• new Dr. Who series changes between season 6 & 7

From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to All on Mon Nov 24 16:01:48 2014
    Can anybody, without giving any major spoilers, tell me what on earth happened between season 6 & 7 of the new Doctor Who that accounts for such a major difference in acting styles? I've been on a helpless binge of watching it for a bit now, and the difference in the style of Matt Smith's version of the doctor in Season 7 has almost got me to a point where I just want to give up on the series. For awhile I almost thought that they had found a different actor who looked almost identical.
    I mean, I know the arcing story line is that the doctor has been travelling alone too long, and now he's got a new companion, but it's like he totally lost his vigor or something. Is there something else going on that he's going to recover that from or do I just have to suffer through this until they get to the post Matt Smith doctor?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron BBS telnet or ssh -p 2222 to tinfoil.synchro.net
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Khelair on Mon Nov 24 17:48:40 2014
    Re: new Dr. Who series changes between season 6 & 7
    By: Khelair to All on Mon Nov 24 2014 11:01 am

Can anybody, without giving any major spoilers, tell me what on earth happened between season 6 & 7 of the new Doctor Who that accounts for
    such a major difference in acting styles?

Matt Smith was 905 or so years old in his season, and Matt Capaldi's character is "over 2000". I'd surmise that 1000 years of traveling as the Doctor would account for the change in character.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Poindexter Fortran on Tue Nov 25 01:04:12 2014
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Khelair on Mon Nov 24 2014 12:48:40

Matt Smith was 905 or so years old in his season, and Matt Capaldi's character is "over 2000". I'd surmise that 1000 years of traveling as the Doctor would account for the change in character.

Oh. I thought that he looked different, but imdb was telling me that he was still Matt Smith. That would explain it. Does the vigor come back at all, or does the series jump the shark at that point?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron BBS telnet or ssh -p 2222 to tinfoil.synchro.net
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Khelair on Tue Nov 25 13:46:00 2014
    Khelair wrote to Poindexter Fortran <=-

Oh. I thought that he looked different, but imdb was telling me that
    he was still Matt Smith. That would explain it. Does the vigor come
    back at all, or does the series jump the shark at that point?

I don't know where it's going from here. I had a hard time getting used to
    Matt Smith, but he grew on me to the point where I feel like he's "the
    Doctor". Peter Capaldi's doctor, and the dynamic with Clara didn't click
    with me, and now they're on hiatus.

--pF

... Only one element of each kind
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.50
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Khelair on Tue Nov 25 16:37:16 2014
    By: Khelair to All on Mon Nov 24 2014 11:01 am

Can anybody, without giving any major spoilers, tell me what on earth happened between season 6 & 7 of the new Doctor Who that accounts for such a major difference in acting styles? I've been on a helpless binge of watching it for a bit now, and the difference in the style of Matt Smith's version of the doctor in Season 7 has almost got me to a point where I just want to give up on the series.

Basically what happened season 7 and season 8 is The Doctor died, he regenerated and now he's a different Doctor.

I love Peter Capalldi, the whole point of the Doctor is that his personality changes with each regeneration. Take a look at The Master for another example, the original Master from pre-9th was a calculating, maniacle, gentleman. The Master who went up against #11 was a childish, calculating, maniacle, prick. Still just as dangerous...

Everyone has their favorite Doctor, I personally love Peter Davison's Doctor, that guy was a Cricket player, and most resembled David Tennant's 10th doctor (eyeglasses, attitude). Most actors bring their own version of the Doctor, if you find some behind the scenes interviews on YouTube #13 talks about spending a few dozen takes making sure he wasn't mimicing #12, or #7. Guy was a super fan before he came into the role.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Shodan's Core - shodan.synchro.net:23 & :2323
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Poindexter Fortran on Wed Nov 26 13:21:26 2014
    Re: Re: new Dr. Who series changes between season 6 & 7
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Khelair on Tue Nov 25 2014 08:46 am

I don't know where it's going from here. I had a hard time getting used to Matt Smith, but he grew on me to the point where I feel like he's "the Doctor". Peter Capaldi's doctor, and the dynamic with Clara didn't click with me, and now they're on hiatus.

Christmas episode is around the corner, but then yeah, break time. I wish the BBC woulds just fund a 24 episode season and get it over with. Last episode with you know who was so sad.

---
  • From Jonathan A Lloyd@VERT/TEQUILAM to Android8675 on Wed Nov 26 20:40:25 2014
    By: Android8675 to Poindexter Fortran on Wed Nov 26 2014 08:21:26

I don't know where it's going from here.
    That's the magic of it though. :-)

Christmas episode is around the corner, but then yeah, break time. I wish th
    e
    BBC woulds just fund a 24 episode season and get it over with. Last episode with you know who was so sad.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I'll admit though, though I didn't much care for the writing in the earlier episodes of the season (Into the Dalek evokes mixed feelings still) that Capaldi has REALLY grown on me. Given that my favorite Classic Doctor is Pertwee, I suppose that shouldn't be too surprising. "Patience is continuous good humor".
    -St. Nikon

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ TequilaMockingbird Online - TELNET: tequilamockingbirdonline.net
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Android8675 on Thu Nov 27 03:14:32 2014
    By: Android8675 to Poindexter Fortran on Wed Nov 26 2014 08:21 am

I don't know where it's going from here. I had a hard time getting
    used to Matt Smith, but he grew on me to the point where I feel like he's "the Doctor". Peter Capaldi's doctor, and the dynamic with Clara didn't click with me, and now they're on hiatus.

Christmas episode is around the corner, but then yeah, break time. I wish the BBC woulds just fund a 24 episode season and get it over with. Last episode with you know who was so sad.

capaldi just started to get his knitch with the character, but i never liked the clara character.

obviously they have some issues with the show in regards to staff and it is effecting the actors and production.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Poindexter Fortran on Thu Nov 27 15:10:08 2014
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Khelair on Tue Nov 25 2014 08:46:00

I don't know where it's going from here. I had a hard time getting used to Matt Smith, but he grew on me to the point where I feel like he's "the Doctor". Peter Capaldi's doctor, and the dynamic with Clara didn't click with me, and now they're on hiatus.

Yeah, Matt Smith was a bit of a change for me, too, but his vigor really grew on me quick. It took me I think 11 episodes of season 7 before I truly found myself starting to be able to tolerate both the mix in better graphical rendering yet cheesier (with more greenscreen) scenery, and the deadly serious doctor with the new dynamic with Clara. It's starting to work for me now, and I find that I was mostly coding with the episodes on in the background for this season, and now that I'm at its climax I'm kind of missing out on key elements of what happened, so I may go back a bit here...
    So what's up isn't there a gray haired um more geezery doctor in the coming up to the present here? I've seen this gray haired gaunt dude with the suit everywhere, but I've tried to stay off of imdb as much as possible in order to avoid accidentally spoiling the series, but I'm curious now...
    Can't believe I overlooked this series for so long. I knew there was a reason it was as cult as Star Trek across the pond.

---
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Android8675 on Thu Nov 27 15:14:24 2014
    By: Android8675 to Khelair on Tue Nov 25 2014 11:37:16

Basically what happened season 7 and season 8 is The Doctor died, he regenerated and now he's a different Doctor.

Well, yeah. :) I can't believe that they skipped over that little detail, though.

I love Peter Capalldi, the whole point of the Doctor is that his personality changes with each regeneration. Take a look at The Master for another example, the original Master from pre-9th was a calculating, maniacle, gentleman. The Master who went up against #11 was a childish, calculating, maniacle, prick. Still just as dangerous...

That's very true. Didn't really think about it. I think in a lot of ways some of the previous incarnations of the doctor between Rose, Martha, and Pond's accompaniment were quite similar, and this tangent was very different in the aspects of enthusiasm that I'd grown quite comfortable with.

Everyone has their favorite Doctor, I personally love Peter Davison's Doctor, that guy was a Cricket player, and most resembled David Tennant's 10th doctor (eyeglasses, attitude). Most actors bring their own version of the Doctor, if you find some behind the scenes interviews on YouTube #13 talks about spending a few dozen takes making sure he wasn't mimicing #12, or #7. Guy was a super fan before he came into the role.

I'll have to check that out. I started watching a bit of behind the scenes footage and interviews with Matt Stone either before or just after season 6, but got tired of hearing about how 'quintessentially british' it was from Pond's actor and decided to jump into the next episodes. ;) My impatience always seems to bite me in the ass a bit somehow. :)

---
  • From Android8675@VERT/ISIS to Poindexter Fortran on Wed Nov 26 16:59:00 2014
    I don't know where it's going from here. I had a hard time gettingused to Matt Smith, but he grew on me to the point where I feel like he's "the Doctor". Peter Capaldi's doctor, and the dynamic with Clara didn't click with me, and now they're on hiatus.

Christmas episode is around the corner, but then yeah, break time. I wish the BBC woulds just fund a 24 episode season and get it over with. Last episode with you know who was so sa
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Khelair on Fri Dec 19 16:36:24 2014

I love Peter Capalldi, the whole point of the Doctor is that his personality changes with each regeneration. Take a look at The Master
    for another example, the original Master from pre-9th was a
    calculating, maniacle, gentleman. The Master who went up against #11
    was a childish, calculating, maniacle, prick. Still just as
    dangerous...

Maybe the sound of drums finally made him crack (John Simm incarnation). The current version of the "mistress" seem more in line with previous
    incarnations.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ MtlGeek - Geeks in Montreal - part of www.ennev.com/bbs -
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Ennev on Fri Dec 19 22:07:22 2014
    By: Ennev to Khelair on Fri Dec 19 2014 11:36:24

Maybe the sound of drums finally made him crack (John Simm incarnation). The current version of the "mistress" seem more in line with previous incarnations.

I didn't like her at first, but after she brought the armies of the CyberMen to bear on him, and gave him the button, I really have to say that I developed a new affection for the Mistress. :) Now I just wish I hadn't caught up with the whole series so fast. I can't find anything else to take breaks watching when I'm coding any more, and it's affecting my productivity negatively. ;)
    Anybody got any good sci-fi series recommendations? I haven't watched TV for years, there's a good chance that some of the non-mainstream ones are ones that I haven't even heard of.
    Best wishes.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron BBS telnet://tinfoil.synchro.net
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Khelair on Sat Dec 20 15:08:04 2014
    What trow me off at fist it the sex change, for a long while before the reveal i thought she was the Rani.

Suggestion, watch the original run of Doctor Who? you'll have a lot of episode to catch up, since the serie was revived in 2005 it not a reboot, so the is back story that can be fun to check there :-D

Have you checked Torchwood? it's a Doctor Who spinoff.

I didn't like her at first, but after she brought the armies of the CyberMen to bear on him, and gave him the button, I really have to say that I developed a new affection for the Mistress. :) Now I just wish I hadn't caught up with the whole series so fast. I can't find anything else to
    take breaks watching when I'm coding any more, and it's affecting my productivity negatively. ;)
    Anybody got any good sci-fi series recommendations? I haven't watched TV for years, there's a good chance that some of the non-mainstream ones are ones that I haven't even heard of.
    Best wishes.

---
  • From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to Ennev on Sat Dec 20 17:13:00 2014
    On 12/20/14, Ennev said the following...

What trow me off at fist it the sex change, for a long while before the reveal i thought she was the Rani.
    Suggestion, watch the original run of Doctor Who? you'll have a lot of episode to catch up, since the serie was revived in 2005 it not a
    reboot, so the is back story that can be fun to check there :-D

Yes, the recent series is certainly a revival of the original. Notice how in the first episode, the aliens were the nestine, the same monsters that Jon Pertwee encountered on his first episodes.

I've seen most of the first season. I still need to get all caught up on
    that. But it is most certainly a different show than Doctor Who. The only real connection is with Captain Jack. It's darker. More sinister, and more than a little dysfunctional.

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A59 (Linux)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cybe
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Ennev on Sat Dec 20 18:51:25 2014
    By: Ennev to Khelair on Sat Dec 20 2014 10:08:04

Yeah I was wondering what the heck was going on for quite awhile, too.

Suggestion, watch the original run of Doctor Who? you'll have a lot of episode to catch up, since the serie was revived in 2005 it not a reboot, so the is back story that can be fun to check there :-D

That's a good idea. I think I'll do that. I remember trying to watch them as a kid and not being able to, at least at that young, but now that I know the gist of things I think that'd keep my interest pretty well.

I shall check that out, as well. Thank you for your suggestions. :)

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Khelair on Sun Dec 21 04:10:39 2014

Sure that the pace of the show back then are really diferent than today. But
    an adult might apreciate. Episode written by Douglas Adam are something :-)

Make me think that you also might want to check the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy :-) the movie wasn't bad but the tv series is fun.

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Gryphon on Sun Dec 21 15:58:40 2014
    Yes, the recent series is certainly a revival of the original. Notice how in the first episode, the aliens were the nestine, the same monsters that Jon Pertwee encountered on his first episodes.

Yes, was fun to see it that way, but then I remember that I still wasn't sure if it was a reboot or a

I've seen most of the first season. I still need to get all caught up on that. But it is most certainly a different show than Doctor Who. The only real connection is with Captain Jack. It's darker. More sinister, and
    more than a little dysfunctional.

it get a bit more slightly related to doctor over the second season, when he admit that he's in Cardiff because he's waiting for the right doctor. It's to be noted but not mentioned in the story like but admited in an interview that the piece of coral on capt Jack desk was a piece of Tardis that he was making grow with the rift energy, would have taken a long time, but he had all the time in the world.

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Ennev on Sun Dec 21 16:24:05 2014
    Hey, I found this, Another Tardis might be wheezing around : http://youtu.be/FcqdojFsuNo

Yes, was fun to see it that way, but then I remember that I still wasn't sure if it was a reboot or a

I've seen most of the first season. I still need to get all caught up
    on that. But it is most certainly a different show than Doctor Who. The only real connection is with Captain Jack. It's darker. More sinister, and more than a little dysfunctional.

it get a bit more slightly related to doctor over the second season, when
    he admit that he's in Cardiff because he's waiting for the right doctor. It's to be noted but not mentioned in the story like but admited in an interview that the piece of coral on capt Jack desk was a piece of Tardis that he was making grow with the rift energy, would have taken a long time, but he had all the time in the world.

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Ennev on Sun Dec 21 16:28:13 2014
    By: Ennev to Khelair on Sat Dec 20 2014 11:10 pm

Make me think that you also might want to check the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy :-) the movie wasn't bad but the tv series is fun.

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy BBS radio series is great, same cast as the TV Series, and follows along almost identically (at first)

I just put it up on the realitycheckRADIO stream:

http://radio.realitycheckbbs.org

Cheers,

--pF

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Poindexter Fortran on Sun Dec 21 22:09:25 2014
    i was fearing telling about the radio version. The radio version is actually the orignal original, it predate the tv series and the book.

I'll check your radio stream, offering other show ?

i used to maintain a podcast http://feeds.feedburner.com/ennev.xml maybe I'll put more episode up in the coming week :-D

By: Ennev to Khelair on Sat Dec 20 2014 11:10 pm

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy BBS radio series is great, same cast as the TV Series, and follows along almost identically (at first)

Cheers,

--pF

---

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Ennev on Mon Dec 22 11:57:29 2014
    By: Ennev to Poindexter Fortran on Sun Dec 21 2014 05:09 pm

I'll check your radio stream, offering other show ?

I have the 12 parts to the radio show; they cover the original 3 books, plus some other material that I'm unsure as to where it came from. I'd love to find the latest chapters they did a few years ago.

Normally, the radio stream is a mixture of ambient/techno music I pulled from an old EA alternate reality game called Majestic from 2001, or the soundtracks from Jason Scott's "The BBS Documentary" and "DEFCON".

--pF

---
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Ennev on Tue Dec 23 13:18:12 2014
    By: Ennev to Khelair on Fri Dec 19 2014 11:36 am

I love Peter Capalldi, the whole point of the Doctor is that his
    personality changes with each regeneration. Take a look at The Master
    for another example, the original Master from pre-9th was a
    calculating, maniacle, gentleman. The Master who went up against #11
    was a childish, calculating, maniacle, prick. Still just as
    dangerous...

Maybe the sound of drums finally made him crack (John Simm incarnation). The current version of the "mistress" seem more in line with previous incarnations.

I so agree, I'm hoping to see more of Missy in the near future.

---
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Khelair on Tue Dec 23 13:22:56 2014
    By: Khelair to Ennev on Fri Dec 19 2014 05:07 pm

Babylon 5, BSG2.0, The Prisoner (old BBC Series), SeaQuest DSV.

Mysteries, I'm watching Series 13 of Agatha Christy's Poirot, the only downside to Poirot is you REALLY have to pay attention because the plots are REALLY complicated, but the 5 episodes in Series 13 are AH-MAZE-ING! Of course there's the BBC Sherlock, also really good, and only 3 episodes per season, you can watch the whole thing in 2-3 days.

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Android8675 on Tue Dec 23 15:27:51 2014
    By: Android8675 to Khelair on Tue Dec 23 2014 08:22 am

Mysteries, I'm watching Series 13 of Agatha Christy's Poirot, the only downside to Poirot is you REALLY have to pay attention because the plots are REALLY complicated

My wife loves English mysteries (to the point that Netflix now has a recommendations category called "Quirky English Mysteries".)

I joked that in a recent episode of Inspector Morse, we didn't see a dead body until 23 minutes into the episode. On Castle, CSI/NCIS, you need to see a body before the opening credits!

---
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Poindexter Fortran on Tue Dec 23 13:28:14 2014
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Ennev on Mon Dec 22 2014 06:57 am

Normally, the radio stream is a mixture of ambient/techno music I pulled from an old EA alternate reality game called Majestic from 2001, or the soundtracks from Jason Scott's "The BBS Documentary" and "DEFCON".

Holy shit, I worked on Majestic as a game tester in EA.com's early days. I think some of that music was in house, and some was from Tommy Telarico. I may have to listen sometime.

God I hated that game, but some of the shit they did with web browsers was pretty cool back then.

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Poindexter Fortran on Tue Dec 23 21:29:45 2014
    My wife loves English mysteries (to the point that Netflix now has a recommendations category called "Quirky English Mysteries".)

Campion wasn't bad too, i've seen it on netflix the other day. Use to watch this on PBS Mystery !

For old Doctor Who it's also fun because Peter Davison is in this :-)

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Android8675 on Tue Dec 23 19:52:57 2014
    By: Android8675 to Poindexter Fortran on Tue Dec 23 2014 08:28 am

Holy shit, I worked on Majestic as a game tester in EA.com's early days. I think some of that music was in house

There were a couple of songs on the game CD, and 256 tracks split up between Energy, Happy, Spooky and Wonder streams. They really resonated with me, and I worked while listening to them for years.

They're around 800 megabytes total, I should put them into a torrent.

God I hated that game, but some of the shit they did with web browsers was pretty cool back then.

I loved the mix of in-game content and real world content, and wonder how many real world companies got calls from gamers?

---
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Poindexter Fortran on Wed Dec 24 12:51:32 2014
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Android8675 on Tue Dec 23 2014 10:27 am

I joked that in a recent episode of Inspector Morse, we didn't see a dead body until 23 minutes into the episode. On Castle, CSI/NCIS, you need to see a body before the opening credits!

I enjoy Castle a lot, but the other night I found it funny that the credits run well into the episode. I think they were still showing names at the 20 minute mark. crazy.

---
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Ennev on Sun Jan 18 22:29:58 2015

Yeah, for sure. She really got that promiscuous vibe down well, too. Heh

Yeah, I have gotten ahold of that and started watching it. It's been awhile since I've watched anything from that era, and I'll admit, the Cave of the Skulls (S1E1) was a wee bit painful to watch. I had to watch about 1/8th of it at a time before the theatrical-styled acting of the day made me run in horror. Still, I care enough about the recent series to want to know more... Hopefully it evolves quickly from the first episode, as most serii do, once they realize that they've got an avid fanbase and budget for writers & fx goes up.

Just got ahold of that recently, too. Thank you for the suggestion. Haven't passed the first episode yet, but I'm very much liking the first little bit that I've seen. I'm a big fan of profanity and horror, too, so I like the maturation of the content that they've done. Surprised the hell out of me to see the Captain there, though. Goddamn Face. ;)

---
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Ennev on Sun Jan 18 22:34:38 2015
    By: Ennev to Khelair on Sat Dec 20 2014 23:10:39

Sure that the pace of the show back then are really diferent than today. But an adult might apreciate. Episode written by Douglas Adam are something :-)

Oh wow. Yeah, now you've pretty much ensured that I'll plow through it come hell or high water. I really need to read his other books, too. I've only read THGTTG and I think the other one was The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

I don't think I've seen either one now that you mention it. Thank you very much for keeping me in supply of some adequate diversions. I've been.. suffering.. without them.
    Also, I replied a couple of times to a few things here due to the BBS issues that I had, but they've got very different content, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

---
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Android8675 on Sun Jan 18 22:47:41 2015
    By: Android8675 to Khelair on Tue Dec 23 2014 08:22:56

Mysteries, I'm watching Series 13 of Agatha Christy's Poirot, the only downside to Poirot is you REALLY have to pay attention because the plots are REALLY complicated, but the 5 episodes in Series 13 are AH-MAZE-ING! Of course there's the BBC Sherlock, also really good, and only 3 episodes per season, you can watch the whole thing in 2-3 days.

Awesome. Added to my list. I think I've got enough now to keep myself going for quite awhile. :) More is always better than less, though. Especially given recent emotional fulminating environment, etc etc etc...

:)

---
  • From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to Khelair on Mon Jan 19 15:09:00 2015
    On 01/18/15, Khelair said the following...

What trow me off at fist it the sex change, for a long while before t reveal i thought she was the Rani.

Yeah, for sure. She really got that promiscuous vibe down well, too. Heh

Suggestion, watch the original run of Doctor Who? you'll have a lot o episode to catch up, since the serie was revived in 2005 it not a reb so the is back story that can be fun to check there :-D

Yeah, I have gotten ahold of that and started watching it. It's been awhile since I've watched anything from that era, and I'll admit, the
    Cave of the Skulls (S1E1) was a wee bit painful to watch. I had to
    watch about 1/8th of it at a time before the theatrical-styled acting of the day made me run in horror. Still, I care enough about the recent series to want to know more... Hopefully it evolves quickly from the first episode, as most serii do, once they realize that they've got an avid fanbase and budget for writers & fx goes up.

I agree with you on the acting style of the timeperiod, and how it just makes me cringe. However I've watched a few of the first handful of season, and
    the stories are really pretty fun. My biggest lament is that many of the
    early seasons are lost and there are many gaps. For christmas, I was given a DVD set of the some episodes from the first, second and third seasons, and
    one of the stories had only audio for half the episodes. There was a website called GoldTardis that played many of the first, second and third seasons,
    but that is not up any more :(

Just got ahold of that recently, too. Thank you for the suggestion. Haven't passed the first episode yet, but I'm very much liking the first little bit that I've seen. I'm a big fan of profanity and horror, too,
    so I like the maturation of the content that they've done. Surprised
    the hell out of me to see the Captain there, though. Goddamn Face. ;)

Torchwood is a fun show to watch. It's almost anti-DW tho, in spirit. I'm only into the first few episodes of the 2nd season, and I'm eager to see the rest.

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A59 (Linux)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org | Kingwood, TX
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Khelair on Tue Jan 20 02:07:40 2015

Ah! I miss seaquest. Must check for it, must be available somewhere.
    What year is it set in again. Must be close to present time now :-)

---
    þ Synchronet þ MtlGeek - Geeks in Montreal - part of www.ennev.com/bbs -
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Khelair on Tue Jan 20 02:07:40 2015
    Yeah, I have gotten ahold of that and started watching it. It's been awhile
    since I've watched anything from that era, and I'll admit, the Cave of the Skulls (S1E1) was a wee bit painful to watch. I had to watch about 1/8th of it
    at a time before the theatrical-styled acting of the day made me run in horror.
    Still, I care enough about the recent series to want to know more... Hopefully
    it evolves quickly from the first episode, as most serii do, once they realize
    that they've got an avid fanbase and budget for writers & fx goes up.

You could see it was really a kid show :-) but it does get better in time.

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Ennev on Tue Jan 20 02:09:45 2015
    "Ennev" <ennev@mtlgeek.synchro.net> wrote:

Ah! I miss seaquest. Must check for it, must be available somewhere.
    What year is it set in again. Must be close to present time now :-)

Just checked, the first season is set in 2018 :-)

---
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Gryphon on Tue Jan 20 13:49:06 2015
    By: Gryphon to Khelair on Mon Jan 19 2015 10:09:00

I agree with you on the acting style of the timeperiod, and how it just makes me cringe. However I've watched a few of the first handful of season, and the stories are really pretty fun. My biggest lament is that many of the early seasons are lost and there are many gaps. For christmas, I was given a DVD set of the some episodes from the first, second and third seasons, and one of the stories had only audio for half the episodes. There was a website called GoldTardis that played many of the first, second and third seasons, but that is not up any more :(

Yeah I'm probably going to start watching the next episode today at some point. :) I'll take it in small chunks, until I'm used to that again.
    That really sucks that so many are lost... I'll let you know if the collection that I got ahold of has better continuity.

Torchwood is a fun show to watch. It's almost anti-DW tho, in spirit. I'm only into the first few episodes of the 2nd season, and I'm eager to see the rest.

Yeah, I kind of caught that. :) Still, I haven't even finished the first episode of it so far, so I'm not really up to speed enough on the nuances yet.

---
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Ennev on Tue Jan 20 13:51:03 2015
    By: Ennev to Ennev on Mon Jan 19 2015 21:09:45

Just checked, the first season is set in 2018 :-)

*cackle* Ah, the grand optimism of the past. ;) It'd be really great if we 'intelligent' monkeys could stop killing each other so much and start working on things like that, instead. And, like, not under hideous and thick cloaks of classification and hiding everything from the public. Squandering shit for government superiority over populous and the world geo-political stage in general really kind of makes me sick. :P

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Khelair on Mon Jan 26 01:10:18 2015
    Yet, I felt it was a bit dystrophic, things whereat running smooth in that future, the tech was maybe better the world was divided in bigs blocks.

Now there is no real block and we don't know who we are anymore :-)

*cackle* Ah, the grand optimism of the past. ;) It'd be really great
    if we 'intelligent' monkeys could stop killing each other so much and start working on things like that, instead. And, like, not under hideous and thick cloaks of classification and hiding everything from the public. Squandering shit for government superiority over populous and the world geo-political stage in general really kind of makes me sick. :P

---
  • From Froggyme@VERT/LILLYPAD to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Feb 14 05:26:49 2015
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Ennev on Sun Dec 21 2014 11:28 am

Wow! Will you put it on again anytime soon?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Sent from The Lillypad BBS - lillypad.synchro.net:2323
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Froggyme on Wed Feb 18 13:42:00 2015
    Froggyme wrote to Poindexter Fortran <=-

Wow! Will you put it on again anytime soon?

Done. Just restarted it.

... Powered By Celeron (Tualatin). Engineered for the future.
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.50