• DoveNet Wednesday Night Fights

From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to All on Fri Mar 7 19:31:43 2014
    Hey all,

Trying to get a group together to play some Vidja games. Wednesday evenings around 6pm PST will be the start time til we get bored.

I particularly like to play co-op shooters like Borderlands, or Diablo II/]I[, but I'm not against taking suggestions for other game types. (Civ3-5, Hearthstone, or whatever)

Started a Steam Group as kind of a gathering point, and I'll try to keep a reoccuring event on Wednesday evening that you can use as a handy alarm.

Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DoveNet

If you've never used Steam before you can make an account for free, lots of good free to play games like Team Fortress 2. Jump on and look for the DoveNet group under Community Groups.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Shodan's Core - shodan.synchro.net:23 & :2323
  • From Mindless Automaton@VERT/ELDRITCH to Android8675 on Sat Mar 8 03:49:33 2014
    On 3/7/2014 5:31 PM, Android8675 wrote:
    Hey all,

Trying to get a group together to play some Vidja games. Wednesday evenings around 6pm PST will be the start time til we get bored.

I particularly like to play co-op shooters like Borderlands, or Diablo II/]I[,
    but I'm not against taking suggestions for other game types. (Civ3-5, Hearthstone, or whatever)

Started a Steam Group as kind of a gathering point, and I'll try to keep a reoccuring event on Wednesday evening that you can use as a handy alarm.

If you've never used Steam before you can make an account for free, lots of good free to play games like Team Fortress 2. Jump on and look for the DoveNet
    group under Community Groups.

Thats funny, I was just about to post something like this.

I have a xbox360 and I am looking for meatshields.. er.. teammates to
    play with. :)

I dont have much of a gaming PC anymore unfortunately. :(

-Mindless Automaton
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Eldritch Clockwork BBS - eldritch.darktech.org
  • From Access Denied@VERT/PHARCYDE to Android8675 on Sat Mar 8 06:53:32 2014
    Hello Android8675,

On 07 Mar 14 14:31, Android8675 wrote to All:

I particularly like to play co-op shooters like Borderlands, or Diablo II/]I[, but I'm not against taking suggestions for other game types. (Civ3-5, Hearthstone, or whatever)

Started a Steam Group as kind of a gathering point, and I'll try to
    keep a reoccuring event on Wednesday evening that you can use as a
    handy alarm.

If you've never used Steam before you can make an account for free,
    lots of good free to play games like Team Fortress 2. Jump on and look
    for the DoveNet group under Community Groups.

Since you're a friend of mine on Steam, and I know you want to play. You should get on Black Ops 2 damnit!

Ghosts sucks. I regret buying it. :)

Regards,
    Nick

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20130910
    * Origin: Dark Sorrow | darksorrow.us (723:1/701)
    ■ Synchronet ■ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From Timesoarer@VERT/DRAC to Access Denied on Sun Mar 9 21:07:49 2014
    Re: DoveNet Wednesday Night Fights
    By: Access Denied to Android8675 on Sat Mar 08 2014 01:53 am

I would play Diablo III with a DoveNet Clan if somebody wanted to do that. I have a very awesome
    modded half-life server. The Problem is Steam has changed soo much they kicked most Linux based servers
    off. If you don't have a certain type of CPU. Now my server doesn't show up in a list. No fun if you
    can't get players from the internet. If I had enough people that knew about it and would use it. I would
    put it back online for people to check out. 8 to 10 players would be nice. I never thought of posting the
    address to it here. The game I play the most now is Battlefield 4 I might start playing Diablo III again
    when the new expansion pak comes out. We should start a game server rotation of some kind that would be cool.
    Love that fact of playing retro games. I still have Quake somewhere. Let's get a list of clan members going.
    Or something... what a cool idea.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Draconian BBS - Boone, Iowa - drac.synchro.net
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Mindless Automaton on Mon Mar 10 13:42:31 2014
    Re: Re: DoveNet Wednesday Night Fights
    By: Mindless Automaton to Android8675 on Fri Mar 07 2014 10:49 pm

Thats funny, I was just about to post something like this.
    I have a xbox360 and I am looking for meatshields.. er.. teammates to play with. :)
    I dont have much of a gaming PC anymore unfortunately. :(

Now is a great time to get into PC gaming, I think both the XB1 and PS4 fell on their asses in regards to specs/game quality.

for help, check out reddit.com/r/buildapc

I saw a great AMD 6-core PC with a current generation video card and 8gigs ram for like $600. Add an ASUS 144hz gaming monitor (23 or 27") and you'll have a gaming PC that should last 3 years before needing an update. Steampowered.com for all the games you'll ever need without leaving your house.

I admit to owning a 360/PS3, but I haven't powered them on in a while. About the only thing I'd be into playing on XB is Rock Band 3/DJ Hero.

---
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Access Denied on Mon Mar 10 13:45:10 2014
    By: Access Denied to Android8675 on Sat Mar 08 2014 01:53 am

Since you're a friend of mine on Steam, and I know you want to play. You should get on Black Ops 2 damnit!

Ghosts sucks. I regret buying it. :)

Yeah, I see you jump into BO2 all the time. I really dislike military shooters, but if BO2 goes on Steam Sale maybe I'll pick it up. I think I have MW4 and BO1 on my Xbox still, but really not my cup o tea. I enjoyed the MW4 story, but never got into BO1 save for a few zombie matches.

I'd rather play Left 4 Dead 2 or TF2, but both are currently not installed.

---
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Timesoarer on Mon Mar 10 14:43:27 2014
    By: Timesoarer to Access Denied on Sun Mar 09 2014 05:07 pm

I would play Diablo III with a DoveNet Clan if somebody wanted to do
    that. I have a very awesome modded half-life server. The Problem is

I played D3 all weekend for the double experience. I've never made it to 60 in that game, now I have a 60+10 barbarian with big boobies (female). I LOVE the new difficulty settings. Now you can start a level one, set the difficulty to whatever level you want, monsters scale to your level. Pretty cool! No more playing the game through 4 times just to get to the good stuff.

Haven't done HL deathmatch in a long time. Is that HL1 or HL2 deathmatch? I have no idea what it takes to run a server, on Steam these days. My Internet connection is not server material, but I guess if I REALLY wanted to run a server there's always Amazon Web Services.

---
  • From Mindless Automaton@VERT/ELDRITCH to Android8675 on Mon Mar 10 19:44:42 2014
    On 3/10/2014 12:42 PM, Android8675 wrote:
    By: Mindless Automaton to Android8675 on Fri Mar 07 2014 10:49 pm

>> Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DoveNet

MA> Thats funny, I was just about to post something like this.
    MA> I have a xbox360 and I am looking for meatshields.. er.. teammates to
    MA> play with. :)
    MA> I dont have much of a gaming PC anymore unfortunately. :(

Now is a great time to get into PC gaming, I think both the XB1 and PS4 fell on
    their asses in regards to specs/game quality.

for help, check out reddit.com/r/buildapc

I saw a great AMD 6-core PC with a current generation video card and 8gigs ram
    for like $600. Add an ASUS 144hz gaming monitor (23 or 27") and you'll have a gaming PC that should last 3 years before needing an update. Steampowered.com for all the games you'll ever need without leaving your house.

I admit to owning a 360/PS3, but I haven't powered them on in a while. About the only thing I'd be into playing on XB is Rock Band 3/DJ Hero.

I was hurting for money so I pieced out my old game machine I built a
    few years back. :o

Friends & family had been buying me gamestops cards for bday/xmas, so I
    saved them up for like 2 or 3 years and bought the xbox360.

My wife won a PS4 at a chinese auction last weekend. :o

- Mindless Automaton
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Eldritch Clockwork BBS - eldritch.darktech.org
  • From Hustler@VERT/XBIT to Android8675 on Mon Mar 10 19:48:42 2014
    By: Android8675 to Mindless Automaton on Mon Mar 10 2014 09:42 am

Now is a great time to get into PC gaming, I think both the XB1 and PS4 fell their asses in regards to specs/game quality.

I saw a great AMD 6-core PC with a current generation video card and 8gigs r for like $600. Add an ASUS 144hz gaming monitor (23 or 27") and you'll have gaming PC that should last 3 years before needing an update. Steampowered.co for all the games you'll ever need without leaving your house.

I'm installing stem right now. I hope it's worth it. It's been a while but I've always had trouble with online gaming. They seemed to lock up at the worst possilbe times. Let's see how it goes.

... A bad day BBSing is better than a good day at work.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The X-Bit BBS <> http://x-bit.org <> Portland, Oregon USA
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Hustler on Tue Mar 11 12:21:21 2014
    By: Hustler to Android8675 on Mon Mar 10 2014 03:48 pm

I'm installing stem right now. I hope it's worth it. It's been a while but
    I've always had trouble with online gaming. They seemed to lock up at the
    worst possilbe times. Let's see how it goes.

So the strength in Steam isn't just it's ability to do online gaming, but it's also in it's digital delivery system. You can choose from thousands of games online of every genre, download the game, and get to playing as fast as your download pipe will allow.

During the holidays Steam has these huge steam sales where every day/hour they discount a ton of great games, usually around 70-90% off. They tend to be so popular that a lot of game developers claim to make more money on a game during a Steam Sale than they did at the game's release. As such you might find yourself stocking up on games that you may (or may not) get around to playing... eventually. :)

For me it got so bad that I setup Steam to default to My Games page instead of the Store page. Every 4 hours another amazing/shitty game goes on sale. Honestly Steam isthe best, but then you get stuff like humblebundle.com where they sell 5-10 games for charity and you can name your own price.
    --

Sorry for making this a big ole Steam worshiping session, but I hope it works out for you, their digital downloads are usually the fastest downloads i've ever gotten, they resume if they get interrupted, and games auto-patch without prompting you.

A lot of games the first time you run them will automatically check to make sure your system has all the drivers/utils needed to run the game as well. For leyman, Steam is really designed to make your PC gaming more like a console experience, just buy, download, and play.

Last note, Team Fortress 2 is free to play and supported by microtransactions that do not affect the gameplay (strictly cosmetic hats mostly), should be your first download.

---
  • From Timesoarer@VERT/DRAC to Android8675 on Wed Mar 26 00:49:03 2014
    By: Android8675 to Timesoarer on Mon Mar 10 2014 10:43 am

Haven't done HL deathmatch in a long time. Is that HL1 or HL2 deathmatch? I have no idea what it takes to run a server, on Steam these days. My
    Internet connection is not server material, but I guess if I REALLY wanted to run a server there's always Amazon Web Services.

It's Half_Life 1 but modded very nicely.. Bubble Mod, Hook, Voting, Say time, Spawn Protection, Model character skin protection or model skin checking.. nobody
    else can use your character skin, Logs all chats or server messages. Weapons Mods.
    Server Sounds, Plays Mp3 music while you play. Cla tag protection Has high speed
    web server downloads.. you connect to server if you don't have the data it disconnects
    you and redirects connection to dedicated web server.. I used to run that on DSL and
    the server on Linux. Steam Killed me with updates.. I gave up on it..
    But you can still connect but it does't post anything about it on steam anymore.

I had a nicely modded Battlefield 1942 Coral Sea.. It wouldn't let you bail from planes without dying.... All old school happy times gone by the way side
    I play mostly Battlefield 4 now.. We also did allot of insanse racing too.. Loved Need for Speed Drag Racing.. People reading this post your fav. Lan Games.
    If we could get some interest going here.. I would be happy to try and get it running again.. I would also join anyone else who wanted to host some kind
    of net lan party.. Cheers---

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Draconian BBS - Boone, Iowa - drac.synchro.net
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Timesoarer on Wed Mar 26 16:44:40 2014
    By: Timesoarer to Android8675 on Tue Mar 25 2014 08:49 pm

I honestly didn't get into too many LAN games back in the day, but when I worked at EA from 98-99 we pretty much played Tribes exclusively, that game was great espically when you have access to about 32 idiots with nothing to do when the phones shut down.

I recall several parties where we played Total Annihilation for days, got good at that for a while. Serious Sam was mindnumbingly fun.

your HL server sounds like a work of art, would HL1: Source be able to connect or do I have to use a specific client?

pretty cool. I don't know what I'll play tonight. Might just hang out in
    Steam Chat in case someone wants to play. I gotta do some paperwork tonight so might not have time to play, but... 6pm PST, should be online.

-A.

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Android8675 on Wed Mar 26 20:04:33 2014
    Subject: DoveNet Wednesday Night Fights
    @MSGID: <53335D01.1078.dove.hobby@realitycheckbbs.org>
    @REPLY: <53332E28.1084.dove-hob@shodan.synchro.net>
    @TZ: c1e0
    By: Android8675 to Timesoarer on Wed Mar 26 2014 12:44 pm

I honestly didn't get into too many LAN games back in the day, but when
    I worked at EA from 98-99 we pretty much played Tribes exclusively, that
    game was great espically when you have access to about 32 idiots with
    nothing to do when the phones shut down.

Back in 1993-1994 I worked for a company that sold flying toasters. We'd shut the CS phones down at 5:30pm and play multi-player DOOM until 10:30 or 11:00pm. The game was all IPX at that time, so no internet gaming. We'd set up a 6 way conference call and use the desk phones to do a conference call.

DOOM did coopertive deathmatch, it was fun playing teams against NPCs.

State of the art, back then.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to Poindexter Fortran on Thu Mar 27 11:57:00 2014
    On 03-26-14, Poindexter Fortran said the following...

@MSGID: <53335D01.1078.dove.hobby@realitycheckbbs.org>
    @REPLY: <53332E28.1084.dove-hob@shodan.synchro.net>
    By: Android8675 to Timesoarer on Wed Mar 26 2014 12:44 pm
    I honestly didn't get into too many LAN games back in the day, but
    I worked at EA from 98-99 we pretty much played Tribes exclusively,
    game was great espically when you have access to about 32 idiots wi
    nothing to do when the phones shut down.

Back in 1993-1994 I worked for a company that sold flying toasters. We'd shut the CS phones down at 5:30pm and play multi-player DOOM until 10:30 or 11:00pm. The game was all IPX at that time, so no internet gaming.
    We'd set up a 6 way conference call and use the desk phones to do a conference call.

DOOM did coopertive deathmatch, it was fun playing teams against NPCs.

Is it sad that I still have DOOM installed and play it from time to time? Along with Duke Nukem and Heretic?

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A38 (Linux)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org | Kingwood, TX
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Poindexter Fortran on Thu Mar 27 14:09:32 2014
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Android8675 on Wed Mar 26 2014 04:04 pm

Back in 1993-1994 I worked for a company that sold flying toasters. We'd shut the CS phones down at 5:30pm and play multi-player DOOM until 10:30 or 11:00pm. The game was all IPX at that time, so no internet gaming. We'd set up a 6 way conference call and use the desk phones to do a conference call.

Was before my time, but my boss used to tell me they'd load up doom at EA and crash the network because of the volume of IPX spam just killed the network. They had to ban the game or disconnect computers from the main network (people brought in their own HUBs) in order to play, but then Quake with TCP/IP came out, and there was much rejoycing.
    -A.

---
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Gryphon on Thu Mar 27 14:17:36 2014
    By: Gryphon to Poindexter Fortran on Thu Mar 27 2014 07:57 am

Is it sad that I still have DOOM installed and play it from time to time? Along with Duke Nukem and Heretic?

My favorite gaming story of all time...

I grew up in Santa Cruz, CA. At the time I met this guy.. Todd Replogle, he started making these PC games and offered to bring me in to help him. Knowing little of actual coding I declined, but helped him playtest a few of his earlier games including a 40-col ANSI game called Caves of Thor (played like Gauntlet or robotron), Dark Ages was a neat little side scroller game. Then he brought me his latest game, Duke Nukem. Thought it was cool. gave him some feedback and that was it. learned later that he was relocating to Austin and living off 50k per week in royalties. (that was before duke was finished)

Great guy, I kick myself in the patookus every time I think about it. Apogee, great little company, way ahead of it's time.

In other news, I'm hooked on the Diablo 3 expansion at the moment. EDamn that game is fun.

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Gryphon on Thu Mar 27 16:13:17 2014
    Subject: Re: DoveNet Wednesday Night Fights
    @MSGID: <5334784D.1080.dove.hobby@realitycheckbbs.org>
    @REPLY: <53342275.1244.dove-hob@vert.synchro.net>

Not at all -- I loved the maps and the gameplay in DOOM - partly because it was the first serious FPS I played, also loved the coop deathmatch mode, but loved the gloomy, dungeony feel. In the parts where you go "outside", it felt like a breath of fresh air.

---
  • From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to Poindexter Fortran on Thu Mar 27 19:58:00 2014
    On 03-27-14, Poindexter Fortran said the following...

@MSGID: <5334784D.1080.dove.hobby@realitycheckbbs.org>
    @REPLY: <53342275.1244.dove-hob@vert.synchro.net>
    Is it sad that I still have DOOM installed and play it from time to Along with Duke Nukem and Heretic?

Not at all -- I loved the maps and the gameplay in DOOM - partly because it was the first serious FPS I played, also loved the coop deathmatch mode, but loved the gloomy, dungeony feel. In the parts where you go "outside", it felt like a breath of fresh air.

I suspect that as we get older, we will find that the things we did when we were in our teens and 20s will be the things we hold on to for the rest of
    our lives. Those will be the times that we look back to as fond memories. There are many games that are out today that hold no interest for me.
    The ones that have more and more realism are just less and less appealing. I like the 8bit graphics; to me those signify real games.

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A38 (Linux)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org | Kingwood,
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Android8675 on Fri Mar 28 02:37:23 2014
    Subject: DoveNet Wednesday Night Fights
    @MSGID: <53350A93.1084.dove.hobby@realitycheckbbs.org>
    @REPLY: <53345B4C.1088.dove-hob@shodan.synchro.net>
    By: Android8675 to Poindexter Fortran on Thu Mar 27 2014 10:09 am

Was before my time, but my boss used to tell me they'd load up doom at EA and crash the network because of the volume of IPX spam just killed the network. They had to ban the game or disconnect computers from the main network (people brought in their own HUBs) in order to play, but then Quake with TCP/IP came out, and there was much rejoycing.

Heh. I worked at another company (that sent a Shockwave(tm) through the internet landscape) when Quake I came out. The network guy was pathetic -- CAT 5 blocks cross-connected with twisted pair cross-connect cables, making everything good for about 10 mbps. Hubs in most of the environment, switched ports tying together IP subnetworks. No DHCP. And, user PCs in the same subnet as the servers.

We played Quake and DOS'ed the mail server.

---
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Gryphon on Fri Mar 28 03:33:20 2014
    By: Gryphon to Poindexter Fortran on Thu Mar 27 2014 07:57:00

Nope. Those are the bomb-diggety, y0.

-- Greetings, NSA, and best wishes

---
    ■ Synchronet
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Gryphon on Fri Mar 28 03:34:44 2014
    By: Gryphon to Poindexter Fortran on Thu Mar 27 2014 15:58:00

I suspect that as we get older, we will find that the things we did when we were in our teens and 20s will be the things we hold on to for the rest of our lives. Those will be the times that we look back to as fond memories. There are many games that are out today that hold no interest for me.
    The ones that have more and more realism are just less and less appealing. I like the 8bit graphics; to me those signify real games.

I am right there beside you on that one. :) Hell, if I can find myself another Atari 8-bit computer at some point here, I'm probably going to end up writing some lame code on there and looking for all the old freeware, PD, and warez I can find to burn up some time when I finally have enough. :)

-- Greetings, NSA, and best wishes

---
    ■ Synchronet
  • From HusTler@VERT/DIGDIST to Gryphon on Sun Mar 30 16:41:27 2014
    By: Gryphon to Poindexter Fortran on Thu Mar 27 2014 07:57:00

No. I still play those games. I was amazed with those games. They ran on the crapy machine I had. Remember using memory manager in windows? DoH!

HusTler

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion BBS - digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Froggyme@VERT/LILLYPAD to Android8675 on Sun May 11 23:26:08 2014
    By: Android8675 to Gryphon on Thu Mar 27 2014 10:17 am

I grew up in Santa Cruz, CA. At the time I met this guy.. Todd Replogle, he started making these PC games and offered to bring me in to help him. Knowing little of actual coding I declined, but helped him playtest a few of his earlier games including a 40-col ANSI game called Caves of Thor

You knew Todd Reploge? I love his games! Especially Caves of Thor. It's like an action KROZ. ANSI games have always been my favorite since I was a kid.

was relocating to Austin and living off 50k per week in royalties. (that was before duke was finished)

Those shareware game developers got really rich sometimes. Especially Scott Miller and the id people.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Sent from The Lillypad BBS - lillypad.synchro.net:2323
  • From Froggyme@VERT/LILLYPAD to Poindexter Fortran on Sun May 11 23:28:48 2014
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Android8675 on Thu Mar 27 2014 10:37 pm

Heh. I worked at another company (that sent a Shockwave(tm) through the internet landscape) when Quake I came out. The network guy was pathetic --

You worked at Macromedia? How did Adobe end up with Flash?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Sent from The Lillypad BBS - lillypad.synchro.net:2323
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Froggyme on Mon May 12 04:06:29 2014
    By: Froggyme to Android8675 on Sun May 11 2014 07:26 pm

Those shareware game developers got really rich sometimes. Especially
    Scott Miller and the id people.

george romero spent it all on implants for stevie and shampoo for himself
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Froggyme on Mon May 12 19:43:30 2014
    By: Froggyme to Android8675 on Sun May 11 2014 07:26 pm

You knew Todd Reploge? I love his games! Especially Caves of Thor. It's like an action KROZ. ANSI games have always been my favorite since I was a kid.
    Those shareware game developers got really rich sometimes. Especially Scott Miller and the id people.

Yeah, thanks for the refresher on his surname. I could never remember it. I have a copy of Caves of Thor on floppy, somewhere...

Yeah, I admit I really missed the boat with that guy. Wouldn't of killed me to hang out with him a bit more. Maybe he could of talked me into going with him, but hindsight, amirite?

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Froggyme on Thu May 22 17:09:00 2014
    Subject: Re: DoveNet Wednesday Night Fights
    @MSGID: <5388C733.1110.dove.hobby@realitycheckbbs.org>
    @REPLY: <537031E0.80.dove-hobby@lillypad.synchro.net>
    Froggyme wrote to Poindexter Fortran <=-

A company in San Diego created a web player called FutureSplash. Macromedia bought the company for not a lot of $$$, hired some of the developers and renamed it Flash. The rest is history.

Adobe and Macromedia were rivals for some time -- when I worked there, one
    of the hot projects was Xres, a supposed Photoshop killer. There are people still using it years later.

When Adobe bought Macromedia, questions arose about where the HQ would be.
    An Adobe exec said something to the extent that "the drive from San
    Francisco to San Jose on I-280 (where the AdobeHQ is) is nice in the morning..."

Yet, Macromedia still has a really cool old converted warehouse in SF and
    the sign's lit.

... Powered By Celeron (Tualatin). Engineered for the future.
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.50
  • From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to Poindexter Fortran on Fri May 30 19:27:00 2014
    On 05-30-14, Poindexter Fortran said the following...

Froggyme wrote to Poindexter Fortran <=-

A company in San Diego created a web player called FutureSplash. Macromedia bought the company for not a lot of $$$, hired some of the developers and renamed it Flash. The rest is history.

Adobe and Macromedia were rivals for some time -- when I worked there,
    one of the hot projects was Xres, a supposed Photoshop killer. There are people still using it years later.

When Adobe bought Macromedia, questions arose about where the HQ would
    be. AnAdobe exec said something to the extent that "the drive from San Francisco to San Jose on I-280 (where the AdobeHQ is) is nice in the morning..."

Yet, Macromedia still has a really cool old converted warehouse in SF and the sign's lit.

Didn't Adobe have offices in San Jose? If I remember correctly, they were
    off of Santa Clara St. I used to deliver mail in that area circa 1990, and I remember the big logo sign on top of river park tower.

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A42 (Linux)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org
  • From LaRRy LaGoMoRpH@VERT/GRUDGEDU to Gryphon on Tue Jul 29 18:09:37 2014
    By: Gryphon to Poindexter Fortran on Fri May 30 2014 03:27 pm

Didn't Adobe have offices in San Jose? If I remember correctly, they were off of Santa Clara St. I used to deliver mail in that area circa 1990, and I remember the big logo sign on top of river park tower.

This message has been dangling here forever, and since I know the answer, I'll tell you, and the answer is Yes!

I know this because I went to college in Santa Cruz and would frequently go to downtown San Jose to see concerts, a lot of times at the old Cactus Club. Anyhow, I would say the Adobe buildings were one of the more striking things in the modest San Jose skyline on the ride over, and I remember them well.

I don't know if they are still there, but I can't see why they wouldn't be. That would be my question.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ telnet to utureland.grudgemirror.com and check out our website for a sneak pre
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to LaRRy LaGoMoRpH on Sun Aug 3 12:06:35 2014
    By: LaRRy LaGoMoRpH to Gryphon on Tue Jul 29 2014 02:09 pm

This message has been dangling here forever, and since I know the answer, I'll tell you, and the answer is Yes!

I know this because I went to college in Santa Cruz and would frequently go to downtown San Jose to see concerts, a lot of times at the old Cactus Club.

Yes! The Cactus Club was the only thing that got us going to SJ from SF.

Anyhow, I would say the Adobe buildings were one of the more
    striking things in the modest San Jose skyline on the ride over, and I remember them well.

They're still there, as well as having taken over the Macromedia offices, another stunning building, on the other side of 280 in San Francisco.

---
  • From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to Poindexter Fortran on Mon Aug 4 13:13:00 2014
    On 08/03/14, Poindexter Fortran said the following...

By: LaRRy LaGoMoRpH to Gryphon on Tue Jul 29 2014 02:09 pm
    This message has been dangling here forever, and since I know the ans I'll tell you, and the answer is Yes!

I know this because I went to college in Santa Cruz and would frequen go to downtown San Jose to seeconcerts, a lot of times at the old Cac Club.

Yes! The Cactus Club was the only thing that got us going to SJ from SF.

Back in the 80's, there was a club I frequented on Martin Ave in San
    Jose/Santa Clara, called One Step Beyond. Obviously it played a bunch of new wave music.

Anyhow, I would say the Adobe buildings were one of the more
    striking things in the modest San Jose skyline on the ride over, and remember them well.

They're still there, as well as having taken over the Macromedia offices, another stunning building, on the other side of 280 in San Francisco.

I used to live in a studio appartment on 3rd and Santa Clara. I think I moved out in '92. The Adobe buildings on River Way were just down the street from me.

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A51 (Linux)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org | Kingwood, TX