• External Program Menus

From Michael Long@VERT to alt.bbs.synchronet on Mon Oct 5 21:20:37 2020
    From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.synchronet

Is there a way to have multiple levels of external programs? I'm guessing not but I thought I would ask. And if not, what options might I have?

Right now I'm categorizing my doors by genre. But I would love to give users more options as there are so many different ways to categorize them... by author, by last year updated, by system type, by inter bbs, by simulatenous users, etc.

I could forsee it happening by a menu system, or by having one list that could be filtered.

I'd love to hear ideas on how this might be accomplished. I'm not a C programmer at all but could probably come up with something in Javascript given enough time.
    --- Synchronet 3.18c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Michael Long on Mon Oct 5 21:38:23 2020
    Re: External Program Menus
    By: Michael Long to alt.bbs.synchronet on Mon Oct 05 2020 05:20 pm

Is there a way to have multiple levels of external programs? I'm guessing not but I thought I would ask. And if not, what options might I have?

Right now I'm categorizing my doors by genre. But I would love to give users more options as there are so many different ways to categorize them... by author, by last year updated, by system type, by inter bbs, by simulatenous users, etc.

I could forsee it happening by a menu system, or by having one list that could be filtered.

I'd love to hear ideas on how this might be accomplished. I'm not a C programmer at all but could probably come up with something in Javascript given enough time.

Yes, xtrn_sec.js is already in JS and you could certainly refactor it to displays groups and sub-groups of external programs, or support searching/filtering/sorting based on whatever criteria you come up with.

digital man

Rush quote #57:
    He picks up scraps of information, he's adept at adaptation
    Norco, CA WX: 87.9°F, 24.0% humidity, 6 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Michael Long@VERT to alt.bbs.synchronet on Fri Oct 9 18:43:48 2020

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 8:38:28 PM UTC-4, Digital Man wrote:
    Yes, xtrn_sec.js is already in JS and you could certainly refactor it to displays groups and sub-groups of external programs, or support searching/filtering/sorting based on whatever criteria you come up with.
    I've got a working prototype going which allows defining any number of enhanced menus (as I am calling them) which exist solely in a JSON config file. These menus can point to other enhanced menus (so unlimited levels), to the existing xternal section menus, or directly to external doors, and these can all be mixed and matched. It is also not limited to the numeric input keys of the stock menu, but you can define any key for any of the menu items (except Q obviously). If there is interest from others or if you are willing to consider merging this back in, I'll work on polishing it up and supporting all the various config options/text files/etc the stock one does. I am also mulling over writing a menu config editor (maybe trying to use the UIFC stuff) to make it easier to setup the menus
    --- Synchronet 3.18c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113