• YouTube Video

From The Lizard Master@VERT/NITEEYES to All on Wed Apr 1 04:05:34 2020
    Wow, that video looks pretty great flipping through a little Digital Man. I wish to hell I saw that crap three days eariler. Hahaha.

---TLM

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ My Brand-New BBS
  • From The Lizard Master@VERT/NITEEYES to All on Wed Apr 1 04:11:10 2020
    Re: YouTube Video
    By: The Lizard Master to All on Wed Apr 01 2020 12:05 am

Wow, that video looks pretty great flipping through a little Digital Man. I wish to hell I saw that crap three days eariler. Hahaha.

---TLM

I had to reply to myself. Sitting here stunned that just seven days ago DM detailed everything and I was reading ten year old web pages just trying to get to this point (not the sync wiki, that's no knock on that, more on linux side). I told my wife I was just reading through the announcements and there's a damn 1 hour how to video DM literally just posted. haha.

---TLM

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to The Lizard Master on Wed Apr 1 01:58:56 2020

Well I haven't covered Linux-DOSEMU... yet.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #71:
    The largest dial-up Synchronet BBS was The Easy Street BBS with 25 nodes/lines. Norco, CA WX: 62.3°F, 59.0% humidity, 0 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Digital Man on Wed Apr 1 12:43:25 2020
    By: Digital Man to The Lizard Master on Tue Mar 31 2020 21:58:56

linux-dosemu is easy once one realizes that it is separate from their user's dosemu... when they realize that, they should realize they can copy their fossil driver to /sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/c_drive and then just modify the autoexec.bat and config.sys in the c_drive there... when that's done, /sbbs/ctrl/emusetup.bat isn't needed ;)

i (still) need to write a page somewhere about this... just not sure where without farkling with existing ones... but yeah, there's no need for so much hoop jumping as there has been in the past...

)\/(ark

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From The Lizard Master@VERT/NITEEYES to Digital Man on Wed Apr 1 14:00:20 2020
    By: Digital Man to The Lizard Master on Tue Mar 31 2020 09:58 pm

Well that's the step I'm currently hung up on too, so looking forward to that ha! Just funny your video coinceided with me setting up on Ubuntu for the first time ever. I was surprised by the date of posting.

---TLM

---
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Rampage on Wed Apr 1 20:08:19 2020
    By: Rampage to Digital Man on Wed Apr 01 2020 08:43 am

linux-dosemu is easy once one realizes that it is separate from their user's dosemu... when they realize that, they should realize they can copy their fossil driver to /sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/c_drive and then just modify the autoexec.bat and config.sys in the c_drive there... when that's done, /sbbs/ctrl/emusetup.bat isn't needed ;)

What if you don't have a /sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu?
    Can you make one? I know I did dosemu=1 when I setup SBBS, but what you have there isn't in my /sbbs/ctrl.

Grease
    Dark Matter BBS
    QWK: DoveNet, fsxNet, SFNet, SciNet

... I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Dark Matter BBS. darkmatt.synchro.net. Kurten, TX. Howdy from Texas!
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Grease on Thu Apr 2 10:23:37 2020
    By: Grease to Rampage on Wed Apr 01 2020 16:08:19

linux-dosemu is easy once one realizes that it is separate from their
    user's dosemu... when they realize that, they should realize they can
    copy their fossil driver to /sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu/c_drive and then just
    modify the autoexec.bat and config.sys in the c_drive there... when
    that's done, /sbbs/ctrl/emusetup.bat isn't needed ;)

Grease> What if you don't have a /sbbs/ctrl/.dosemu?

you will/should after the first time you attempt to run dosemu from sbbs... that's an important step along with one or two others setting a couple of options in dosemu's config and possibly one or two in the system...

Grease> Can you make one?

i suppose you could but it is better to let dosemu handle the initial config and directory creation...

Grease> I know I did dosemu=1 when I setup SBBS,

that just sets sbbs up to use dosemu and opens the proper code path... nothing more...

Grease> but what you have there isn't in my /sbbs/ctrl.

let me see if i can get some time to spin up a virtual machine, install sbbs on a clean barebones setup with dosemu, and get a wiki page or document written... once the initial steps are done, it all just works but you have to do some things in a certain way...

deity knows i've 'locked' my system several times trying to do something in/with dosemu and i've done something wrong... worst is when i forget that i'm ssh'd in and try to use my dosemu command prompt from sbbs to run some door setup/config program... i usually have to terminate the session and use another terminal to telnet in and go that route instead... i'm not sure if it is because my ssh terminal window is 266x70 or if it is because i'm using ssh but whatever it is, it stops me cold and the session simply stops responding...

)\/(ark

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From Hemo@VERT/UJOINT to Rampage on Thu Apr 2 16:43:43 2020
    By: Rampage to Grease on Thu Apr 02 2020 06:23 am

deity knows i've 'locked' my system several times trying to do something in/with dosemu and i've done something wrong... worst is when i forget that i'm ssh'd in and try to use my dosemu command prompt from sbbs to run some door setup/config program... i usually have to terminate the session and use another terminal to telnet in and go that route instead... i'm not sure if it is because my ssh terminal window is 266x70 or if it is because i'm using ssh but whatever it is, it stops me cold and the session simply stops responding...

One time I recall discovering what was happening when I encountered off 'disconnects' when trying to run dosemu via ssh. I was ssh in, but could see my remote system in a remote desktop session, when I fired up dosemu from the ssh, I saw the dosemu window appear on the console X display. If you have the X system installed, dosemu might be firing up and displaying to the local X system. Once I knew what was happening, I could actullay enter the keypresses in the ssh session and see them take effect on the dosemu window that I could not see.

try 'unset DISPLAY' prior to firing up dosemu and it basically forces dosemu to use text/console instead of SDL/X

... Several excuses are always less convincing than one.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ - Running madly into the wind and screaming - bbs.ujoint.org
  • From mark lewis@VERT to Hemo on Thu Apr 2 19:32:14 2020
    Re: dosemu [was Youtube Video]
    By: Hemo to Rampage on Thu Apr 02 2020 12:43:43

Hemo> encountered off 'disconnects' when trying to run dosemu via ssh.
    Hemo> I was ssh in, but could see my remote system in a remote desktop
    Hemo> session, when I fired up dosemu from the ssh, I saw the dosemu
    Hemo> window appear on the console X display. If you have the X system
    Hemo> installed, dosemu might be firing up and displaying to the local
    Hemo> X system.

interesting... unfortunately my system, sestar, runs in a KVM/QEMU VM on ubuntu
    server so there's no X at all... only command line... there shouldn't be any X libs installed, either...

Hemo> Once I knew what was happening, I could actullay enter the
    Hemo> keypresses in the ssh session and see them take effect on the
    Hemo> dosemu window that I could not see.

the funny thing is that while i do use X on my main station, it is only as a "task switcher" in that i mostly open CLI windows even though i do have numerous GUI apps that i use... i wonder if my command line ssh into sbbs is doing something weird in that respect? i actually ssh in to both, sbbs and the command line... sbbs for doing the BBS stuff and handling the sbbs DOSemu stuff... command line for monitoring the BBS logs and doing work behind the scenes... while i have run DOSemu over ssh, i've not done that regularly and haven't had any problems when i have but that's also using my user's DOSemu which is separate from sbbs' DOSemu...

)\/(ark
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR (1:3634/12)
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Rampage on Fri Apr 3 13:52:00 2020

you will/should after the first time you attempt to run dosemu from sbbs... that's an important step along with one or two others setting
    a couple of options in dosemu's config and possibly one or two in the

That's the part I didn't know. Okay, you have to do one first.

let me see if i can get some time to spin up a virtual machine,
    install sbbs on a clean barebones setup with dosemu, and get a wiki
    page or document written... once the initial steps are done, it all
    just works but you have to do some things in a certain way...

That would be fabulous! All I can find is for older versions. Or, it's
    like grandma's recipes. It's mostly there, but one little thing that
    makes the difference is left out.

deity knows i've 'locked' my system several times trying to do
    something in/with dosemu and i've done something wrong... worst is
    when i forget that i'm ssh'd in and try to use my dosemu command
    prompt from sbbs to run some door setup/config program... i usually
    have to terminate the session and use another terminal to telnet in
    and go that route instead... i'm not sure if it is because my ssh
    terminal window is 266x70 or if it is because i'm using ssh but
    whatever it is, it stops me cold and the session simply stops responding...

I hate when that happens....:(
    Grease
    Dark Matter BBS

QWK: DoveNet, fsxNet, SFNet, SciNet
    ... Computer Hacker wanted. Must have own axe.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ Dark Matter BBS. darkmatt.synchro.net. Kurten, TX. Howdy from Texas!
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Digital Man on Fri Apr 3 20:00:44 2020
    I loved your video man. Keep them coming. :-)

$ The Millionaire $

..."Will we ever fear the ecstasy of free thought?" - Thinkman...

---