• Re: Digital Man #1

From Ioixd@VERT to Digital Man #1 on Mon Aug 17 14:53:33 2020
    Hello, thanks for the response.

The full, complete error message would be helpful.

Here it is:

Error 2 copying '/home/gavin/crops.mp4' to '/sbbs/data/dirs/uploads/crops.mp4'
    crops .mp4 NOT RECEIVED!
    [Hit a key]

Nothing else.

Nothing in the log output on the server?

Well I don't know how to check, but...

Have you tried uploading to any other BBSes yet?

I just tried uploading to this one and got the same exact error, although it's worth noting that I didn't get a chance to specify the actual file name because I couldn't upload it as a Local File, which is the protocol I was using in general. I tried KERMIT instead.

But regarding the SyncTERM log, after setting the options to Debug (All) I got nothing helpful.

Aug 17 10:22:02 Log opened
    Aug 17 10:22:10 Log closed
    ---------------
    Aug 17 10:22:33 Log opened
    Aug 17 10:23:39 Log closed.

Do you see the actual file transfer progress status reported in SyncTerm?

As shown above, no, I do not.

Thank you for your help with the art. But I have a new problem, and while I feel the answer is obvious, I again can't find an answer. A person who signed up to a BBS got a message saying that I need to approve them. I can't find anything about this in the BBS itself or the config. I feel like it's somewhere in the wiki, but I'm not sure where in the sidebar I would find it.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Ioixd on Mon Aug 17 16:06:03 2020
    Re: Re: Digital Man #1
    By: Ioixd to Digital Man #1 on Mon Aug 17 2020 10:53 am

Hello, thanks for the response.

The full, complete error message would be helpful.

Here it is:

Error 2 copying '/home/gavin/crops.mp4' to '/sbbs/data/dirs/uploads/crops.mp4'
    crops .mp4 NOT RECEIVED!
    [Hit a key]

Nothing else.

Well it's more than you gave me originally. Does the file /home/gavin/crops.mp4 exist? Does the /sbbs/data/dirs/uploads directory exist? Does the user that the BBS runs-as have write access to that directory?

Nothing in the log output on the server?

Well I don't know how to check, but...

You need to be able to view/monitor the log output of your BBS: http://wiki.synchro.net/monitor:index

Have you tried uploading to any other BBSes yet?

I just tried uploading to this one and got the same exact error, although it's worth noting that I didn't get a chance to specify the actual file name because I couldn't upload it as a Local File, which is the protocol I was using in general.

Okay, so you were using the "Local" upload feature before. Good to know.

I tried KERMIT instead.

SyncTERM doesn't support KERMIT. Use ZMODEM.

But regarding the SyncTERM log, after setting the options to Debug (All) I got nothing helpful.

Aug 17 10:22:02 Log opened
    Aug 17 10:22:10 Log closed
    ---------------
    Aug 17 10:22:33 Log opened
    Aug 17 10:23:39 Log closed.

Do you see the actual file transfer progress status reported in SyncTerm?

As shown above, no, I do not.

Probably because you didn't actually start a file transfer. Pick a file transfer protocol that is supported by SyncTERM (e.g. ZMODEM).

Thank you for your help with the art. But I have a new problem, and while I feel the answer is obvious, I again can't find an answer. A person who signed up to a BBS got a message saying that I need to approve them. I can't find anything about this in the BBS itself or the config. I feel like it's somewhere in the wiki, but I'm not sure where in the sidebar I would find it.

Check your user base (e.g. use the ;uedit sysop command). Maybe you don't need to "approve them". I don't recall that language used in Synchronet.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #27:
    Rob Swindell (digital man) was born approximately 4 hours before the Unix epoch.
    Norco, CA WX: 91.9°F, 42.0% humidity, 5 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Ioixd@VERT to Digital Man on Tue Aug 18 12:49:36 2020
    By: Digital Man to Ioixd on Mon Aug 17 2020 12:06 pm

Hi, thank you for all of your help! I just have one last problem.

Check your user base (e.g. use the ;uedit sysop command). Maybe you don't need to "approve them". I don't recall that language used in Synchronet.

I meant "validate". There are users getting deleted because they don't send an email asking for validation. I would like to disable that and just have them all be validated.

---
  • From Mortifis@VERT/EPHRAM to Ioixd on Tue Aug 18 17:10:45 2020

I meant "validate". There are users getting deleted because they don't send an email asking for validation. I would like to disable that and just have them all be validated.

use email_val.js ... http://wiki.synchro.net/module:emailval

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ posted via alleycat etrucker-runemaster web ui
  • From Underminer@VERT/UNDRMINE to Ioixd on Tue Aug 18 20:26:44 2020
    By: Ioixd to Digital Man on Tue Aug 18 2020 08:49 am

Open modopts.ini and set "email_validation = false" if you don't want users to have to validate email. But if you do want them to, the issue is probably that you'll really want to set an smtp relay and use something like mailgun or sendgrid to send the mail so it doesn't get rejected or flagged as spam due to coming from a consumer IP
    ---
    Underminer
    The Undermine BBS - bbs.undermine.ca:423
    Fidonet: 1:342/17
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Undermine - bbs.undermine.ca:423
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Ioixd on Wed Aug 19 06:05:22 2020
    By: Ioixd to Digital Man on Tue Aug 18 2020 08:49 am

Read this:
    http://wiki.synchro.net/faq:misc#new_user_feedback

digital man

Sling Blade quote #13:
    Karl: He lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in. Norco, CA WX: 77.8°F, 65.0% humidity, 0 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---