• Command Shell best practices

From Paulie420@VERT/PAULIE42 to All on Wed May 13 21:24:09 2020
    So one part of Synchronet that I'm figuring out...

I was never a Sync guy, back in the day anyway.. my BBS was always a little smaller and close knit than the multi-node TBBS or *sync* boards. At any rate, the sync default command shell was never my favorite. I liked WWIV or Renegade; with RG by far being *my* BBS menu structure of choice.

So, I was fumbling a bit with editing synchro menus... its not like standard BBS softwares that I'm used to (Telegard, Renegade, Obv/2, even Mystic..). But I'm now seeing just how powerful Synchronet is.

I've learned that I can take the Renegade clone command shell, and use that as my main shell for my BBS. I have some questions about doing so. So lets say that I want my BBS to look one way, and not use multiple command shells. I think that its most smart for me, since I like the Renegade way of menu structure, to use the Renegade clone command shell. OK, I've been doing that... and adding ANSI menus to text/menu/renegade ... ok, check on the four menus that Renegade command shell calls for.

But, I notice that say... for the other menus I can't just add a qwk.ans to text/menu/renegade ... but I could add it in text/menu. Long story short, if I only want to use one shell, do I erase the others? Do I change Renegade to default and not use /renegade? Do I use /renegade for the four menus it calls for and then just edit like qwk.ans in the regular text/menu directoy?

I want to ultimately edit the renegade clone to add some things that are unique to my board... but first I want to get deep into all the different menus and edit ansi's to all match.

I guess I'm just asking whats the best way to add those deeper menus, that the Renegade command shell currently falls back on the default synchronet menus for?

Gosh I hope I'm making a little sense. I sometimes feel that my mind is jumbled when discussing sync... but I'm trying.

:P

|08Paulie|15420
    |15M|08@|15STERM|07i|15ND
    |14AmericanPiBBS|04.com|07

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ >>>American Pi BBS @ AmericanPiBBS.com:23>>>Rockin like its 1993!>>>
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Paulie420 on Thu May 14 01:51:33 2020
    Re: Command Shell best practices
    By: Paulie420 to All on Wed May 13 2020 05:24 pm

So one part of Synchronet that I'm figuring out...

I was never a Sync guy, back in the day anyway.. my BBS was always a little smaller and close knit than the multi-node TBBS or *sync* boards. At any rate, the sync default command shell was never my favorite. I liked WWIV or Renegade; with RG by far being *my* BBS menu structure of choice.

So, I was fumbling a bit with editing synchro menus... its not like standard BBS softwares that I'm used to (Telegard, Renegade, Obv/2, even Mystic..). But I'm now seeing just how powerful Synchronet is.

Ah, cool that you've come to that conclusion. :-)

I've learned that I can take the Renegade clone command shell, and use that as my main shell for my BBS. I have some questions about doing so. So lets say that I want my BBS to look one way, and not use multiple command shells. I think that its most smart for me, since I like the Renegade way of menu structure, to use the Renegade clone command shell. OK, I've been doing that... and adding ANSI menus to text/menu/renegade ... ok, check on the four menus that Renegade command shell calls for.

But, I notice that say... for the other menus I can't just add a qwk.ans to text/menu/renegade ... but I could add it in text/menu. Long story short, if I only want to use one shell, do I erase the others? Do I change Renegade to default and not use /renegade? Do I use /renegade for the four menus it calls for and then just edit like qwk.ans in the regular text/menu directoy?

I want to ultimately edit the renegade clone to add some things that are unique to my board... but first I want to get deep into all the different menus and edit ansi's to all match.

I guess I'm just asking whats the best way to add those deeper menus, that the Renegade command shell currently falls back on the default synchronet menus for?

Gosh I hope I'm making a little sense. I sometimes feel that my mind is jumbled when discussing sync... but I'm trying.

I totally get what you're saying. If you know that you aren't going to be making *any* other command shells available to your users, then just move the text/menu/renegade/* files into text/menu, copy exec/renegade.src to exec/yourshell.src and then remove the "renegade/" parts of the menu paths in the file. Then edit all the menu files (*.msg is preferred) to suit your style/command-keys.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #58:
    POP3 = Post Office Protocol version 3
    Norco, CA WX: 60.6°F, 69.0% humidity, 5 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Paulie420 on Thu May 14 10:34:07 2020
    By: Paulie420 to All on Wed May 13 2020 17:24:09

Paulie420> But, I notice that say... for the other menus I can't just add
    Paulie420> a qwk.ans to text/menu/renegade ... but I could add it in
    Paulie420> text/menu. Long story short, if I only want to use one shell, do
    Paulie420> I erase the others? Do I change Renegade to default and not use
    Paulie420> /renegade? Do I use /renegade for the four menus it calls for
    Paulie420> and then just edit like qwk.ans in the regular text/menu
    Paulie420> directoy?

that's easy... copy the renegade one to a new name for your mods... make a new directory for its stuff... then edit the copy to point to the new directory you just created... any existing files from the original that you want to use would be copied to the new directory since that's where it would be looking due to your edits forcing that new directory path ;)

)\/(ark

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Digital Man on Thu May 14 10:37:23 2020
    By: Digital Man to Paulie420 on Wed May 13 2020 21:51:33

If you know that you aren't going to be making *any* other command
    shells available to your users, then just move the
    text/menu/renegade/* files into text/menu, copy exec/renegade.src to exec/yourshell.src and then remove the "renegade/" parts of the menu
    paths in the file. Then edit all the menu files (*.msg is preferred)
    to suit your style/command-keys.

i went the other way by copying and creating a new directory for the new shell... i did this to preserve the original files for when one might do a cvs update so there's no conflict... but this would probably only be important to those riding on the bleeding edge who "cvs up" fairly often...

)\/(ark

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From Patrick Siglin@VERT to Paulie420 on Thu May 14 11:20:02 2020

You can take the renegade .src file and modify it any way you want. Baja.exe compiles it. Mine is based off of Major bbs and I added the custom commands I wanted and comipiled with Baja. You then add the ansi menus to further make it more custom.

* Patrick Siglin - bbs.memphistw.org *
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Win32
    * Origin: bbs.memphistw.org (1:229/424)
  • From Paulie420@VERT/PAULIE42 to Digital Man on Thu May 14 04:39:01 2020
    By: Digital Man to Paulie420 on Wed May 13 2020 09:51 pm

Gosh I hope I'm making a little sense. I sometimes feel that my mind is
    jumbled when discussing sync... but I'm trying.

I totally get what you're saying. If you know that you aren't going to be making *any* other command shells available to your users, then just move the text/menu/renegade/* files into text/menu, copy exec/renegade.src to exec/yourshell.src and then remove the "renegade/" parts of the menu paths in the file. Then edit all the menu files (*.msg is preferred) to suit your style/command-keys.

digital man

Dude I get what you're saying too... perfect, and thanks for taking the time to type that out... I'd be correct, then, that if I just name my one shell to default (my RG one...) then ALL those menu's (preferably .msg) will be in the /menu section... and not /menu *and* /menu/renegade (or /yourshell)...

Thanks digital man . . . you nailed it on the head, and I understand.

|08Paulie|15420

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ >>>American Pi BBS @ AmericanPiBBS.com:23>>>Rockin like its 1993!>>>
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Rampage on Thu May 14 12:30:00 2020
    Rampage wrote to Paulie420 <=-

that's easy... copy the renegade one to a new name for your mods...
    make a new directory for its stuff... then edit the copy to point to
    the new directory you just created... any existing files from the
    original that you want to use would be copied to the new directory
    since that's where it would be looking due to your edits forcing that
    new directory path ;)

That's exactly what I did - I liked the default Synchro menu, but wanted a more traditional menu. Copied all of the files into another directory and modded away.

... Change nothing and continue consistently
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Paulie420 on Thu May 14 18:06:31 2020
    By: Paulie420 to Digital Man on Thu May 14 2020 12:39 am

By: Digital Man to Paulie420 on Wed May 13 2020 09:51 pm

Gosh I hope I'm making a little sense. I sometimes feel that my mind is
    jumbled when discussing sync... but I'm trying.

digital man

Dude I get what you're saying too... perfect, and thanks for taking the time to type that out... I'd be correct, then, that if I just name my one shell to default (my RG one...) then ALL those menu's (preferably .msg) will be in the /menu section... and not /menu *and* /menu/renegade (or /yourshell)...

It doesn't matter what you name your shell. I would avoid "default" however just as that name is sort of already taken by the Synchronet classic shell. And the name of the shell (the base filename of the .src or .bin file) has no direct impact on what, if any, subdirectories off of text/menu are used.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #34:
    The back-up synchro.net nameserver and CVS repository is hosted by Deuce. Norco, CA WX: 74.4°F, 51.0% humidity, 5 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From paulie420@VERT/PAULIE42 to Rampage on Thu May 14 20:59:37 2020
    By: Rampage to Paulie420 on Thu May 14 2020 06:34 am

By: Paulie420 to All on Wed May 13 2020 17:24:09

Paulie420> But, I notice that say... for the other menus I can't just add Paulie420> a qwk.ans to text/menu/renegade ... but I could add it in Paulie420> text/menu. Long story short, if I only want to use one shell, do Paulie420> I erase the others? Do I change Renegade to default and not use Paulie420> /renegade? Do I use /renegade for the four menus it calls for Paulie420> and then just edit like qwk.ans in the regular text/menu Paulie420> directoy?

that's easy... copy the renegade one to a new name for your mods... make a new directory for its stuff... then edit the copy to point to the new directory you just created... any existing files from the original that you want to use would be copied to the new directory since that's where it would be looking due to your edits forcing that new directory path ;)

)\/(ark

Ok, understood... but still tho, the RG shell uses 4 menus in its /renegade folder. So those 4 .ans files go there, but then sbbs runs off the Defaults like... qwk.ans or MANY others, in the menu folder before /renegade...

So I think the answer for ME is to copy over renegade to DEFAULT, then not use the /renegade folder. All other command shells would use MY defaults menus, as opposed to the other way around.

Altho, thanks, I didn't even know what you and digital man informed me of before posting... :P I *think* I'm on the right track....

I really only wanna use MY custom renegade shell, but leaving synchro and the others for people that want them would be a good thing. They'll just get little bits of MY install from those extras menus that other than default command shells fall back on..

|08Paulie|15420

---
  • From paulie420@VERT/PAULIE42 to Patrick Siglin on Thu May 14 21:01:50 2020
    By: Patrick Siglin to Paulie420 on Thu May 14 2020 07:20 am

You can take the renegade .src file and modify it any way you want. Baja.exe compiles it. Mine is based off of Major bbs and I added the custom commands I wanted and comipiled with Baja. You then add the ansi menus to further make it more custom.

Cool. This is what I want to do, to customize off of the renegade one.. like I stated other places tho, that still didn't fix the OTHER menus sbbs calls for in the previous folder.

But I think I have that ironed out too, by creating a new DEFAULT. My own personal DEFAULT thats perfect for me, and the stock (CVS) ones for anyone lese wanting it - with DEFAULT showing bits and peices like default synchro does with my /renegade now...

|08Paulie|15420

---
  • From paulie420@VERT/PAULIE42 to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu May 14 21:03:18 2020
    Re: Re: Command Shell best practices
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Rampage on Thu May 14 2020 08:30 am

Rampage wrote to Paulie420 <=-
    that's easy... copy the renegade one to a new name for your mods...
    make a new directory for its stuff... then edit the copy to point to
    the new directory you just created... any existing files from the
    original that you want to use would be copied to the new directory
    since that's where it would be looking due to your edits forcing
    that new directory path ;)

That's exactly what I did - I liked the default Synchro menu, but wanted a more traditional menu. Copied all of the files into another directory and modded away.

Thank you to all four of you who helped answer my worries. I'm sure I'll have some other hiccups as I customize, but digital man and rampage and pf and others; THANKS!!

Woot woot!
    :P

|08Paulie|15420

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to paulie420 on Thu May 14 22:13:48 2020
    By: paulie420 to Patrick Siglin on Thu May 14 2020 05:01 pm

By: Patrick Siglin to Paulie420 on Thu May 14 2020 07:20 am

Cool. This is what I want to do, to customize off of the renegade one.. like I stated other places tho, that still didn't fix the OTHER menus sbbs calls for in the previous folder.

You can change where sbbs looks for menu files:
    See SET_MENU_DIR in http://synchro.net/docs/baja.html

But I think I have that ironed out too, by creating a new DEFAULT. My own personal DEFAULT thats perfect for me, and the stock (CVS) ones for anyone lese wanting it - with DEFAULT showing bits and peices like default synchro does with my /renegade now...

Like I said before, I recommend using a name other than DEFAULT. The naming of your shell has no effect on what directories it pulls menu files from.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #9:
    The name "DOVE-Net" comes from: The Beast's DOmain / VErtrauen network.
    Norco, CA WX: 70.9°F, 55.0% humidity, 5 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Patrick Siglin@VERT to paulie420 on Fri May 15 02:31:24 2020
    By: paulie420 to Patrick Siglin on Thu May 14 2020 05:01 pm

You will figure it out and if you get stuck there are a lot of people in here that know how to point you in the right direction. When I first started playing with the menus on Synch I was a little confused also as I was used to Pcboard and RA. Once I figured out Baja I loved it.

--- SBBSecho 3.06-Win32
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to PAULIE420 on Thu May 14 23:30:00 2020
    I've learned that I can take the Renegade clone command shell, and use that as >y main shell for my BBS. I have some questions about doing so. So lets say that
    I want my BBS to look one way, and not use multiple command shells. I think tha
    its most smart for me, since I like the Renegade way of menu structure, to use >the Renegade clone command shell. OK, I've been doing that... and adding ANSI m
    nus to text/menu/renegade ... ok, check on the four menus that Renegade command
    shell calls for.

I took the PCBoard clone command shell, modified it, and created a GT Power command shell. It has more commands than GT did because it is on newer software. One of these days I may get around to customizing some of the
    other menus besides the main one.

* SLMR 2.1a * */ --Tribble with a lightsaber

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From paulie420@VERT/PAULIE42 to Digital Man on Fri May 15 22:03:10 2020
    By: Digital Man to paulie420 on Thu May 14 2020 06:13 pm

You can change where sbbs looks for menu files:
    See SET_MENU_DIR in http://synchro.net/docs/baja.html

Like I said before, I recommend using a name other than DEFAULT. The naming of your shell has no effect on what directories it pulls menu files from.

Now I understand both reasons. Thanks; there were msgs coming from 3 people; I always listen to you 1st. :P

I didn't read the SET_MENU_DIR - and your knowledge of right where everything is is more than appreciated.

Man; I need to print the older DOCS out, I used to have my RG docs as a reference right next to me; sorry for being a songbird.

|08Paulie|15420

---
  • From paulie420@VERT/PAULIE42 to Patrick Siglin on Fri May 15 22:06:56 2020
    By: Patrick Siglin to paulie420 on Thu May 14 2020 10:31 pm

But I think I have that ironed out too, by creating a new DEFAULT.
    My own personal DEFAULT thats perfect for me, and the stock (CVS)
    ones for anyone lese wanting it - with DEFAULT showing bits and
    peices like default synchro does with my /renegade now...
    You will figure it out and if you get stuck there are a lot of people in here that know how to point you in the right direction. When I first started playing with the menus on Synch I was a little confused also as I was used to Pcboard and RA. Once I figured out Baja I loved it.

Thats another one of my issues; being from the Renegade/Mystic way of both menus and other ways it functioned... I need to pay attention to the docs about the fine details that are also different. Anywho, thanks all...

|08Paulie|15420

---
  • From paulie420@VERT/PAULIE42 to Dumas Walker on Fri May 15 22:08:08 2020
    Re: Command Shell best practi
    By: Dumas Walker to PAULIE420 on Thu May 14 2020 07:30 pm

I've learned that I can take the Renegade clone command shell, and use
    that as y main shell for my BBS. I have some questions about doing so.
    So lets say that I want my BBS to look one way, and not use multiple
    command shells. I think tha its most smart for me, since I like the
    Renegade way of menu structure, to use the Renegade clone command
    shell. OK, I've been doing that... and adding ANSI m nus to
    text/menu/renegade ... ok, check on the four menus that Renegade
    command shell calls for.

I took the PCBoard clone command shell, modified it, and created a GT Power command shell. It has more commands than GT did because it is on newer software. One of these days I may get around to customizing some of the other menus besides the main one.

I'm gonna head on over to your board and check it out.. appreciate ya.

|08Paulie|15420

---
  • From Patrick Siglin@VERT to paulie420 on Sat May 16 01:16:50 2020
    By: paulie420 to Patrick Siglin on Fri May 15 2020 06:06 pm

Thats another one of my issues; being from the Renegade/Mystic way of both menus and other ways it functioned... I need to pay attention to the docs about the fine details that are also different. Anywho, thanks all...
    It takes some time but you will get used to it. If you need help post it here and you usually find someone that can help out. Good Luck!

--- SBBSecho 3.06-Win32
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Paulie420 on Tue May 19 22:30:58 2020

But, I notice that say... for the other menus I can't just add a qwk.ans to text/menu/renegade ... but I could add it in text/menu. Long story short, if only want to use one shell, do I erase the others? Do I change Renegade to default and not use /renegade? Do I use /renegade for the four menus it call for and then just edit like qwk.ans in the regular text/menu directoy?

yeah you can do that doing what digitalman said, but i suggest you just make a new directory and copy the rg files in there.

something like sbbs/text/paulie420

then copy sbbs/exec/renegade.src to sbbs/mods/pshell.src

i have a program that can do a mass change in your .src files

xchange /i "renegade" "paulie420" *.src

so that way you have your own directory for your command shell and you have your own shell in sbbs/mods

in scfg make your shell the default and delete the other shells in scfg
    i think that's the way you do it.
    been like 20 years.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From paulie420@VERT/PAULIE42 to MRO on Thu May 21 00:14:56 2020
    By: MRO to Paulie420 on Tue May 19 2020 06:30 pm

yeah you can do that doing what digitalman said, but i suggest you just make a new directory and copy the rg files in there.

something like sbbs/text/paulie420

then copy sbbs/exec/renegade.src to sbbs/mods/pshell.src

i have a program that can do a mass change in your .src files

xchange /i "renegade" "paulie420" *.src

so that way you have your own directory for your command shell and you have your own shell in sbbs/mods

in scfg make your shell the default and delete the other shells in scfg
    i think that's the way you do it.
    been like 20 years.

id be appreciative for both this and the sequential, random .ANS files... i'm in seattle for work till friday, but i'd like to take you up on it.

woot woot.

|08Paulie|15420

---