• Rush Clockwork Angels

From Digital Man@VERT to All on Sun Dec 9 05:44:04 2012
    Anyone else buy the album and/or see the tour this year?

I think the album is very good and time will tell if it's as good (to me) as Snakes and Arrows, but still a very good album for Rush, the best band on Earth. :-)

Anyway, saw them on November 19th at the Gibson Amphitheater in LA (California)
    and it was a great show. I really liked the strings section, the new scenes/visuals, and the prominence of Power Windows songs in the selection of older material. I thought it weird they didn't play BU2B (one of my favorites off of C.A.), but they hit many high notes and put on a great show.

No one knows how many more albums or tours the Canadian trio have left in them,
    but I just recently read that they're planning to return to North America to continue the C.A. tour next year (after touring Europe), and I'm pretty sure I'll be there for that one too. Can never have too much Rush...

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #76:
    Rob Swindell still has dozens of BBS-related magazines in his possession. Norco, CA WX: 50.4°F, 95.0% humidity, 0 mph NNE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Captain Obvious@VERT/SHADOW9 to Digital Man on Sun Dec 9 10:09:21 2012
    Wow. Haven't bought any Rush in years but I have been hearing a LOT of good things about the album. They did come through Atlanta as well but I chose to
    go see Iron Maiden instead.

Anyway, how does the album compare to their older stuff?

I think the album is very good and time will tell if it's as good (to me)
    as Snakes and Arrows, but still a very good album for Rush, the best band
    on Earth. :-)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Shadowscope BBS * rmiles.myhomeseer.com
  • From Diamond Dave@VERT/DMINE to Digital Man on Sun Dec 9 17:10:11 2012
    Re: Rush Clockwork Angels
    By: Digital Man to All on Sun Dec 09 2012 12:44 am

I bought the album. Didn't see them this tour because it was the same week as ProgPower USA in Atlanta, GA. Couldn't swing the mega-concert with PP USA and my work load at the time (early September)

I think the album is very good and time will tell if it's as good (to me) as Snakes and Arrows, but still a very good album for Rush, the best band on Earth. :-)

It is the best of the 1996-present era for Rush. Wasn't a huge fan of S&A but this one sounds pretty darn good.

Anyway, saw them on November 19th at the Gibson Amphitheater in LA (Californ and it was a great show. I really liked the strings section, the new scenes/visuals, and the prominence of Power Windows songs in the selection o older material. I thought it weird they didn't play BU2B (one of my favorite off of C.A.), but they hit many high notes and put on a great show.

A friend of mine too pictures of the show and posted them to Facebook. So I know they changed the visuals a lot. I think BU2B is the best song on CA but I can see if they didn't want to play it on tour. Way too many other songs that are much more important! :)

No one knows how many more albums or tours the Canadian trio have left in th but I just recently read that they're planning to return to North America to continue the C.A. tour next year (after touring Europe), and I'm pretty sure I'll be there for that one too. Can never have too much Rush...

Agreed. If they swing anywhere near Washington, DC on the 2nd leg, I'll go see them then. I haven't missed a tour since TFE in 1996.

*** Diamond Dave ***

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Sun Dec 9 17:49:39 2012
    By: Digital Man to All on Sun Dec 09 2012 00:44:04

I haven't, but you just reminded me about it, as I was planning to buy the album. :)

I missed their Time Machine tour last year, which I thought would have been really good to see, as I tend to prefer their older material (mostly their 80s material and up to and including Counterparts). I bought their Time Machine blu-ray concert video though. That was a good concert.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion BBS - digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Diamond Dave on Sun Dec 9 17:51:03 2012
    By: Diamond Dave to Digital Man on Sun Dec 09 2012 12:10:11

It is the best of the 1996-present era for Rush. Wasn't a huge fan of S&A but this one sounds pretty darn good.

I haven't been a huge fan of Rush's 1996-present ara stuff in general, save for a few songs (One Little Victory from Vapor Trails sticks out in my mind).

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion BBS - digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Captain Obvious on Sun Dec 9 17:57:26 2012
    Re: Re: Rush Clockwork Angels
    By: Captain Obvious to Digital Man on Sun Dec 09 2012 05:09 am

Wow. Haven't bought any Rush in years but I have been hearing a LOT of good things about the album. They did come through Atlanta as well but I chose
    to go see Iron Maiden instead.

I was a huge Maiden fan in my teens (second only to Rush), but I just haven't appreciated much of what they've put out since oh say... Seventh Son .

Anyway, how does the album compare to their older stuff?

It's definitely heavy on guitars, it's more of a concept/theme album than they've made in a long time. To me, the only downer on this album is the mix/mastering: it's very dense and (to my ears) overly dynamically compressed.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #45:
    Synchronet External X/Y/ZMODEM protocol driver (SEXYZ) was introduced in 2005. Norco, CA WX: 62.3°F, 66.0% humidity, 4 mph NW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Captain Obvious@VERT/SHADOW9 to Digital Man on Sun Dec 9 21:40:57 2012
    Re: Re: Rush Clockwork Angels
    By: Digital Man to Captain Obvious on Sun Dec 09 2012 12:57 pm

I was a huge Maiden fan in my teens (second only to Rush), but I just haven't appreciated much of what they've put out since oh say... Seventh
    Son .

I was pleasantly susprised at how good the show was they put on. Alice Cooper opened and it was a blast.

It's definitely heavy on guitars, it's more of a concept/theme album than they've made in a long time. To me, the only downer on this album is the mix/mastering: it's very dense and (to my ears) overly dynamically

I'll have to check it out then. Sounds like a good Christmas present to myself.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Shadowscope BBS * rmiles.myhomeseer.com
  • From Jethro@VERT/MSRDBBS to Diamond Dave on Mon Dec 10 19:57:03 2012
    By: Diamond Dave to Digital Man on Sun Dec 09 2012 12:10 pm

Agreed. If they swing anywhere near Washington, DC on the 2nd leg, I'll go s them then. I haven't missed a tour since TFE in 1996.

*** Diamond Dave ***

Wish I could still see Peter Paul and Mary at Wolftrap Farm Park... Sigh...

:(

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ MS & RD BBs - bbs.mozysswamp.org
  • From Al Rowe@VERT/TEK1 to Digital Man on Mon Dec 10 23:26:00 2012

Anyway, saw them on November 19th at the Gibson Amphitheater in LA (California) and it was a great show. I really liked the strings section, the new scenes/visuals, and the prominence of Power Windows songs in the selection of older material. I thought it weird they didn't play BU2B (one of my favorites off of C.A.), but they hit many high notes and put on a great show.

No one knows how many more albums or tours the Canadian trio have left in them, but I just recently read that they're planning to return to North America to continue the C.A. tour next year (after touring Europe), and I'm pretty sure I'll be there for that one too. Can never have too much Rush...

digital man

Good concert. I saw them on this tour in Cleveland, Ohio in late October. I took my 17 year old daughter and it was her first concert. She says it was COOL. Rush has changed so much, and they keep getting better: it is nice to see a bands music evolve throughout the years. I first saw them in '80 or '81 during the Permanent Waves tour and then ignored them through the '90's as life got busy. I was at the Cleveland concert where they filmed the DVD for the previous tour last year... It is the first time I saw a blimp flying around an arena during a show - Floyed has pigs...

OFN Message Gateway
    Telnet://tek1systems.com http://ohiofreenet.org
    UseNet, FidoNet 1:226/410, DoveNet.
    Cleveland, Ohio

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ OFN Message Gateway - http://ohiofreenet.org telnet//tek1systems.com