• Nodes without binkp in nodelist entry?

From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to All on Mon Jun 14 10:25:30 2021
    I think I spotted an issue when I went through my sbbsecho logs. I'm trying to send mail to 1:114/710, and I saw this error:

6/14 10:18:39a BINKOUT Attempting callout for 1:114/710@fidonet, file: C:\sbbs\binkit\outbox\007202c6.cut
    6/14 10:18:39a BINKOUT JSBinkP/4 callout to 1:114/710@fidonet started
    6/14 10:18:43a BINKOUT Connecting to 1:114/710@fidonet at undefinedf710.n114.z1.binkp.net:0
    6/14 10:18:43a BINKOUT Connection to undefinedf710.n114.z1.binkp.net:undefined failed (Error: Invalid port).

This node's entry from the nodelist:

,710,Darkest_Hour_BBS,Maricopa_AZ,Shawn_Rapp,-Unpublished-,9600,CM,IFC,ITN,INA: dhbbs.org

The node isn't flying a bink flag, but it looks like Synchronet is trying to connect anyways.

I tried telnetting to the node in question on 24554 and got an answer, so it looks like the nodelist is in error. I've netmailed the NC.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jun 14 19:07:43 2021
    Re: Nodes without binkp in nodelist entry?
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to All on Mon Jun 14 2021 10:25 am

This node's entry from the nodelist:

,710,Darkest_Hour_BBS,Maricopa_AZ,Shawn_Rapp,-Unpublished-,9600,CM,IFC,ITN ,INA: dhbbs.org

The node isn't flying a bink flag, but it looks like Synchronet is trying to connect anyways.

IFC = a system that is capable of RAW or IFCICO
    ITN = a system that does TELNET

he may have some kind of telnet mailer set up via telnet/vmodem, or maybe ifmail. Not everyone uses binkd.

I tried telnetting to the node in question on 24554 and got an answer, so it looks like the nodelist is in error. I've netmailed the NC.

If there's no binkd response, and there's no binkd flag, then the nodelist is not in error. Ideally BinkIT wouldn't try calling it, since it's not flying the appropriate flag. If you're trying to send netmail to the node, I'd suggest routing it through his NC.

DaiTengu

... Half Moon tonight. (At least its better than no Moon at all.)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jun 14 17:24:44 2021
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to All on Mon Jun 14 2021 10:25 am

Subject: Nodes without binkp in nodelist entry?
    @MSGID: <60C7910A.61035.dove.sync@realitycheckbbs.org>
    @TZ: c1e0

^^^ This indicates there's an issue with your QWK networking setup. Can you compare with https://wiki.synchro.net/howto:dove-net ?

I think I spotted an issue when I went through my sbbsecho logs. I'm trying to send mail to 1:114/710, and I saw this error:

6/14 10:18:39a BINKOUT Attempting callout for 1:114/710@fidonet, file: C:\sbbs\binkit\outbox\007202c6.cut

That's a BinkIt log, not SBBSecho log. The SBBSecho log output is in data/sbbsecho.log.
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #6:
    Karl: he should've had a chance to grow up. He would had fun some time.
    Norco, CA WX: 89.7°F, 33.0% humidity, 12 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to DaiTengu on Mon Jun 14 18:05:54 2021
    By: DaiTengu to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jun 14 2021 07:07 pm

If there's no binkd response, and there's no binkd flag, then the nodelist is not in error. Ideally BinkIT wouldn't try calling it, since it's not flying the appropriate flag. If you're trying to send netmail to the node, I'd suggest routing it through his NC.

There is a binkd response, but no binkd flag in the nodelist. What's puzzling is that without a bink flag, binkit is trying to connect. Based on the "undefined" part of the connect string and selecting port 0, it seems like something's off.

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Digital Man on Mon Jun 14 18:34:17 2021
    By: Digital Man to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jun 14 2021 05:24 pm

@MSGID: <60C7910A.61035.dove.sync@realitycheckbbs.org>

^^^ This indicates there's an issue with your QWK networking setup. Can you compare with https://wiki.synchro.net/howto:dove-net ?

Yeah, a couple of settings were off.

6/14 10:18:39a BINKOUT Attempting callout for 1:114/710@fidonet, file:
    C:\sbbs\binkit\outbox\007202c6.cut

That's a BinkIt log, not SBBSecho log. The SBBSecho log output is in data/sbbsecho.log.

I don't see anything regarding binkit connections in my sbbsecho.log. I'm running Windows, looking in the window has been the only way I've seen entries for binkit.

---
  • From Shawn Rapp@VERT to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jun 14 18:37:33 2021
    I think I spotted an issue when I went through my sbbsecho logs. I'm trying to send mail to 1:114/710, and I saw this error: undefinedf710.n114.z1.binkp.net:undefined failed (Error: Invalid port). This node's entry from the nodelist: ,710,Darkest_Hour_BBS,Maricopa_AZ,Shawn_Rapp,-Unpublished-,9600,CM,IFC,ITN dhbbs.org
    The node isn't flying a bink flag, but it looks like Synchronet is
    trying to connect anyways.
    I tried telnetting to the node in question on 24554 and got an answer,
    so it looks like the nodelist is in error. I've netmailed the NC.

Really appreciate your help! I've been trying to figure this out for a while now.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Darkest Hour BBS (dhbbs.org) (1:114/710)
  • From Digital Man@VERT to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Jun 16 17:41:51 2021
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to DaiTengu on Mon Jun 14 2021 06:05 pm

@MSGID: <60C7FCF2.61039.dove.sync@realitycheckbbs.org>
    @REPLY: <60C7EF4F.50770.dove-syncdisc@warensemble.com>
    By: DaiTengu to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jun 14 2021 07:07 pm

There is a binkd response, but no binkd flag in the nodelist. What's puzzling is that without a bink flag, binkit is trying to connect. Based on the "undefined" part of the connect string and selecting port 0, it seems like something's off.

I agree: any appearance of "undefined" in JavaScript modules/utilities is highly suspect of a bug.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #83:
    Donations to the Synchronet project are welcome at wiki.synchro.net/donate Norco, CA WX: 84.9°F, 45.0% humidity, 9 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Jun 16 17:43:29 2021
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Digital Man on Mon Jun 14 2021 06:34 pm

6/14 10:18:39a BINKOUT Attempting callout for 1:114/710@fidonet, file: >> C:\sbbs\binkit\outbox\007202c6.cut

I don't see anything regarding binkit connections in my sbbsecho.log. I'm running Windows, looking in the window has been the only way I've seen entries for binkit.

In the message to which I was replying, you said "I think I spotted an issue when I went through my sbbsecho logs" - I was pointing out that the log output you were pasting into the message was from BinkIt, not SBBSecho.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #29:
    FDSZ = FOSSIL DSZ (by Chuck Forsberg)
    Norco, CA WX: 84.9°F, 45.0% humidity, 9 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Shawn Rapp on Wed Jun 16 22:47:32 2021
    Re: Re: Nodes without binkp in nodelist entry?
    By: Shawn Rapp to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jun 14 2021 06:37 pm

Really appreciate your help! I've been trying to figure this out for a while now.

Glad to help! If you're running Binkp only, you should ask your NC to get rid of the IFC and ITN flags and add an IBN flag.

---
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Jun 17 09:20:30 2021
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to DaiTengu on Mon Jun 14 2021 06:05 pm

If there's no binkd response, and there's no binkd flag, then the
    nodelist is not in error. Ideally BinkIT wouldn't try calling it,
    since it's not flying the appropriate flag. If you're trying to send
    netmail to the node, I'd suggest routing it through his NC.

I read your message at least half a dozen times, and my brain kept seeing "I tried telnetting.... there was no response"

Maybe I just need more coffee. <G>

DaiTengu

... OUT TO LUNCH - If not back at five, OUT TO DINNER!

---
  • From Daryl Stout@VERT/TBOLT to DaiTengu on Thu Jun 17 16:53:00 2021
    Maybe I just need more coffee. <G>

Then use Javascript...instructions on how to make it. <G>

H.A.M. -- Have Another Meal...and if you eat ham, you're cannibalistic!!
    I saw your message on Winlink...I'm taking a bit of a break from that packet deal...but the last few weeks when I went to check into or run nets, I took
    a close lightning strike, or my internet went out.

Daryl

... Why do old men wear their pants higher than younger men?
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to Daryl Stout on Thu Jun 17 19:16:05 2021
    Re: Nodes without binkp in no
    By: Daryl Stout to DaiTengu on Thu Jun 17 2021 04:53 pm

H.A.M. -- Have Another Meal...and if you eat ham, you're cannibalistic!! I saw your message on Winlink...I'm taking a bit of a break from that packet deal...but the last few weeks when I went to check into or run nets, I took a close lightning strike, or my internet went out.

No worries. I had my Whispernet link working briefly for like a day, but then it strangely stopped working again. I had sent you a message in the hamradio echo there, but I don't think it ever got disseminated. cr1mson hasn't been online in quite a few days, but once he pops back on maybe he can help me figure out the issue.

DaiTengu

... Everybody should believe in something: I believe I'll have another drink.

---
  • From Daryl Stout@VERT/TBOLT to DaiTengu on Fri Jun 18 11:04:00 2021
    No worries. I had my Whispernet link working briefly for like a day,
    but then it strangely stopped working again. I had sent you a message
    in the hamradio echo there, but I don't think it ever got disseminated.
    cr1mson hasn't been online in quite a few days, but once he pops back
    on maybe he can help me figure out the issue.

A cold front will move through Monday into Tuesday, with storms...so,
    that means BBS downtime...but some cooler weather for a couple of days.
    During meteorological summer (June 1 through August 31), getting a cold
    front to move through Arkansas is rare.

Daryl

... Polaroids: What Eskimos get from sitting on ice too long.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas