• Linux and Dosemu

From Stonec0ld@VERT to All on Wed Mar 18 17:54:10 2020
    Hi all,

I've been away from this for a number of years, trying to get this set up again from scratch on a mostly up-to-date installation of Gentoo Linux.
    Finally got it to actually run properly without protocol errors involving X.org by reinstalling it with NO_X and NO_GTK. But, I'm stuck with Dosemu for my sysop-only DOS Command Prompt. I followed the Linux/Dosemu guide exactly, and I have done this before and it's always worked. But, now it does not.

No matter what I set the "Intercept I/O" setting to (Standard, Console or No), it is refusing to capture the DOS console for the terminal. All I get on the terminal is a few errors about missing sound card information and missing /media/cdrom directory (which is pretty much irrelevant and should be easy enough to solve if I can find where to disable it), and then nothing--while the command prompt appears in a "DOS in a Box" window on the Linux PC. I'm using a separate Windows PC to connect to it with SyncTerm. Sure, I can do whatever I need to do in this "DOS in a Box" window on the Linux PC, but that's not always practical for me.

On a second note, I also tried following the directions on how to get rid of that "DOS in a Box" window from showing up, but after creating a Bash script and pointing the appropriate Dosemu path line in sbbs.ini to it, all I get is an error:

Error in commandline: (Line 001) syntax error
    1 error(s) detected while parsing the configuration-file

And, nothing actually runs.

Dosemu is version 1.4.0.8 (only version available on Gentoo's Portage)

Sorry about putting two problems in one message, but they could potentially be related.... Any ideas why it won't intercept the I/O from the command prompt, and why I can't get a custom DosEmuPath=/sbbs/xtrn/mydosemu bash script to work?

Thanks

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Stonec0ld@VERT to All on Wed Mar 18 18:36:07 2020
    Re: Linux and Dosemu
    By: Stonec0ld to All on Wed Mar 18 2020 01:54 pm

Hi all,

I've been away from this for a number of years, trying to get this set up again from scratch on a mostly up-to-date installation of Gentoo Linux.

etc...etc...

Dosemu is version 1.4.0.8 (only version available on Gentoo's Portage)

Sorry about putting two problems in one message, but they could potentially be related.... Any ideas why it won't intercept the I/O from the command prompt, and why I can't get a custom DosEmuPath=/sbbs/xtrn/mydosemu bash script to work?

Thanks

Ooops.... Go figure, as soon as I post a question asking about it, I accidentally stumbled on the solution... Apparently, the bash script was being executed, the line I had calling dosemu was flawed. Corrected the line in the script calling dosemu, with the correct -t commandline option, and both issues are solved. Command Prompt now works fine within the terminal, and no Dosemu windows popping up on my Linux box.... :)

So, please disregard my last message... Thanks!

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net