• Frontdoor

From Mojo@VERT/MOJO to All on Mon May 30 16:55:18 2016
    Does anyone know if there is a version of Frontdoor that will work in windows xp and connect over the internet to work? I know the old DOS version I use to run will not work so I am trying to find something that will work in it's place.

Mojo

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Mojo's World BBS - mojo.synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Mojo on Mon May 30 20:42:45 2016
    Re: Frontdoor
    By: Mojo to All on Mon May 30 2016 12:55:18

Does anyone know if there is a version of Frontdoor that will work in windows xp and connect over the internet to work? I know the old DOS version I use to run will not work so I am trying to find something that will work in it's place.

Do you specifically want a version of FrontDoor? If not, there are other mailers that work over the internet, such as IRex (Internet Rex), Radius, and others.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Mojo@VERT/MOJO to Nightfox on Tue May 31 02:54:32 2016
    By: Nightfox to Mojo on Mon May 30 2016 04:42 pm

Do you specifically want a version of FrontDoor? If not, there are other mailers that work over the internet, such as IRex (Internet Rex), Radius, and others.

Well my question is then if not frontdoor, will any mailer work with TAG bbs software? I have a mail tosser that I used before that I am oging to use again but I am not sure if just any mailer will work for TAG. I guess I should have stated my question better and explained what software I was going to use it with. I am going to use Fmail for the mail tosser to send it over into the echo's in TAG.

Mojo

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Mojo on Tue May 31 13:02:31 2016
    Do you specifically want a version of FrontDoor? If not, there are
    other mailers that work over the internet, such as IRex (Internet
    Rex), Radius, and others.

Well my question is then if not frontdoor, will any mailer work with TAG bbs software? I have a mail tosser that I used before that I am oging to use again but I am not sure if just any mailer will work for TAG. I guess I should have stated my question better and explained what software I was going to use it with. I am going to use Fmail for the mail tosser to send it over into the echo's in TAG.

I think FMail was what I used to use a long time ago with RemoteAccess. If a tosser behaves like a standard tosser, I'd think it should work as expected with
    your BBS software.

Nightfox

---
  • From Mojo@VERT/MOJO to Nightfox on Tue May 31 20:26:47 2016
    By: Nightfox to Mojo on Tue May 31 2016 09:02 am

I think FMail was what I used to use a long time ago with RemoteAccess. If a tosser behaves like a standard tosser, I'd think it should work as expected with
    your BBS software.

So just to make sure I understand you correctly, you are saying that then I should be able to use taurus as my mailer and fmail as my tosser and it should all go into TAG just fine?

Mojo

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Mojo on Tue May 31 20:35:45 2016
    I think FMail was what I used to use a long time ago with
    RemoteAccess. If a tosser behaves like a standard tosser, I'd think
    it should work as expected with
    your BBS software.

So just to make sure I understand you correctly, you are saying that then I should be able to use taurus as my mailer and fmail as my tosser and it should all go into TAG just fine?

I would hope it would work fine. I haven't used that exact software combination before, so perhaps it would be good to hear from someone who has, if there's anyone out there who has. But my thinking is that a mailer is simply something that transfers packets between you and remote systems, and as long as that's accomplished, you should be good to go.

Nightfox

---
  • From Mojo@VERT/MOJO to Nightfox on Wed Jun 1 02:00:38 2016
    By: Nightfox to Mojo on Tue May 31 2016 04:35 pm

I would hope it would work fine. I haven't used that exact software combination before, so perhaps it would be good to hear from someone who has, if there's anyone out there who has. But my thinking is that a mailer is simply something that transfers packets between you and remote systems, and as long as that's accomplished, you should be good to go.

Ok, well this is encouraging news then for me with this. Tell me something do all mailers pull the message packets in all the same way or do some bring them in as one format (FLO) and other bring them in (PKT) if my terminology is correct?

it waas my thinking that they all did it the same but now I am not so sure that thinking is correct.

Thanks
    Mojo

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Wed Jun 1 15:35:00 2016
    Nightfox wrote to Mojo <=-

I think FMail was what I used to use a long time ago with RemoteAccess.
    If a tosser behaves like a standard tosser, I'd think it should work
    as expected with
    your BBS software.

I used Fmail at one stage and Fastecho at another time with RA/Binkleyterm, depending on what I needed from a tosser. I think the change came when I needed JAM support, one of those tossers had it at the time, and the other didn't, as JAM was new back then.

... Hey Dad, are we gonna stop for ice cream? Can we, huh?
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    ■ Synchronet ■ Freeway BBS in Bendigo, Australia.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Wed Jun 1 15:41:00 2016

I would hope it would work fine. I haven't used that exact software combination before, so perhaps it would be good to hear from someone
    who has, if there's anyone out there who has. But my thinking is that
    a mailer is simply something that transfers packets between you and
    remote systems, and as long as that's accomplished, you should be good
    to go.

Starting from the mailer - the mailer and tosser need to speak the same outbound directory "language", usually Binkley Style Outbount (BSO) or Frontdoor/Attach. If both can use the same format, you're fine there. In my case, I've always run BSO here. In the old days, I used Binkleyterm as the mailer, today, it's BinkD on one system and Mystic's inbuilt BinkP support on another. All of these use BSO.

On the other side of the tosser is the BBS. The tosser needs to understand the messagebase format that the BBS uses, and be able to update and scan the messagebase, as well as change other relevant parts of the BBS (some tossers can create new message areas, for instance).

I don't know the exact software either, look in the various documentation to see if the combination will work.

... I may not be perfect, but parts of me are excellent.
  • From Flavio Bessa@VERT/GALADIN to Mojo on Wed Jun 1 03:02:00 2016
    Mojo wrote to Nightfox <=-

your BBS software.

So just to make sure I understand you correctly, you are saying that
    then I should be able to use taurus as my mailer and fmail as my tosser and it should all go into TAG just fine?

Yes, FrontDoor was used in the old times to separate the human users from the
    message exchange events. These days all is done over Irex or Binkp, hence there's no need for FrontDoor anymore.

[]s
    Flavio Bessa

... Got my tie caught in the fax... Suddenly I was in L.A.
    --- MultiMail/Darwin v0.49
    ■ Synchronet ■ BBS.GALADIN.NET - MADE IN BRAZIL
  • From ROBERT WOLFE@VERT/WILDCAT to MOJO on Wed Jun 1 11:33:00 2016
    Does anyone know if there is a version of Frontdoor that will work
    in windows xp and connect over the internet to work? I know the old
    DOS version I use to run will not work so I am trying to find
    something that will work in it's place.

To get it to work the way you want, you will need to use NetSerial and a
    FOSSIL driver. To my knowledge the last version was 2.20 and is DOS
    only.
    ---
    ■ wcGATE 4.2 ≈ DoveNet | Neptune's Lair 2 | Memphis TN | r13.winserver.org
  • From ROBERT WOLFE@VERT/WILDCAT to MOJO on Wed Jun 1 11:34:00 2016
    Well my question is then if not frontdoor, will any mailer work with
    TAG bbs software? I have a mail tosser that I used before that I am
    oging to use again but I am not sure if just any mailer will work
    for TAG. I guess I should have stated my question better and
    explained what software I was going to use it with. I am going to
    use Fmail for the mail tosser to send it over into the echo's in TAG.

The mailer just transports the mail. You need a tosser/scanner that is compatible with the format of message bases you are going to use with
    your specific setup.
    ---
  • From ROBERT WOLFE@VERT/WILDCAT to VK3JED on Wed Jun 1 11:34:00 2016

I think FMail was what I used to use a long time ago with RemoteA
    If a tosser behaves like a standard tosser, I'd think it should
    as expected with
    your BBS software.

I used Fmail at one stage and Fastecho at another time with
    RA/Binkleyterm, depending on what I needed from a tosser. I think
    the change came when I needed JAM support, one of those tossers had
    it at the time, and the other didn't, as JAM was new back then.

FastEcho does JAM and is free now.
    ---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to ROBERT WOLFE on Thu Jun 2 11:47:00 2016
    ROBERT WOLFE wrote to VK3JED <=-

FastEcho does JAM and is free now.

I have a feeling I switched from Fmail to Fastecho for that reason when I upgraded to RA 2.x

... Freedom of the press is limited to those who have one.