• USAG Eric Holder: draconian mandatory minimum sentences, etc

From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Dreamer on Wed Aug 14 06:05:01 2013
    Re: Re: CNN Breaking News
    By: Dreamer to CNN Breaking News on Tue Aug 13 2013 15:52:00

Saying the U.S. prison population is "outsized and unnecessarily large," U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder today said he has ordered changes in Justice Department polices so that some low-level, nonviolent drug offenders with no ties to gangs or drug cartels won't be charged with crimes that impose "draconian mandatory minimum sentences." In a speech at the annual meeting of the American Bar Association's House of Delegates in San Francisco, Holder said the United States can't prosecute or incarcerate its way to becoming a safer nation. He urged that incarceration be used to "punish, deter, and rehabilitate -- not merely to warehouse and forget." Get complete

Let's hope this type of thing becomes more common (common sense).

That is, indeed, some absolutely wonderful information. The drug
    laws that punish, harshly, citizens who merely pollute their own bodies
    are absolutely ridiculous. Common sense, as you said. I can understand, after my experiences with some of the people on drugs such as
    methamphetamine, perhaps going with some heavier charges than users of
    drugs such as marijuana or mushrooms, though. My recent 'emergency relocation' was thanks to a woman whom I had known for over three months,
    and hung out with on a daily basis, almost certainly using those drugs at
    work one day. When she returned, she was a person completely unlike the
    one that I had known prior to that point. Having medical training, I can testify to the fact that her BP & pulse were spiked. Her arteries were clearly distending the skin around them, and her face was flushed.
    I'd seen that woman, to that point, on huge amounts of marijuana
    and extremely potent opiates (Suboxone and some other drug mixed in
    sublingual sheets-- which she would sometimes eat 3 of in a day). When
    she would hit the worst of her times, after she ate too many of the
    Suboxone to keep herself supplied in opiates throughout the month, she
    would be unable to move around the house or do anything. Her fibromyalgia would flare up, along with the fact that opiate withdrawal magnifies pain massively, and she would be miserable. She would not, however, experience random bouts of rage.
    When she was on the meth that she took that day, she physically attacked me. She was screaming quite delusional versions of the history
    of the past several months. She suddenly became heavily racist,
    targetting my seven year old son (who is half tribal Kenyan), screaming
    racist slander at him. She punched me in the face. She did this despite
    the fact that we were camping and I had several loaded guns around the
    site, along with my Army training in how to use them and how to properly subdue people engaging in this kind of behavior. It was not a pleasant situation.
    In my youth, I saw methamphetamines take a lot of friends of mine
    that had been absolutely wonderful, and the majority of them fairly
    selfless, people, chew them up, destroy their health, and make them steal
    to feed their habits. They'd narc on each other to get out of the legal trouble they inevitably brought upon themselves, they got violent, and
    they turned into worthless pieces of shite. Only meth, and other
    stimulants, have I ever seen chew up and destroy people so badly. It
    killed a couple of people I know, as well. I guess we've all heard about crackheads, though.
    Unless the person is someone that's used this, or perhaps a disassociative such as PCP that occasionally makes one cut off his or her genitalia with a credit card and start torturing and murdering people, I believe they should be given an infraction, and perhaps a referral not to
    this cold-turkey treatment that's proven 99% of the time to not work (but we're so fond of it in this country, as opposed to the methods that other countries, such as Amsterdam, have put in place-- interestingly enough, science says, by way of their results, that THOSE treatments actually
    WORK), if it's a drug that causes physical dependence. Otherwise, it
    seems to me that the Justice Department is stepping in and quashing a
    person's right to pursue happiness as they see fit, whether for right or
    for wrong. It's certainly not a crime that has a victim (other than those caused by the prohibition itself).
    Just my thoughts on the matter. :)

-The opinions expressed are not necessarily an advocation of any of the aforementioned ideologies, concepts, or actions. We still have the freedom of speech, for now, and I enjoy using it in a satirical or ficticious manner to amuse myself-

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a
    revolutionary act." -- George Orwell

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron : telnet bismaninfo.hopto.org 8023 : http:8080
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Ronald Reid on Wed Aug 14 06:08:03 2013
    By: Ronald Reid to Dreamer on Tue Aug 13 2013 15:21:20

Amen brother. I got caught with a gram of pot back in high school and the w I was treated, I might as well have been slingin that rock.

It's absolutely effin' ridiculous. In the state I reside in,
    anything over a couple of grams is a felony, too. The very fact that
    they're able to get away with charging someone like that for a victimless crime is absurd. It's my belief that the only reason that they've been so gung-ho about such practices for so long is because the private,
    for-profit prison industry in this company lobbies for it, and judges and
    DAs actually get kickbacks a lot of times for the people they lock up for
    that crap.
    God bless the USA.

-The opinions expressed are not necessarily an advocation of any of the aforementioned ideologies, concepts, or actions. We still have the freedom of speech, for now, and I enjoy using it in a satirical or ficticious manner to amuse myself-

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron : telnet bismaninfo.hopto.org 8023 : http:8080
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Owl on Wed Aug 14 06:14:39 2013
    By: Owl to Dreamer on Tue Aug 13 2013 21:44:00

For the last 5 years Holder has been the Poster Child for locking up Cannabi users...now he's acting like a reformer...what took him so long to figure th out...weed has only been around THOUSANDS of years, and he's just waking up? What an A-hole.

I'll put my money on some of these sudden changes being made
    simply to try to paint the USA in a less draconian light than we've been proven to be following (at the level of the federal government, at the
    very least). We've been getting bashed by other countries, and our own citizens have been bitching for reform on these policies since Reagan, at
    the very least. I remember the debate on that crap on TV when I was a
    kid.
    With Manning and Snowden, and hopefully a few more integrity
    bearing individuals with the selflessness to put their own lives on the
    line to keep the public truly informed about what is happening behind
    closed doors in our government, the whole world is seeing through the lies that so many of us have suspected smelled fishy now. Hell, I heard
    someone say that we've lost ~10% of overseas business contracts [I'm
    guessing it's in a specific sector and was over generalized, but I'm not
    sure, I haven't gotten around to verifying it] because of the NSA's own information being released regarding the fact that they record every
    single electronic conversation that takes place within the border here,
    after lying for a long time about only collecting meta-data. Not to
    mention the fact that the NSA is still quite brazenly going about its
    LEGAL mission to wiretap everything it can get its slimy appendages onto outside of our borders. Funny how that last bit hasn't made it into the
    media in this country, isn't it?
    Anyway, yeah. It's damage control about our worldwide public
    image right now, I think. This, and drone strikes, and WWIII, I don't
    know where to draw the line on what we've done that's pissing the world
    off... So I'll shut the hell up right here. :)
    I agree. A-hole incarnate, at the very least.

---
  • From Owl@VERT/NIGHT to Khelair on Sat Aug 17 02:08:00 2013
    Re: Holder's sudden change in
    By: Khelair to Owl on Wed Aug 14 2013 02:14 am

By: Owl to Dreamer on Tue Aug 13 2013 21:44:00

For the last 5 years Holder has been the Poster Child for locking up Cann users...now he's acting like a reformer...what took him so long to figure out...weed has only been around THOUSANDS of years, and he's just waking What an A-hole.

I'll put my money on some of these sudden changes being made
    simply to try to paint the USA in a less draconian light than we've been proven to be following (at the level of the federal government, at the
    very least). We've been getting bashed by other countries, and our own citizens have been bitching for reform on these policies since Reagan, at the very least. I remember the debate on that crap on TV when I was a
    kid.
    With Manning and Snowden, and hopefully a few more integrity
    bearing individuals with the selflessness to put their own lives on the
    line to keep the public truly informed about what is happening behind
    closed doors in our government, the whole world is seeing through the lies that so many of us have suspected smelled fishy now. Hell, I heard
    someone say that we've lost ~10% of overseas business contracts [I'm guessing it's in a specific sector and was over generalized, but I'm not sure, I haven't gotten around to verifying it] because of the NSA's own information being released regarding the fact that they record every
    single electronic conversation that takes place within the border here, after lying for a long time about only collecting meta-data. Not to
    mention the fact that the NSA is still quite brazenly going about its
    LEGAL mission to wiretap everything it can get its slimy appendages onto outside of our borders. Funny how that last bit hasn't made it into the media in this country, isn't it?
    Anyway, yeah. It's damage control about our worldwide public
    image right now, I think. This, and drone strikes, and WWIII, I don't
    know where to draw the line on what we've done that's pissing the world off... So I'll shut the hell up right here. :)
    I agree. A-hole incarnate, at the very least.

-The opinions expressed are not necessarily an advocation of any of the aforementioned ideologies, concepts, or actions. We still have the freedom speech, for now, and I enjoy using it in a satirical or ficticious manner to amuse myself-

Amen...you are so correct. Hemp can replace cotton, nylon, mercury laden fish oil (it has omega 3), paper from trees, petroleum/ethanol (its a fuel), 100s of drugs, rope, and so on hundreds of products. Hemp requires no chemicals to grow, and 2 to 3 crops can be harvsted a year (its a weed). Its environmentally safe, and oh yeah no one has EVER died from weed. Sounds like a gift from GOD to me....so what does our f*cked up world do? It makes it illegal! WTF? People are actually incarcerated for the safest plant on the planet? I live in California where it is somewhat legal for medicine....but hey if someone wants to get high for fun...so what! Doesn't our government have something better to do, like go bomb a 3rd world country or something?

...and if I hear 1 more ahole start with the reefer madness cr*p.

Night Owl BBS - Night.synchro.net

dM
    MMr
    4MMML .
    MMMMM. xf
    . "M6MMM .MM-
    Mh.. +MM5MMM .MMMM
    .MMM. .MMMMML. MMMMMh
    )MMMh. MM5MMM MMMMMMM
    3MMMMx. 'MMM3MMf xnMMMMMM"
    '*MMMMM MMMMMM. nMMMMMMP"
    *MMMMMx "MMM5M\ .MMMMMMM=
    *MMMMMh "MMMMM" JMMMMMMP
    MMMMMM GMMMM. dMMMMMM .
    MMMMMM "MMMM .MMMMM( .nnMP"
    .. *MMMMx MMM" dMMMM" .nnMMMMM*
    "MMn... 'MMMMr 'MM MMM" .nMMMMMMM*"
    "4MMMMnn.. *MMM MM MMP" .dMMMMMMM""
    ^MMMMMMMMx. *ML "M .M* .MMMMMM**"
    *PMMMMMMhn. *x > M .MMMM**""
    ""**MMMMhx/.h/ .=*"
    .3P"%....
    nP" "*MMnx

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Night Owl BBS - night.synchro.net
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Owl on Sat Aug 17 16:07:51 2013
    Re: Holder's sudden change in
    By: Owl to Khelair on Fri Aug 16 2013 22:08:00

Amen...you are so correct. Hemp can replace cotton, nylon, mercury laden fi oil (it has omega 3), paper from trees, petroleum/ethanol (its a fuel), 100s drugs, rope, and so on hundreds of products. Hemp requires no chemicals to grow, and 2 to 3 crops can be harvsted a year (its a weed). Its environmentally safe, and oh yeah no one has EVER died from weed. Sounds li a gift from GOD to me....so what does our f*cked up world do? It makes it illegal! WTF? People are actually incarcerated for the safest plant on the planet? I live in California where it is somewhat legal for medicine....but hey if someone wants to get high for fun...so what! Doesn't our government have something better to do, like go bomb a 3rd world country or something?

Yep. It's a damn perfect protein, too; I'm not even sure how many other sources you can find that are perfect proteins. It's got all ~20 that the
    body can't manufacture for itself AND the ideal ratio of Omega IIIs to
    other fats. I can't remember what the multiplier is, but you can harvest it for paper products several times a YEAR compared to deforesting large swaths of the country over and over again.
    It's all about money. Our government should have better things to do, but the people who write the laws have money going in their pockets from the pharmaceutical/medical complex to keep hemp oil out of the hands of patients, from the for-profit prison industry to keep non-violent offenders behind bars, the logging industry to keep ripping up our effing planet, and ugh. It frustrates me to no end, and well past the point of being able to do anything constructive about it.
    I'm trying to learn to let go and embrace the compassion for the poor bastards who grew up in such a twisted environment that they feel they need to ruin other people's lives to feel accomplished and powerful, but it's tough. Hell, my posts on here prove how much of a struggle it is for me. Heh.
    At least you're in CA, bro. Here if you've got anything around a quarter on up it's still a felony, I believe. North Dakotan ignorance and paranoia in da hizzy. :|
    Stay green, bruh!

---