• Question about UMONITOR / GTKMONITOR

From WitNik@VERT to Digital Man on Thu Aug 13 02:22:32 2020
    DM,

While everything has been working successfully since I've setup the CIFS-backed shared storage config, I have noticed that the Sysop split screen chat in UMONITOR and GTKCHAT loads, but text is not echoed or sent from or to the Sysop, but chat echos for the user. I have no problems spying on nodes, sending messages (telegrams), but the UMONITOR/GTKMONITOR split screen chat doesn't seem to be functional. There are no errors thrown that I can find, but this is occuring both on my RPi4 and X64 builds on Debian 10.

Is there a specific file that I should examine for logging?

Thanks in advance,
    -WitNik

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From WitNik@VERT to Digital Man on Thu Aug 13 02:44:41 2020
    Re: Question about UMONITOR / GTKMONITOR
    By: WitNik to Digital Man on Wed Aug 12 2020 10:22 pm

DM,

While everything has been working successfully since I've setup the CIFS-backed shared storage config, I have noticed that the Sysop split screen chat in UMONITOR and GTKCHAT loads, but text is not echoed or sent from or to the Sysop, but chat echos for the user. I have no problems spying on nodes, sending messages (telegrams), but the UMONITOR/GTKMONITOR split screen chat doesn't seem to be functional. There are no errors thrown that I can find, but this is occuring both on my RPi4 and X64 builds on Debian 10.

Thanks in advance,
    -WitNik

Also, I'm not sure if this is related:

Multinode chat seems to work great, but private node/node chat in the split screen echos locally on node 1 but does not send to node 2. Node 2 echos locally and sends to node 1.

Node 1 was connected via telnet to localhost, while Node 2 was connected via telnet from another system on the same vlan.

The only thing I can see that may be relevant is that based on your suggestion, in order to not open status.sock on shared storage (CIFS), I relocated sbbs.ini to local storage. I see umonitor reading the wrong ini file in the original location (/sbbs/ctrl/sbbs.ini) vs. the new location on local storage (/sbbs/ini/sbbs.ini). I can't seem to find a way to redirect umonitor to read sbbs.ini in an alternate location without redirecting the entire ctrl directory.

Thanks,
    -WitNik

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to WitNik on Thu Aug 13 22:43:38 2020

DM,

The chat files are *chat.dab (e.g. node1/chat.dab, node2/lchat.cab), so all nodes need to be able to access all other node's directories to open and read/write these files.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #83:
    Donations to the Synchronet project are welcome @ http://wiki.synchro.net/donate
    Norco, CA WX: 90.3°F, 19.0% humidity, 7 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to WitNik on Thu Aug 13 22:51:29 2020
    By: WitNik to Digital Man on Wed Aug 12 2020 10:44 pm

DM,

Thanks in advance,
    -WitNik

Also, I'm not sure if this is related:

Multinode chat seems to work great, but private node/node chat in the split screen echos locally on node 1 but does not send to node 2. Node 2 echos locally and sends to node 1.

Node 1 was connected via telnet to localhost, while Node 2 was connected via telnet from another system on the same vlan.

I don't think *how* the user/terminal is connected is a factor.

Are node1 and node2 served by the same instance of sbbs (running on a single serer) or different instances on different systems?

The only thing I can see that may be relevant is that based on your suggestion, in order to not open status.sock on shared storage (CIFS), I relocated sbbs.ini to local storage. I see umonitor reading the wrong ini file in the original location (/sbbs/ctrl/sbbs.ini) vs. the new location on local storage (/sbbs/ini/sbbs.ini). I can't seem to find a way to redirect umonitor to read sbbs.ini in an alternate location without redirecting the entire ctrl directory.

So long as /sbbs/ctrl/sbbs.ini and /sbbs/ini/sbbs.ini have the same contents (ini/sbbs.ini could be a symlink to ../ctrl/sbbs.ini), I think that should be fine.

digital man

Sling Blade quote #17:
    Charles Bushman: A shovel just makes too goddamned much racket.
    Norco, CA WX: 90.9°F, 19.0% humidity, 3 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From WitNik@VERT to Digital Man on Fri Aug 14 01:35:03 2020
    By: Digital Man to WitNik on Thu Aug 13 2020 06:51 pm

Are node1 and node2 served by the same instance of sbbs (running on a single serer) or different instances on different systems?
    Yes, everything is running on the same server. I'll take a closer look at the chat dab files in the node directories.

So long as /sbbs/ctrl/sbbs.ini and /sbbs/ini/sbbs.ini have the same contents (ini/sbbs.ini could be a symlink to ../ctrl/sbbs.ini), I think that should be fine.

I'll try this as a symlink.

Thanks for your help.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to WitNik on Thu Sep 17 22:58:21 2020
    By: WitNik to Digital Man on Thu Aug 13 2020 09:35 pm

By: Digital Man to WitNik on Thu Aug 13 2020 06:51 pm

Yes, everything is running on the same server. I'll take a closer look at the chat dab files in the node directories.

I'll try this as a symlink.

Thanks for your help.

I was able to reproduce this problem with umonitor and Samba. The first key typed in umonitor chat is just repeated forever on the Windows side and the keys sent from the Windows node never appear in umonitor. I don't have this problem when using the private node chat feature between nodes on Samba and nodes on Windows (same 2 systems), so I suspect something is up with umonitor/chat.c. Not sure about gtkchat, but since it was written by the same person, likely the same problem. I'll investigate more.

digital man

Rush quote #30:
    You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast
    Norco, CA WX: 86.5°F, 26.0% humidity, 3 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From WitNik@VERT to Digital Man on Sat Sep 19 17:32:11 2020
    By: Digital Man to WitNik on Thu Sep 17 2020 06:58 pm

I was able to reproduce this problem with umonitor and Samba. The first key typed in umonitor chat is just repeated forever on the Windows side and the keys sent from the Windows node never appear in umonitor. I don't have this problem when using the private node chat feature between nodes on Samba and nodes on Windows (same 2 systems), so I suspect something is up with umonitor/chat.c. Not sure about gtkchat, but since it was written by the same person, likely the same problem. I'll investigate more.

digital man

Yeah, it's super weird. In my case, I was using Samba via DSM on a Synology NAS, and not directly from a standalone Linux server. I know Synology introduces additional complexity, but I am actually glad that you were able to reproduce the problem with your configuration.

While I am currently using my RPI /w my Synology via iSCSI LUN to get around the issue, I'm hopeful that it's an easy fix because I could greatly simplify the complexity of my config if I could ditch the iSCSI and resume hosting nodes off of the SMB/CIFS, which would be my preferred method.

Thank you for continuing to work on this issue! If there is anything that I can do to help you test or collect additional logging. Let me know. I can spin something up fairly easy.

Thanks,
    -WitNik

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to WitNik on Sat Sep 19 18:34:10 2020
    By: WitNik to Digital Man on Sat Sep 19 2020 01:32 pm

By: Digital Man to WitNik on Thu Sep 17 2020 06:58 pm

Yeah, it's super weird. In my case, I was using Samba via DSM on a Synology NAS, and not directly from a standalone Linux server. I know Synology introduces additional complexity, but I am actually glad that you were able to reproduce the problem with your configuration.

While I am currently using my RPI /w my Synology via iSCSI LUN to get around the issue, I'm hopeful that it's an easy fix because I could greatly simplify the complexity of my config if I could ditch the iSCSI and resume hosting nodes off of the SMB/CIFS, which would be my preferred method.

Thank you for continuing to work on this issue! If there is anything that I can do to help you test or collect additional logging. Let me know. I can spin something up fairly easy.

You can confirm that chatting between nodes (using private chat, not multinode chat) works fine on the same setup?

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #83:
    Donations to the Synchronet project are welcome @ http://wiki.synchro.net/donate
    Norco, CA WX: 92.1°F, 29.0% humidity, 12 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From WitNik@VERT to Digital Man on Sat Sep 19 22:43:33 2020
    By: Digital Man to WitNik on Sat Sep 19 2020 02:34 pm

You can confirm that chatting between nodes (using private chat, not multinode chat) works fine on the same setup?

digital man

DM,

I actually had previously tested this in my old setup and had confirmed that I had no issues doing user to user private chats between nodes, as well as multinode chat. The only issue I had was with the split-screen sysop initiated chat via umonitor and gtkmonitor.

I will put together a test system with my old config and try putting it through it's paces to verify.

Thanks,
    -WitNik

---
  • From WitNik@VERT to Digital Man on Sat Sep 19 23:45:39 2020
    By: WitNik to Digital Man on Sat Sep 19 2020 06:43 pm

I will put together a test system with my old config and try putting it through it's paces to verify.

Thanks,
    -WitNik

Ok, so I fired up my old config an it is CONFIRMED. Private node to node split-screen chat works great, but chats initiated from umonitor and gtkmonitor exihibit the bug.

Let me know if you need me to snag anything else.

-WitNik

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to WitNik on Sun Sep 20 01:03:49 2020
    By: WitNik to Digital Man on Sat Sep 19 2020 07:45 pm

By: WitNik to Digital Man on Sat Sep 19 2020 06:43 pm

Ok, so I fired up my old config an it is CONFIRMED. Private node to node split-screen chat works great, but chats initiated from umonitor and gtkmonitor exihibit the bug.

Yeah, not sure if it's something unique to the logic in those programs or just the fact that it's an external process. Will have to experiment more with that.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #59:
    Synchronet swag used to be available for purchase at cafepress.com/synchronet Norco, CA WX: 74.7°F, 51.0% humidity, 2 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---