• Retro BBS Closing

From metalhead@VERT/CYBERIA to Deepend on Fri Aug 14 04:02:00 2015
    Are you sure you can't find cheaper stuff to keep it running? I was impressed with the costs I've encountered putting my BBS back up.

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 (Linux)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org | Kingwood, TX
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to metalhead on Fri Aug 14 23:22:47 2015
    Re: Retro BBS Closing
    By: metalhead to Deepend on Fri Aug 14 2015 12:02 am

Are you sure you can't find cheaper stuff to keep it running? I was impressed with the costs I've encountered putting my BBS back up.

running a bbs is not expensive. even electricity wise.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Hustler@VERT/DMINE to Mro on Fri Aug 21 18:09:01 2015
    Re: Retro BBS Closing
    By: Mro to metalhead on Fri Aug 14 2015 07:22 pm

running a bbs is not expensive. even electricity wise.

Costs the same as Turning your PC on daily. Now if the BBS is idle everyday that could cost someone ill feelings right? Just adding my 2cents here.

HusTler

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Al@VERT/TRMB to Hustler on Sat Aug 22 14:38:00 2015
    On 08/22/15, Hustler said the following...

Costs the same as Turning your PC on daily. Now if the BBS is idle everyday that could cost someone ill feelings right? Just adding my
    2cents here.

That's it. There are other costs aside from $$ in running a BBS. Time for one thing. I quite enjoy the time I spend on the BBS (my own or someone else's)
    but I have to admit it costs me a lot of time.. :)

Ttyl :-),
    Al

* Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Al on Sat Aug 22 20:09:08 2015
    Re: Re: Retro BBS Closing
    By: Al to Hustler on Sat Aug 22 2015 10:38 am

On 08/22/15, Hustler said the following...

Costs the same as Turning your PC on daily. Now if the BBS is idle everyday that could cost someone ill feelings right? Just adding my 2cents here.

That's it. There are other costs aside from $$ in running a BBS. Time for one thing. I quite enjoy the time I spend on the BBS (my own or someone else's) but I have to admit it costs me a lot of time.. :)

what do you consider a lot of time?
    you set something up and that takes a little bit of time, but hopefully it stays working. it may break once in a while but you restore a backup or fix it some other way.

i've been doing this shit since '92 and i dont think i've ever had to just step back and say "whoa, i spend too much time on this stuff. it's taking over my life".

i have a real problem with people saying they don't have time for things. in most cases they are doing nothing or just doing recreational things they REALLY want to do. then you have people who don't have time for people unless they get something out of it.

in my book, in most cases, if you dont have time for something, you are lying or you have bad time managment skills. i have stuff i plan on doing after the work day and stuff i save until the weekend.

there are extreme cases where people do not have time for anything, but i think they're few.

---
  • From Al@VERT/TRMB to Mro on Sat Aug 22 23:15:00 2015
    On 08/22/15, Mro said the following...

what do you consider a lot of time?

I don't worry much about time. The kids are on their own now, have been for a while so I have plenty of it. Aside from the fact I need to be at work at a certain time my pace is pretty leisurely these days.. :)

you set something up and that takes a little bit of time, but hopefully
    it stays working. it may break once in a while but you restore a backup
    or fix it some other way.

That reminds me, time to update that backup!

i've been doing this shit since '92 and i dont think i've ever had to
    just step back and say "whoa, i spend too much time on this stuff. it's taking over my life".

I have, when the kids were still at home I didn't have time for the BBS I
    would have liked but some things are more impotant. But really, if I could
    have arranged it I would have been on the BBS or BBSing.

i have a real problem with people saying they don't have time for
    things. in most cases they are doing nothing or just doing recreational things they REALLY want to do.

I'm going to make time for a trip to the pool for a steam bath this weekend.

then you have people who don't have time for people unless they get something out of it.

I have no time for these people!

in my book, in most cases, if you dont have time for something, you are lying or you have bad time managment skills. i have stuff i plan on
    doing after the work day and stuff i save until the weekend.

I have failed to accomplish what I had in mind to do and then blamed the failure on lack of time when really it was a lack of planning and/or organization.

there are extreme cases where people do not have time for anything, but
    i think they're few.

I think mental fatigue can also play a roll, and if we are not aware of that
    we call it a lack of time.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

* Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada
  • From Timesoarer@VERT/DRAC to Hustler on Sun Aug 23 14:27:07 2015
    By: Al to Hustler on Sat Aug 22 2015 10:38 am

You really have to like Computers to leave them run.
    I like giving them something to do that's why I run linux. My setup is a LH3 NetServer with 4 power supplies 900 watts, another proliant server 900 watts,
    a Ham Station Desktop, a FTN Computer, 1 gaming.. The electric company
    graphs my useage. You should see the drop just shuting down for a month.
    All worth the fun though.

Here is my Ad - Part of message-- If you play Diabloe 3 I'm Kraft Magic
    on battlenet. Looking for other people to play. BBS is drac.synchro.net

?? How many people remember the great CoCo Game Draconian?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Draconian BBS - Boone, Iowa
  • From Hustler@VERT/DMINE to Timesoarer on Mon Aug 24 18:14:04 2015
    By: Timesoarer to Hustler on Sun Aug 23 2015 10:27 am

Costs the same as Turning your PC on daily. Now if the BBS is idle
    everyday that could cost someone ill feelings right? Just adding
    my 2cents here.

You really have to like Computers to leave them run.
    I like giving them something to do that's why I run linux. My setup is a LH3 NetServer with 4 power supplies 900 watts, another proliant server 900 watts, a Ham Station Desktop, a FTN Computer, 1 gaming.. The electric company graphs my useage. You should see the drop just shuting down for a

I'm pretty sure you don't need all of that to run a BBS. That's just my opinion..I could be wrong.

HusTler

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Deepend@VERT to metalhead on Sat Aug 29 03:13:00 2015

As far as costs I could probably save by running it at home but most ports
    are blocked by my ISP and I really don't like having to have things on non- standard ports. Is why I always leased a dedicated server for the BBS. I
    still have a dedicated server for my websites and some other websites I host for other people, but is a server literally dedicated to that purpose.

Maybe one day I'll use another ISP that doesn't block so many ports. (but my speeds are a lot better on this ISP so probably not any time soon. 100Mbps
    down 20Mbps up)

Thanks
    Mike

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From metalhead@VERT/CYBERIA to Deepend on Sat Aug 29 14:52:00 2015
    Maybe one day I'll use another ISP that doesn't block so many ports.

I get it. I forgot that not everyone has the same ISP. I almost changed to a cheaper service, without even thinking about the effects it could have on the BBS.

* Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org | Kingwood, TX
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Deepend on Sat Aug 29 21:18:07 2015
    By: Deepend to metalhead on Fri Aug 28 2015 11:13 pm

are blocked by my ISP and I really don't like having to have things on non- standard ports. Is why I always leased a dedicated server for the BBS. I still have a dedicated server for my websites and some other websites I
    host for other people, but is a server literally dedicated to that purpose.

you could easily run a bbs software along with whatever else you are running on that dedicated server. but if you dont want to do it, that's fine and that's your choice. you have only been up since dec of last year, correct?

---