• Ack; another thread, please!

From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to All on Wed Aug 14 06:16:13 2013
    Seriously... It's UNIX. Real UNIX users keep it in text mode.
    Let's get at least ONE other thread going in here, please? ;)

-The opinions expressed are not necessarily an advocation of any of the aforementioned ideologies, concepts, or actions. We still have the freedom of speech, for now, and I enjoy using it in a satirical or ficticious manner to amuse myself-

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a
    revolutionary act." -- George Orwell

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron : telnet bismaninfo.hopto.org 8023 : http:8080
  • From Folsom@VERT/XBIT to Khelair on Wed Aug 14 14:28:33 2013
    Re: Ack; another thread, please!
    By: Khelair to All on Wed Aug 14 2013 02:16 am

Hmm . . . I guess my 18 years of using unix like systems as my primary environment for computing does not make me a real unix user then. With the exception of the first couple of months where I could not get X to work, I only use unix with a GUI of some type. Often I use a terminal window for file management and text processing, but too much of my life is spent in a web browser, or image editor to want to be stuck with strictly a command line. Heck, I am even using gvim instead of vi now. My only problem with the graphical environments is that they are not consistent.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The X-BIT BBS * http://x-bit.org * http://x-bit.org/777.htm
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Khelair on Wed Aug 14 15:18:00 2013
    Khelair wrote to All <=-

Seriously... It's UNIX. Real UNIX users keep it in text
    mode. Let's get at least ONE other thread going in here, please? ;)

I'm downloading NetBSD as I type this. What's this Linux stuff doing on the UNIX echo? :)

... It is quite possible (after all)
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to Poindexter Fortran on Wed Aug 14 17:55:53 2013
    Re: Ack; another thread, plea
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Khelair on Wed Aug 14 2013 11:18 am

Khelair wrote to All <=-

Seriously... It's UNIX. Real UNIX users keep it in text
    mode. Let's get at least ONE other thread going in here, please? ;)

I'm downloading NetBSD as I type this. What's this Linux stuff doing on the UNIX echo? :)

... It is quite possible (after all)

someone is sending it into the linux echo on dovenet
    go to the BSD echo

"Practise safe Lunch, Use a Condiment"

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Three Stooges Gentlemens Club - Las Vegas, Nv - tsgc.dyndns.org
  • From Access Denied@VERT/PHARCYDE to Khelair on Wed Aug 14 18:02:57 2013
    By: Khelair to All on Wed Aug 14 2013 02:16 am

You're more than welcome to start a thread if you wish. The rest of us that are contributing, are currently involved in a thread that's keeping us interested and posting. :)

I've mentioned numerous times, probably 95% of the time when I'm using *nix, it's in a terminal (console only). What would you like to talk about?

Regards,
    Nick

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ thePharcyde_ >> telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Folsom on Wed Aug 14 23:23:32 2013
    By: Folsom to Khelair on Wed Aug 14 2013 10:28:33

Hmm . . . I guess my 18 years of using unix like systems as my primary environment for computing does not make me a real unix user then. With the exception of the first couple of months where I could not get X to work, I o use unix with a GUI of some type. Often I use a terminal window for file management and text processing, but too much of my life is spent in a web browser, or image editor to want to be stuck with strictly a command line. Heck, I am even using gvim instead of vi now. My only problem with the graphical environments is that they are not consistent.

Sorry, it was a bad attempt, I guess, at who's the biggest geek
    humor. I wasn't serious. I'm at ~20 years, too. I wasn't REALLY trying
    to whip it out and find out whose was bigger, it was a joke.

-The opinions expressed are not necessarily an advocation of any of the aforementioned ideologies, concepts, or actions. We still have the freedom of speech, for now, and I enjoy using it in a satirical or ficticious manner to amuse myself-

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron : telnet bismaninfo.hopto.org 8023 : http:8080
  • From Access Denied@VERT/PHARCYDE to Poindexter Fortran on Wed Aug 14 23:25:44 2013
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Khelair on Wed Aug 14 2013 11:18 am

You might like OpenBSD better. :)

Regards,
    Nick

---
  • From Folsom@VERT/XBIT to Khelair on Thu Aug 15 13:25:21 2013
    Re: Re: Ack; another thread, please!
    By: Khelair to Folsom on Wed Aug 14 2013 07:23 pm

By: Folsom to Khelair on Wed Aug 14 2013 10:28:33

Hmm . . . I guess my 18 years of using unix like systems as my primary environment for computing does not make me a real unix user then. With th exception of the first couple of months where I could not get X to work, use unix with a GUI of some type. Often I use a terminal window for file management and text processing, but too much of my life is spent in a web browser, or image editor to want to be stuck with strictly a command line Heck, I am even using gvim instead of vi now. My only problem with the graphical environments is that they are not consistent.

I apologize too. I regretted the tone of that reply just minutes after sending it. Although I did not get it accross very well, the actual communication that I wanted to make was that I think user desktops should be GUI environments-even if the only think that runs is a bunch of terminals.

---
  • From poindexter fortran to Folsom on Thu Aug 15 14:47:00 2013
    Folsom wrote to Khelair <=-

Hmm . . . I guess my 18 years of using unix like systems as my primary environment for computing does not make me a real unix user then.

That depends - EMACS or vi? :)

poindexter fortran | pfortran at realitycheckbbs dot org
    | http://realitycheckbbs.org

--- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
  • From Access Denied@VERT/PHARCYDE to Khelair on Thu Aug 15 13:38:15 2013

humor. I wasn't serious. I'm at ~20 years, too. I wasn't REALLY trying to whip it out and find out whose was bigger, it was a joke.

Don't ever let it happen again! :)

No really. You want to find out who's the biggest geek, write a paragraph in binary and see if someone will actually go out of their way to decipher it. I, for one, am out! lol

Regards,
    Nick

---
  • From Access Denied@VERT/PHARCYDE to Folsom on Thu Aug 15 21:25:36 2013
    By: Folsom to Khelair on Thu Aug 15 2013 09:25 am

I apologize too. I regretted the tone of that reply just minutes after sending it. Although I did not get it accross very well, the actual communication that I wanted to make was that I think user desktops should be GUI environments-even if the only think that runs is a bunch of terminals.

The only downside of that is that when you're running a bunch of servers in the background, X always seems to find a way to hog memory, or lock up one thing or another, so your servers aren't as stable as they could be.

I've ran my BBS on linux for years now, and I think I've had to reboot the computer maybe once a year. I put X on it, even with something lightweight like fluxbox or blackbox, and I would have to reboot every couple weeks due to some kind of memory leaks or something locking up (usually something involved with X or the window manager).

I would love to use a GUI if it was as stable as not using one. But in my experience it is definitely not, and I'm all about stability.

Regards,
    Nick

---
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Aug 16 01:01:25 2013
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Khelair on Wed Aug 14 2013 11:18:00

*cackle* THAT is what I'm talkin' about. Hell, the server I'm talking this on is a headless OpenBSD 5.x box. :D

---
  • From art@VERT/FATCATS to Access Denied on Fri Aug 16 12:41:25 2013
    By: Access Denied to Folsom on Thu Aug 15 2013 17:25:36

Ahoy AxisD,

I would love to use a GUI if it was as stable as not using one. But in my experience it is definitely not, and I'm all about stability.

That, my friend, is because you haven't used w9wm-arfonzo. :D

/me hides.

Kind regards,

art@fatcatsbbsdotcom

"I plan to shut down my cognitive functions for a brief period each day.
    I hope to generate new internal visions."
    "It sounds to me like you are talking about dreaming."
    "An accurate analogy."
    -- Data and Doctor Julian Bashir in ST:TNG "The Birthright"

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ fatcats bbs - fatcatsbbs.com
  • From Access Denied@VERT/PHARCYDE to Khelair on Fri Aug 16 16:01:42 2013
    Re: Re: Ack; another thread, plea
    By: Khelair to Poindexter Fortran on Thu Aug 15 2013 09:01 pm

I'm downloading NetBSD as I type this. What's this Linux stuff doing
    on the UNIX echo? :)

*cackle* THAT is what I'm talkin' about. Hell, the server I'm talking this on is a headless OpenBSD 5.x box. :D

And how is the installation and running of those door games coming along, fellas? If you haven't started yet, I wish you good luck. :)

I would much prefer to run my system on OpenBSD, but sometimes BSD just doesn't do what you want it to do in the BBS realm.

Regards,
    Nick

---
  • From Access Denied@VERT/PHARCYDE to art on Fri Aug 16 16:06:07 2013
    By: art to Access Denied on Fri Aug 16 2013 08:41 am

I would love to use a GUI if it was as stable as not using one. But in
    my experience it is definitely not, and I'm all about stability.

It's usually not the window manager or desktop environment that is at fault. It is Xorg and all the crap it's running in the background that hogs resources, and eventually slow down if not lock up your servers (in my past experience, anyways).

/me hides.

1, 2, .. 10. Ready or not, here I come (notice I cheated. lol).

Regards,
    Nick

---
  • From Folsom@VERT/XBIT to poindexter fortran on Fri Aug 16 16:10:33 2013
    By: poindexter fortran to Folsom on Thu Aug 15 2013 10:47 am

Here is my gang sign
    _ .-.
    |.| |.| .-.
    |-| |-| |.|
    |-| |-|-|-|
    | | ; | |-|
    | |/ ' ; |
    /| ;
    | \ ;
    \ ` '
    \ |
    | |
    | |

---
  • From Folsom@VERT/XBIT to Access Denied on Fri Aug 16 18:58:34 2013
    By: Access Denied to art on Fri Aug 16 2013 12:06 pm

By: art to Access Denied on Fri Aug 16 2013 08:41 am

I would love to use a GUI if it was as stable as not using one. But in
    my experience it is definitely not, and I'm all about stability.

It's usually not the window manager or desktop environment that is at fault. is Xorg and all the crap it's running in the background that hogs resources, and eventually slow down if not lock up your servers (in my past experience, anyways).

As a general rule, I do not allow X servers on any server. Even if I have an X application that I launch from a server, it should run on my display server, not on the real server. I have had several consultants not like my response when they wanted to install and run some management tool on the production server.

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Folsom on Fri Aug 16 23:04:35 2013
    By: Folsom to Access Denied on Fri Aug 16 2013 02:58 pm

As a general rule, I do not allow X servers on any server. Even if I have an X application that I launch from a server, it should run on my display server, not on the real server. I have had several consultants not like my response when they wanted to install and run some management tool on the production server.

Sounds like somoene who cut their teeth selling Windows servers.

"Look, we'll put Crystal Reports on the Exchange/Great Plains/Business Objects/&tc server and you can run your own reports on the fly!"

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Access Denied@VERT/PHARCYDE to Folsom on Sat Aug 17 04:10:07 2013
    By: Folsom to poindexter fortran on Fri Aug 16 2013 12:10 pm

Here is my gang sign
    _ .-.
    |.| |.| .-.
    |-| |-| |.|
    |-| |-|-|-|
    | | ; | |-|
    | |/ ' ; |
    /| ;
    | \ ;
    \ ` '
    \ |
    | |
    | |

Two in the pink, one in the stink. There's gotta be way better ascii pics of that out there, though. :)

Regards,
    Nick

---
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Access Denied on Sat Aug 17 02:47:26 2013
    By: Access Denied to Khelair on Fri Aug 16 2013 12:01:42

And how is the installation and running of those door games coming along, fellas? If you haven't started yet, I wish you good luck. :)

I would much prefer to run my system on OpenBSD, but sometimes BSD just does do what you want it to do in the BBS realm.

Yeah, that's kind of a biyatch. I just haven't had the time or effort to throw into the BBS+dosbox configuration. Initial attempts failed quick though, your insinuation is correct. I'm alright with that, though. I mean it'd be great to have more users connecting for such things, but my BBS's mission really doesn't depend on doors at all. The mail subsystem being rather horked, however, and seemingly only when compiled on OpenBSD... Well that just sucks.

---
  • From Access Denied@VERT/PHARCYDE to Khelair on Sat Aug 17 15:43:22 2013
    By: Khelair to Access Denied on Fri Aug 16 2013 10:47 pm

Yeah, that's kind of a biyatch. I just haven't had the time or effort to throw into the BBS+dosbox configuration. Initial attempts failed quick though, your insinuation is correct. I'm alright with that, though. I mean it'd be great to have more users connecting for such things, but my BBS's mission really doesn't depend on doors at all. The mail subsystem being rather horked, however, and seemingly only when compiled on OpenBSD... Well that just sucks.

On the other hand, Linux works quite well with the built-in dosemu support in Synchronet. Dosbox (as well as doscmd if that even works) won't allow multiple nodes to play at the same time in BSD.

Then again, if your intent has nothing to do with doors, then BSD would work.. as long as you can get everything else working right.

Good luck and have fun!

Regards,
    Nick

---
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Access Denied on Thu Aug 22 12:19:22 2013
    By: Access Denied to Khelair on Sat Aug 17 2013 11:43:22

On the other hand, Linux works quite well with the built-in dosemu support i Synchronet. Dosbox (as well as doscmd if that even works) won't allow multip nodes to play at the same time in BSD.

Then again, if your intent has nothing to do with doors, then BSD would work as long as you can get everything else working right.

Yeah, I'm keepin' my fingers crossed. ;)

---
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to Khelair on Mon Aug 26 01:33:11 2013

<Chris quietly tucks his ruler away...>
    :-)
    That said, when I'm usually dealing with headless systems (most of the time), I'm actually doing ssh sessions from a windows pc. I usually need a cold shower by the end of the day....

At home, I'm usually using KDE plus Konsole for much of the admin stuff I do.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS
    telnet://bbs.dmine.net

The Programmers' SIG @ DelphiForums
    http://www.delphiforums.com/prosig

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to poindexter fortran on Mon Aug 26 01:35:59 2013
    By: poindexter fortran to Folsom on Thu Aug 15 2013 10:47 am

Oh snap, now it's on LOL.

Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS

---
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to Folsom on Mon Aug 26 01:42:23 2013
    By: Folsom to Access Denied on Fri Aug 16 2013 02:58 pm

As a general rule, I do not allow X servers on any server. Even if I have an application that I launch from a server, it should run on my display server, not on the real server. I have had several consultants not like my response when they wanted to install and run some management tool on the production server.

Same here for the most part. When working with consultants/vendors during the initial setup of a new server I've used the gui at times. Once we put it into production it's down to runlevel 3.

Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS

---
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Chris on Fri Aug 30 02:52:44 2013
    By: Chris to Khelair on Sun Aug 25 2013 21:33:11

<Chris quietly tucks his ruler away...>
    :-)
    That said, when I'm usually dealing with headless systems (most of the time) I'm actually doing ssh sessions from a windows pc. I usually need a cold shower by the end of the day....

At home, I'm usually using KDE plus Konsole for much of the admin stuff I do

Yeah, I don't deal with headless systems primarily anymore. I've not been a sysadmin for a good 5 years now. That being said, the OpenBSD system that I run my BBS and other 'server' stuff on is, indeed, headless. It's still got X on it in case I ever decide to slap a monitor back on it for some reason, but usually that's not necessary unless I'm upgrading the OS. I'm actually looking forward to taking it down and moving it to its new location, though. I'm finally going to have a good excuse to set up SNMP monitoring of bandwidth utilization and all sorts of other fun stuff with all the neat graphs. :)
    As far as my desktop machine, it's debian with gnome classic for me right now. I had a laptop that had a really nice installation of OpenBSD that was unbelievably desktop friendly (for that particular OS) for awhile, but wouldn't you know it, the damn thing had to go and get thirsty on me. :(
    I haven't checked out KDE for awhile, but honestly I've not been too happy with debian + GNOME for awhile now due to some ridiculous sound issues I've been having. I might update my desktop system soon and see what I can do about a new setup on here.

---
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to Khelair on Tue Sep 10 05:38:35 2013
    By: Khelair to Chris on Thu Aug 29 2013 10:52 pm

I haven't checked out KDE for awhile, but honestly I've not been too hap with debian + GNOME for awhile now due to some ridiculous sound issues I've been having. I might update my desktop system soon and see what I can do ab a new setup on here.
    I recommend KDE for the most part. It probably is a bit more than what a lot of people need, but so far it seems to have come a long way over the few minor releases. The activities I have no use for right now, but I can see it being handy at some point.

Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS

---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to Chris on Tue Sep 10 16:59:49 2013
    By: Chris to Khelair on Tue Sep 10 2013 01:38 am

By: Khelair to Chris on Thu Aug 29 2013 10:52 pm

I haven't checked out KDE for awhile, but honestly I've not been too hap with debian + GNOME for awhile now due to some ridiculous sound issues I've been having. I might update my desktop system soon and see what I can do ab a new setup on here.
    I recommend KDE for the most part. It probably is a bit more than what a lot of people need, but so far it seems to have come a long way over the
    few minor releases. The activities I have no use for right now, but I can see it being handy at some point.

Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS

KDE is pretty cool but very bloated like Windoze is. That's the only problem with it.

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place
    Surrey, B.C., Canada
    the.millionaire@parkave.synchro.net

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Park Avenue Place - parkave.synchro.net
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Chris on Tue Sep 10 19:18:13 2013
    By: Chris to Khelair on Tue Sep 10 2013 01:38:35

I recommend KDE for the most part. It probably is a bit more than what a lo of people need, but so far it seems to have come a long way over the few min releases. The activities I have no use for right now, but I can see it being handy at some point.

With all of the issues that I've had with debian since I switched
    back to it, I really should try a switch to KDE. This sound crap that
    I've had going on is absolutely absurd in this day & age. Maybe back in
    '98 it was still excusable.

---
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to The Millionaire on Sat Sep 21 04:29:25 2013
    By: The Millionaire to Chris on Tue Sep 10 2013 12:59 pm

KDE is pretty cool but very bloated like Windoze is. That's the only problem with it.

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place
    Surrey, B.C., Canada
    the.millionaire@parkave.synchro.net

The KDE footprint is pretty big, but so long as you have a moderately built machine I have no problem recommending it. Obviously for a real slim machine (in terms of resources) I wouldn't try to wedge it in there when there are decent lightweight Desktops/WMs available.

Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Chris on Sat Sep 21 13:36:28 2013
    By: Chris to The Millionaire on Sat Sep 21 2013 12:29 am

The KDE footprint is pretty big, but so long as you have a moderately built machine I have no problem recommending it. Obviously for a real slim
    machine (in terms of resources) I wouldn't try to wedge it in there when there are decent lightweight Desktops/WMs available.

i can understand THAT, but i'd rather use something else instead of a window manager and set of tools that are more windowsy than windows.

actually i prefer the cli to any linux gui except for maybe xfce.

all my computers are dual core or better so it's not a performance preference. ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to Mro on Fri Oct 4 03:32:09 2013
    By: Mro to Chris on Sat Sep 21 2013 09:36 am

actually i prefer the cli to any linux gui except for maybe xfce.

all my computers are dual core or better so it's not a performance preferenc
    e.

Same here with regards to CLI for the most part. Unless I'm browsing or doing something that requires the gui (which is mainly at home), I'm usually at the command line.

Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS

---