• 3d Printing

From Scorpion@VERT/MICKYBAY to All on Tue Mar 3 17:55:00 2015
    Hi all,

Has anyone in the model community using a 3d printer?

I have seen many on the market all with different pro's and con's.
    Knowing nothing about them, What should one be looking for in a 3d printer and what software is easy for a beginner

Scorpion

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ MickyBay - mickybay.com
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Scorpion on Tue Mar 3 15:56:20 2015
    Re: 3d Printing
    By: Scorpion to All on Tue Mar 03 2015 12:55:00

Not yet; hopefully soon, though. I'm going to be taking a class at Free Geek pretty soon after I start work there, though, where they are working on an open hardware class working with lathes and stuff. After that I really want to be able to put together one of the open hardware ones that I've been looking into for awhile here, then use it to print parts for an even better one. Heh. I've got a series that I'm going to follow.
    Interested in hearing what you come up with or decide, though. :)

-=-
    Borg Burgers: We do it our way; your way is irrelevant.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron BBS telnet://tinfoil.synchro.net
  • From Gumbro@VERT/B4BBS to Scorpion on Tue Mar 17 23:30:13 2015
    By: Scorpion to All on Tue Mar 03 2015 12:55:00

Hi all,

Knowing nothing about them, What should one be looking for in a 3d printer a what software is easy for a beginner

Scorpion

Depends a bit on what you need to do with them. I'd start off by looking for a public 3D printing workshop (we have libraries with 3D printers that can be used for free), or try ordering something from one of the print on demand 3d services.

Easier and cheaper to get started like that. And then you know exactly what you need.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ B4BBS = London, England - b4bbs.sampsa.com:2323 (telnet) or 2222 (ssh)
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Gumbro on Tue Mar 17 20:10:37 2015
    By: Gumbro to Scorpion on Tue Mar 17 2015 07:30 pm

Depends a bit on what you need to do with them. I'd start off by looking
    for a public 3D printing workshop (we have libraries with 3D printers that can be used for free), or try ordering something from one of the print on demand 3d services.

Easier and cheaper to get started like that. And then you know exactly what you need.

are they free but you pay for materials?
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From kk4qbn@VERT/NWGA_NET to Scorpion on Fri May 1 00:33:00 2015
    By: Scorpion to All on Tue Mar 03 2015 12:55 pm

Hi all,

Knowing nothing about them, What should one be looking for in a 3d printer a what software is easy for a beginner

I have'nt myself. But to answer your question, Yes, there are many, many, people in the community printing their own parts. Would love to own one for the fact that I have designed many parts in my head that could not be fabricated with materials available to me, but the price point is just way off right now.

KK4QBN - Tim

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Northwest Georgia Net: nwga_net.synchro.net (706)-422-9538