• Download Files Over Telnet?

From jagossel@VERT/KK4QBN to All on Tue Feb 21 15:32:52 2017
    Greetings everyone! I have a stupid question for everyone.

I am slightly familiar with Telnet and always thought that it was just meant to be for remoting into a computer or work with text-based programs (like connecting to a BBS :D). I always assumed that it was not possible to download files via Telnet. However, I heard that it was possible to download files from a BBS via Telnet. Is this true? If so, how? What do I need to do to get file downloads working? Keep in mind, I do use ConnectBot on my Android devices, SyncTERM on my PC, and mTCP's Telnet for DOS (for rare momwnts that I use FreeDOS in a VM).

Is Telnet even the proper protocol? I know I can download files from BBSes via FTP or HTTP (if available). What about SSH or RLogin?

Thank you in advanced!

-jag
    Code it, script it, automate it!

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ KK4QBN BBS - (706)422-9538 - kk4qbn.synchro.net, Chatsworth GA US
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to jagossel on Tue Feb 21 18:16:31 2017

Is Telnet even the proper protocol? I know I can download files from BBSes via FTP or HTTP (if available). What about SSH or RLogin?

usually in a terminal session someone would use a file transfert protocol like zmodem. X or Y or kermit.

The same thing would apply with SSH or RLOGIN with SSH would could initiate a reverse proxy and do ftp etc, but that's another story.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ MtlGeek - Geeks in Montreal - http://mtlgeek.com/ -
  • From Digital Man@VERT to jagossel on Tue Feb 21 23:00:57 2017
    Re: Download Files Over Telnet?
    By: jagossel to All on Tue Feb 21 2017 10:32 am

Greetings everyone! I have a stupid question for everyone.

I am slightly familiar with Telnet and always thought that it was just meant to be for remoting into a computer or work with text-based programs (like connecting to a BBS :D). I always assumed that it was not possible to download files via Telnet. However, I heard that it was possible to download files from a BBS via Telnet. Is this true?

Yes, you can download (or upload) files via Telnet.

If so, how?

By using a Telnet client that supports the same file transfer protocols (e.g. ZMODEM) as the server (e.g. BBS) to which you are connected.

Here's a list: http://wiki.synchro.net/resource:term

What do I need to do to get file downloads working?

If your Telnet client supports ZMODEM, all you should have to do is start the transfer (send from the server to you, a.k.a. download) and use ZMODEM as the file transfer protocol. The rest is normally all automatic.

Keep in mind, I do use ConnectBot on my
    Android devices, SyncTERM on my PC, and mTCP's Telnet for DOS (for rare momwnts that I use FreeDOS in a VM).

SyncTERM supports ZMODEM.

Is Telnet even the proper protocol?

Yes.

I know I can download files from BBSes
    via FTP or HTTP (if available). What about SSH or RLogin?

Yes, ZMODEM (for example) works over SSH and RLogin too.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #11:
    DCD = Data Carrier Detect
    Norco, CA WX: 62.5°F, 62.0% humidity, 4 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From jagossel@VERT/KK4QBN to Ennev on Wed Feb 22 02:29:51 2017
    Re: Re: Download Files Over Telnet?
    By: Ennev to jagossel on Tue Feb 21 2017 01:16 pm

usually in a terminal session someone would use a file transfert protocol li zmodem. X or Y or kermit.

Got it working in SyncTERM. However, I suppose that it will not work with ConnectBot, though. I believe ConnectBot was only intended to remotely connect to computers and use them over command line, not to connect to the BBS.

I had to use ZMODEM in order for it to work in SynchTERM. Now, the fun part is trying to find out where SyncTERM downloaded them to. :)

-jag
    Code it, script it, automate it!

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ KK4QBN BBS - (706)422-9538 - kk4qbn.synchro.net, Chatsworth GA US
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to jagossel on Wed Feb 22 12:53:31 2017
    I had to use ZMODEM in order for it to work in SynchTERM. Now, the fun
    part is trying to find out where SyncTERM downloaded them to. :)

in syncterm if with F2 you check a bbs setting you should see a confing call "Download Path" the files you downloaded should be there.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ MtlGeek - Geeks in Montreal - http://mtlgeek.com/ -