• DynDNS on Google Domains

From tracker1@VERT/TRNTEST to All on Fri Oct 9 23:19:42 2015
    Just discovered if you're using Google Domains for your domain registration, and DNS, they support dyndns in the box, as well as url redirection. Just thought it was a cool option.

Though, if you're using google for domain registration, you *REALLY* should enable two factor authentication (2FA) for your account...

I'm actually starting to move my domain registrations over, because at least they don't try to sell me a dozen other services while registering/renewing like most others do.
    --
    Michael J. Ryan
    tracker1(at)gmail.com
    +o Roughneck BBS

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ RoughneckBBS - http://www.roughneckbbs.com/
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to tracker1 on Sat Oct 10 03:02:55 2015
    Re: DynDNS on Google Domains
    By: tracker1 to All on Fri Oct 09 2015 07:19 pm

Just discovered if you're using Google Domains for your domain
    registration, and DNS, they support dyndns in the box, as well as url redirection. Just thought it was a cool option.

Though, if you're using google for domain registration, you *REALLY* should enable two factor authentication (2FA) for your account...

I'm actually starting to move my domain registrations over, because at
    least they don't try to sell me a dozen other services while

whats the benefit of using them? last time i looked their interface was limited and i saw no reason to switch from namecheap or godaddy to them.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From tracker1@VERT/TRNTEST to Mro on Wed Oct 21 21:57:38 2015
    Just discovered if you're using Google Domains for your domain
    registration, and DNS, they support dyndns in the box, as well as url
    redirection. Just thought it was a cool option.

Though, if you're using google for domain registration, you *REALLY*
    should enable two factor authentication (2FA) for your account...

I'm actually starting to move my domain registrations over, because at
    least they don't try to sell me a dozen other services while

whats the benefit of using them? last time i looked their interface was limited and i saw no reason to switch from namecheap or godaddy to them.

Mainly just wanted to try them out... the interface is limited, but does everything I actually need it to. I noticed that they supported dyndns in
    the box, and thought that was cool. The biggest thing is they don't try to sell you a bunch of hosting services during the registration process. They also don't charge extra for activating privacy on your domain(s).

I'm probably going to move most of my domains over... godaddy is just frustrating, and tbh, I don't feel namecheap is much better. Also,
    compared to other google services, I was actually able to talk to a support person on the phone when I moved bbs.io over to them (nic.bbs.io's ui is probably the worst of any of them).

That said, ymmv of course... I've been pretty happy with them overall.

----

Aside: is anyone else using sendgrid or similar for outbound smtp? I set
    them up mainly because I wanted new user validation emails to always get through... Really hoping to get the new web ui started this weekend. Will
    see how it goes.

--
    Michael J. Ryan
    tracker1(at)gmail.com
    +o Roughneck BBS

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to tracker1 on Thu Oct 22 01:01:45 2015
    Re: Re: DynDNS on Google Domains
    By: tracker1 to Mro on Wed Oct 21 2015 05:57 pm

Mainly just wanted to try them out... the interface is limited, but does everything I actually need it to. I noticed that they supported dyndns in the box, and thought that was cool. The biggest thing is they don't try to sell you a bunch of hosting services during the registration process. They also don't charge extra for activating privacy on your domain(s).

I'm probably going to move most of my domains over... godaddy is just

godaddy just pisses me off. each time i login there everything looks different and there's a popup interface that disappears if i move my mouse one cunthair to the left.

i moved to godaddy because they always had such great coupons but that's
    pretty much done.

i liked namecheap when i moved there a year or two ago but they are becoming like godaddy.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From tracker1@VERT/TRNTEST to Mro on Thu Oct 22 11:01:37 2015
    I'm probably going to move most of my domains over... godaddy is just

godaddy just pisses me off. each time i login there everything looks different and there's a popup interface that disappears if i move my mouse one cunthair to the left.

i moved to godaddy because they always had such great coupons but that's pretty much done.

i liked namecheap when i moved there a year or two ago but they are
    becoming like godaddy.

yeah, I've tried several domain registrars over the years after godaddy
    jumped the shark on up-selling... serious story, not-pc at all, heard an Istraeli once complementing godaddy on offering so many up-sells, at their
    peak of "offers".

I've since consolidated/moved all my non-godaddy domains over to google...
    now planning on moving most of my godaddy ones over too, there's one I won't
    be able to move out of godaddy.
    --
    Michael J. Ryan
    tracker1(at)gmail.com
    +o Roughneck BBS

---