• chksetup.js

From Digital Man@VERT to All on Sat Jan 11 19:50:59 2020
    I just wanted to direct the attention of Synchronet sysops to exec/chksetup.js:

You can run this script from an OS command prompt using jsexec, like so: "jsexec chksetup"

It will report any common issues found with your Synchronet configuration and data. If you want more detailed output about discovered issues, you can increase the verbosity with the "-v" option ("jsexec chksetup -v").

An ideal Synchronet setup will report "No issues discovered" when running chksetup.js

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #12:
    CBM = Commodore Business Machines
    Norco, CA WX: 60.6°F, 59.0% humidity, 6 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Digital Man on Sat Jan 11 22:40:52 2020
    Digital wrote:

You can run this script from an OS command prompt using jsexec, like so: "jsexec chksetup"

It will report any common issues found with your Synchronet configuration and data. If you want more detailed output about discovered issues, you can increase the verbosity with the "-v" option ("jsexec chksetup -v").

An ideal Synchronet setup will report "No issues discovered" when running chksetup.js

Interesting:

!User #16 has a disallowed password

How can a user enter a disallowed password if it's disallowed? I'm sure I didn't put any config in after they created their account. How would I
    check? It looks like they created their account through the HTTP interface,
    so maybe this is more an echicken thing?

Opening list file: /sbbs/data/sbbslist.json
    !finger ?bbs:End Of The Line BBS@vert.synchro.net result: TypeError: finger_result.join is not a function

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Nelgin on Sat Jan 11 21:43:52 2020
    Re: Re: chksetup.js
    By: Nelgin to Digital Man on Sat Jan 11 2020 05:40 pm

Digital wrote:

Interesting:

!User #16 has a disallowed password

How can a user enter a disallowed password if it's disallowed? I'm sure I didn't put any config in after they created their account. How would I check? It looks like they created their account through the HTTP interface, so maybe this is more an echicken thing?

Yeah, and that could've been fixed (e.g. in ecWeb, if that's the cause) since the user account was created.

!finger ?bbs:End Of The Line BBS@vert.synchro.net result: TypeError: finger_result.join is not a function

I lost Internet connectivity for a bit here this afternoon. I think that triggered that error. Try again?

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #24:
    David St. Hubbins: You're a haughty one, saucy Jack.
    Norco, CA WX: 56.8°F, 70.0% humidity, 4 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Digital Man on Sun Jan 12 13:56:30 2020
    Re: chksetup.js
    By: Digital Man to All on Sat Jan 11 2020 14:50:59

you can increase the verbosity with the "-v" option ("jsexec chksetup -v").

i'm not seeing any difference between no "-v" and with "-v"... i updated just a few days ago...

// $Id: chksetup.js,v 1.9 2020/01/06 00:14:17 rswindell Exp $

the only other thing is that mine always tell me that my sbbslist.json entry for my system is different than the one on vert... i suspect this may be due to my event which updates my entry... it is possibly being executed after the update is sent to vert... i'll have to look at that and see if that's the case... perhaps this particular check can be enhanced to show the actual differences between the two?

)\/(ark

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Rampage on Sun Jan 12 16:52:29 2020
    By: Rampage to Digital Man on Sun Jan 12 2020 08:56 am

By: Digital Man to All on Sat Jan 11 2020 14:50:59

i'm not seeing any difference between no "-v" and with "-v"... i updated just a few days ago...

Depending on what issues are found, that's often the case.

the only other thing is that mine always tell me that my sbbslist.json entry for my system is different than the one on vert... i suspect this may be due to my event which updates my entry... it is possibly being executed after the update is sent to vert... i'll have to look at that and see if that's the case... perhaps this particular check can be enhanced to show the actual differences between the two?

Perhaps, though, that's not a simple thing to do.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #49:
    NNTP = Network News Transfer Protocol
    Norco, CA WX: 59.4°F, 64.0% humidity, 2 mph WSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Digital Man on Mon Jan 13 13:35:39 2020
    By: Digital Man to Rampage on Sun Jan 12 2020 11:52:29

i'm not seeing any difference between no "-v" and with "-v"... i updated
    just a few days ago...

Depending on what issues are found, that's often the case.

oh, ok... i was expecting to see a little more diagnostic info... not debug but just more details about what was happening at that stage...

the only other thing is that mine always tell me that my sbbslist.json
    entry for my system is different than the one on vert... i suspect this
    may be due to my event which updates my entry... it is possibly being
    executed after the update is sent to vert... i'll have to look at that
    and see if that's the case... perhaps this particular check can be
    enhanced to show the actual differences between the two?

Perhaps, though, that's not a simple thing to do.

i'm guessing you're responding to my question about showing the differences... i'm probably thinking in linux-style too much... i was thinking of saving the file pulled from vert for the check and then diffing it with the local one but yeah, i can see how there may be differences even doing that... plus i don't think that diff comes with winwhatever... i'll think about that some more and still have to look at my event times to see when my update of my local bbslist entry is performed vs when it is sent to vert for updating the master list there... i may be running the event which updates locally more than once through the day, too... just not sure ATM...

)\/(ark

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From Ragnarok@VERT/DOCKSUD to Digital Man on Mon Jan 13 15:21:34 2020
    El 11/1/20 a las 19:50, Digital Man escribió:

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #12:
    CBM = Commodore Business Machines
    Norco, CA WX: 60.6�F, 59.0% humidity, 6 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    � Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
    good tool! i have two issues:

!QWK-networked sub (rtn_mysti) has a long tagline
    !QWK-networked sub (rtn_sync) has a long tagline
    !QWK-networked sub (rtn_ti) has a long tagline
    !QWK-networked sub (rtn_cnet) has a long tagline
    !279 msg sub-boards have QWKnet taglines exceeding 63 printed characters Invoking: check_fido_origlines
    Invoking: check_bbs_list
    !'Dock Sud BBS' BBS entry on vert.synchro.net is different than local
    Invoking: check_syncdata
    Invoking: check_imsg_list
    Invoking: check_dove_net
    Invoking: check_sub_codes
    Invoking: check_dir_codes
    Invoking: check_xtrn_codes
    Invoking: check_sockopts_ini
    !2 issues discovered
    /sbbs/exec/chksetup.js executed in 2.20 seconds

i will verify if sbbslist are synced, but the "has a long tagline" how
    to fix it?

thanks!

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Dock Sud BBS TLD 24 HS - http://bbs.docksud.com.ar - telnet://bbs.docksud.com.ar
  • From mark lewis@VERT to Ragnarok on Mon Jan 13 14:34:46 2020
    By: Ragnarok to Digital Man on Mon Jan 13 2020 10:21:34

to fix it?

shorten it? seems legit...

FWIW: i can't see it from here because i'm on the other side of the QWK<->FTN gateway so your message here has your QWK origin line in it... but do you really need to list connection protocols and domains in your origin lines? they
    are generally used to list just the system name and possibly city/country location...

)\/(ark
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR (1:3634/12)
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Ragnarok on Mon Jan 13 19:18:50 2020
    By: Ragnarok to Digital Man on Mon Jan 13 2020 10:21 am

El 11/1/20 a las 19:50, Digital Man escribió:

good tool! i have two issues:

!QWK-networked sub (rtn_mysti) has a long tagline
    !QWK-networked sub (rtn_sync) has a long tagline
    !QWK-networked sub (rtn_ti) has a long tagline
    !QWK-networked sub (rtn_cnet) has a long tagline
    !279 msg sub-boards have QWKnet taglines exceeding 63 printed characters Invoking: check_fido_origlines
    Invoking: check_bbs_list
    !'Dock Sud BBS' BBS entry on vert.synchro.net is different than local Invoking: check_syncdata
    Invoking: check_imsg_list
    Invoking: check_dove_net
    Invoking: check_sub_codes
    Invoking: check_dir_codes
    Invoking: check_xtrn_codes
    Invoking: check_sockopts_ini
    !2 issues discovered
    /sbbs/exec/chksetup.js executed in 2.20 seconds

to fix it?

Shorten the QWK tagline(s), otherwise, they'll wrap when displayed on 80-column terminal.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #31:
    The Synchronet IRC server (ircd) was written in JS by Randy Sommerfeld (Cyan). Norco, CA WX: 60.7°F, 57.0% humidity, 2 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Ragnarok@VERT/DOCKSUD to mark lewis on Mon Jan 20 18:43:32 2020
    El 13/1/20 a las 11:34, mark lewis escribió:

i will verify if sbbslist are synced, but the "has a long tagline" how to fix it?

FWIW: i can't see it from here because i'm on the other side of the
    QWK<->FTN
    gateway so your message here has your QWK origin line in it... but do you really need to list connection protocols and domains in your origin lines? they
    are generally used to list just the system name and possibly city/country location...

Yeap i will change it, are the limit up to 80 characters? maybe scfg
    must warning that limit.

Saludos!

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Dock Sud BBS TLD 24 HS - bbs.docksud.com.ar
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Ragnarok on Mon Jan 20 19:39:44 2020
    By: Ragnarok to mark lewis on Mon Jan 20 2020 01:43 pm

El 13/1/20 a las 11:34, mark lewis escribió:

i will verify if sbbslist are synced, but the "has a long tagline" how to fix it?

FWIW: i can't see it from here because i'm on the other side of the
    QWK<->FTN
    gateway so your message here has your QWK origin line in it... but do you really need to list connection protocols and domains in your origin lines? they

Yeap i will change it, are the limit up to 80 characters? maybe scfg
    must warning that limit.

Ideally, 79 characters. It's not a strictly-enforced limit, just a suggestion for nice readability on the majority of (80-col) terminals.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #15:
    Review on "Shark Sandwich", merely a two word review: "Shit Sandwich".
    Norco, CA WX: 58.9°F, 69.0% humidity, 8 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---