• Feature Request / Suggestion - ip.can

From WitNik@VERT/BGGRSCYN to Digital Man on Mon Nov 9 19:31:36 2020
    DM,

I wanted to suggest a potential feature request for the ip.can filter file.
    It is my understanding that this file currently can take IPv4 and IPv6 addresses (including IPv4 in CIDR notation).

As an SBBS sysop on Linux, I make extensive use of firewalld to manage the iptables/nftables sorcery behind the scenes to keep things neat and tidy. I use a series of ipsets to manage whitelisting/blacklisting, and ip.can and ip-silent.can make ideal ipset feeder files to have cron update my firewall configuration hourly. Between SBBS built-in denial of service/hack filtering, and firewalld, I'm able to avoid having a more complicated fail2ban configuration, but there is one problem:

firewalld wants an ipset to only consist of ipv4 addresses and cidr notations. ipv6 addressing and cidr notations must be in separate ipset. So for my BBS firewall, I maintain separate ipv4 vs. ipv6 whitelists and blacklists on my host firewall.

While I can write scripts to parse and separate the addressing, it would be pretty neat to have an ipv4.can, ipv4-silent.can, ipv6.can, ipv6-silent.can to keep it all clean.

By suggesting this feature, I accept your scorn if you feel this is unworthy of your time.

Thanks,
    -WitNik

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ * Origin: Beggar's Canyon - beggarscyn.com *
  • From Digital Man@VERT to WitNik on Mon Nov 9 21:12:33 2020
    Re: Feature Request / Suggestion - ip.can
    By: WitNik to Digital Man on Mon Nov 09 2020 02:31 pm

While I can write scripts to parse and separate the addressing, it would be pretty neat to have an ipv4.can, ipv4-silent.can, ipv6.can, ipv6-silent.can to keep it all clean.

By suggesting this feature, I accept your scorn if you feel this is unworthy of your time.

Seems like a fine idea and likely not too difficult to implement.
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #17:
    Charles Bushman: A shovel just makes too goddamned much racket.
    Norco, CA WX: 60.8°F, 29.0% humidity, 0 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to WitNik on Mon Nov 9 21:14:07 2020
    By: Digital Man to WitNik on Mon Nov 09 2020 04:12 pm

By: WitNik to Digital Man on Mon Nov 09 2020 02:31 pm

Added to my todo list.
    --
    digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #5:
    Nigel Tufnel: Authorities said... best leave it... unsolved.
    Norco, CA WX: 60.8°F, 29.0% humidity, 0 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From WitNik@VERT/BGGRSCYN to Digital Man on Mon Nov 9 23:26:15 2020
    By: Digital Man to WitNik on Mon Nov 09 2020 04:14 pm

Added to my todo list.

You're too kind! Thank you!
    -WitNik

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ * Origin: Beggar's Canyon - beggarscyn.com *
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Digital Man on Tue Nov 10 12:16:00 2020
    Digital Man wrote to WitNik <=-

Aw, come on, DM - throw a *little* scorn his way... :)

... Accept advice
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From plt@VERT/SBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Nov 11 00:27:00 2020
    Re: Re: Feature Request / Suggestion - ip.can
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Digital Man on Tue Nov 10 2020 07:16:00

Digital Man wrote to WitNik <=-

Aw, come on, DM - throw a *little* scorn his way...

It's really does not take much time to include for someone that has a lot of experience writting code. A little bit of effort will help everyone in the long run. It may in the future convice users to start reading the newsgroups when they see legit messages being posted in the newsgroups and have the proper tools to filter out the bad ones.

Here is my points.

1. The current filters that is supported by Synchronet is to much a burden on the sysop and does not work very good. I can easly by pass them with little efford.

2. Using a seperate script to read the body of the message message to delete the old and keep the good message as one sysop recommended here is will work.

3. In the long run it may convince more users and sysop to read the newsgroups knowing that the good messages are kept and the spam is deleted.

4. Cross posting messages or quoting existing messages that already have spam can by pass the filters creating more spam.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ sbbs.dynu.net 2025
  • From Mortifis@VERT/ALLEYCAT to plt on Wed Nov 11 04:35:51 2020

It's really does not take much time to include for someone that has a lot of experience writting code. A little bit of effort will help everyone in the long run. It may in the future convice users to start reading the newsgroups when they see legit messages being posted in the newsgroups and have the proper tools to filter out the bad ones.

Here is my points.

2. Using a seperate script to read the body of the message message to delete the old and keep the good message as one sysop recommended here is will work.

instead of nuking an entire message that may or may not be offensive because of a substring match ... why not just string replace and add 'CENSORED' to the headers similar to how smtp prepends SPAM: ... I've been using that method on my commercial site for decades (except I replace good words with profanity :)

3. In the long run it may convince more users and sysop to read the newsgroups knowing that the good messages are kept and the spam is deleted.

Maybe I filter out G-rated conversations ... grandpa always said "ya can't trust a fella that say talk shit"

4. Cross posting messages or quoting existing messages that already have spam can by pass the filters creating more spam.

your message is already cross posted ... also getting all of this in FidoNet Synchronet ... just sayin' :/

good luck on your sbbs endeavours, brah

10-7 on this one

~Mortifis

---
    þ Synchronet þ AlleyCat! BBS Lake Echo, NS Canada
  • From plt@VERT/SBBS to Mortifis on Wed Nov 11 13:40:58 2020
    By: Mortifis to plt on Tue Nov 10 2020 23:35:51

It's really does not take much time to include for someone that has a lot of experience writting code. A little bit of effort
    will help everyone in the long run. It may in the future convice users to start reading the newsgroups when they see legit
    messages being posted in the newsgroups and have the proper tools to filter out the bad ones.

Here is my points.

2. Using a seperate script to read the body of the message message to delete the old and keep the good message as one sysop
    recommended here is will work.

instead of nuking an entire message that may or may not be offensive because of a substring match ... why not just string
    replace
    and add 'CENSORED' to the headers similar to how smtp prepends SPAM: ... I've been using that method on my commercial site for
    decades (except I replace good words with profanity :)

Adding option to newslink.js to delete the entire message or add the word censored should be up to each individual sysop. The individuals rights to be censored ends when they decide to be abusive on the internet.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ sbbs.dynu.net 2025