• Connectivity issues w/Comcast

From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to All on Wed Aug 17 02:32:29 2011
    Weird. I've had a Comcast cable internet connection for the past 8 months. I've not had 1 single glitch until last week, and I've had 2 since then. Once, I renewed my lease and the connection came back (albeit with a new IP), and the second time my connection came back with a DHCP renew (but with the same IP).

I'm starting to miss my local mom n' pop ISP I had for years -- a LEC DSL reseller, offered decent services, static IPs, managed the LEC so I didn't have to, and someone who knew always answered the phone.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Cykros@VERT/ERIS to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Aug 19 04:14:43 2011
    Re: Connectivity issues w/Comcast
    By: Poindexter Fortran to All on Tue Aug 16 2011 10:32 pm

Weird. I've had a Comcast cable internet connection for the past 8 months. I've not had 1 single glitch until last week, and I've had 2 since then. Once, I renewed my lease and the connection came back (albeit with a new IP), and the second time my connection came back with a DHCP renew (but
    with the same IP).
    I'm starting to miss my local mom n' pop ISP I had for years -- a LEC DSL reseller, offered decent services, static IPs, managed the LEC so I didn't have to, and someone who knew always answered the phone.

Starting to? Comcast has been nothing but trouble since they got into the ISP industry, blocking ports at times, and making it technically a violation of your license agreement to run a server of ANY KIND on a residential connection. Yea, right. The active filtering of BitTorrent was a mess as well, and is now what the EFF uses as a benchmark to see if a net-neutrality proposal holds any water. If it would have prevented that action by Comcast, it's worth considering. Meanwhile, today, Comcast is teamed up with AT&T and Verizon in a 6 strikes approach to piracy, which seeks to create a blacklist of people who can get service at none of those aforementioned ISPs (and I believe there may be some others as well that are in on it). Man, kind of makes me glad I can at least still get RCN around here. I feel bad for people who get no choice in where their Internet comes from.

cykros

Discordia BBS: An apple a day keeps the goddess at play...fnord. telnet://discordia.dyndns.info

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Discordia BBS
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Cykros on Fri Aug 19 11:50:20 2011
    Re: Connectivity issues w/Comcast
    By: Cykros to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Aug 19 2011 12:14 am

be some others as well that are in on it). Man, kind of makes me glad I can least still get RCN around here. I feel bad for people who get no choice in where their Internet comes from.

Most places are stil cable monopolies. Shame, as competition is a good thing. I was on RCN, and liked them. Their policy around here was to slow speeds down after a set per-day bandwidth limit - I think it was 2g/day at full speed, then it dropped to 256kb/sec for the rest of the 24 hour period, and then reset. It seemed better than a draconian "Use all of the bandwidth we give you and we'll terminate you" stance some providers have.

I use Tomato open-source router firmware and watch my bandwidth usage. I try to get as close to the 250GB cap every month, just to get my money's worth. :)

Worst case, I go back to DSL. I have a tech-friendly ISP out here; not the fastest solution, but to get news servers, a static IP and knowledgeable tech support I might sacrifice some speed.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org