• Two questions....

From Randers@VERT/MINDS3 to All on Sun Feb 7 01:51:02 2021
    Hey all.

Number one: When I create a new user account using Syncterm on my board, on the first login once the standard login questions are complete, all bold
    ANSI colours (but only bold colours) are in a different font - the font that you see on Vertruaen on the login sequence (Looks like some kind of RIP font but I can't be sure on that) but it is for the first login only. Once you log off and log back on as that same user the font is fine. Other terminals such as Netrunner are not obviously unaffected. Any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

Number two: This is an embarrasing one. My Syncterm is stuck in full-screen mode and hitting Alt-Enter makes the screen flicker for a second but it remains in full-screen mode. Even deleting and re-installing Syncterm has not changed the issue and I can't find any config files on the system (Windows) that are telling it to load in full-screen. It's really strange. As much as I like it, I need to be able to have it in a small window when I'm working on other stuff.

Hope someone can help. Cheers and thanks as always.

Randers.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ MiND'S EYE BBS - Melb, Australia - mindseye.synchronetbbs.org
  • From Al@VERT/TRMB to Randers on Sat Feb 6 08:56:56 2021
    Re: Two questions....
    By: Randers to All on Sat Feb 06 2021 08:51 pm

Even deleting and re-installing Syncterm has not changed the issue and I
    can't find any config files on the system (Windows) that are telling it to load in full-screen.

If you are on linux I suspect your ~/syncterm/syncterm.ini is where the startup is set to full screen, and it is still the same after a re-install.

Try changing your program settings or backup that file and delete it and start fresh.

Your dialing directory is likely in there too, so don't lose that file.. :)

Ttyl :-),
    Al

... Romulans, Ferengi, and Borgs. Oh My!!

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Randers on Sat Feb 6 20:38:58 2021

Hey all.

Number one: When I create a new user account using Syncterm on my board, on the first login once the standard login questions are complete, all bold ANSI colours (but only bold colours) are in a different font - the font that you see on Vertruaen on the login sequence (Looks like some kind of RIP font but I can't be sure on that) but it is for the first login only. Once you log off and log back on as that same user the font is fine. Other terminals such as Netrunner are not obviously unaffected. Any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

https://wiki.synchro.net/config:fonts.ini

Number two: This is an embarrasing one. My Syncterm is stuck in full-screen mode and hitting Alt-Enter makes the screen flicker for a second but it remains in full-screen mode. Even deleting and re-installing Syncterm has not changed the issue and I can't find any config files on the system (Windows) that are telling it to load in full-screen. It's really strange. As much as I like it, I need to be able to have it in a small window when I'm working on other stuff.

Hope someone can help. Cheers and thanks as always.

Set the "Video Output Mode" in SyncTERM Program Settings.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #19:
    The first Synchronet BBS (Vertrauen) went live in July of 1991 (replacing WWIV).
    Norco, CA WX: 76.8°F, 18.0% humidity, 4 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Randers@VERT/MINDS3 to Al on Mon Feb 15 23:32:20 2021
    By: Al to Randers on Sat Feb 06 2021 03:56 am

Even deleting and re-installing Syncterm has not changed the issue and I
    can't find any config files on the system (Windows) that are telling it to load in full-screen.

If you are on linux I suspect your ~/syncterm/syncterm.ini is where the startup is set to full screen, and it is still the same after a re-install.

Try changing your program settings or backup that file and delete it and start fresh.

Your dialing directory is likely in there too, so don't lose that file.. :)

Hey Al, thanks for the advice. I came up with another solution. Deleted Windows. Installed Ubuntu. Seems to have fixed it :) and it was time to take the plunge anyway.

Randers

---
  • From Randers@VERT/MINDS3 to Digital Man on Mon Feb 15 23:33:06 2021
    By: Digital Man to Randers on Sat Feb 06 2021 03:38 pm

Set the "Video Output Mode" in SyncTERM Program Settings.

Thanks DM. I knew it was in there somewhere.

Randers

---
  • From Marisag@VERT/AMIGAC to Randers on Mon Feb 15 05:53:51 2021
    By: Randers to Al on Mon Feb 15 2021 18:32:20

Hey Al, thanks for the advice. I came up with another solution. Deleted Windows. Installed Ubuntu. Seems to have fixed it :) and it was time to take the plunge anyway.

Way to go :)

Marisa
    --- https://SynchronetBBS.org/HostSplash - SBBS hosting for $14/month
    ■ Synchronet ■ Amiga City - The BBS for the Amiga - more than 4,000+ files
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Randers on Mon Feb 15 20:48:45 2021
    By: Al to Randers on Sat Feb 06 2021 03:56 am

Randers

---

You can run Ubuntu without Windows on a computer? I did that once and couldn’t run some of my devices.

$ The Millionaire $

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Randers@VERT/MINDS3 to The Millionaire on Tue Feb 16 21:14:20 2021
    By: The Millionaire to Randers on Mon Feb 15 2021 03:48 pm

You can run Ubuntu without Windows on a computer? I did that once and couldn't run some of my devices.

Depends on how obscure the devices are I guess. Definitely no need for Windows though if it is all recent-ish hardware. Ubuntu recognised all of my hardware including my nVidia 1050TI graphics card and ancient printer with zero effort.

It took me about 5 days to have it all running nicely, but I now have every single bit of software I had on my Windows install catered for in Ubuntu, and every single Ubuntu/linux app that is replacing the Windows stuff is open source or at least free to use. Pretty cool.

The main headaches were anti-virus/malware/firewall software (which most argue isn't needed under Linux for most home users anyway) because they seemed to really depend on a lot of the packages that aren't used much by the 'run of the mill' software. Some of that stuff took a while to get right.

Randers

---
  • From Mortifis@VERT/SBBS230C to Randers on Wed Feb 17 23:33:00 2021
    RE: Two questions....
    BY: Randers to Al on Mon Feb 15 2021 06:32 pm

Even deleting and re-installing Syncterm has not changed the issue a I
    can't find any config files on the system (Windows) that are telling to load in full-screen.

If you are on linux I suspect your ~/syncterm/syncterm.ini is where the startup is set to full screen, and it is still the same after a re-instal

Your dialing directory is likely in there too, so don't lose that file..

Hey Al, thanks for the advice. I came up with another solution. Deleted Wind

Randers

I know I( am late to the party but uninstalling syncterm on windows does not clear the systerm.ini file located in c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SyncT ERM\ ... it can bew edited there or I am sure using the Settings option in SyncTerm can help ... or perhaps the short cut or program seetings were set to Run Maximized.

Glad you got it solved and switched to *nix

~mortifis

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Stranger Daze BBS * Synchronet v2.30c
  • From Randers@VERT/MINDS3 to Mortifis on Thu Feb 18 23:48:07 2021
    By: Mortifis to Randers on Wed Feb 17 2021 06:33 pm

I know I( am late to the party but uninstalling syncterm on windows does not clear the systerm.ini file located in c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SyncT ERM\ ... it can bew edited there or I am sure using the Settings option in SyncTerm can help ... or perhaps the short cut or program seetings were set to Run Maximized.

Glad you got it solved and switched to *nix

Hey thanks... That does make sense. I searched the entire hard disk for 'syncterm' looking for an .ini file, or config file of some kind... I figured it was there somewhere but for some reason it didn't show up. Ah well. It was the final straw that has lead to a pretty damn nice Ubuntu setup, so all's well that ends well.

Randers

---
  • From Randers@VERT/MINDS3 to all on Thu Feb 18 23:51:22 2021
    By: Mortifis to Randers on Wed Feb 17 2021 06:33 pm

Hey Al, thanks for the advice. I came up with another solution. Deleted Wind

Randers

PS This thread isn't a criticism of the software (or you, DM!). I love Syncterm and I'm coming to you live from it right now. It's a big fat criticism of Windows.

Randers

---