• Old Synchronet source code

From Digital Man@VERT to All on Mon Oct 19 23:41:35 2020
    ftp://vert.synchro.net/main/sbbs_arc/ssrc199x.zip

Are you interested in really old Synchronet source code, circa 1992-1995? Well, there it is, as recovered and collated from about 40 3.5" 1.44MB floppy disks. Threa's a readme.txt in there if you want more details. But tl;dr, it's not intended for compiling/use, really just for historic curiosity. If you really want to run Synchronet on DOS or OS/2, you should use v2.30 instead.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #49:
    MUD = Multi-User Dungeon
    Norco, CA WX: 68.0°F, 78.0% humidity, 5 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Digital Man on Tue Oct 20 01:15:01 2020

Are you interested in really old Synchronet source code, circa 1992-1995? Well, there it is, as recovered and collated from about 40 3.5" 1.44MB floppy disks. Threa's a readme.txt in there if you want more details. But tl;dr, it's not intended for compiling/use, really just for historic curiosity. If you really want to run Synchronet on DOS or OS/2, you should use v2.30 instead.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #49:
    MUD = Multi-User Dungeon
    Norco, CA WX: 68.0°F, 78.0% humidity, 5 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

It won’t download. Says failed.

$ The Millionaire $

..."I'm board. Time to set up another Synchronet BBS."...

---
    ï¿­ Synchronet ï¿­ Vertrauen ï¿­ Home of Synchronet ï¿­ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to The Millionaire on Tue Oct 20 12:03:00 2020
    The Millionaire wrote to Digital Man <=-

Are you interested in really old Synchronet source code, circa 1992-1995? Well, there it is, as recovered and collated from about 40 3.5" 1.44MB
    floppy
    disks. Threa's a readme.txt in there if you want more details. But tl;dr, it's not intended for compiling/use, really just for historic curiosity. If you really want to run Synchronet on DOS or OS/2, you should use v2.30 instead.

It won't download. Says failed.

Worked fine for me. Must be that POS IOS you're using.

... So easy, a child could do it. Child sold separately.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Themadgamerman@VERT/POINTOFN to Digital Man on Tue Oct 27 12:44:56 2020
    Re: Old Synchronet source code
    By: Digital Man to All on Mon Oct 19 2020 07:41 pm

those 3.5" still worked, WOW!.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Point Of No Return BBS - pointofnoreturn.zapto.org:2323
  • From Mortifis@VERT/EPHRAM to Themadgamerman on Tue Oct 27 18:27:59 2020

Of course they work, DigitalMan is very careful with his backups; I am sure he has Dove-Net messages going back to the beginning stored on hole punch cards somewhere :-P And, yes, I can attest to v2.30C ... v2.30B and prior versions display January 1, 1970 (unix epoch) in any timestamped message and file entries.

~Mortifis

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Realm of Dispair telnet ephram.synchro.net 2323 ssh 2222 web 82
  • From Mortifis@VERT/EPHRAM to Digital Man on Tue Oct 27 18:34:28 2020

digital man

Thank you for digging all of those out, DM, I for one appreciate it. Getting any pre v2 is being a challenge to bring up Live telnetable. Doorway 2.31 is a little promising, but, without FOSSIL support (circa v2.00A 06/02/1994) it is not an easy task to get setup as a Door. Fun project to say the least.

~Mortifis

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Realm of Dispair telnet ephram.synchro.net 2323 ssh 2222 web 82
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Themadgamerman on Tue Oct 27 19:31:46 2020
    By: Themadgamerman to Digital Man on Tue Oct 27 2020 08:44 am

Mostly, yes. And I inherited some old 1.2MB 5.25" floppies from Steve Deppe (my original Synchronet "partner in crime") and so I sent some of them off to floppydisk.com to get read/converted. Steve had some even older source files than I had and he had all the x86 assembler source files that he wrote for Synchronet, some of which I never had. We'll see how those disks stood up to time.
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #4:
    Doyle: wimpy-ass kids or mental retards.. she got one of each livin' with her. Norco, CA WX: 76.3°F, 13.0% humidity, 3 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Mortifis on Tue Oct 27 19:33:42 2020
    Re: Re: Old Synchronet source code
    By: Mortifis to Digital Man on Tue Oct 27 2020 02:34 pm

Thank you for digging all of those out, DM, I for one appreciate it.
    Getting any pre v2 is being a challenge to bring up Live telnetable. Doorway 2.31 is a little promising, but, without FOSSIL support (circa v2.00A 06/02/1994) it is not an easy task to get setup as a Door. Fun project to say the least.

The newer Synchronet FOSSIL driver is also a virtual UART driver. Have you tried it (instead of Synchronet v3.00)?
    --
    digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #8:
    BPS = Bits Per Second
    Norco, CA WX: 76.3°F, 13.0% humidity, 3 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Mortifis@VERT/EPHRAM to Digital Man on Wed Oct 28 01:00:49 2020

Thank you for digging all of those out, DM, I for one appreciate it. Getting any pre v2 is being a challenge to bring up Live telnetable. Doorway 2.31 is a little promising, but, without FOSSIL support (circa v2.00A 06/02/1994) it is not an easy task to get setup as a Door. Fun project to say the least.

The newer Synchronet FOSSIL driver is also a virtual UART driver. Have you tried it (instead of Synchronet v3.00)?
    --
    digital man

Yes, I opted to use v3.14a as the host since it has the Synchronet FOSSIL, web, ssh, JS, etc. The NetFoss/Net2BBS was ok but it has some issues, which using even v3.00 solved but was best solved with v3.14.

After all of these experiments and re-visting most of the previous versions I can honestly say that you have maintained an impressive backward compatibility ... only makes sense that Synchronet is best support by Synchronet :)

~Mortifis

---
  • From Themadgamerman@VERT to Digital Man on Wed Oct 28 00:22:33 2020
    By: Digital Man to Themadgamerman on Tue Oct 27 2020 03:31 pm

Mostly, yes. And I inherited some old 1.2MB 5.25" floppies from Steve Deppe (my original Synchronet "partner in crime") and so I sent some of them off to floppydisk.com to get read/converted. Steve had some even older source files than I had and he had all the x86 assembler source files that he wrote for Synchronet, some of which I never had. We'll see how those disks stood

How old is Synchronet?.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
    * Origin: (0:0/0)
  • From mlong@VERT/INREALM to Themadgamerman on Wed Oct 28 05:13:54 2020
    30 years old

---
    þ Synchronet þ Inner Realm BBS - Charlotte, NC - innerrealmbbs.us
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Mortifis on Wed Oct 28 06:11:32 2020
    By: Mortifis to Digital Man on Tue Oct 27 2020 09:00 pm

--
    digital man

Yes, I opted to use v3.14a as the host since it has the Synchronet FOSSIL, web, ssh, JS, etc. The NetFoss/Net2BBS was ok but it has some issues, which using even v3.00 solved but was best solved with v3.14.

After all of these experiments and re-visting most of the previous versions I can honestly say that you have maintained an impressive backward compatibility ... only makes sense that Synchronet is best support by Synchronet :)

v3.14a's FOSSIL driver included the virtual UART support. I would expect sbbs v1x to work under sbbs v3.14 then, too.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #24:
    1584 Synchronet BBS Software registrations were sold between 1992 and 1996. Norco, CA WX: 57.0°F, 32.0% humidity, 0 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Themadgamerman on Wed Oct 28 06:14:02 2020
    By: Themadgamerman to Digital Man on Tue Oct 27 2020 08:22 pm

Mostly, yes. And I inherited some old 1.2MB 5.25" floppies from Steve Deppe (my original Synchronet "partner in crime") and so I sent some of them off to floppydisk.com to get read/converted. Steve had some even older source files than I had and he had all the x86 assembler source files that he wrote for Synchronet, some of which I never had. We'll see how those disks stood

How old is Synchronet?.

I first started writing it in late 1990, it was named in 1991 and first released commercially in 1992. So about 30 years old.
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #2:
    Karl (re: killing Doyle): I hit him two good whacks in the head with it.
    Norco, CA WX: 57.0°F, 32.0% humidity, 0 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Mortifis@VERT/EPHRAM to Digital Man on Wed Oct 28 15:05:42 2020
    v3.14a's FOSSIL driver included the virtual UART support. I would expect sbbs v1x to work under sbbs v3.14 then, too.
    --
    digital man

... and so it does! It took(is taking) some configuration magic, but, alas, v1b00 is live; single node so far. I need to work a little more on sbbsexec.ini placement and I believe ansi.sys needs to be loaded prior to 'calling' sbbs ... some would ask 'why?' but whatever lol thanks for the help Digital Man

~Mortifis

---
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to mlong on Wed Oct 28 11:41:00 2020
    mlong wrote to Themadgamerman <=-

30 years old

Is that your age, or is it how long you've been trying to figure
    out how to quote a message you're replying to? Keep trying.

... All the easy problems have been solved.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Mortifis@VERT/EPHRAM to Digital Man on Wed Oct 28 16:19:44 2020
    By: Themadgamerman to Digital Man on Tue Oct 27 2020 08:22 pm

How old is Synchronet?.

I first started writing it in late 1990, it was named in 1991 and first released commercially in 1992. So about 30 years old.
    --
    digital man

Didn't you run a WWiV board for a few years before you released sbbsv1x ?
    I seem to remember ringing up a huge long distance phone bill calling your board before it was Synchronet.

~Mortifis

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Mortifis on Wed Oct 28 13:56:00 2020
    By: Mortifis to Digital Man on Wed Oct 28 2020 11:05 am

--
    digital man

... and so it does! It took(is taking) some configuration magic, but, alas, v1b00 is live; single node so far. I need to work a little more on sbbsexec.ini placement and I believe ansi.sys needs to be loaded prior to 'calling' sbbs ... some would ask 'why?' but whatever lol thanks for the help Digital Man

Also check out svdmansi.com
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #10:
    Morris: I stand on the hill, not for thrill, but for the breath of a fresh kill Norco, CA WX: 65.1°F, 33.0% humidity, 0 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Mortifis on Wed Oct 28 13:58:28 2020
    By: Mortifis to Digital Man on Wed Oct 28 2020 12:19 pm

Didn't you run a WWiV board for a few years before you released sbbsv1x ?
    I seem to remember ringing up a huge long distance phone bill calling your board before it was Synchronet.

I did. From '88 to to late '90, I ran WWIV. I recently put an archive of the source for that WWIV version (4.10 I think was) with my mods, up for download.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #42:
    IMAP = Internet Message Access Protocol
    Norco, CA WX: 65.1°F, 33.0% humidity, 0 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Mortifis@VERT/EPHRAM to Digital Man on Wed Oct 28 19:49:58 2020
    By: Mortifis to Digital Man on Wed Oct 28 2020 12:19 pm

Didn't you run a WWiV board for a few years before you released sbbsv1x ? I seem to remember ringing up a huge long distance phone bill calling your board before it was Synchronet.

I did. From '88 to to late '90, I ran WWIV. I recently put an archive of the source for that WWIV version (4.10 I think was) with my mods, up for download.
    --
    digital man

cool, may I mess with that and see if I can get it to run under the Museum as Digital Man's WWIV or some other title? :)

~Mortifis

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Mortifis on Wed Oct 28 17:35:26 2020
    By: Mortifis to Digital Man on Wed Oct 28 2020 03:49 pm

cool, may I mess with that and see if I can get it to run under the Museum as Digital Man's WWIV or some other title? :)

You could try, but you'd have to build it (got Turbo C handy?) and I have no idea how you'd get the built files working. I had no luck finding WWIV v4.10 install packages on the Internet. They must exist but it seems to be getting hard to find old files that I *know* existed at one point in the wild.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #83:
    Donations to the Synchronet project are welcome @ http://wiki.synchro.net/donate
    Norco, CA WX: 76.6°F, 19.0% humidity, 3 mph NW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From dragon@VERT/IPTIA to Digital Man on Thu Oct 29 01:38:24 2020
    On 10/28/2020 4:35 PM, Digital Man wrote:
    By: Mortifis to Digital Man on Wed Oct 28 2020 03:49 pm

> > I did. From '88 to to late '90, I ran WWIV. I recently put an archive of
    > > the source for that WWIV version (4.10 I think was) with my mods, up for
    > > download.

> cool, may I mess with that and see if I can get it to run under the Museum
    > as Digital Man's WWIV or some other title? :)

You could try, but you'd have to build it (got Turbo C handy?) and I have no idea how you'd get the built files working. I had no luck finding WWIV v4.10 install packages on the Internet. They must exist but it seems to be getting hard to find old files that I *know* existed at one point in the wild.

WWIV 4.10 install package:

https://www.ipingthereforeiam.com/bbs/files/bbs/software/WWIV/WWIV410.ZIP

---
    þ Synchronet þ IPTIA - bbs2.ipingthereforeiam.com