compress and uncompress message bases (using LZH). Norco, CA WX: 86.7┬░F, 45.0% humidity, 12 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

$ The Millionaire $

Oops get the can of raid. I see a bug here. :-P

---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 19:59:34 2019
    $ The Millionaire $

$ The Millionaire $

The apostrophe is on strike so ill stop using it then. :-/

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Thu Aug 22 21:02:52 2019
    By: echicken to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 2019 05:41 pm

Ten, twenty years ago, I remember handing over stacks of postdated cheques to landlords that they would cash each month for the duration of the lease, or having to drop a cheque off at the office or landlord's apartment every month. Pretty annoying.

I didn't really find that annoying. It didn't take very long to write a rent check and go drop it off. Even if they took debit/credit cards for payment, I'd still have to walk to the office and pay, unless they'd have a web site that would take rent payments online. Sometimes I wished they did. But if I'm renting a place to live from someone, I think there's something to be said for seeing them or some staff face-to-face sometimes, so at least it's easier for them to tell you're a person and not just someone living in apartment #whatever.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Thu Aug 22 21:12:58 2019
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 2019 03:25 pm

I was running a build from August 18th. I've updated to the latest build from today (August 22). Were the changes done between those dates?

After that experiment, you can (if you want) set SCFG->Networks->QWK->Hubs->VERT->Include Kludge Lines to "No" (as shown here: http://wiki.synchro.net/howto:dove-net) - but Vertrauen should be able to handle/strip these kludge lines automatically, so I am curious how they snuck into the body text.

I don't know how the kludge lines got in there. I may end up turning that option off.

Deuce has a project called jsdoor (it's a fork of jsexec) and a JS door kit (called "dorkit") which will, in theory, allow non-Synchronet BBSes to run Synchronet JS "doors".

A few years ago, I had a look at dorkit when I first heard about it. I've thought of porting SlyEdit to Dorkit, but last time I checked, it seemed Dorkit wasn't complete or ready yet. There were some TODOs in the dorkit.js suggesting some important things had to be finished (though offhand, I don't remember what they were).

Nightfox

---
  • From echicken to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 01:28:42 2019
    By: The Millionaire to Digital Man on Thu Aug 22 2019 15:57:18

He's been posting via ec's webv4 interface here on Vertrauen and it's not
    flagging the message text as being UTF-8 encoded, though it is.

Should I be including 'is_utf8: true' in the headers of messages it creates?

---
    echicken
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to echicken on Thu Aug 22 22:44:37 2019

---
    echicken

$ The Millionaire $

Also how about a search on your ecweb4 file section. Saves going through thousands of files.

---
  • From echicken to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 02:14:37 2019
    By: The Millionaire to echicken on Thu Aug 22 2019 18:44:37

Also how about a search on your ecweb4 file section. Saves going through thousands of files.

It'd be very slow. Maybe after Synchronet's File Area stuff gets overhauled.

---
    echicken
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to echicken on Thu Aug 22 23:54:10 2019
    By: The Millionaire to echicken on Thu Aug 22 2019 18:44:37

---
    echicken

$ The Millionaire $

In what way do you mean by overhauled?

---
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Rampage on Fri Aug 23 13:19:00 2019
    On 08-22-19 07:32, Rampage wrote to The Millionaire <=-

it is easy enough to run the original binaries of those doors on
    today's equipment... you just have to figure out how to provide a 16bit environment for them to run in... it isn't that hard... there are
    numeruos emulation environments available for exactly this purpose...
    many of those are also free...

That depends on your setup. For some platforms, DOSBox is one of the main options, but DOSBox has its shortcomings, especially with regards to file locking. On the Pi, DOSBox or QEmu are the options, and each has its issues.

... I was in Chicago once. Blew me away.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to echicken on Fri Aug 23 13:21:00 2019
    On 08-22-19 09:24, echicken wrote to The Millionaire <=-

By: The Millionaire to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 2019 06:02:50

Well Nuke Wars has been dead since 1993 when End Of Time software
    disappeared
    but was extremely popular on the Commodore 64 BBSes back in the 90's. I don't see it being ported yet though.

What's the actual point of porting it though? Do you want new features added to the game? Are there bugs that you're aware of that need to be fixed?

How many of us can run C64 software on our BBSs? :)

... Dawn crept across the lawn, searching for her car keys.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 13:26:00 2019
    On 08-22-19 09:49, Nightfox wrote to The Millionaire <=-

Similarly, Bruce Morse bought the rights to RemoteAccess (from Andrew Milner) in 1999 (I think), but the only thing he did was to release a Y2K-compatible update of RemoteAccess, and he has never done anything
    with it since. I was a bit disappointed, since I had used RemoteAccess for my original BBS in the 90s. When I started my current BBS, I was initially going to use EleBBS, since that's basically a modern clone of RemoteAccess, but it seemed at the time it had a problem running timed events.. I switched to Synchronet and have been happy with it.

Yes, I would have liked to have gone with a modern RA, having also been a RA sysop in the 90s. But yes, Synchronet has certainly proven to be an excellent system.

... Love is grand. Divorce is fifty grand.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 13:36:00 2019
    On 08-22-19 12:49, Nightfox wrote to echicken <=-

Interesting.. I can't really see how they can continue to operate (and apparently be able to maintain a web site) without responding to
    customers reliably.

In any other industry, that would be commercial suicide.

Generally I don't have a problem with the idea of using a check.

I did have to use a bank cheque earlier this year to transfer a large sum of money from a non profit to a local support service. That was to return a grant that we were unable to use in the end, due to drastically changing circumstances.

However I don't even have any checks anymore because I rarely need to

If I ever have to use one, I get one from the bank, though that does cost a little.

use them. The only time I've ever reagularly used checks for payment
    was when I lived in apartments, and they all took checks for rent
    payment. None of the apartments I've ever lived in took credit/debit
    card or electronic payment for rent.

I used to use them occasionally, though in the mail, I more often used postal money orders, because they were cheaper and more convenient than cheques, and I could get them from the post office at the same time I mailed the money order off. I never used enough cheques to warrant having a book.

... god@universe:~ # cvs up && make world
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to echicken on Fri Aug 23 13:39:00 2019
    On 08-22-19 17:41, echicken wrote to Nightfox <=-

The last person I rented from accepted electronic payments. I put an event in my calendar to remind me to send it on the first of every
    month. It was very convenient. (This was a private arrangement; if it had been through a property management company, I wouldn't be shocked
    if they had insisted on cheques.)

In the old days, I used cash for rent, either direct to the landlord or the agent. Today, the agents all have electronic payment facilities and it's done by electronic bank transfers.

... They don't make antiques like they used to.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 13:40:00 2019
    On 08-22-19 14:26, Nightfox wrote to Rampage <=-

So there's nobody running RA right now? With all us sysops running
    BBSes, I was pretty sure some of us are running older BBS packages.
    And RA was fairly popular..

Looks like I might have to resurrect the old Freeway as an online museum piece. :D

... Do not attribute to malice what can be explained by ignorance.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From echicken to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 03:08:41 2019
    By: The Millionaire to echicken on Thu Aug 22 2019 19:54:10

I don't know, really - except that I think DM intends to make some revisions to it at some point. Not sure what he'll do or when.

If that's far off in the future then maybe I'll add more stuff to the web UI's file area browser sooner; if it's coming in the next year, maybe not. Don't want to write a bunch of stuff to handle searches, file uploads, etc. and then have to redo it shortly after.

---
    echicken
  • From echicken to Tony Langdon on Fri Aug 23 03:10:06 2019
    By: Tony Langdon to echicken on Fri Aug 23 2019 09:21:00

but was extremely popular on the Commodore 64 BBSes back in the 90's. I

Mhm, I clearly missed that part of the message.

---
    echicken
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Tony Langdon on Fri Aug 23 00:07:19 2019

=== MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux

$ The Millionaire $

Theres a windoze version of it too dude. Nuke wars 3.80. Its on dms file areas.

---
  • From mark lewis@VERT to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 02:46:08 2019
    On 2019 Aug 22 14:46:54, Rampage wrote to you:

look at ezycom for instance. Stephen Gibbs just packed up and
    disappeared without ever giving the source code or anything.

i misspoke... it is elebbs that i have... sorry...

)\/(ark

Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set
    them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.
    ... Cut the crap before I drop a grenade down your throat!
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From mark lewis@VERT to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 02:47:46 2019
    On 2019 Aug 22 14:25:08, you wrote to Rampage:

hmm, I thought I had started with version 2.something..

you might have... the list of registered users i have at my disposal shows 1.10
    for most of the entries...

I know I was using 2.something when I took my original BBS down. And
    I think I had just upgraded to Bruce Morse's Y2K release before I took
    my BBS down.

understandable...

Maybe I did start with RA 1.10.. Maybe the registration keys worked
    with the 2.x versions too?

either that or new ones were sent out when needed... we picked up RA when it was 0.04... it was registered by the time 0.04a came out...

)\/(ark

... None of us showed conspicuous intelligence on this occasion.
    ---
  • From mark lewis@VERT to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 02:55:46 2019
    On 2019 Aug 22 14:26:12, you wrote to Rampage:

you're not the only one... i was the last standing RA system, AFAIK,
    until hurricane florence forced me down...

So there's nobody running RA right now?

i really don't know... there might be... i'm not aware of any, though... hell, it was all i could do to get responses from folks when bruce made me head of the beta team and asked me to get everyone back together... i think there were maybe 10 or 15 responses and most of those were "no" for various reasons but mainly because folks had jumped to the 'net and weren't running their BBS any more...

With all us sysops running BBSes, I was pretty sure some of us are
    running older BBS packages. And RA was fairly popular..

it was... i wish he had been able to keep up... i've thought about offering to work on it for him but now there's too much time passed... it really needed to go to a server/client type configuration similar to what sbbs is doing... that and 32/64bit... a lot of old DOSisms also needed to be turfed, too... it would have taken some work but i just don't see it coming back unless someone has a *lot* of time to spend porting it to today's pascal and replacing a lot of the old libraries that were used...

)\/(ark

... More annoying than a reformed smoker is a former carboholic.
    ---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Thu Aug 22 23:55:25 2019
    By: echicken to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 2019 09:28 pm

He's been posting via ec's webv4 interface here on Vertrauen and it's
    not flagging the message text as being UTF-8 encoded, though it is.

I think your question should have been directed to Digital Man. It looks you replied to The Millionaire and quoted Digital Man (his quote was 2 levels deep), and your reply was addressed to The Millionaire.

Nightfox

---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to echicken on Fri Aug 23 00:14:16 2019

I don't know, really - except that I think DM intends to make some revisions to it at some point. Not sure what he'll do or when.

If that's far off in the future then maybe I'll add more stuff to the web UI's file area browser sooner; if it's coming in the next year, maybe not. Don't want to write a bunch of stuff to handle searches, file uploads, etc. and then have to redo it shortly after.

---
    echicken

$ The Millionaire $

Revisions as in system or files themselves?

---
  • From echicken to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 03:56:19 2019
    By: Nightfox to echicken on Thu Aug 22 2019 19:55:25

I think your question should have been directed to Digital Man. It looks you replied to The
    Millionaire and quoted Digital Man (his quote was 2 levels deep), and your reply was addressed to
    The Millionaire.

Indeed. Oh well.

---
    echicken
  • From echicken to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 04:05:32 2019
    By: The Millionaire to echicken on Thu Aug 22 2019 20:14:16

Revisions as in system or files themselves?

Revisions to the way Synchronet stores data about File Libraries and File Directories, which would require revisions to anything that reads this same data in its current format.

It might end up not being a big deal to update things when the time comes, but all the same, I'm not interested enough in File Area stuff (yet) to want to work on it now, then work on it again in the near future.

---
    echicken
  • From echicken to Digital Man on Fri Aug 23 04:12:26 2019
    By: Digital Man to Rampage on Thu Aug 22 2019 15:37:16

He's been posting via ec's webv4 interface here on Vertrauen and it's not flagging the message text
    as being UTF-8 encoded, though it is.

(Reposting as I mis-addressed it the first time - thanks Nightfox)

Should I be including 'is_utf8: true' in the headers that it saves?

---
    echicken
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Tony Langdon on Fri Aug 23 01:10:33 2019
    By: Tony Langdon to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 2019 09:40 am

Looks like I might have to resurrect the old Freeway as an online museum piece. :D

I still have a backup of my old RA BBS. I've thought about setting it up as a door on my current BBS.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Fri Aug 23 01:13:54 2019
    By: echicken to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 2019 10:14 pm

Also how about a search on your ecweb4 file section. Saves going
    through thousands of files.

Do you think it would be any slower than the file search when logged in via telnet? What do you think would need to be overhauled in order to do file searching in ecweb?

Nightfox

---
  • From echicken to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 04:42:38 2019
    By: Nightfox to echicken on Thu Aug 22 2019 21:13:54

Do you think it would be any slower than the file search when logged in via telnet? What do you

It would be slower than the textmode file search. Maybe only a bit slower, maybe a lot. Depends on how many File Libraries the BBS has, how many File Directories in each File Library, how many files in each File Directory, and then on the nature and scope of the search.

It's not unreasonably slow, but it would feel like an eternity on the web. I'd at least have to add an animated "Searching ..." indicator to reassure the user something was happening.

think would need to be overhauled in order to do file searching in ecweb?

Nothing needs to be overhauled - I could do it now - but if an overhaul happens I don't want to have to go back and rework a bunch of stuff. (This is partly just a lame excuse. I have a bunch of other reasons for avoiding this particular area of the BBS.)

---
    echicken
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Tony Langdon on Fri Aug 23 01:15:25 2019
    By: Tony Langdon to echicken on Fri Aug 23 2019 09:39 am

In the old days, I used cash for rent, either direct to the landlord or the agent. Today, the agents all have electronic payment facilities and it's done by electronic bank transfers.

Interesting.. I've never lived in an apartment that took rent payments electronically. Apartment rent was the last thing I still used checks to pay for.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 01:16:09 2019
    By: The Millionaire to Tony Langdon on Thu Aug 22 2019 08:07 pm

Didn't you say you'd want to see a Synchronet JavaScript port of it though?

Nightfox

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to echicken on Fri Aug 23 01:52:51 2019
    By: echicken to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 2019 09:28 pm

He's been posting via ec's webv4 interface here on Vertrauen and it's not
    flagging the message text as being UTF-8 encoded, though it is.

That's a read-only property, so you can't "set it".

What you want to do (if the header fields or body text are in UTF-8), is set the new message header "ftn_charset" to "UTF-8 4".

I just realized that this header field was not exposed via JS and fixed that, so you'll need tonight's nightly (when it's built) or the latest in CVS.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #7:
    Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?
    Norco, CA WX: 65.1°F, 85.0% humidity, 2 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 04:05:28 2019
    By: The Millionaire to Netsurge on Thu Aug 22 2019 06:22 am

would be nice to see these games also converted as they were my favs all.

I don't think you will see BRE converted anytime soon as it is still bein actively sold.

he more than made his money back on it.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to echicken on Fri Aug 23 04:08:00 2019
    By: echicken to MRO on Thu Aug 22 2019 09:22 am

i'm wondering if the multiserv guy will try to go after us for having a lord
    clone with the lord name, though. he's an oddball from what i've heard. holding onto the old stuff like a vice.

Is that Gameport? From what I've heard it's silence as usual when people tr to place orders. Not that it means much. Not sure if anything's changed recently, but for whatever reason Deuce is suddenly comfortable working on this.

he either part owns or works at multiserv in overland park , ks.

you might remember michrech, he called multiserv and got his registration code form the lord owner directly. it took a while for them to figure out who he needed to speak to.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 04:08:45 2019
    By: The Millionaire to echicken on Thu Aug 22 2019 06:39 am

look at ezycom for instance. Stephen Gibbs just packed up and disappeared without ever giving the source code or anything. So I guess it goes to show what authors do with their programming.

isnt that the weird guy who couldnt really program?
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 04:09:45 2019
  • From Digital Man@VERT to echicken on Fri Aug 23 02:12:24 2019
    By: echicken to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 2019 11:08 pm

Mainly, it's a more modernized database, using SMB (the same database that was created for message storage, with some minor tweaks).

I have a branch I've been working on and plan to get into CVS "soonish". :-)

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #75:
    Telix = Commercial MS-DOS and Windows communications/terminal program
    Norco, CA WX: 64.8°F, 85.0% humidity, 0 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 04:13:29 2019
    By: Nightfox to echicken on Thu Aug 22 2019 09:52 am

By: echicken to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 22 2019 11:11 am

I registered LORD 2 and Planets: TEOS from them in 2010 and got responses ba for both of those. I suppose I'm glad I registered those when I did, since they apparently stopped responding to peoples' requests later.

during that time i got my new code for lord because they changed the reg scheme and then i got my old reg codes for lord , lord2 and teos.

after that, they got rid of shannon who handled a lot of that stuff.

I also had to mail in a check for payment, which seemed weird in a time when pretty much all online retailers accept card payments online.

their online payment system busted and they never got it working again.
    the owner is a weird fella.
    whats weird is multiserv specializes in online payment systems.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to echicken on Fri Aug 23 04:15:22 2019
    By: echicken to Nightfox on Thu Aug 22 2019 02:35 pm

Unrelatedly, I had to cut a cheque for somebody today and I became irrationa annoyed about it. Told them to get with the times. It's dumb in the same w that it's dumb how realtors and medical professionals still want to use fax machines for everything.

yeah about once a year i see some lady at the grocery store write out a check. fucking get a check card.

i have a checking acct, but havent used checks since like 1998.
    even then, i wrote a few.
    ---
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 22:02:00 2019
    On 08-22-19 20:07, The Millionaire wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

=== MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux

$ The Millionaire $

Theres a windoze version of it too dude. Nuke wars 3.80. Its on dms

That's not going to run too well on a Pi, which is what the BBS runs on. :)

... It's easy to be brave from a safe distance.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to echicken on Fri Aug 23 22:03:00 2019
    On 08-22-19 23:10, echicken wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

By: Tony Langdon to echicken on Fri Aug 23 2019 09:21:00

but was extremely popular on the Commodore 64 BBSes back in the 90's. I

Mhm, I clearly missed that part of the message.

Happens. :-)

... What? Don't you write your own taglines?
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 22:06:00 2019
    On 08-22-19 21:10, Nightfox wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

By: Tony Langdon to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 2019 09:40 am

I still have a backup of my old RA BBS. I've thought about setting it
    up as a door on my current BBS.

Yeah I've toyed with that idea, though I'd have to disable maintenance, FTN transfers and message posting. It would give a snapshot into what was around back in the day.

I could probably run it under DOSBox, or DOSemu on one of the Linux machines with spare capacity and use an outbound telnet to connect to it.

... I'm at the corner of WALK and DON'T WALK...
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 22:06:00 2019
    On 08-22-19 21:15, Nightfox wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

Interesting.. I've never lived in an apartment that took rent payments electronically. Apartment rent was the last thing I still used checks
    to pay for.

Yeah rental agencies here have full on electronic payment systems now, at least around here.

... What is moral is what you feel good after.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 22:08:00 2019
    On 08-22-19 20:07, The Millionaire wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

@VIA: VERT

=== MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux

$ The Millionaire $

Theres a windoze version of it too dude. Nuke wars 3.80. Its on dms
    file areas.

That's not particularly useful either. No BBSs running on Windows here.

... No Virus Found. AARRGGHH!! I've got the No Virus!!
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
    ■ Synchronet ■ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au
  • From Mortifis@VERT/ALLEYCAT to Tony Langdon on Fri Aug 23 13:21:10 2019
    @MSGID: <5D5FAEFB.6448.sync@vert.synchro.net>
    @REPLY: <5D5F685D.40980.dove_sync@digitaldistortionbbs.com>
    @TZ: 0258
    On 08-22-19 21:15, Nightfox wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

Interesting.. I've never lived in an apartment that took rent payments electronically. Apartment rent was the last thing I still used checks to pay for.

Yeah rental agencies here have full on electronic payment systems now, at least around here.

I pay mine via eTransfer, the last place I lived the landlord had a square reader card on his iphone for taking rent payments :-/

My doctor said I have the body of a 25 year old ... and the mind of a 10 :-/

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ AlleyCat! BBS - http://alleycat.synchro.net:81
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Vk3jed on Fri Aug 23 09:38:32 2019

--- MultiMail/Win v0.51
    Γûá Synchronet Γûá Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au

$ The Millionaire $

Well DM still is.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Fri Aug 23 13:40:20 2019
    By: echicken to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 2019 12:42 am

think would need to be overhauled in order to do file searching in
    ecweb?

Nothing needs to be overhauled - I could do it now - but if an overhaul happens I don't want to have to go back and rework a bunch of stuff. (This is partly just a lame excuse. I have a bunch of other reasons for avoiding this particular area of the BBS.)

You have a point though..

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Fri Aug 23 13:46:54 2019
    By: MRO to echicken on Fri Aug 23 2019 12:15 am

i have a checking acct, but havent used checks since like 1998.
    even then, i wrote a few.

I never used checks much, but I still had to use checks to pay apartment rent until I moved out of my last apartment in 2015.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 13:48:50 2019
    By: The Millionaire to Vk3jed on Fri Aug 23 2019 05:38 am

That's not particularly useful either. No BBSs running on Windows
    here.

Well DM still is.

I think the person you quoted meant HE personally isn't running any BBSes on Windows. For sysops on dove-net in general (and all BBS sysops in general), I think a lot of us are running our BBS on Windows. And it seems many are running their BBS on Linux too.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 20:23:10 2019
    By: Nightfox to echicken on Thu Aug 22 2019 12:49 pm

I've heard of a few people getting a response from them over the past t years, but they are far outnumbered by people who went ignored.

Interesting.. I can't really see how they can continue to operate (and apparently be able to maintain a web site) without responding to customers reliably.

he's like us. he just keeps it running. go on his website and follow all those links to websites that look like he last worked on them in 1995
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 20:25:10 2019
    By: Nightfox to Rampage on Thu Aug 22 2019 02:26 pm

you're not the only one... i was the last standing RA system, AFAIK, un hurricane florence forced me down...

So there's nobody running RA right now? With all us sysops running BBSes, I was pretty sure some of us are running older BBS packages. And RA was fairl popular..

there's a few that pop up here and there. i saw a few last year
    ---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 19:41:19 2019
    By: The Millionaire to Vk3jed on Fri Aug 23 2019 05:38 am

I think the person you quoted meant HE personally isn't running any BBSes on Windows. For sysops on dove-net in general (and all BBS sysops in general), I think a lot of us are running our BBS on Windows. And it seems many are running their BBS on Linux too.

Nightfox

---

$ The Millionaire $

Even renegade bbs took a hike too:

ΓÇ£Renegade BBS is not currently under development. That doesn't negate the fact that it's one of the best BBS softwares for new Sysops and one of the
    most user friendly BBS softwares avaliable.

Current sourcecode is on github. Rg has been ported to 32bit by Rick
    Parrish as an exercise.ΓÇ¥

- renegadebbs.info

---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 19:44:20 2019
    $ The Millionaire $

ΓÇ£Renegade BBS is not currently under development. That doesn't negate the fact that it's one of the best BBS softwares for new Sysops and one of the
    most user friendly BBS softwares avaliable.

Current sourcecode is on github. Rg has been ported to 32bit by Rick
    Parrish as an exercise.ΓÇ¥

- renegadebbs.info

$ The Millionaire $

3 bbses still in development:

1. Synchronet
    2. Mystic
    3. Wildcat Professional

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 21:00:52 2019
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 21:06:44 2019
    By: The Millionaire to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 2019 03:44 pm

1. Synchronet
    2. Mystic
    3. Wildcat Professional

Where did you gather that list? I think EleBBS may still also be in development, but I'm not 100% sure.

Nightfox

---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 22:10:53 2019
    By: The Millionaire to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 2019 03:44 pm

Where did you gather that list? I think EleBBS may still also be in development, but I'm not 100% sure.

Nightfox

---

$ The Millionaire $

Elebbs has been dead for years now but the files are still available at the same site still:

https://www.elebbs.com/index.php?category=15

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to The Millionaire on Sat Aug 24 00:29:52 2019
    By: The Millionaire to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 2019 03:41 pm

you just fucking realized this? renegade has been a mess since cott lang.
    ---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to MRO on Fri Aug 23 22:51:38 2019
    By: The Millionaire to Nightfox on Fri Aug 23 2019 03:41 pm

you just fucking realized this? renegade has been a mess since cott lang.
    ---
    Γûá Synchronet Γûá ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

$ The Millionaire $

I donΓÇÖt think DM appreciates your swearing all the time on his message areas. You should be a little more respectable with people youΓÇÖre as DM says this area is internationally connected.

---
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to Mortifis on Sat Aug 24 15:25:00 2019
    On 08-23-19 09:21, Mortifis wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

I pay mine via eTransfer, the last place I lived the landlord had a
    square reader card on his iphone for taking rent payments :-/

Yeah times change. :)

... All the stats in the world don't mean as much as a human feeling.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to The Millionaire on Sat Aug 24 15:25:00 2019
    -=> On 08-23-19 05:38, The Millionaire wrote to Vk3jed <=-

--- MultiMail/Win v0.51
    Γûá Synchronet Γûá Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au

$ The Millionaire $

Well DM still is.

I'm not DM. :)

... Alien plot? What have you heard of an alien plot?
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to The Millionaire on Sat Aug 24 15:42:00 2019
    -=> On 08-23-19 15:44, The Millionaire wrote to The Millionaire <=-

1. Synchronet
    2. Mystic
    3. Wildcat Professional

Also WWIV.

... A bird in the hand's better than one overhead.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Tony Langdon on Fri Aug 23 23:21:22 2019

Also WWIV.

=== MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux

$ The Millionaire $

2018. ThatΓÇÖs almost a year!

---
  • From echicken to The Millionaire on Sat Aug 24 03:15:28 2019
    By: The Millionaire to MRO on Fri Aug 23 2019 18:51:38

$ The Millionaire $

I don’t think DM appreciates your swearing all the time on his message areas.
    You should be a little more respectable with people you’re as DM says this
    area is internationally connected.

You're violating international law by putting your signature above your posts.

---
    echicken
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to echicken on Sat Aug 24 00:48:39 2019
    @MSGID: <5D60ABD0.34733.sync@bbs.electronicchicken.com>
    @REPLY: <5D60982A.6488.sync@vert.synchro.net>
    @TZ: c12c
    By: The Millionaire to MRO on Fri Aug 23 2019 18:51:38

You're violating international law by putting your signature above your posts.

---
    echicken

Ecweb does that not me.

$ The Millionaire $

---
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Nightfox on Sat Aug 24 02:46:00 2019
    Nightfox wrote to The Millionaire <=-

1. Synchronet
    2. Mystic
    3. Wildcat Professional

Where did you gather that list? I think EleBBS may still also be
    in development, but I'm not 100% sure.

There is also a rewrite/clone of PCBoard under active development,
    version 16 (maybe a beta) should be out in public in a month or
    two.

... A day without sunshine is like night.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Tony Langdon@VERT to The Millionaire on Sat Aug 24 23:01:00 2019
    -=> On 08-23-19 19:21, The Millionaire wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

Also WWIV.

=== MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux

$ The Millionaire $

2018. ThatΓÇÖs almost a year!

I'm sure Rushfan would disagree with your assessment. :)

... Class trip to the Coca-Cola factory. Pop Quiz To Follow.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to The Millionaire on Fri Aug 23 10:55:00 2019
    The Millionaire wrote to Digital Man <=-

If only I could buy a can of RAID and plug it into the motherboard. I'm running out of space!
    ... Do you have access to your previous configuration?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From mark lewis@VERT to The Millionaire on Sat Aug 24 18:48:02 2019
    On 2019 Aug 22 20:07:18, you wrote to Tony Langdon:

ummm... BBS door games are what was being discussed... it would appear that this nuke wars thing is not a BBS door game... or i'm misunderstanding something...

)\/(ark

... Whatever awaits you around the corner, God is already there.
    ---
  • From mark lewis@VERT to The Millionaire on Sat Aug 24 18:55:58 2019
    On 2019 Aug 23 20:48:38, you wrote to echicken:

You're violating international law by putting your signature above your
    posts.

Ecweb does that not me.

if the signature is already in the message when you start to write your response, you should move your cursor up to the proper place and then write... same as you should be deleting irrelevent lines, too ;)

)\/(ark

... Forgiveness is cheaper than a lawsuit, but not nearly as rewarding.
    ---
  • From echicken to mark lewis on Sat Aug 24 19:23:30 2019
    By: mark lewis to The Millionaire on Sat Aug 24 2019 14:55:58

if the signature is already in the message when you start to write your response, you should move your cursor up to the proper place and then write...
    same as you should be deleting irrelevent lines, too ;)

I even went to the trouble of resetting the cursor position after the sig was added, so that if you tab into the input box the cursor is above the signature. (Doesn't help if you click or tap below the signature though. Maybe I can change that.)

I suppose I could just make it append the signature without including it in the input box. I'll ponder these things the next time I do some work on the rewrite of that Forum page.

---
    echicken
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to mark lewis on Sat Aug 24 17:44:21 2019
    It was a door game at one time.

$ The Millionaire $

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From mark lewis@VERT to echicken on Tue Aug 27 17:05:58 2019
    On 2019 Aug 24 15:23:30, you wrote to me:

I suppose I could just make it append the signature without including it
    in
    the input box. I'll ponder these things the next time I do some work on the rewrite of that Forum page.

yeah, i'd automatically add the signature when the message is saved instead of doing it beforehand and expecting users to do the right things... remember to not add the sig if the message is aborted ;)

)\/(ark

... Waiting like a stalking butler.
    ---
  • From mark lewis@VERT to The Millionaire on Tue Aug 27 17:07:16 2019
    On 2019 Aug 24 13:44:20, you wrote to me:

what was a door game at one time? the subject says "lord" and it still is a door game...

)\/(ark

... Canada: the state so clever, it doesn't pay taxes to Washington!
    ---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to mark lewis on Tue Aug 27 18:18:25 2019
    On 2019 Aug 24 13:44:20, you wrote to me:

what was a door game at one time? the subject says "lord" and it still is a door game...

)\/(ark

them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them. ... Canada: the state so clever, it doesn't pay taxes to Washington!
    ---

Nuke Wars was a door game at one time.

$ The Millionaire $

---
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to mark lewis on Tue Aug 27 20:33:00 2019
    mark lewis wrote to The Millionaire <=-

what was a door game at one time? the subject says "lord" and it
    still is a door game...

Yep. It seems like The Millionaire has forgotten how to quote a
    message when he replies. Again.

... Pros are those who do their jobs well, even when they don't feel like it. --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Gamgee on Tue Aug 27 20:52:34 2019
    Yep. It seems like The Millionaire has forgotten how to quote a
    message when he replies. Again.

... Pros are those who do their jobs well, even when they don't feel like it. --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    ¨ Synchronet ¨ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

yes I get forgetful at times. Nobody's perfect in the world for that
    reason.

$ The Millionaire $

---
  • From mark lewis@VERT to The Millionaire on Thu Aug 29 14:33:50 2019
    On 2019 Aug 27 14:18:24, you wrote to me:

what was a door game at one time? the subject says "lord" and it still is
    a door game...

[trim irrelevent quoted shit]

Nuke Wars was a door game at one time.

then why did you bring up the subject of it being a C64 game??? /rhetorical

)\/(ark

... Hydrogen bombs are great party gags.
    ---