• Re: David Bowie passed aw

From Darkages@VERT to metalhead on Fri Jan 29 16:20:24 2016
    I know this is a little old, just catching up.

As a cancer survivor and spending tons of time in the chemo room, I agree how you feel depends on what type of cancer. As for the cancer I had no pain and very few symptoms.

My story:

I flew to Las Vegas and when I got up the next day I had a grapefruit size knot on my neck shoulder area. I told my wife it was cancer, not sure why I knew. I guess something that big coming up over night.

Went to doctor and they sent me for a needle biopsy which turned into the removal of a lymph node, then I got the call. Lymph node cancer, which I had always heard if you get cancer of the lymph node you were terminal. When I was "staged" I did learn I had other symptoms I didn't notice, i.e night sweats etc...

What I learned was I had Hodgkin's Disease which is curable, people who get other types of cancer and it spreads to the lymph nodes are the ones in big trouble.

Now for feeling tired, I did, but it was a result of the chemo and radiation not the cancer. As for pain, I had extreme pain, again not due to the cancer but because of the treatment. The treatment also caused thrush, numbing of the fingertips and toes, the radiation fried my thyroid, but after treatment and recovery from the treatment I was "in remission" and have been since 3/21/2000.

At the time I was the youngest person in the chemo room (36 years old). People do suffer pain, sometimes from the ailment, sometimes from the treatment, but typically there are enough drugs to make the pain bearable. The bigger issue is emotional and once you accept your possible fate and realize parts are out of your control you can deal with it better.

My wife would tell you that the caretakers suffer more than the person with the ailment. I'll take her word for it :-)

Hope that helps,
    Randy

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ DarkAges BBS | darkagesbbs.com | Wayne, OK
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From metalhead@VERT/CYBERIA to Darkages on Sat Jan 30 18:53:00 2016
    My wife would tell you that the caretakers suffer more than the person with the ailment. I'll take her word for it :-)

That sounds possible!

I'm happy for you, for overcoming such a potentially dangerous disease.

--- Mystic BBS v1.11 (Raspberry Pi)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org | Kingwood, TX
  • From Darkages@VERT to metalhead on Mon Feb 1 02:45:03 2016
    Thanks MetalHead

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ DarkAges BBS | darkagesbbs.com | 1:19/25 | Wayne, OK
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net