• Discovery

From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to All on Thu Jan 18 18:14:29 2018
    Now that we are past the mid season, any impression?

Myself, iÆm not sure what to think of it :-/

Still donÆt see how to reconcile that spore drive with the rest.

Weird

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ MtlGeek - Geeks in Montreal - http://mtlgeek.com/ -
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Ennev on Thu Jan 18 16:13:17 2018
    Re: Discovery
    By: Ennev to All on Thu Jan 18 2018 01:14 pm

I haven't watched any of the episodes since "Into the forest I go" last year, but I was wondering the same thing about the spore drive, since we never heard about that in any of the other Star Trek series. Also the Klingons look different.. This doesn't really feel like Star Trek. I'm actually looking forward to the next season of The Orville..

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Outatime@VERT/BTTFBBS to ALL on Thu Jan 18 21:19:00 2018

There are a lot of things that don't fit well with what we have seen before in Star Trek. I feel like you have to ignore that or you'll be a curmudgeon about it (and for sure, there are many curmudgeons posting their opinions about this on social media). The spore drive is in some ways the equivalent of Q. It's this magical entity that causes interesting things to happen to the crew but otherwise is basically nonsense. Maybe we'll find out more later that will help this concept to fit. But even if not, it's a pretty interesting show and I have been enjoying it weekly.
    ---
    * QWK2WWIV * Back to the Future (bttfbbs.com)
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Nightfox on Fri Jan 19 12:21:46 2018
    I haven't watched any of the episodes since "Into the forest I go" last year, but I was wondering the same thing about the spore drive, since we never heard about that in any of the other Star Trek series. Also the Klingons look different.. This doesn't really feel like Star Trek. I'm actually looking forward to the next season of The Orville..

I don't know why media company need to attach creation to a "franchise", This serie could have been something new without the need to drag the "Star Trek(tm)" logo to it. In a way that's what Orville is, it's clearly inspired
    by Star Trek but it's not, so in a way it enable the writers to explore stuff that wouldn't fit if the Star Trek back story. That's what Discovery is suffering from, they clearly want to introduce new concepts but it's hard to juggle when you have all that back story and future to fit into.

Wish producers where more adventurous and allow themselves flops. Maybe
    produce 4 different with a more decent budget rather then put all the chips into 1 mega budget production that will be the sequel of something because
    it's safe.

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Outatime on Fri Jan 19 12:27:19 2018
    There are a lot of things that don't fit well with what we have seen before in Star Trek. I feel like you have to ignore that or you'll be a curmudgeon about it (and for sure, there are many curmudgeons posting their opinions about this on social media). The spore drive is in some ways the equivalent of Q. It's this magical entity that causes interesting things to happen to the crew but otherwise is basically nonsense. Maybe we'll find out more later that will help this concept to fit. But even if not, it's a pretty interesting show and I have been enjoying it weekly.

Like I said I don't hate it and will watch it.

But i would be more comfortable if the story would be like set in 2389 after the TNG-DS9-Voyager timeline for example, the antagonist could be Romulans or Klingon still, but we woudln't be dealing with "how will they fit that in the story line" and give the writers a clean slate to what they want to do with
    the future.

But all this is entertaining and give us stuff to talk about :-)

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Ennev on Fri Jan 19 14:37:41 2018
    Re: Re: Discovery
    By: Ennev to Nightfox on Fri Jan 19 2018 07:21 am

Wish producers where more adventurous and allow themselves flops. Maybe produce 4 different with a more decent budget rather then put all the chips into 1 mega budget production that will be the sequel of something because it's safe.

THIS.

It's about making money, not about making creative, entertaining television. Unless it makes money. :)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Ennev on Fri Jan 19 14:42:52 2018
    By: Ennev to Outatime on Fri Jan 19 2018 07:27 am

But i would be more comfortable if the story would be like set in 2389 after the TNG-DS9-Voyager timeline for example, the antagonist could be Romulans or Klingon still, but we woudln't be dealing with "how will they fit that in the story line" and give the writers a clean slate to what they want to do with the future.

Have you heard the rumors about a Tarantino Star Trek film, and some conjectural posters showing closeups of the crew's faces:

https://imgur.com/gallery/kQpd4

I'd love to see Admiral Picard, an older Riker with his own command (We'll finally get to see the USS Titan...)

How about a storyline whereWorf died on an away mission with Riker, Riker living with the guilt, and Troi grieving? Might be a bit too Crusher-esque...

I want to see Nog make an appearance somehow.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Ennev on Fri Jan 19 14:33:45 2018
    By: Ennev to Nightfox on Fri Jan 19 2018 07:21 am

I don't know why media company need to attach creation to a "franchise", This serie could have been something new without the need to drag the "Star Trek(tm)" logo to it. In a way that's what Orville is, it's clearly inspired by Star Trek but it's not, so in a way it enable the writers to explore stuff that wouldn't fit if the Star Trek back story. That's what Discovery is suffering from, they clearly want to introduce new concepts but it's hard to juggle when you have all that back story and future to fit into.

I don't see anything wrong with a new Star Trek series, but I just don't like all the prequels and remakes they've been doing with it. I wouldn't mind seeing a Star Trek movie/show that takes place in the time between the original series and the Next Generation - It would be interesting to see more of the Enterprise B or C crews. Or something that takes place after TNG/Voyager..

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Jan 19 16:02:47 2018
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Ennev on Fri Jan 19 2018 09:42 am

I'd love to see Admiral Picard, an older Riker with his own command (We'll finally get to see the USS Titan...)

How about a storyline whereWorf died on an away mission with Riker, Riker living with the guilt, and Troi grieving? Might be a bit too Crusher-esque...

I wouldn't mind seeing something involving some of the DS9 and Voyager characters. Kate Mulgrew made a cameo as Admiral Janeway in one of the TNG movies, but other than that, it feels like there's a lot of good material they could work with for more Star Trek that they aren't using.

Nightfox

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Sat Jan 20 15:26:00 2018
    Nightfox wrote to Ennev <=-

I don't see anything wrong with a new Star Trek series, but I just
    don't like all the prequels and remakes they've been doing with it. I wouldn't mind seeing a Star Trek movie/show that takes place in the
    time between the original series and the Next Generation - It would be interesting to see more of the Enterprise B or C crews. Or something
    that takes place after TNG/Voyager..

I'd be up for either of those. Certainly better than trying to do all these prequels and then shoehorning them into an established storyline.

... Die, my dear doctor? That's the last thing I shall do.
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    ■ Synchronet ■ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Sat Jan 20 15:33:00 2018
    Nightfox wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

I wouldn't mind seeing something involving some of the DS9 and Voyager characters. Kate Mulgrew made a cameo as Admiral Janeway in one of the TNG movies, but other than that, it feels like there's a lot of good material they could work with for more Star Trek that they aren't

They could explore the start of routine time travel, for instance, and the establishment of the rules governing that. Goung from TNG, that happened sometime in the 25th or 26th century, which would place the time period a convenient time after Voyager. Other unresolved issues:

Fate of the Borg? How much damage did Voyager (with future Janeway's help) inflict on the Borg? Is there a final showdown looming?

Relations with the Dominion? After the Dominion War, what were relations between the Federation and Dominion like?

Species 8472 - Did Voyager's last encounter with this species at the simulation of Starfleet Academy lead to improved relations and even cooperation down the track?

Also, from something Q said in a Voyager episode, the 25th-26th century timeframe is when humans reach the Delta quadrant using their own technology "Humans aren't supposed to be out here for another hundred years").

When did humans develop intergalactic travel capabilities? (another time period to explore in the Trek universe).

... 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Vk3jed on Fri Jan 19 21:34:42 2018
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Sat Jan 20 2018 10:33 am

They could explore the start of routine time travel, for instance, and the establishment of the rules governing that. Goung from TNG, that happened sometime in the 25th or 26th century, which would place the time period a convenient time after Voyager.

That would be interesting, although I started to think time travel has been used to death in Star Trek. I still think it's interesting though.. Voyager showed there was a sort of temporal police in the future, and it would be interesting to see how that all started.

Other unresolved issues:
    Fate of the Borg? How much damage did Voyager (with future Janeway's help) inflict on the Borg? Is there a final showdown looming?

Relations with the Dominion? After the Dominion War, what were relations between the Federation and Dominion like?

Species 8472 - Did Voyager's last encounter with this species at the simulation of Starfleet Academy lead to improved relations and even cooperation down the track?

Also, from something Q said in a Voyager episode, the 25th-26th century timeframe is when humans reach the Delta quadrant using their own technology "Humans aren't supposed to be out here for another hundred years").

When did humans develop intergalactic travel capabilities? (another time period to explore in the Trek universe).

I've wondered about some of that too. It would be interesting to explore those storylines. And as far as reconciling with other Star Trek series, it may be difficult to incorporate some of the things introduced with 'Enterprise', such as the Temporal Cold War and the Enterprise-J fighting the "sphere builders" in the future.

Nightfox

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Sat Jan 20 23:59:00 2018
    Nightfox wrote to Vk3jed <=-

That would be interesting, although I started to think time travel has been used to death in Star Trek. I still think it's interesting
    though.. Voyager showed there was a sort of temporal police in the future, and it would be interesting to see how that all started.

I think the point where it went from ad-hoc to managed and regulated could be interesting. Could also sow the seeds for the Temporal Cold War as some factions not taking kindly to the idea of having their time travel curtailed by law. A parallel in the real world is the early days of radio communication, where a combination of lack of regulation, as well as broadband equipment (spark gap transmitters and coherers) meant that there was a lot of mutual interference between professional and amateurs. Regulation and technological change has allowed the radio spectrum to be managed much more effectively, with very limited interference, but there's still "pirates", jammers and other miscreants out there flouting the laws, and causing interference, even today.

I've wondered about some of that too. It would be interesting to
    explore those storylines. And as far as reconciling with other Star
    Trek series, it may be difficult to incorporate some of the things introduced with 'Enterprise', such as the Temporal Cold War and the Enterprise-J fighting the "sphere builders" in the future.

The Temporal Cold War could be related to the introduction and maintenance of time travel regulation (see above). And the shere builders war could have been erased by the actions of the Enterprise crew in 2153-4.

... Red-shifted: The only way to travel ...
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Jan 20 15:33:53 2018
    THIS.

It's about making money, not about making creative, entertaining
    television. Unless it makes money. :)

But it's refreshing to see series coming from the left field such as what we see on streaming lately, series that would probably have not made it on networks.

You think it could be a nice example of not putting all the eggs in the same basket.

But i'm sure soon enough netflix, amazon and others will star playing safe.

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Jan 20 15:36:31 2018

Would be cool, i'm afraid it will be either Kelvin universe. Or like some rumours undoing the timeline slit and connecting it back with tie with Star Trek Discovery.

I know that Patrick Stewart what to participate in the movie, but I don't know if he will or in what form.

Wait and see....

---
  • From Captain Kiwi@VERT/BLACKSUN to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Jan 21 18:40:38 2018
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Ennev on Fri Jan 19 2018 09:42:52

They should do a series centering around Garik!

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Black Sun BBS
  • From Outatime@VERT/BTTFBBS to ALL on Mon Jan 22 00:03:00 2018

Elim Garak was a fascinating character. At the end of DS9 he is on the ruined Cardassia, now able to return from his former exile, considering how to rebuild. A series about Garak being this kind of biblical Nehemiah character raising Cardassia out of the ruins would be pretty interesting. A Federation story line featuring Lt. Nog could be the series' B-plot.
    ---
    * QWK2WWIV * Back to the Future (bttfbbs.com)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Captain Kiwi on Sun Jan 21 23:54:38 2018
    By: Captain Kiwi to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Jan 21 2018 01:40 pm

He was one of the most captivating characters in ST. Loved the episode when his implant goes awry and we realize he's been medicating himself out of his misery on DS9, and of course, 'In the Pale Moonlight', the episode when Garak and Sisko engineer the Romulan entrance into the Dominion War.

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Outatime on Mon Jan 22 20:53:00 2018
    Outatime wrote to ALL <=-

Elim Garak was a fascinating character. At the end of DS9 he is on the ruined Cardassia, now able to return from his former exile, considering how to rebuild. A series about Garak being this kind of biblical
    Nehemiah character raising Cardassia out of the ruins would be pretty interesting. A Federation story line featuring Lt. Nog could be the

That sounds like a fascinating series. There would be a lot of stories in the recovery and rebuilding of Cardassia, and Garak would be well positioned to be a central character in a world of intrigue.

... Fotoflagellation - The act of waving a Polaroid so it develops faster.
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jan 22 14:36:29 2018
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Captain Kiwi on Sun Jan 21 2018 06:54 pm

He was one of the most captivating characters in ST. Loved the episode when his implant goes awry and we realize he's been medicating himself out of his misery on DS9, and of course, 'In the Pale Moonlight', the episode when Garak and Sisko engineer the Romulan entrance into the Dominion War.

I recently started re-watching DS9, since my favorite podcast (The Greatest Generation: A Star Trek podcast by two guys who are a little embarassed to have a Star Trek podcast) finished it's TNG run and moved on to DS9. I had forgotten how completely awful the first season or so of DS9 was. The first season of TNG had some cringe-worthy moments (Code of Honor), but at least 1/4 of the episodes in Season 1 of DS9 were just pure stinkers. Fortunately the last 4 seasons or so of DS9 make up for it, as they were probably some of the best episodes of Trek to ever air.

As for Discovery, I'm really digging it. The first episode after the break was by far their best episode, and it should be no surprise it was directed by Jonathan Frakes. The writers/crew for Discovery claim they'll reconcile the changes made in the show to fit in with other Trek canon, so I'm waiting for that to pay off.

DaiTengu

... Make no little plans. They have no Magic to stir Men's blood.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to DaiTengu on Mon Jan 22 14:04:22 2018
    By: DaiTengu to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jan 22 2018 09:36 am

to DS9. I had forgotten how completely awful the first season or so of DS9 was. The first season of TNG had some cringe-worthy moments (Code of

I thought the first 2 seasons of TNG were not that great, but I'm glad it started getting better with season 3.

directed by Jonathan Frakes. The writers/crew for Discovery claim they'll reconcile the changes made in the show to fit in with other Trek canon, so I'm waiting for that to pay off.

I'm hoping they'll reconcile it, because for now I don't think it makes a lot of sense.

Nightfox

---
  • From Hawkeye@VERT/MASHBBS to DaiTengu on Tue Jan 23 03:28:47 2018
    By: DaiTengu to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jan 22 2018 09:36:29

I like them all... all Star Trek Series/Movies have their own things to love and hate but overall I love the whole Star Trek universe. Even TAS was a bit hard to start but I still love it. Discovery... I love it. But this is from a guy who also like DS9 and Enterprise... I said a few day ago to my nephew.... those are bad in the eyes of critics but I get my fun out of it... it's always better than watching GTST (A dutch soap series).... LOL...

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ MASH BBS - mash4077.ddns.net
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Vk3jed on Tue Jan 23 01:45:11 2018
    That sounds like a fascinating series. There would be a lot of stories in the recovery and rebuilding of Cardassia, and Garak would be well
    positioned to be a central character in a world of intrigue.

Hey ! I have a concept ! let's make it in the style of a reality tv show.

we could call it .....

KEEP IT UP WITH THE CARDASSIANS ...

:-D

p.s. sorry, it's a too easy, had to say it.

---
  • From Matthew Munson@VERT/IUTOPIA to ENNEV on Mon Jan 22 14:32:00 2018
    Hey ! I have a concept ! let's make it in the style of a reality tv show.

we could call it .....

I could be like Talking Dead on AMC where Chris Hardwick could also host
    that show.

---
    ■ wcQWK 7.0
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Ennev on Wed Jan 24 04:00:00 2018
    Ennev wrote to Vk3jed <=-

we could call it .....

*groan* :P

... Some men are discovered; others are found out.
  • From Bigbangnet@VERT/MTLGEEK to DOVE-Net.Entertainment on Fri Feb 9 21:44:02 2018
    On 1/18/2018 1:14 PM, Ennev wrote:

Myself, i�m not sure what to think of it :-/

Still don�t see how to reconcile that spore drive with the rest.

Weird
    I wish the new Star Trek show would continue in time from Voyager.
    But no, they had to go back as in a prequel. But this time instead of
    using "time" has a theme like the new Star Trek movies they used an
    alternate universe. Not to complain and bitch and moan or appear cinycal
    but is it that hard to continue a Star Trek using the last time line
    which would be after Voyager comes back to the Alpha Quadrant. Hell they
    could of continued it using another ship and sent it to the Gamma
    quadrant and go real dark on the series which was I believe what people
    wanted from Voyager in the first place.

Personally for discovery its a disapointment. Its still the same ol war between 2 factions (United feds and Klingons...yayyy I didn't see that
    one coming). Besides that security dude which we learned he was klingon, everything else in my opinion seemed boring or very jaded to me.

--
    =============================================================
    Synchronet # MTLGeek (Montreal, Canada) # http://mtlgeek.com/

---
    þ Synchronet þ MtlGeek - Geeks in Montreal - http://mtlgeek.com/ -
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Bigbangnet on Fri Feb 9 19:26:58 2018
    By: Bigbangnet to DOVE-Net.Entertainment on Fri Feb 09 2018 04:44 pm

I wish the new Star Trek show would continue in time from Voyager.

But no, they had to go back as in a prequel. But this time instead of using "time" has a theme like the new Star Trek movies they used an alternate universe. Not to complain and bitch and moan or appear cinycal

Well, to be fair, the Mirror Universe with the Terran empire has also appeared in episodes of the Original Series, Deep Space 9, and Enterprise. And Discovery only had a few episodes taking place in the Mirror Universe. (SPOILER ALERT) Personally I think it's an interesting twist that Captain Gabriel Lorca was from the mirror universe, and the mirror universe might actually explain a few things that seem like inconsistencies with Discovery. For instance, the spore drive was never mentioned in any of the other Star Trek shows or movies.. I've been wondering if the spore drive was developed in the Mirror Universe and Lorca simply wanted to use the spore drive to get back to his own universe.

but is it that hard to continue a Star Trek using the last time line which would be after Voyager comes back to the Alpha Quadrant. Hell they could of continued it using another ship and sent it to the Gamma quadrant and go real dark on the series which was I believe what people wanted from Voyager in the first place.

Yeah, I'd like to see another Star Trek series or some movies that take place after Voyager. Or another thing I'd think would be interesting is something that takes place between the original series and the Next Generation. We never did see the Enterprise B or C much - We only saw those once, and I think it would be interesting to fill out more of the details on the events of those ships and their crews. But of course, something after Voyager/DS9 too.

Personally for discovery its a disapointment. Its still the same ol war between 2 factions (United feds and Klingons...yayyy I didn't see that one coming). Besides that security dude which we learned he was klingon, everything else in my opinion seemed boring or very jaded to me.

Well it sounds like he was actually human and the Klingons used some kind of genetic manipulation to sort of graft a Klingon into him.. In the last episode of Discovery I watched, they said they removed the Klingon from him. Unless I'm not totally understanding that plot line..

Nightfox

---
  • From Hammer@VERT/MUTINY to All on Sat Jan 2 13:18:29 2021
    P.S. sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, I just started reading this board :)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ MutinyBBS.com port 2332
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to Hammer on Sun Jan 3 23:28:48 2021
    Re: Re: Re: Discovery
    By: Hammer to All on Sat Jan 02 2021 08:18:29

No worries. Sometimes that's what it takes to get a board active again.
    -+-

-Dallas Vinson
    Furmens Folly (FIDO 1:123/257) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23
    SSH: furmenservices.net:23222
    Before the Web - telnet: furmenservices.net:23232
    Legends of Yesteryear (FIDO 1:123/256) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23322
    Sound Source ]|[ - telnet: furmenservices.net:2323

Dallas

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Furmen's Folly - furmenservices.net:23