• check out the custom multi-function shell at grudgedu.synchro.net

From LaRRy LaGoMoRpH@VERT/GRUDGEDU to All on Tue Mar 11 05:08:27 2014
    yo wassup everyone, i figured i'd post an ad in the bbs area. i think i am pretty much almost done with the exception of some little things with the makings of a pretty cool little shell. i couldn't have built it with a ton of the stuff that's in cvs and using people's libraries and some helpful prodding/neglect in irc i was able to build this javascript monster despite the fact that i hadn't ever done javascript or much programming at all in quite some time. (and my best language was HyperTalk)

WE NOW HAVE GUEST ACCESS, however, YOU SHOULD HAVE ANSI.

the best(preferred) way of accessing the bbs is through our website, http://www.grudgemirror.com/ and entering the secret code from Contra, aka the Konami Code :

UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, B, A

The website and the BBS are still in beta, and the radio station doesn't have a DJ. They work together somewhat, but hopefully we'll be able to put together something even cooler, but it's definitely a little whiiles away. I digress, check out the shell, it does some neat things. if you have any questions or comments, let me know

the artist formerly known as grudge,

larry lagomorph

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ \1yF\1mU\1cT\1wU\1rR\1gELand : \1w find us through www.grudgemirror.com or grudg
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to LaRRy LaGoMoRpH on Wed Mar 12 00:22:31 2014
    Re: check out the custom multi-function shell at grudgedu.synchro.net
    By: LaRRy LaGoMoRpH to All on Tue Mar 11 2014 01:08 am

the best(preferred) way of accessing the bbs is through our website, http://www.grudgemirror.com/ and entering the secret code from Contra, aka the Konami Code :

This didn't work for me, but I think it's because I'm on a Mac, and the mac reports different ascii codes for the arrows.

But I checked your source and saw the URL for the BBS, so I gave it a quick look. Pretty interesting work!

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    ■ Synchronet
  • From LaRRy LaGoMoRpH@VERT/GRUDGEDU to Kirkman on Tue Mar 11 23:18:33 2014
    By: Kirkman to LaRRy LaGoMoRpH on Tue Mar 11 2014 08:22 pm

This didn't work for me, but I think it's because I'm on a Mac, and the mac reports different ascii codes for the arrows.

Hmm.. interesting, I actually mostly use the Mac too, although I'm a chrome user most of the time. It pops up in my safari but gives me a hassle about my flash version. Not sure about other browsers, but it's definitely on my list of things to do is make it super browser compatible. There's another way of getting there just via clicking an image as well.

Anyhow, thanks for visiting and for the feedback. I enjoy reading all the cool stuff on breakintochat btw, keep up the good work!

l.l
    M

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ \1yF\1mU\1cT\1wU\1rR\1gELand : \1w find us through www.grudgemirror.com or grudg
  • From KF5QEO@VERT/MAINLINE to Kirkman on Wed Mar 12 02:03:22 2014
    By: Kirkman to LaRRy LaGoMoRpH on Tue Mar 11 2014 20:22:31

This didn't work for me, but I think it's because I'm on a Mac, and the
    mac reports different ascii codes for the arrows.
    I wouldn't even be able to remember all that to begin with. Not to mention, I'm personally turned off by web based BBS's. I really hate to bash anyone's efforts to modify a BBS, even when they set it up such that new users can't do anything but logoff, when they require a comment to be validated. But, in this day and age hiding your url, and requireing an encrypted sequence to enter the BBS really sounds like a step in the backwards direction.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Roach Guts -- kingcoder.net
  • From LaRRy LaGoMoRpH@VERT/GRUDGEDU to KF5QEO on Wed Mar 12 16:05:58 2014
    By: KF5QEO to Kirkman on Tue Mar 11 2014 10:03 pm

I wouldn't even be able to remember all that to begin with. Not to
    mention, I'm personally turned off by web based BBS's. I really hate to
    bash anyone's efforts to modify a BBS, even when they set it up such
    that new users can't do anything but logoff, when they require a comment
    to be validated. But, in this day and age hiding your url, and
    requireing an encrypted sequence to enter the BBS really sounds like a
    step in the backwards direction.

I'm constantly working against this sort of backlash... why do you want to hide your BBS as an Easter Egg? why would you want content from the web to go into your BBS and content from your BBS to go out into the web? Honestly, bbs guys and web people all seem to be set in one way of doing things, and that's a recipe for mediocrity.

I've figured out a few ways to syndicate data b/w the website and the BBS, and they are building up to be compliments to each other. Anyhow, if you had logged into my BBS perhaps you would see that I'm not working with any sort of stock shell and have some features that I haven't seen in other shells.

Anyhow, if you don't like logging into web-based BBS's this isn't a web-based BBS, however it is designed as a compliment to the website and eventually it will be a tool for creating user moderated content via an RPG game that will happen in the BBS. Also, the web interface provides a connection to our internet radio station simultaneously (it is not broadcasting right now, however, when it does it is live music coming off a board in the studio).

If you want to go on a non-ansi board that is connected to fidonet and uses stock shells, be my guest, but I'd rather do something a little different.

---
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to Kirkman on Fri Mar 14 16:28:30 2014

There's a fair bit of wrong here, but none of it really matters...

1) There are no ascii codes for the arrows on any modern home computer.
    2) The software is what sends the control sequence for the arrow keys.
    3) Most terminal packages support multiple emulations, often just changing
    a setting will fix this.

Basically, it's the software not the hardware (if the actualy problem is not understood arrow keys).

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    ■ Synchronet ■ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to Kirkman on Fri Mar 14 16:29:31 2014
    By: Deuce to Kirkman on Fri Mar 14 2014 12:28 pm

3) Most terminal packages support multiple emulations, often just changing
    a setting will fix this.

Replace "terminal packages" with "web browsers" in this case. Heh.

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    ■ Synchronet ■ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to LaRRy LaGoMoRpH on Sat Mar 22 17:52:23 2014
    By: LaRRy LaGoMoRpH to All on Tue Mar 11 2014 01:08 am

HAH! love it

oh you have to enter real ctrl+a codes if you want your tagline to be in color

you can do this with scfg -d

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Kirkman on Sat Mar 22 17:53:23 2014

works for me.

i dont have a plugin for it though

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to KF5QEO on Sat Mar 22 17:54:55 2014
    By: KF5QEO to Kirkman on Tue Mar 11 2014 10:03 pm

mention, I'm personally turned off by web based BBS's. I really hate to bash anyone's efforts to modify a BBS, even when they set it up such that

how about just having ftelnet on a website? nothing wrong with that.
    have you ever tried it?

new users can't do anything but logoff, when they require a comment to be validated. But, in this day and age hiding your url, and requireing an encrypted sequence to enter the BBS really sounds like a step in the backwards direction.

did you look at his site? it tells you what to do in the browser header

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to LaRRy LaGoMoRpH on Sat Mar 22 17:56:03 2014
    By: LaRRy LaGoMoRpH to KF5QEO on Wed Mar 12 2014 12:05 pm

I'm constantly working against this sort of backlash... why do you want to hide your BBS as an Easter Egg? why would you want content from the web to go into your BBS and content from your BBS to go out into the web?

there's nothing wrong with what you're doing. you're making it fun

---
  • From LaRRy LaGoMoRpH@VERT/GRUDGEDU to Mro on Sat Mar 22 18:07:31 2014
    By: Mro to LaRRy LaGoMoRpH on Sat Mar 22 2014 01:56 pm

there's nothing wrong with what you're doing. you're making it fun

cool, glad you enjoyed it, we actually butted heads a bit when i first got on dovenet talking about resurrecting bbs'ing. my ideas have shifted somewhat, although i still think it is possible. i'm still trying to make it so someone who's never been on a bbs before will find it accessible and cool, but i know how do it, just got to reach the point where i can do it.

i'm not sure if it's up yet for download, but there's a virtual keyboard demo for the html 5 term using css now, which will mean more mobile compatibility. i can't claim credit for this idea, but eventually if no one else gets around to it, i'd like to put it up on the site but using an opacity effect to layer the keyboard on the terminal so you can access it on your smart phone. maybe someone better suited to that can or is working on it. but i haven't found a great way to access an ansi bbs from a phone yet, and if it could be done in the browser in a slick way, booyah-shaka!

i've got one big project i'm thinking about right now, and it's the one that really crosses that big bridge between what i'm trying to do with the website and the bbs. it's a pretty unique idea, such that i'm actually more inclined to keep it close to the vest at this point, since i haven't started working on it while i finish up a couple things that i'll probably release to the public:

1. A Javascript door game version of the Oregon Trail that I am trying to port from a BASIC version in a computer magazine from 1977

2. I think I might make my shell available, as it's been pretty stable for a while now. I've designed it to be modular and customizable as far as the look and feel and a bunch of options such that it needn't look the same at all from BBS to BBS. The color and layout stuff is in a separate file from menu options and RSS feeds etc. What's holding me back is that I need to write docs and break things down a little better for the generic BBS, as well as the fact that I couldn't program worth a damn 3 months ago (although I was ok for a kid with a macintosh in 1992) and there are some things that maybe should be done (like enabling node messages, etc) that i'm not in a hurry to do. But my reasons for releasing it would be I built it out of neccessity because I couldn't find a shell that anyone would make available that would work the way I wanted it to. I saw some shells that inspired me by a lot of the coa members, tried to figure out what was going on (I still haven't figured it all out), looked at shells in cvs, searched for bits of code here and there. Anyhow, it'd be fine by me to give it out because if people use that shell and connect to the same chat server, it makes chat more exciting, and i'm hoping to make it well document and modular enough that it shouldn't look too similar from BBS to BBS if you understand how to tweek it. so i guess the reason i'd put it out there is i'm not super protective of it because it's mostly just a collection o a bunch of cherry picked code with my own lemon twist, but my concern is whether or not putting it out there will make me have to invest a lot of time working on the project after for my own purposes it is mostly done for the time being, and time is of the essence, for I must move onto the next project, which is elaborate, secret, yet entirely possible and yet hopefully not too complicated, but I've got to learn a little PHP for the next phase.

Whee, that was a rambling #2, I think I need to eat something. I should really browse these forums in a Web browser so I don't write these long winded messages that are hard to edit, but such is the glory of BBS'ing. I forgot I just typed this to see if the CTRL-A codes work. (almost aborted my message trying to do it in the editor)... hopefully in the tag line. <ramble> <ramble>

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ FutureLand www.grudgemirror.com OR telnet grudgedu.synchr