• Problem with legacy tosser (Squish) and Sync's MSGID

From Marc Lewis@VERT to Rob Swintell on Tue Dec 1 02:35:26 2020
    Hello Rob.

Of late, my old Squish tosser (OS/2) is having an insurmountable problem with NetMails containing data other than the Node number and the time/date code. Here is an example:

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-CUT-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
    Date : Thu Nov 12, 16:04 25 pvt rcv
    To : areafix 7205:396/45
    Subj : xxxxxxxx =============================================================================== =
    TZUTC: -0600
    MSGID: 7205@1:124/5016 24130381

That apparent message number followed by the @ symbol in the MSGID line completely throws Squish for a loop as far as the Zone number is concerned.
    Both the from and to address are Zone 1 addresses but for some reason Squish cannot fathom the xxxx@ in the MSGID line.

Is there anything that can be done to correct this? Maybe omitting the apparent message number or some kind of spacing? I am not any kind of programmer so I cannot give any suggestions. I can only say that it is ONLY messages coming from a Synchronet system that causes this problem and ONLY when it is NetMail. Echomail is unaffected apparently.

I am at a complete loss. Your help will be very much appreciated!

Best regards,
    Marc

--- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    * Origin: Sursum Corda! BBS-Huntsville,AL-bbs.sursum-corda.com (1:396/45)
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Marc Lewis on Tue Dec 1 01:04:05 2020
    Re: Problem with legacy tosser (Squish) and Sync's MSGID
    By: Marc Lewis to Rob Swintell on Mon Nov 30 2020 09:35 pm

Hello Rob.

Of late, my old Squish tosser (OS/2) is having an insurmountable problem with NetMails containing data other than the Node number and the time/date code. Here is an example:

Date : Thu Nov 12, 16:04 25 pvt rcv From : Nigel Reed 7205:124/5016
    To : areafix 7205:396/45
    Subj : xxxxxxxx ============================================================ =================== =
    TZUTC: -0600
    MSGID: 7205@1:124/5016 24130381

That apparent message number followed by the @ symbol in the MSGID line completely throws Squish for a loop as far as the Zone number is concerned. Both the from and to address are Zone 1 addresses but for some reason Squish cannot fathom the xxxx@ in the MSGID line.

Is there anything that can be done to correct this? Maybe omitting the apparent message number or some kind of spacing? I am not any kind of programmer so I cannot give any suggestions. I can only say that it is ONLY messages coming from a Synchronet system that causes this problem and ONLY when it is NetMail. Echomail is unaffected apparently.

It sounds like Squish is trying to parse the source address from the MSGID? It definitely should not be doing that. Squish is open source, do you have the means to recompile it if somewhere were to supply a source code fix/patch for it?
    --
    digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #17:
    "Vertrauen" (ver-trow-en) translates to "trust" in German, and was a band name. Norco, CA WX: 64.1°F, 20.0% humidity, 2 mph WSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Marc Lewis@VERT to Digital Man on Tue Dec 1 14:17:32 2020
    Hello Digital.

<On 30Nov2020 20:04 Digital Man (1:103/705) wrote a message to Marc Lewis regarding Problem with legacy tosser (Squish) and Sync's MSGID >

[snip]

That apparent message number followed by the @ symbol in the MSGID line completely throws Squish for a loop as far as the Zone number is
    concerned. Both the from and to address are Zone 1 addresses but for
    some reason Squish cannot fathom the xxxx@ in the MSGID line.
    [snip]

It sounds like Squish is trying to parse the source address from
    the MSGID? It definitely should not be doing that. Squish is open
    source, do you have the means to recompile it if somewhere were to
    supply a source code fix/patch for it?

First, thanks for taking a look at my message and for your suggestion. I would indeed be interested in a re-compilation of the Squish executable, but have absolutely no method of accomplishing that. I should note that on occasion I run the DOS version of the executable (though not very often) so both the OS/2 and the DOS versions would need to be re-compiled.

Next I need to ask about the @MSGID line itself. (I am still digging to find the FidoNet technical spec that covers it.) I was told *years* back that the only thing that was supposed to be in that line were the originating Node number and the hex date/time code - nothing else. Perhaps the person telling me this (long deceased) may have misinterpreted something... So let me ask you; what's the spec for that line?

As I mentioned before, and there's absolutely no disrespect intended, Synchronet's NetMail messages are the ONLY ones that cause Squish to go nuts... In fact, only a couple years ago or so, Squish had zero problems with NetMail messages from Synchronet... Until the apparent message numbers started appearing in that line. What prompted the change in that line's format?

Also, if there's someone you know of that can re-compile Squish's executable with the recommended changes, please let me know. If you prefer to do it outside of EchoMail, e-mail me at marc.lewis@sursum-corda.com or marc.w@marclewis.org.

Many thanks.

Best regards,
    Marc

--- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
  • From Marc Lewis@VERT to Rob Swindell on Tue Dec 1 14:51:28 2020
    Hello Rob.

<<Following up a message from Marc Lewis to Rob Swintell about
    ^^^^^^^^ Problem with legacy tosser (Squish) and Sync's MSGID >>

I just noticed the typo in your name. Sorry!

Best regards,
    Marc

--- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
  • From echicken to Marc Lewis on Tue Dec 1 20:02:15 2020
    Re: RE: Problem with legacy tosser (Squish) and Sync's MSGID
    By: Marc Lewis to Digital Man on Tue Dec 01 2020 09:17:32

Next I need to ask about the @MSGID line itself. (I am still digging to find the FidoNet technical spec that covers it.) I was told *years* back

It's the subject of FTS-009; I don't know if any subsequent docs mention it or propose any extensions.

http://ftsc.org/docs/fts-0009.001

that the only thing that was supposed to be in that line were the originating Node number and the hex date/time code - nothing else. Perhaps

The serial number must be hex but need not be a representation of date/time.

the person telling me this (long deceased) may have misinterpreted something... So let me ask you; what's the spec for that line?

Please see here for a detailed write-up that DM did on this some time ago:

http://wiki.synchro.net/faq:misc#ftn_msgid

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Marc Lewis on Tue Dec 1 17:27:34 2020
    Re: RE: Problem with legacy tosser (Squish) and Sync's MSGID
    By: Marc Lewis to Digital Man on Tue Dec 01 2020 09:17 am

Hello Digital.

<On 30Nov2020 20:04 Digital Man (1:103/705) wrote a message to Marc Lewis regarding Problem with legacy tosser (Squish) and Sync's MSGID >

[snip]

That apparent message number followed by the @ symbol in the MSGID line completely throws Squish for a loop as far as the Zone number is concerned. Both the from and to address are Zone 1 addresses but for
    [snip]

the MSGID? It definitely should not be doing that. Squish is open source, do you have the means to recompile it if somewhere were to supply a source code fix/patch for it?

First, thanks for taking a look at my message and for your suggestion. I would indeed be interested in a re-compilation of the Squish executable, but have absolutely no method of accomplishing that. I should note that on occasion I run the DOS version of the executable (though not very often) so both the OS/2 and the DOS versions would need to be re-compiled.

It's probably easier to get the DOS version recompiled than the OS/2 version. Have you persued either? There should be free tools available to do both.
    https://github.com/sdudley/maximu

Next I need to ask about the @MSGID line itself. (I am still digging to find the FidoNet technical spec that covers it.) I was told *years* back that the only thing that was supposed to be in that line were the originating Node number and the hex date/time code - nothing else. Perhaps the person telling me this (long deceased) may have misinterpreted something... So let me ask you; what's the spec for that line?

Oh, I have a whole (rather long) FAQ on that subject: http://wiki.synchro.net/faq:misc#ftn_msgid

As I mentioned before, and there's absolutely no disrespect intended, Synchronet's NetMail messages are the ONLY ones that cause Squish to go nuts... In fact, only a couple years ago or so, Squish had zero problems with NetMail messages from Synchronet... Until the apparent message numbers started appearing in that line. What prompted the change in that line's format?

Before June of this year, Synchronet did not put message-IDs in FTN NetMail messages. This is the requested-changed that added them:
    http://cvs.synchro.net/commitlog.ssjs#42030

So I don't think there was any recent change in the FTN Message-ID Format used by SBBS/SBBSecho, but rather the inclusion of the MSGID's in NetMail messages to begin with.

Also, if there's someone you know of that can re-compile Squish's executable with the recommended changes, please let me know. If you prefer to do it outside of EchoMail, e-mail me at marc.lewis@sursum-corda.com or marc.w@marclewis.org.

The only other OS/2 advocate I can think of off hand is Sean Dennis. I could help with the C code change if he or someone can handle the build part for DOS and OS/2.
    --
    digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #14:
    The Boston gig has been cancelled. [Don't] worry, it's not a big college town. Norco, CA WX: 80.9°F, 10.0% humidity, 2 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Marc Lewis@VERT to Digital Man on Wed Dec 2 02:04:32 2020
    [Long message]
    Hello Digital.

<On 01Dec2020 12:27 Digital Man (1:103/705) wrote a message to Marc Lewis regarding RE: Problem with legacy tosser (Squish) and Sync's MSGID >

Of late, my old Squish tosser (OS/2) is having an insurmountable
    problem with NetMails containing data other than the Node number
    and the time/date code. Here is an example:
    [snip]

That apparent message number followed by the @ symbol in the MSGID line completely throws Squish for a loop as far as the Zone number is concerned. Both the from and to address are Zone 1 addresses but for
    [snip]

the MSGID? It definitely should not be doing that. Squish is open source, do you have the means to recompile it if somewhere were to supply a source code fix/patch for it?
    [snip]

It's probably easier to get the DOS version recompiled than the
    OS/2 version. Have you persued either? There should be free tools available to do both. https://github.com/sdudley/maximu

I'll go have a look at that.
    [snip]
    deceased) may have misinterpreted something... So let me ask
    you; what's the spec for that line?

Oh, I have a whole (rather long) FAQ on that subject: http://wiki.synchro.net/faq:misc#ftn_msgid

Good. I'll pull that as well.

As I mentioned before, and there's absolutely no disrespect intended, Synchronet's NetMail messages are the ONLY ones that cause Squish to go nuts... In fact, only a couple years ago or so, Squish had zero problems with NetMail messages from Synchronet... Until the apparent message
    numbers started appearing in that line. What prompted the change in
    that line's format?

Before June of this year, Synchronet did not put message-IDs in FTN NetMail messages. This is the requested-changed that added them:

http://cvs.synchro.net/commitlog.ssjs#42030

Okay, your log states:
    "Log Message:
    According to August Abolins (2:221/1.58):
    "Other systems produce [FTN MSG-IDs for NetMail messages)
    quite nicely: HotdogEd, BBBS, Mageia, Platinum Express,
    GED+LNX, and OpenXP. I took it for granted that SBBS
    would be in the same league. It makes it super easy to
    link up a netmail conversation or generate a graphical-tree
    when a msgid exists.

I was spoiled into thinking that msgid was ubiquitous in
    netmail as well.""

TTBOMK, Squish has been inserting a MSGID line in NetMail since I started using it some 20+ years ago... But it does it without inserting a message
    number followed by the "@" symbol. And the NetMail area on my system is fully linked - always have been.

So I don't think there was any recent change in the FTN Message-ID
    Format used by SBBS/SBBSecho, but rather the inclusion of the
    MSGID's in NetMail messages to begin with.

Here are a few examples from various systems sending me NetMail with MSGID lines:

Date : Tue Jul 07, 18:38 1333 pvt cra rcv rrq
    To : Marc Lewis 1:396/45
    Subj : New BBS Number =======================================================================
    INTL 1:396/45 1:19/75
    PID: RA 2.5 21639 [RA]
    MSGID: 1:19/75 b94e3b10
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Date : Tue Oct 20, 00:17 1388 pvt rcv
    Subj : ,IBM ??? =======================================================================
    INTL 1:396/45 2:280/5555
    REPLY: 1:396/45.0 f8a68300 [GoldEd]
    MSGID: 2:280/5555 5f8e126d
    CHRS: LATIN-1 2
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Date : Fri Oct 30, 13:56 1407 pvt cra rcv
    Subj : Test message ========================================================================
    INTL 1:396/45 2:221/360
    MSGID: 2:221/360 5f9bff64
    REPLY: 1:396/45.0 f9b69dc0
    PID: JamNNTPd/OS2 1.3 20201025
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-[only this one is echomail]
    Date : Wed Nov 18, 17:30 4612 scn
    To : ALL
    Subj : BH&G 932 ========================================================================
    TID: PX/Win v3.0pr5 PX96-0466M2
    MSGID: 1:123/140 b6f00031
    TZUTC: -0500
    =-=And finally, BBBS NetMail-=-
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Date : Tue Dec 01, 11:20 2121 pvt rcv
    Subj : The MSGID line format ========================================================================
    INTL 1:396/45 1:261/38
    MSGID: 1:261/38.0 628bf7fb
    REPLY: 1:396/45.0 fc5a40a0

Not one of those systems insert [example only]
    @MSGID: 1234@1:999/9999 ec82de14
    ^^^^^
    into NetMail messages. EchoMail messages are a completely different story.
    The addition of those extra characters into the @MSGID line have no effect
    on Squish whatsoever.

Also, if there's someone you know of that can re-compile Squish's
    executable
    [snip]
    The only other OS/2 advocate I can think of off hand is Sean
    Dennis. I could help with the C code change if he or someone can
    handle the build part for DOS and OS/2.

I've sent him a message.

I only wish Sync's NetMails didn't have those extra characters in that line, but I'm sure you had a good reason for doing it that way.

Best regards,
    Marc

--- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+