• Romania Puts Toe in the 5 MHz Waters with Scheduled Amateur Radio Testing

From ARRL de WD1CKS@VERT/WLARB to QST on Sat Apr 23 22:03:02 2016
    04/23/2016

Romania has tentatively joined the list of countries making a band at 5 MHz available to Amateur Radio. Romanian telecommunications regulator ANCOM[1] has granted radio amateurs access to 5 MHz on a scheduled testing basis for approximately 1 year. For the time being, the band is just 3 kHz wide - 5363.5 to 5366.5 kHz. Permissible modes are CW, PSK, RTTY, and WSJT, at a maximum EIRP of 15 W. Access is granted only to Romanian hams who register for the testing program. Initial testing in the sliver allocation will take place Thursdays at around 1600 UTC. According to Romania's IARU member society Federatia Romana de Radioamatorism (FRR[2]), the program is aimed as ascertaining whether propagation offer the possibility of carrying out emergency communication in the band.

Belgium recently made a 60 meter band available to radio amateurs. Belgian hams may operate from 5351.5 to 5366.5 kHz (15 kHz) with isotropic radiated power (EIRP) maximum of 15 W on a secondary basis. All modes of transmission are allowed.

Just days after delegates to World Radiocommunication Conference 2015 (WRC-15) reached consensus on a new global 15 kHz-wide allocation at 5 MHz, the Netherlands last December opened a 100 kHz band for Amateur Radio use. Hams there may use 5350-5450 MHz at up to 100 W PEP. Spain now permits access to 5351.5-5366.5 kHz, at least until December 2016. The band replaces six channels authorized previously.

WRC-15 laid the foundation for a global, secondary Amateur Radio allocation of 5351.5 kHz to 5366.5 kHz at up to 15 W effective isotropic radiated power in the US (some Region 2 countries will be permitted up to 25 W EIRP). Article 4.4 of the ITU Radio Regulations[3] ?lets countries authorize frequency assignments that are contrary to the international Table of Allocations, only on a non-interference, non-protected basis.

The new worldwide band won't be available for use in the US until the FCC institutes a rule making proceeding and establishes operating parameters for the band. A set of five dedicated 5 MHz channels remain available to US radio amateurs. Similar channelized regimes are in place in other countries.

Other Countries with 5 MHz Amateur Bands

Other countries have authorized operation on 5 MHz band segments, dating back more than 10 years. Bangladesh allocated 5250-5310 kHz to the amateur service on a secondary basis for propagation experiments in 2005.

Elsewhere, Barbados permits operation on 5250-5400 kHz, Bulgaria allows access to 5250-5450 kHz, and Croatia in 2010 issued special 1 year licenses to operate on 5260-5410 kHz. Cuba in 2014 okayed access to a 15 kHz 60 meter band for domestic communication, 5418-5430 kHz.

In 2012, Denmark granted 5250-5450 kHz to Amateur Radio with up to 1 kW ERP permitted. Greenland is reported to have access to 5250-5450 kHz, an upgrade from an original set of seven channels. Grenada also permits 60 meter operation on 5250-5450 kHz at up to 1 kW PEP, depending upon license class. Hungarian national Amateur Radio society MRASZ has been issuing temporary permits for operation at 5350-5450 kHz. Iceland in 2010 gave radio amateurs in 2010 access to a 150 kHz band, 5260-5410 kHz band, replacing eight channels. Norway in 2009 approved 5260-5410 kHz for Amateur Radio use, replacing eight channels. Contrary to some reports, radio amateurs in Luxembourg have no access to 60 meters at present.

Oman allows temporary permits to operate in the 5319-5349 kHz segment. In Samoa, Atsuo Sakuma, 5W1SA, was granted special permission to operate 5250-5450 kHz. Slovakia granted radio amateurs temporary access to 5258.5-5410 kHz for experimental purposes in 2011. Somalia permits operation at 5060-5450 kHz, reportedly at up to 3 kW. Trinidad & Tobago allows 5250-5450 kHz at a maxim power of 1.5 kW PEP.

All allocations are on a secondary, non-interference basis. Some DXpeditions have experimented with 60 meter operation.

[1] http://www.ancom.org.ro/en
    [2] http://www.hamradio.ro/
    [3] http://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-s/oth/02/02/S02020000244501PDFE.PDF

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS
  • From Mojo@VERT/MOJO to ARRL de WD1CKS on Sun Apr 24 04:19:28 2016
    Re: Romania Puts Toe in the 5 MHz Waters with Scheduled Amateur Radio Test
    By: ARRL de WD1CKS to QST on Sat Apr 23 2016 06:03 pm

My question is do you have to be a Amateur Radio Operator in order to logon and use this bbs?

Mojo

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Mojo's World BBS - mojo.synchro.net
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to Mojo on Sun Apr 24 19:33:43 2016
    Re: Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS
    By: Mojo to ARRL de WD1CKS on Sun Apr 24 2016 12:19 am

My question is do you have to be a Amateur Radio Operator in order to logon and use this bbs?

Nope. But it's kinda a crappy BBS to be honest. It got a lot of love when it first started, but none of they sysops are doing much with it anymore.

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    Mro is an idiot. Please ignore him, we keep hoping he'll go away.
    ■ Synchronet ■ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)
  • From Mojo@VERT/MOJO to Deuce on Mon Apr 25 14:09:49 2016
    By: Deuce to Mojo on Sun Apr 24 2016 03:33 pm

Nope. But it's kinda a crappy BBS to be honest. It got a lot of love when it first started, but none of they sysops are doing much with it anymore.

Well the reason I ask this is everytime I logon I get part way in and then it drops and I loose connection.

I am starting to see that some of the bbs's out there get nothing done to them once there up. And alot of the sysop's don't even check there systems for messages left to them. I have left some messages on a few systems and it has been over a month since I left them and still get no reply. So am at a point where I figure some of them are just dead systems.

Mojo

---
  • From echicken to Deuce on Mon Apr 25 19:21:05 2016

I can't remember what the plan was for this BBS, but as a WLARC member in poor standing I'll try to contribute if there's anything 'useful' I can do.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to Mojo on Mon Apr 25 20:42:15 2016
    By: Mojo to Deuce on Mon Apr 25 2016 10:09 am

I am starting to see that some of the bbs's out there get nothing done to them once there up. And alot of the sysop's don't even check there systems for messages left to them. I have left some messages on a few systems and it has been over a month since I left them and still get no reply. So am at a point where I figure some of them are just dead systems.

The majority of BBSs today are either dead or exist only for the sysop to read networked message bases.

I'm as guity as anyone else of this.

---
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to echicken on Mon Apr 25 20:43:21 2016
    By: echicken to Deuce on Mon Apr 25 2016 03:21 pm

I can't remember what the plan was for this BBS, but as a WLARC member in poor standing I'll try to contribute if there's anything 'useful' I can do.

The plan was basically to do cool stuff... it never really worked out partly because of differences in opinion about updating and partly because every cosysop has their own, more interesting BBS to run.

---
  • From echicken to Deuce on Tue Apr 26 03:21:03 2016
    The plan was basically to do cool stuff... it never really worked out partly because of differences in opinion about updating and partly because every cosysop has their own, more interesting BBS to run.

Yeah, I just don't remember what any of the "cool stuff" ideas were. Maybe there were none. :D

I suppose we can discuss any ideas for the club BBS at the next meeting.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230
  • From Knight@VERT/PHUNC to Deuce on Tue Apr 26 02:23:16 2016
    By: Deuce to Mojo on Mon Apr 25 2016 04:42 pm

The majority of BBSs today are either dead or exist only for the sysop to read networked message bases.

Hehe, yep.

It's kind of a chicken and egg problem too.

No users visiting == less motivation to update/maintain/improve/participate by the sysop and by the few users that exist. And of course, no updates == even less users visiting.

At this point the only way I see BBSes changing is if we adapt to the modernity of interfaces. I suggested this a year or so ago in explicit detail, but got a lot of kickback about it.

The truth is that sysops care more about revitalizing their nostalgia than building communities.

Knight

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Phunc BBS -- Back from the dead! -- telnet to bbs.phunc.com
  • From Knight@VERT/PHUNC to Deuce on Tue Apr 26 02:25:22 2016
    By: Deuce to echicken on Mon Apr 25 2016 04:43 pm

Ahh management by democracy. Kills every good thing, sadly.

Ultimately you need one strong visionaire at the top to enforce his/her vision, but augment it in a healthy way with the input of a voting body.

When everyone whines back and forth instead of collaborating strongly, it always leads to the destruction of the ideals.

Knight

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Phunc BBS -- Back from the dead! -- telnet to bbs.phunc.com
  • From Mojo@VERT/MOJO to Deuce on Tue Apr 26 17:13:00 2016
    By: Deuce to Mojo on Mon Apr 25 2016 04:42 pm

So is this what you use yours for? I do not think I have ever been on your bbs what is the address to your bbs and I will check it out.

Well I guess I am just one who likes to play around with things and see if I can figure them out. I may not be real fancy as some and have all the bells and whistles on mine but I try to have some things anyway.

Mojo

---
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to Mojo on Wed Apr 27 23:43:32 2016
    By: Mojo to Deuce on Tue Apr 26 2016 01:13 pm

So is this what you use yours for? I do not think I have ever been on your bbs what is the address to your bbs and I will check it out.

I have three crappy BBSs...

nix.synchro.net - My main development BBS, mostly exists for me to test stuff. bbsdev.net - The start of a BBS for BBS devlopers, not well developed yet. wd1cks.org - A BBS for the WD1CKS amateur radio club. All members are sysops.

---
  • From Mojo@VERT/MOJO to Deuce on Thu Apr 28 14:11:56 2016
    By: Deuce to Mojo on Wed Apr 27 2016 07:43 pm

I have three crappy BBSs...

nix.synchro.net - My main development BBS, mostly exists for me to test stuff. bbsdev.net - The start of a BBS for BBS devlopers, not well developed yet. wd1cks.org - A BBS for the WD1CKS amateur radio club. All members are sysops.

Thanks for the info I will take a look.

Mojo

---