• New Users

From HusTler@VERT/DIGDIST to Valhalla Home Services on Sat Oct 22 13:54:19 2016
    Re: Valhalla Home Services BBS Advertisement
    By: Valhalla Home Services to All on Sun Oct 16 2016 00:57:29

This guy wants to shine a flashlight up your ass when you apply for a new account. Do people really give SysOps like this their real info? Wow! That's some scarey shit.

HusTler

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Knightmare@VERT/P99BBS to HusTler on Sat Oct 22 18:03:31 2016
    Re: New Users
    By: HusTler to Valhalla Home Services on Sat Oct 22 2016 09:54 am

This guy wants to shine a flashlight up your ass when you apply for a new account. Do people really give SysOps like this their real info? Wow! That's some scarey shit.

HusTler

I have about 16 users on my board since it's relaunch and I can see about 3 of them used bogus names or email addresses. The rest are true records. There are all types out there... Same as it ever was...

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Precinct 99 BBS -- p99bbs.homenet.org - Lewis Center, OH USA
  • From DesotoFireflite@VERT/VALHALLA to HusTler on Sat Oct 22 19:47:42 2016

Would be nice if you had the balls to write me a private message about this instead of smearing my name all over the net. All I ask for is you real name and address for my records, but you are welcome to use a handle. There is a warning before you join, and you have the option to decline. I hope you did decline, as people like you give BBSing a bad name. Go back to your kiddie world, and leave the adults alone.

SysOp: C.G. Learn, AKA: DesotoFireflite
    Valhalla Home Services! - (Synchronet) - bbs.valhallahomeservices.com:2323 Valhalla II! - (GAP) - bbs.valhallahomeservices.com
    A Gamers Paradise - Over 150 Registered Online Game Doors!

--- FART(n): An audio test of one's waste-disposal system.
    ■ Synchronet ■ Valhalla Home Services ■ USA ■ http://valhalla.synchro.net
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to HusTler on Sat Oct 22 21:09:48 2016

This guy wants to shine a flashlight up your ass when you apply for a new account. Do people really give SysOps like this their real info? Wow!
    That's some scarey shit.

HusTler

you need to quote better because i dont knwo if you are talking about a conversation or the person you are replying to.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to HusTler on Sat Oct 22 21:15:27 2016
    By: Mro to HusTler on Sat Oct 22 2016 05:09 pm

This guy wants to shine a flashlight up your ass when you apply for a
    new account. Do people really give SysOps like this their real info?
    Wow! That's some scarey shit.

HusTler

you need to quote better because i dont knwo if you are talking about a conversation or the person you are replying to.
    conversation or the person you are replying to.

okay so it's about cg learn's bbs. you are correct, he's going a bit overboard with the questions. but... his catching scheme for false info is pretty poor. i was able to enter penis1 penis2,etc for most info.

i dont think he's a bad guy, and i know he's been around for a while, i just think he used bad judgement here.

i would only ask that users use a real location name and email address[for getting lost password]. that's just me. people do things how they want and they pay the price if it doesnt work out.

---
  • From DesotoFireflite@VERT/VALHALLA to Mro on Sun Oct 23 11:46:37 2016
    By: Mro to HusTler on Sat Oct 22 2016 05:15 pm

okay so it's about cg learn's bbs. you are correct, he's going a bit overboard with the questions. but... his catching scheme for false info is pretty poor. i was able to enter penis1 penis2,etc for most info.

Why would you do that. That info is now all over my last 10 callers. You know I would have never done that to you, not even to prove a point. Come on, we've been friends for a long time, that just wasn't right. I deleted the account, but your welcome to sign back in using proper credentials.

i dont think he's a bad guy, and i know he's been around for a while, i just think he used bad judgement here.

It's old software for gods sake. I have no control over the questions it asks. This software was made in the early 90's. It's up to show people what BBS'ing was like back then. GAP, which is the one your talking about, is my orig system when I first started. Synchronet, my main system, and my moder system, I ask the users at initial account setup for there real info also for the first time. Damn't man, it's my system, and I have a right to set it up the way I feel. I don't sell this info, or let others have access to it, but I want the correct info to begin with. If it's to hard to give an honest name, address, and phone number, I really don't want that person on my system. Why is this even a concern to other people, if you or they don't like my system, just don't call it, but if you or they do call it, respect me enough to give me true information.

I have tried to give the public two nice systems, that they can play games on, get old files, and feel proud to be a member of. I give this freely, and to be critizized for the way I conduct and run my system from other sysops is just wrong on any level. I've been running a bbs since 1991, and I've never had to defend my system like this.

Valhalla Home Services! - (Synchronet) - bbs.valhallahomeservices.com:2323 Valhalla II! - (GAP) - bbs.valhallahomeservices.com

--- I hear what you're saying but I just don't care.
  • From Hustler@VERT to Valhalla on Sun Oct 23 17:10:35 2016
    By: DesotoFireflite to Mro on Sun Oct 23 2016 07:46 am

wrong on any level. I've been running a bbs since 1991, and I've never had t defend my system like this.

People weren't "stalking" people in 1991 like they do today. There's sickos everwhere. Anyone that gives a SysOp real info doesn't belong on a BBS anyway. That's what the web is for.

HusTler

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Phil Taylor@VERT/MB to HusTler on Mon Oct 24 01:33:00 2016

HusTler

Hustler

Sysops volunteer their time and use of their systems and the users access
    such systems is a PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT. The sysop's have plenty of justification to for their rules that they establish on their own systems.

I have been running a public bulletin board system for a long time,so I have learned from experience that some the users intentions to do harm can be questioned. You may have forgot that some of the networks like Fidonet
    requires the users to use their real name when posting messages in some
    of the echoes.

Back in the 90's a individual user caused some issues in one of the Fidonet Echoes. He used a alias name to post a message in one of the echoes and he pissed off several users including the echo moderator. I received a complaint from the echo moderator, ban the user from the system and he went around ban and creating a new account using different information. Then he cross posted and pissed off some user in the other echoes and pissed off the echo moderators.

Most users intentions are good several of the users on my bbs system have caused a lot of issues.

This is a prime example explains that without having standard rules you have
    no accountability like what is going on in the internet newsgroups.

Most sysop's have the ability to protect the users privacy, and they should respect them. I do not agree with the statement you made above.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A30 (Windows)
    * Origin: Mystic.dynu.net 2310
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to DesotoFireflite on Mon Oct 24 00:46:12 2016

By: Mro to HusTler on Sat Oct 22 2016 05:15 pm

okay so it's about cg learn's bbs. you are correct, he's going a bit overboard with the questions. but... his catching scheme for false
    info is pretty poor. i was able to enter penis1 penis2,etc for most info.

Why would you do that. That info is now all over my last 10 callers. You know I would have never done that to you, not even to prove a point. Come on, we've been friends for a long time, that just wasn't right. I deleted the account, but your welcome to sign back in using proper credentials.

well i didnt do it to put penis all over your screens, and you can edit that text file manually. i was just checking whatever system you had to look for fake info.

no i wouldnt give my name and address and other information. it's just a bbs and i'm not doing business with you.

It's old software for gods sake. I have no control over the questions it asks. This software was made in the early 90's. It's up to show people what BBS'ing was like back then. GAP, which is the one your talking about, is my

oh, i didnt notice it was gap. i just logged in for a second to see what the guy was talking about.

orig system when I first started. Synchronet, my main system, and my moder system, I ask the users at initial account setup for there real info also for the first time. Damn't man, it's my system, and I have a right to set
    it up the way I feel. I don't sell this info, or let others have access to it, but I want the correct info to begin with. If it's to hard to give an

yeah you're right, you have a right to run it how you want to. just like i run shit the way i run it.

it, but I want the correct info to begin with. If it's to hard to give an honest name, address, and phone number, I really don't want that person on my system. Why is this even a concern to other people, if you or they don't like my system, just don't call it, but if you or they do call it, respect me enough to give me true information.

honestly i dont get why you want people's real names and addresses.

on, get old files, and feel proud to be a member of. I give this freely,
    and to be critizized for the way I conduct and run my system from other sysops is just wrong on any level. I've been running a bbs since 1991, and I've never had to defend my system like this.

no it's not wrong for people to voice their gut reaction of being asked all these personal questions; it's these people being honest.

you're running a public system so you are open to criticism.

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Hustler on Mon Oct 24 00:49:00 2016
    By: Hustler to Valhalla on Sun Oct 23 2016 01:10 pm

wrong on any level. I've been running a bbs since 1991, and I've never had t defend my system like this.

People weren't "stalking" people in 1991 like they do today. There's sickos everwhere. Anyone that gives a SysOp real info doesn't belong on a BBS anyway. That's what the web is for.

hey hey hey!

i was stalking people THEN and i am stalking them NOW!!

anyways, what i think today's sysop should be looking for in a user is someone that is genuine. and you can do that by asking for an email address and location and a watchful eye.

these people signing up to his system could be bots just entering in info from a script, so it's not proving much.

anyways, it's his system and he can do what he wants. and he will see the outcome of his decisions.

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Phil Taylor on Mon Oct 24 00:52:37 2016
    By: Phil Taylor to HusTler on Sun Oct 23 2016 09:33 pm

Sysops volunteer their time and use of their systems and the users access such systems is a PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT. The sysop's have plenty of

it's not a priviledge or a right, IT'S A FUCKING HOBBY.
    you have no right to my personal information no more than i have a right to your personal information. furthermore these are just shitty bbses with msgs and files and games. there's nothing special to it.

I have been running a public bulletin board system for a long time,so I
    have learned from experience that some the users intentions to do harm can be questioned. You may have forgot that some of the networks like Fidonet requires the users to use their real name when posting messages in some
    of the echoes.

real name or a REAL SOUNDING NAME. and ..... they dont require address. furthermore, plenty of people with REAL NAMES HAVE CAUSED HAVOK ON FIDONET... so what good is that logic.

Most sysop's have the ability to protect the users privacy, and they should respect them. I do not agree with the statement you made above.

i dont trust any person i dont know with my personal information without some type of protection. any clown can run a bbs.

---
  • From Steven Sheeley@VERT/INFINITY to Hustler on Mon Oct 24 01:43:14 2016
    Hello Hustler!

23 Oct 16 13:10, you wrote to Valhalla:

@h@bRe@n@b: @h@cNew Users
    @bBy@n@b: @h@cDesotoFireflite @bto @cMro @bon @cSun Oct 23 2016
    07:46 am@n

wrong on any level. I've been running a bbs since 1991, and I've
    never had t defend my system like this.

People weren't "stalking" people in 1991 like they do today. There's sickos everwhere. Anyone that gives a SysOp real info doesn't belong
    on a BBS anyway. That's what the web is for.

I really hope you were kidding with this comment. Last time I looked, the number of data breaches that resulted in anyone's personal information being released from a BBS was, uhm, nil? And yet, we blindly give our must personal information to a website to purchase "Stuff We Must Have" (TM) and say nothing when a data breach occurs and tens of millions of accounts are released to the underground

Steven

... Yo' momma's so fat when she fell in love she broke it!
    --- GoldED+/W32-MSVC 1.1.5-b20160322
    ■ Synchronet ■ Split Infinity BBS - infinity.synchro.net
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Steven Sheeley on Mon Oct 24 03:23:26 2016
    By: Steven Sheeley to Hustler on Sun Oct 23 2016 09:43 pm

I really hope you were kidding with this comment. Last time I looked, the number of data breaches that resulted in anyone's personal information
    being released from a BBS was, uhm, nil? And yet, we blindly give our must

can i have your credit card number?

---
  • From Steven Sheeley@VERT/INFINITY to Mro on Mon Oct 24 11:16:49 2016
    Hello Mro!

23 Oct 16 23:23, you wrote to me:

@h@h@gRe@n@h@g: @h@h@gNew Users
    number of data breaches that resulted in anyone's personal
    information
    being released from a BBS was, uhm, nil? And yet, we blindly give
    our must

can i have your credit card number?
    ---
    ■ @gSynchronet@n ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Sure.

xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

Steven

... Kiss me, I carry a job interview!
  • From DesotoFireflite@VERT/VALHALLA to Phil Taylor on Mon Oct 24 21:30:53 2016

Sysops volunteer their time and use of their systems and the users access such systems is a PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT. The sysop's have plenty of justification to for their rules that they establish on their own systems.

Thanks Phil, I appreciate that.

--- SENILE.COM found...Out of Memory...
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to DesotoFireflite on Mon Oct 24 20:46:36 2016

okay so it's about cg learn's bbs. you are correct, he's going a bit overboard with the questions. but... his catching scheme for false
    info is pretty poor. i was able to enter penis1 penis2,etc for most info.

Why would you do that. That info is now all over my last 10 callers. You

PENIS IS THE FIRST WORD THAT COMES TO MY MIND! SORRY!

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to DesotoFireflite on Mon Oct 24 20:50:25 2016
    By: DesotoFireflite to Phil Taylor on Mon Oct 24 2016 05:30 pm

Sysops volunteer their time and use of their systems and the users access such systems is a PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT. The sysop's have
    plenty of justification to for their rules that they establish on
    their own systems.

Thanks Phil, I appreciate that.

the funny thing is, there's no fucking users anymore to see me write penis1 as my location and nobody wants the privilege of being a bbs user anymore.

they'd rather use facebook or look at pics on imgur.

---
  • From DesotoFireflite@VERT/VALHALLA to Mro on Mon Oct 24 22:28:01 2016
    By: Mro to DesotoFireflite on Sun Oct 23 2016 08:46 pm

no i wouldnt give my name and address and other information. it's just a bbs and i'm not doing business with you.

And that's your right, but on the same token, I adhear to the rules of the given BBS I log into. Honestley, It's a name, address, and phone number. I don't give out the info, I don't sell the info, and I sure as hell don't call or write anyone, but I do require that people give honest and factual info when signing up for the first time. Everyone can use a handle from that poing forward in all the games, and most of the echos except for fidonet.

oh, i didnt notice it was gap. i just logged in for a second to see what the guy was talking about.

That's ok, most don't. It's old software. I'm kinda proud that I got it to work on telnet. It was the first software I used back in the day. It does have it limitations, but I'm still proud of it as I was a beta tester on the GAP Team.

yeah you're right, you have a right to run it how you want to. just like i run shit the way i run it.

Yes, And that is you options, and I respect it fully. I just ask to be respected for what I do, and the rules I have. We both run two different kinds of systems, and there is a place for both of us. I really like your system, and as you know I visit from time to time. I have nothing bad to say about your system or the way you run it, and I respect you and your oppinion. You know I have asked you many times from help, and prob will again in the future.

honestly i dont get why you want people's real names and addresses.

It's just the way I choose to do it

no it's not wrong for people to voice their gut reaction of being asked all these personal questions; it's these people being honest.

I agree, no harm no foul

you're running a public system so you are open to criticism.

Yes, I know, but do it with respect. I just don't feel what was said about the flashlight was respectfull, that all.

--- Old farts never die! They just smell that way...
  • From Dribble@VERT/LUNATIC to Mro on Mon Oct 24 20:00:55 2016
    By: Mro to DesotoFireflite on Mon Oct 24 2016 04:50 pm

the funny thing is, there's no fucking users anymore to see me write penis1 as my location and nobody wants the privilege of being a bbs user anymore.

Sadly you are very correct, I get maybe a call a month on my bbs now. We are in a dying hobby unfortunately.

Pushing users away is definately not the answer in this day and age that we are in.

|08% |15Dribble|08 [|15ACiDiC/nRk|08]|07

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Lunatic Fringe - lunatic.zapto.org
  • From Phil Taylor@VERT/MB to Mro on Mon Oct 24 23:41:00 2016

When you agree to exchange mail with different networks then you agree to follow their rules like Fidonet. Using a alias name to post in most of the fidonet echoes is not allowed.

yeah you're right, you have a right to run it how you want to. just like
    i run shit the way i run it.

That is your choice.

it, but I want the correct info to begin with. If it's to hard to give honest name, address, and phone number, I really don't want that person my system. Why is this even a concern to other people, if you or they d like my system, just don't call it, but if you or they do call it, resp me enough to give me true information.

When a new user is creating a new account on my bbs system I only ask the
    users real first & Last Name, City & State and their DOB (MM/YEAR) that is
    used to determine if they should get access to my adult areas. I read to many stories on how a sysop gave their son to X-rated material on their system and got pissed up at them.

I took several measures to help protect the users privacy. The users alias names are used when they are playing online games, post messages in the
    local & in the internet newsgroups. The user whois and userlist commands have been disabled and when the user joins a group that requires them to use their real name a screen displays informing them that they are required to use
    their real names when posting messages in that group. I also have a user privacy statement telling the user(s) that the sysop is prohibited from releasing any information from the user log file.

• From tracker1@VERT/TRNTEST to HusTler on Mon Oct 24 23:26:38 2016
    By: HusTler to Valhalla Home Services on Sat Oct 22 2016 09:54:19

Some people are like that... in any case, most will want at least a legitimate email address and/or phone number for contact. I ask for first/last name and iirc require first and last initial, but unser what it's set to. We are sysops, not the nsa.

--
    Michael J. Ryan
    tracker1(at)gmail.com
    +o Roughneck BBS

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ RoughneckBBS - http://www.roughneckbbs.com/
  • From Knightmare@VERT/P99BBS to Mro on Tue Oct 25 03:00:26 2016
    By: Mro to Hustler on Sun Oct 23 2016 08:49 pm

Hey I went to bbses.info only to see a message that it's offline?
    Damn...

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to DesotoFireflite on Tue Oct 25 02:29:14 2016
    By: DesotoFireflite to Mro on Mon Oct 24 2016 06:28 pm

And that's your right, but on the same token, I adhear to the rules of the given BBS I log into. Honestley, It's a name, address, and phone number. I don't give out the info, I don't sell the info, and I sure as hell don't call or write anyone, but I do require that people give honest and factual info when signing up for the first time. Everyone can use a handle from

so, why do you want real name, address and phone number? what does that information do for you? why isnt name, location and email good enough?

Yes, I know, but do it with respect. I just don't feel what was said about the flashlight was respectfull, that all.

i dont know what you mean by flashlight

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Dribble on Tue Oct 25 02:29:46 2016
    By: Dribble to Mro on Mon Oct 24 2016 04:00 pm

Sadly you are very correct, I get maybe a call a month on my bbs now. We
    are in a dying hobby unfortunately.

so before i said i wasnt getting ddos attacks; now i am.

so i guess we ARE getting users like crazy! just not the good kind.

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Phil Taylor on Tue Oct 25 02:31:53 2016
    By: Phil Taylor to Mro on Mon Oct 24 2016 07:41 pm

When you agree to exchange mail with different networks then you agree to follow their rules like Fidonet. Using a alias name to post in most of the fidonet echoes is not allowed.

you can post in fidonet and other msg nets under an alias if you SIGN your name at the bottom.

sysops can just lock down the areas and ask users to apply to have access.

but come on now... we dont have tons of users so this is all imaginary.

to use their real names when posting messages in that group. I also have a user privacy statement telling the user(s) that the sysop is prohibited
    from releasing any information from the user log file.

if you are legally bound to release information you will.

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Knightmare on Tue Oct 25 02:32:25 2016
    By: Knightmare to Mro on Mon Oct 24 2016 11:00 pm

By: Mro to Hustler on Sun Oct 23 2016 08:49 pm

Hey I went to bbses.info only to see a message that it's offline?
    Damn...

yep! lovin it!
    it's not offline. it's quite online. it's just closed for some people.

---
  • From Knightmare@VERT/P99BBS to Mro on Tue Oct 25 16:29:40 2016
    By: Mro to DesotoFireflite on Mon Oct 24 2016 10:29 pm

He means a torch.

---
  • From Knightmare@VERT/P99BBS to Mro on Tue Oct 25 16:30:32 2016
    By: Mro to Dribble on Mon Oct 24 2016 10:29 pm

Why have all the fun? We sent some your way. :)

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Knightmare on Tue Oct 25 19:59:58 2016
    By: Knightmare to Mro on Tue Oct 25 2016 12:29 pm

By: Mro to DesotoFireflite on Mon Oct 24 2016 10:29 pm

He means a torch.

what does he mean by torch

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Knightmare on Tue Oct 25 20:00:35 2016
    By: Knightmare to Mro on Tue Oct 25 2016 12:30 pm

By: Mro to Dribble on Mon Oct 24 2016 10:29 pm

Why have all the fun? We sent some your way. :)

i'm just blocking all the countries except a handful i tollerate.

---
  • From DesotoFireflite@VERT/VALHALLA to Mro on Wed Oct 26 15:33:55 2016

Unfortunatly, you are correct on that point. Most all users are sysops now

--- Don't eat the yellow snow!
  • From Hustler@VERT/DMINE to DesotoFireflite on Wed Oct 26 18:13:09 2016
    By: DesotoFireflite to Mro on Wed Oct 26 2016 11:33 am

the funny thing is, there's no fucking users anymore to see me write
    penis1 as my location and nobody wants the privilege of being a bbs
    user anymore.
    [B
    How can a SysOp get new users? All you guys talk about is blocking
    connections and using real info. Man... BBSing has sure changed since my days as a SysOp. I'm glad I'm just a simple user. Who needs the headaches you guys create?

HusTler

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Zero Reader@VERT/ALKY to Hustler on Wed Oct 26 18:50:00 2016
    On 10/26/16, Hustler said the following...

How can a SysOp get new users? All you guys talk about is blocking connections and using real info. Man... BBSing has sure changed since my days as a SysOp. I'm glad I'm just a simple user. Who needs the
    headaches you guys create?

Don't forget:

- Discussions about IPv6
    - We still haven't figured out how to setup message networks efficiently, so there are still endless test messages.
    - How do I setup LORD?
    - Moderators pitching fits because a real name wasn't used on a dead fido base - "HAM" licenses. And BTW guys, it's "ham" not "HAM" ... ham radio... ham doesn't stand for anything.
    - Why can't XX 20+ year old software work with XX 20+ year old tosser.
    - etc etc...

That being said, I enjoy the hell out of BBSing! :-)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A31 (Raspberry Pi)
    * Origin: Alcoholiday / Est. 1995 / alco.bbs.io
  • From Knightmare@VERT/P99BBS to Hustler on Wed Oct 26 22:01:00 2016
    By: Hustler to DesotoFireflite on Wed Oct 26 2016 02:13 pm

user anymore.
    [B
    How can a SysOp get new users? All you guys talk about is blocking connections and using real info. Man... BBSing has sure changed since my days as a SysOp. I'm glad I'm just a simple user. Who needs the headaches you guys create?

HusTler

Don't let the banter you've been reading mislead you. From what's been bussing on the 'Net there is a new crop of people that are curious about BBS's.

I had a converstation with younger friends and the topic of how life was, "before the Internet", and I told them about BBS's. :)

---
  • From Phil Taylor@VERT/MB to Steven Sheeley on Thu Oct 27 00:32:00 2016
    23 Oct 16 13:10, you wrote to Valhalla:

@h@bRe@n@b: @h@cNew Users
    @bBy@n@b: @h@cDesotoFireflite @bto @cMro @bon @cSun Oct 23 2016 07:46 am@n

wrong on any level. I've been running a bbs since 1991, and I've
    never had t defend my system like this.

I really hope you were kidding with this comment. Last time I looked,
    the numbe r of data breaches that resulted in anyone's personal information being released from a BBS was, uhm, nil? And yet, we blindly give our must personal informatio n to a website

Steven

Our privacy statement is very clear that the information you include during
    the signup process is used ONLY FOR ADMINISTRATIVE PURPOSES.

There is no functions on my bbs system that allows the users to list the last 10 callers and ONLY THE SYSOP CAN SEARCH THE USERLOG FILE.

• From Phil Taylor@VERT/MB to DesotoFireflite on Thu Oct 27 00:41:00 2016
    no it's not wrong for people to voice their gut reaction of being ask all these personal questions; it's these people being honest.

I agree, no harm no foul

When a person is convicted in U.S court there name is public record. If your conviected of other crims your name and address is also public record.

• From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Hustler on Wed Oct 26 23:54:33 2016
    By: Hustler to DesotoFireflite on Wed Oct 26 2016 02:13 pm

user anymore.
    [B
    How can a SysOp get new users? All you guys talk about is blocking connections and using real info. Man... BBSing has sure changed since my days as a SysOp. I'm glad I'm just a simple user. Who needs the headaches you guys create?

i have no fucking idea. i tried it all.

some people even tried giving away money and that didnt work.

---
  • From Phil Taylor@VERT/MB to Mro on Thu Oct 27 01:04:00 2016
    so, why do you want real name, address and phone number? what does that information do for you? why isnt name, location and email good enough?

Mro

If the users are unable to follow the simple signup procedure do you think
    they are really think if you allowed them to use a alias name to post
    messages in the Fidonet Echoes that they are going to include their real
    name? I do not think that will happen.

In the U.S there is no such thing as privacy in the courts nor on Federal Documents or being a Federal Employee, In Accordance to the Privacy Act of
    1974 names is not protected under that law.

• From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Knightmare on Wed Oct 26 23:57:22 2016
    By: Knightmare to Hustler on Wed Oct 26 2016 06:01 pm

How can a SysOp get new users? All you guys talk about is blocking connections and using real info. Man... BBSing has sure changed since my days as a SysOp. I'm glad I'm just a simple user. Who needs the
    headaches you guys create?

Don't let the banter you've been reading mislead you. From what's been bussing on the 'Net there is a new crop of people that are curious about BBS's.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

god you are fucking funny

I had a converstation with younger friends and the topic of how life was, "before the Internet", and I told them about BBS's. :)

did they walk away?
    btw, bbses werent before the internet

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Phil Taylor on Wed Oct 26 23:58:21 2016
    By: Phil Taylor to Steven Sheeley on Wed Oct 26 2016 08:32 pm

I really hope you were kidding with this comment. Last time I looked, the numbe r of data breaches that resulted in anyone's personal information being released from a BBS was, uhm, nil? And yet, we blindly give our must personal informatio n to a website

Our privacy statement is very clear that the information you include during the signup process is used ONLY FOR ADMINISTRATIVE PURPOSES.

There is no functions on my bbs system that allows the users to list the last 10 callers and ONLY THE SYSOP CAN SEARCH THE USERLOG FILE.

that means nothing!!!

---
  • From Phil Taylor@VERT/MB to Mro on Thu Oct 27 01:46:00 2016

By: Phil Taylor to Steven Sheeley on Wed Oct 26 2016 08:32 pm

I really hope you were kidding with this comment. Last time I loo the numbe r of data breaches that resulted in anyone's personal information being released from a BBS was, uhm, nil? And yet, we blindly give our must personal informatio n to a website

Our privacy statement is very clear that the information you include du the signup process is used ONLY FOR ADMINISTRATIVE PURPOSES.

There is no functions on my bbs system that allows the users to list th last 10 callers and ONLY THE SYSOP CAN SEARCH THE USERLOG FILE.

that means nothing!!!

---

Mro

Yes it does. The users are informed of our privacy statement and I enforce
    it. The user online, user list menu commands have been disabled.

The user haveto provide their real name but they also have the option to use
    a alias name, If the network policy allows them to use a alias name, then the system is configured to use their alias name except for Fidonet. If the user joins a message bases that requires them to use their real name then a
    warning notice is posted on the screen to inform them of the rules.

• From Steven Sheeley@VERT/INFINITY to Mro on Thu Oct 27 11:21:30 2016
    Hello Mro!

26 Oct 16 19:57, you wrote to Knightmare:

did they walk away?
    ---
    ■ @gSynchronet@n ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Depends on your definition. ARAPANET started in the late 60's/early 70's. ARAPANET was limited and not open to the public. In the early 80's it was opened up to other systems, but not to the general public. In the late 80's the World Wide Web came to life and started the ball running as we know it.

The first recorded dial-up BBS was developed and brought online by Ward Christensen and Randy Suess using CBBS in 1978 and was open to the public.

So, I'm sorry Mro, systems accessible to the general public were BBSes and did, in fact, predate the generally accessible Internet.

Steven

... Zucchini is NOT the name of a revealing swimsuit!
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Phil Taylor on Thu Oct 27 21:35:04 2016
    By: Phil Taylor to Mro on Wed Oct 26 2016 09:04 pm

so, why do you want real name, address and phone number? what does
    that information do for you? why isnt name, location and email good enough?

Mro

If the users are unable to follow the simple signup procedure do you think they are really think if you allowed them to use a alias name to post messages in the Fidonet Echoes that they are going to include their real name? I do not think that will happen.

In the U.S there is no such thing as privacy in the courts nor on Federal Documents or being a Federal Employee, In Accordance to the Privacy Act of 1974 names is not protected under that law.

first, let's all recognize that i am the greatest bbs sysop that ever lived. and if that's too hard for you to believe i'm sure you can put me in the top ten.

that being said, fuck fidonet. nobody likes fidonet. fuck them up their stupid asses. bunch of faggots on fidonet. i dont know what's more lame. you ham radio faggots or fidonet guys.

anyways, i have seen people sign their name in their fidonet msgs, and i have also done that and i wasnt the first guy to do it. besides, who the fuck cares? it's fidonet. there's 5 people using it.

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Phil Taylor on Thu Oct 27 21:35:34 2016
    By: Phil Taylor to Mro on Wed Oct 26 2016 09:46 pm

There is no functions on my bbs system that allows the users to
    list th last 10 callers and ONLY THE SYSOP CAN SEARCH THE USERLOG FILE.

that means nothing!!!
    Mro

Yes it does. The users are informed of our privacy statement and I enforce it. The user online, user list menu commands have been disabled.

you dont even have users

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Steven Sheeley on Thu Oct 27 21:36:45 2016
    By: Steven Sheeley to Mro on Thu Oct 27 2016 07:21 am

did they walk away?

Depends on your definition. ARAPANET started in the late 60's/early 70's. ARAPANET was limited and not open to the public. In the early 80's it was

the internet even existed before bbses.

The first recorded dial-up BBS was developed and brought online by Ward Christensen and Randy Suess using CBBS in 1978 and was open to the public.

okay captain wikipedia

So, I'm sorry Mro, systems accessible to the general public were BBSes and did, in fact, predate the generally accessible Internet.

nope. bbses did not come before the internet. that was what was stated and that is not true.

---
  • From Phil Taylor@VERT/MB to Mro on Fri Oct 28 00:43:00 2016
    so, why do you want real name, address and phone number? what does that information do for you? why isnt name, location and email goo enough?

Mro

Your asking for the users personnel information:

This is your new signup on your bbs system.

Enter Name, User Number, or NEW : New
    [[1m] Do you have a color terminal? Yes
    [[1m] Does your terminal support IBM extended ASCII? Yes
    [[30m] Enter your full name or alias: Jack The Ripper
    [[30m] Enter your full real name:

If the users are unable to follow the simple signup procedure do you th they are really think if you allowed them to use a alias name to post messages in the Fidonet Echoes that they are going to include their rea name? I do not think that will happen.

In the U.S there is no such thing as privacy in the courts nor on Feder Documents or being a Federal Employee, In Accordance to the Privacy Act 1974 names is not protected under that law.

first, let's all recognize that i am the greatest bbs sysop that ever lived. and if that's too hard for you to believe i'm sure you can put me in the top ten.

That is your option since you can act like a adult.

that being said, fuck fidonet. nobody likes fidonet. fuck them up their stupid asses. bunch of faggots on fidonet. i dont know what's more
    lame. you ham radio faggots or fidonet guys.

anyways, i have seen people sign their name in their fidonet msgs, and i have also done that and i wasnt the first guy to do it. besides, who
    the fuck cares? it's fidonet. there's 5 people using it.

---

You wrong again here.

To : All Msg Date : 06/26/16 08:45 ╨▓╨╨│╨╨┤╨"╨╡╨ü╤╨╨╢╨╨╖╨▄╨╕ Refer to : 0
    Stat : Echo See Also : 0 ───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── -={ 2016-06-26 08:45:43.612226264 +0000 }=-

The subject is exactly 66 chararters and 132 bytes in length and contains no spaces.

As per typical quests of yore, only to the purest of hearts will the secrets of

the subject be revealed in all it's glory. :::snicker:::

_
    (.\
    |/(\
    \(\\
    ---m-m\---
    \
    ... The Norwegian Blue - Pining for the fj├╕rds.

• From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Phil Taylor on Fri Oct 28 02:15:43 2016
    By: Phil Taylor to Mro on Thu Oct 27 2016 08:43 pm

does that information do for you? why isnt name, location and email goo enough?

Mro

Your asking for the users personnel information:

This is your new signup on your bbs system.

Enter Name, User Number, or NEW : New
    [[1m] Do you have a color terminal? Yes
    [[1m] Does your terminal support IBM extended ASCII? Yes
    [[30m] Enter your full name or alias: Jack The Ripper
    [[30m] Enter your full real name:

i know what my signup is on my bbs. i'm the guy that wrote it all.

you prove nothing.

anyways, i have seen people sign their name in their fidonet msgs, and i have also done that and i wasnt the first guy to do it. besides,
    who the fuck cares? it's fidonet. there's 5 people using it.

You wrong again here.

nope. fidonet has only a handful of people using it.

---
  • From Steven Sheeley@VERT/INFINITY to Mro on Fri Oct 28 12:18:38 2016
    Hello Mro!

27 Oct 16 17:36, you wrote to me:

okay captain wikipedia

You're welcome Captain Oblivious

nope. bbses did not come before the internet. that was what was
    stated and that is not true.

I know, I know. You reject reality and inject your own misconceptions.

Isn't it grand that we can have civil conversations and not resort to cheap name calling?

As always, it is a pleasure talking to you Mro.

Steven

... Totally non-offensive tagline. G-rated.
  • From Steven Sheeley@VERT/INFINITY to Mro on Fri Oct 28 12:22:56 2016
    Hello Mro!

27 Oct 16 22:15, you wrote to Phil Taylor:

I didn't realize that Fidonet was the gawky unpopular kid waiting, desperately, to be asked to prom. And I didn't realize that the number, or lack there of, of people using Fidonet mattered to anyone. 'Cept maybe you apparently.

Steven

... I distinctly remember forgetting that.
  • From Steven Sheeley@VERT/INFINITY to Mro on Fri Oct 28 12:27:22 2016
    Hello Mro!

27 Oct 16 17:35, you wrote to Phil Taylor:

that being said, fuck fidonet. nobody likes fidonet. fuck them up
    their stupid asses. bunch of faggots on fidonet. i dont know what's
    more lame. you ham radio faggots or fidonet guys.

What a wonderfully composed, well articulated, response Mro. I'm so glad I got to read your words so early in the morning, thank the universe I had my first cup of coffee. :)

Just remember Mro, we love you too.

Steven

... TAGLINES.BBS Taglines About BBSing
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Steven Sheeley on Fri Oct 28 16:30:22 2016
    By: Steven Sheeley to Mro on Fri Oct 28 2016 08:18 am

I know, I know. You reject reality and inject your own misconceptions.

no, it's a fact.

As always, it is a pleasure talking to you Mro.

never heard of you, fgt

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Steven Sheeley on Fri Oct 28 16:31:09 2016
    By: Steven Sheeley to Mro on Fri Oct 28 2016 08:22 am

I didn't realize that Fidonet was the gawky unpopular kid waiting, desperately, to be asked to prom. And I didn't realize that the number, or lack there of, of people using Fidonet mattered to anyone. 'Cept maybe you apparently.

there's a lot of things you arent aware of. it's all part of being stupid.

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Steven Sheeley on Fri Oct 28 16:31:54 2016
    By: Steven Sheeley to Mro on Fri Oct 28 2016 08:27 am

What a wonderfully composed, well articulated, response Mro. I'm so glad I got to read your words so early in the morning, thank the universe I had my first cup of coffee. :)

a third reply from the nobody. i am so lucky.

who are you, again?

---
  • From Mauro Veiga@VERT/ABUTRE2 to MRO on Fri Oct 28 19:36:00 2016
    Quoting Mro to Phil Taylor at 10-27-16 17:35 <=-

Mro

If the users are unable to follow the simple signup procedure do you think they are really think if you allowed them to use a alias name to post messages in the Fidonet Echoes that they are going to include their real name? I do not think that will happen.

In the U.S there is no such thing as privacy in the courts nor on Federal Documents or being a Federal Employee, In Accordance to the Privacy Act of 1974 names is not protected under that law.

first, let's all recognize that i am the greatest bbs sysop that ever lived. and if that's too hard for you to believe i'm sure you can put
    me in the top ten.

that being said, fuck fidonet. nobody likes fidonet. fuck them up
    their stupid asses. bunch of faggots on fidonet. i dont know what's
    more lame. you ham radio faggots or fidonet guys.

anyways, i have seen people sign their name in their fidonet msgs, and
    i have also done that and i wasnt the first guy to do it. besides, who the fuck cares? it's fidonet. there's 5 people using it.

Too much hate in the heart... :-)

... Copper wire was invented by two Ferengi fighting over a penny.
    ___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Ninho do Abutre 2 BBS - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Mauro Veiga on Fri Oct 28 20:12:40 2016
    Re: Re: New Users
    By: Mauro Veiga to MRO on Fri Oct 28 2016 03:36 pm

anyways, i have seen people sign their name in their fidonet msgs, and i have also done that and i wasnt the first guy to do it. besides,

Too much hate in the heart... :-)

just because i said nobody cares about real name in fidonet that doesnt mean there's any hate involved.

---
  • From Tiny@VERT/PHARCYDE to Mro on Sat Oct 29 01:21:32 2016
    Quoting Mro to Steven Sheeley <=-

I'd agree with Mro here. he's 100% correct in my opinion.

Shawn

... Skating away on the thin ice of a new day...

--- EzyBlueWave V3.00 01FB001F
    * Origin: Tiny's BBS - tinysbbs.com (723:1/2)
    ■ Synchronet ■ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From Steven Sheeley@VERT/INFINITY to Mro on Fri Oct 28 19:06:31 2016
    Hello Mro!

28 Oct 16 12:31, you wrote to me:

You must be off your meds again.

who are you, again?

Name's in the From: section. I guess stupid is as stupid does.

Steven

... No good turn goes unpunished
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Tiny on Fri Oct 28 21:13:17 2016
    By: Tiny to Mro on Fri Oct 28 2016 09:21 pm

Quoting Mro to Steven Sheeley <=-

it's just a fact. it doesnt mean anything, but that's what is true.

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Steven Sheeley on Fri Oct 28 21:32:31 2016
    By: Steven Sheeley to Mro on Fri Oct 28 2016 03:06 pm

Hello Mro!

28 Oct 16 12:31, you wrote to me:

You must be off your meds again.

who are you, again?

Name's in the From: section. I guess stupid is as stupid does.

Steven

go back under your rock, mr nobody.
    take your lame comebacks with ya.

---
  • From Phil Taylor@VERT/MB to Mro on Sat Oct 29 00:01:00 2016
    By: Phil Taylor to Mro on Wed Oct 26 2016 09:04 pm

so, why do you want real name, address and phone number? what does that information do for you? why isnt name, location and email goo enough?

Mro

If the users are unable to follow the simple signup procedure do you th they are really think if you allowed them to use a alias name to post messages in the Fidonet Echoes that they are going to include their rea name? I do not think that will happen.

In the U.S there is no such thing as privacy in the courts nor on Feder Documents or being a Federal Employee, In Accordance to the Privacy Act 1974 names is not protected under that law.

I do not realy care and the poputarity of your bbs does not dictate how the other bbs system run their own systems. You have no point here.

that being said, fuck fidonet. nobody likes fidonet. fuck them up their stupid asses. bunch of faggots on fidonet. i dont know what's more
    lame. you ham radio faggots or fidonet guys.

Who cares, at least the users on Fidonet do not act like a child like you.

anyways, i have seen people sign their name in their fidonet msgs, and i have also done that and i wasnt the first guy to do it. besides, who
    the fuck cares? it's fidonet. there's 5 people using it.

---

You really need to learn to clean up your lanuage and act like a adult.

• From Phil Taylor@VERT/MB to Mro on Sat Oct 29 00:04:00 2016
    just because i said nobody cares about real name in fidonet that doesnt mean there's any hate involved.

The last few messages that you have been posting prove that.

• From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Phil Taylor on Sat Oct 29 13:33:58 2016
    By: Phil Taylor to Mro on Fri Oct 28 2016 08:01 pm

I do not realy care and the poputarity of your bbs does not dictate how the other bbs system run their own systems. You have no point here.

popularity does infact dictate who is is correct when you are running something that is based on judgement and affects whether you obtain users.

no users = bad judgement AKA wrong.
    i have also done that and i wasnt the first guy to do it. besides,

this isnt fidonet so fuck off.

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Phil Taylor on Sat Oct 29 13:34:18 2016
    By: Phil Taylor to Mro on Fri Oct 28 2016 08:04 pm

just because i said nobody cares about real name in fidonet that
    doesnt mean there's any hate involved.

The last few messages that you have been posting prove that.

go crawl back under your rock too

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Tiny on Sat Oct 29 11:35:39 2016

BBSes came before the commercial world-wide web and consumer exposure to the web, but not the internet as a network infrastructure. Can we all just agree to agree?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Phil Taylor@VERT/MB to Mro on Sat Oct 29 16:02:00 2016
    i have also done that and i wasnt the first guy to do it. besides who the fuck cares? it's fidonet. there's 5 people using it.

Hey little child keep it up the entire world see how you acting like a little twit.

• From Phil Taylor@VERT/MB to Mro on Sat Oct 29 16:03:00 2016

I do not talk you childest lanuage little twit.

• From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Oct 29 15:00:07 2016
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Tiny on Sat Oct 29 2016 07:35 am

BBSes came before the commercial world-wide web and consumer exposure to
    the web, but not the internet as a network infrastructure. Can we all just agree to agree?

the web is not the internet. it's just one of many layers.

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Phil Taylor on Sat Oct 29 16:06:33 2016
    By: Phil Taylor to Mro on Sat Oct 29 2016 12:02 pm

i have also done that and i wasnt the first guy to do it. besides who the fuck cares? it's fidonet. there's 5 people using it.

Hey little child keep it up the entire world see how you acting like a little twit.

FUCK OFFFFF

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Phil Taylor on Sat Oct 29 16:06:46 2016
    By: Phil Taylor to Mro on Sat Oct 29 2016 12:03 pm

FUCK OFFFFF

---
  • From Phil Taylor@VERT/MB to Mro on Sat Oct 29 19:07:00 2016
    I do not talk to idiots like you.

• From Knightmare@VERT/P99BBS to Mro on Sat Oct 29 20:53:32 2016
    By: Mro to Steven Sheeley on Fri Oct 28 2016 12:31 pm

By: Steven Sheeley to Mro on Fri Oct 28 2016 08:27 am

What a wonderfully composed, well articulated, response Mro. I'm so glad
    I
    got to read your words so early in the morning, thank the universe I had my first cup of coffee. :)

a third reply from the nobody. i am so lucky.

who are you, again?

Not for nothing, but can you two lovebirds take this to a private conversation?

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Knightmare on Sun Oct 30 00:06:55 2016

totally agree with you.

Was about to say the same thing, or at least not where it's usually announcement.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ MtlGeek - Geeks in Montreal - http://mtlgeek.com/ -
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Phil Taylor on Sun Oct 30 00:13:41 2016
    By: Phil Taylor to Mro on Sat Oct 29 2016 03:07 pm

i thought you were above childish namecalling

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Knightmare on Sun Oct 30 00:14:12 2016
    By: Knightmare to Mro on Sat Oct 29 2016 04:53 pm

who are you, again?

nope

---
  • From Phil Taylor@VERT/MB to Mro on Sun Oct 30 02:53:00 2016

If you look back at the last messages it will prove that you started it.

• From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Ennev on Sun Oct 30 02:21:23 2016
    By: Ennev to Knightmare on Sat Oct 29 2016 08:06 pm

totally agree with you.

Was about to say the same thing, or at least not where it's usually announcement.

it's advertisements.

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Phil Taylor on Sun Oct 30 02:21:38 2016
    By: Phil Taylor to Mro on Sat Oct 29 2016 10:53 pm

If you look back at the last messages it will prove that you started it.

my dad can beat up your dad.

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to Mro on Sun Nov 20 01:17:11 2016
    On 2016-10-29 07:06 PM, Mro wrote:
    By: Phil Taylor to Mro on Sat Oct 29 2016 12:03 pm

FUCK OFFFFF

---
    � Synchronet � ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Mro. The shit stirrer.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Electronic Warfare BBS | telnet://bbs.ewbbs.net
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Deavmi on Sun Nov 20 01:56:14 2016
    By: Deavmi to Mro on Sat Nov 19 2016 08:17 pm

FUCK OFFFFF

Mro. The shit stirrer.

you dont see what was going on. phil was confused and i was messing with him. because well, phil is always confused.

---
  • From Tim Smith@VERT/KK4QBN to Mro on Sun Nov 20 11:00:07 2016
    By: Mro to Deavmi on Sat Nov 19 2016 08:56 pm

Mro. The shit stirrer.

you dont see what was going on. phil was confused and i was messing with him. because well, phil is always confused.

And you... always a shit stirrer... cannot help it can you... I could probably actually get along with you pretty good if you wasnt a douche..
    --

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ KK4QBN BBS - (706)422-9538 - kk4qbn.synchro.net, Chatsworth GA
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Tim Smith on Sun Nov 20 14:00:39 2016
    By: Tim Smith to Mro on Sun Nov 20 2016 06:00 am

And you... always a shit stirrer... cannot help it can you... I could probably actually get along with you pretty good if you wasnt a douche..

get over the butthurt.

---