• MySQL replication

From Inside Nothing@VERT/TCHAMBER to All on Wed Apr 6 03:41:00 2011
    If anyone is interested I have a self-healing script that's a cross of bash/php/sql for mysql nodes, it's an off the wall project I started, anyone else working with mysql slaves / master that I could bounce a question or two off off?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\
    Torture Chamber BBS : Towson, MD
    Inside Nothing, SysOp
    telnet://bbs.insidenothing.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Torture Chamber B.B.S. - 192.168.100.4
  • From Tracker1@VERT/TRN to Inside Nothing on Sun Apr 17 06:52:46 2011
    On 4/5/2011 8:41 PM, Inside Nothing wrote:
    If anyone is interested I have a self-healing script that's a cross of bash/php/sql for mysql nodes, it's an off the wall project I started, anyone else working with mysql slaves / master that I could bounce a question or two off off?

mySQL always irked me... every time I've used it (last under 5.0.1 or something like that). The ANSI (double-quote identifiers especially) support is a bit cumbersome, and doesn't work for all behaviors. Having to run in quirky mode for some applications, which expect older quirky behaviors.. etc.
    In the last 4.x version I tried the "binary" data-type did character-based dupe checking, if it was a unique field, so \x61 ('a') and \x41 ('A') would identify as the same byte. The ascii single-tick isn't the only valid escape character, so the curly single-quotes like a word processor gives you would break simple encoding, so add-slashes, or other hacks were just about required... Always a number of things that I never had near the issues with in MS-SQL, Firebird, or Postgres... though still probably less painful, even if unpredictable that Oracle is.

Honestly I'd rather just use Postgres, or if it's a new project would push towards MongoDB along with an RDBMS or alone depending on the needs of the project.

--
    Michael J. Ryan - http://tracker1.info/

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - telnet://roughneckbbs.com - www.roughneckbbs.com