• TV Antenna Question

From MIKE POWELL@VERT/CAPCITY2/CAPCITY to ALL on Sun Nov 27 22:01:00 2011
    I may soon be in the market for a television antenna. In the past, but
    since the US digital change-over, I have used an indoor antenna with pretty good luck. Now I have moved across town and am having trouble. None of
    the stations I am trying to pick up are in my town.

I have a question about the "gain" numbers listed on various indoor and
    outdoor units. If a unit says it has "35 dB gain," can you compare that
    number between indoor and outdoor units? Example: If I see two antennas,
    one indoor and one out, and both claim 35dB, should I expect similar performance between the two, or is 35dB oudoor > 35dB indoor (or vise-versa)?

The indoor unit I have now claims 35-50dB (depending on whether the station
    is VHF or UHF), but most outdoor units seem to claim less. So, I am
    wondering if a lower-rated outdoor unit will help or not.

##MMR 2.61ß.
    ---
    ■ BgNet 1.0ß12 ≈ Capitol City Online * KY/US * 502/875-8938 * cco.ath.cx
  • From Diamond Dave@VERT/DMINE to MIKE POWELL on Mon Nov 28 10:06:14 2011
    Re: TV Antenna Question
    By: MIKE POWELL to ALL on Sun Nov 27 2011 05:01 pm

The indoor unit I have now claims 35-50dB (depending on whether the station is VHF or UHF), but most outdoor units seem to claim less. So, I am wondering if a lower-rated outdoor unit will help or not.

Gain numbers are always aribrary and subjective IMHO.

Outside antennas can be mounted higher and be aimed to have less obstructions. But you also may need to have a pole mounted amplifier (no big deal these days).

Also consider that most stations have moved to UHF and a few are in the VHF high band (Ch 7 to 13). Therefore if ALL the stations are now in UHF in your area, you won't need a VHF antenna at all unless you want distant FM radio stations. Sometimes you can get away with an all UHF antenna if all the stations you want to get are UHF and the high end VHF ones.

What antenna companies are you looking at regarding outdoor antennas? I'd use the distance covered (say 50+ miles) over just raw gain numbers.

(Yeah, I've been in the market for one as well.. can't you tell? LOL)

*** Diamond Dave ***

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net
  • From cogniben77@VERT/TRN to MIKE POWELL on Sun Dec 18 19:33:48 2011
    I may soon be in the market for a television antenna. In the past, but since the US digital change-over, I have used an indoor antenna with pretty good luck. Now I have moved across town and am having trouble. None of
    the stations I am trying to pick up are in my town.

I have a question about the "gain" numbers listed on various indoor and outdoor units. If a unit says it has "35 dB gain," can you compare that number between indoor and outdoor units? Example: If I see two antennas, one indoor and one out, and both claim 35dB, should I expect similar performance between the two, or is 35dB oudoor > 35dB indoor (or vise-versa)?

The indoor unit I have now claims 35-50dB (depending on whether the station is VHF or UHF), but most outdoor units seem to claim less. So, I am wondering if a lower-rated outdoor unit will help or not.

##MMR 2.61á.
    ---
    þ BgNet 1.0á12 ÷ Capitol City Online * KY/US * 502/875-8938 *
    cco.ath.cx

EVER SINCE THE CHANGE OVER TO DIGITAL ANTENNA THAT I TOO STRUGGLED
    TO FIND A WAY TO GET THEM LOCAL STATIONS SO I CAN ENJOY LOCAL TV PROGRAMMING. AFTER MANY YEARS THAT I BEEN ABLE TO FINALLY SETTLE DOWN WITH A SIMPLY INDOOR ANTENNA THAT IS A TERK BRAND NAME. AND I STICK IT OUT THE WINDOW AND I GET ABOUT 11 TO 15 CHANNELS EASY ALL LOCAL. PLUS THEY ARE GREAT PICTURE AND SOUND.. THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS WITH ANTENNAS YOU NEED TO FIND THE RIGHT ONE FOR YOUR AREA. I LIVE IN A AREA WHERE IT IS LIKE A HOTEL THOUGH IT IS
    MORE DIFFERENT THAN THAT. I WAS ON THE SECOND FLOOR AT ONE POINT AND HAD TROUBLE WHERE I GOT ONLY ONE GOOD LOCAL CHANNEL WHICH WAS CBS 2 .. NOW THAT I MOVED BACK UP ON THE THIRD FLOOR THAT I GET CBS, NBC, FOX AND OTHER CHANNELS.
    I CAN UNDERSTAND THE FRUSTRATION THAT COMES WITH DEALING WITH ANTENNAS. THE WAY MINE IS HOOKED UP IS SIMPLY A ANTENNA OUTSIDE THE WINDOW AND TO A BOOSTER TO BOOST THE SIGNAL AND THOUGH I DON'T GET CHANNELS 7 AND 11 I A PRETTY DARN HAPPY. I HOPE YOU WERE ABLE TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM.

CHRIS

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - telnet://roughneckbbs.com - www.roughneckbbs.com