• What was your first programming language?

From eric@VERT/PERIODIC to All on Thu Jul 18 22:30:00 2013
    Hello, I am Eric and I'm new to BBS. But I'm not really new to programming and I just had to ask what your first programming language was. (Sorry if this is a repost).

I personally learned Microsoft BASIC first, because that was the only language my DOS system could interpret. And it was just a good time.

For that reason many programmers think I'm "broken" because BASIC teaches horrible practice and sloppy technique.

So what did you guys first learn?

And for the record, I now know many languages, such as C, Java, Ruby, Python, and C++.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ A fun BBS with nothing to prove.
  • From eric@VERT/PERIODIC to All on Fri Jul 19 01:17:01 2013
    Hello, I am Eric and I'm new to BBS. But I'm not really new to programming and I just had to ask what your first programming language was. (Sorry if this is a repost).

I personally learned Microsoft BASIC first, because that was the only language my DOS system could interpret. And it was just a good time.

For that reason many programmers think I'm "broken" because BASIC teaches horrible practice and sloppy technique.

And for the record, I now know many languages, such as C, Java, Ruby, Python, and C++.
    ------------------------
    eric
    Periodic BBS - periodiccorp.com

---
  • From Draco@VERT/LOKISDEN to eric on Fri Jul 19 14:59:03 2013

Commodore BASIC on my old C=64. Then Apple BASIC on the Apple IIe. I've been dabbling in python, PHP, and now javascript.

--Draco

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ My Brand-New BBS
  • From eric@VERT/PERIODIC to Draco on Fri Jul 19 16:35:10 2013
    Re: Re: What was your first programming language?
    By: Draco to eric on Fri Jul 19 2013 10:59 am

Commodore BASIC on my old C=64. Then Apple BASIC on the Apple IIe. I've been dabbling in python, PHP, and now javascript.

--Draco

Yeah, didn't you just love BASIC? Those were some good times. Take those GOTO statements all the way to the bank!

Python is a great language; very intellegent, object-oriented, and just kinda makes sense. JS I don't have much experience with, but I'd like to share with you a little saying from the computer science world:
    "Any web application that has the potential of being written and implemented in JavaScript WILL eventually be written and implemented in JavaScript."

I always thought that was funny.

Good luck in your dabbling, and it's really good to be here on BBS! ------------------------
    eric

---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to eric on Fri Jul 19 02:07:53 2013
    Re: What was your first programming language?
    By: eric to All on Thu Jul 18 2013 09:17 pm

------------------------
    eric

Hi Eric. My name is Erich also. Nice to meet you. My first programming language
    was BASIC as well then jumped to Assembler and dabbled a little in Pascal. Never studied C++ but was told it's an easy language though. Never heard of Ruby before. BASIC also is slow and has to be compiled to Machine Language to execute correctly.

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place
    Surrey, B.C., Canada █ ♠ █
    the.millionaire@parkave.synchro.net

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Park Avenue Place - parkave.synchro.net
  • From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to Draco on Fri Jul 19 16:58:58 2013

For that reason many programmers think I'm "broken" because BASIC
    teaches horrible practice and sloppy technique.

Commodore BASIC on my old C=64. Then Apple BASIC on the Apple IIe. I've
    been dabbling in python, PHP, and now javascript.

--Draco

Yeah I learned C64 BASIC and ATARI BASIC then moved on to IBM-PC BASIC which had derivatives like GWBASIC and QUICKBASIC. I remember doing the PEEK and POKE
    registers in ATARI to perform some amazing feats. It was unreal having an ATARI
    800 which had a game system with a computer keyboard built-in. It was the first
    computer to eve have both that I have ever heard of at the time in my own opinion.

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place

---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to eric on Fri Jul 19 17:01:22 2013
    By: eric to Draco on Fri Jul 19 2013 12:35 pm

--Draco

Yeah, didn't you just love BASIC? Those were some good times. Take those GOTO statements all the way to the bank!

Python is a great language; very intellegent, object-oriented, and just kinda makes sense. JS I don't have much experience with, but I'd like to share with you a little saying from the computer science world:
    "Any web application that has the potential of being written and
    implemented in JavaScript WILL eventually be written and implemented in JavaScript."

I always thought that was funny.

Good luck in your dabbling, and it's really good to be here on BBS! ------------------------
    eric

I loved GOTO and IF THEN statements a lot and plus you can't forget that evil GOSUB which always causes you a hemorrhoid or two if wasn't correctly justified.

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to eric on Fri Jul 19 17:33:28 2013
    By: eric to All on Thu Jul 18 2013 18:30:00

Hi and welcome. :)

My first programming language was also Microsoft BASIC on DOS (using QBASIC).

That could be, but for me, I went years in between doing Microsoft BASIC and what I started doing seriously, so I probably forgot the bad habits that BASIC started to teach me. I did a little bit of Microsoft BASIC when I was 12 years old but then didn't do any serious programming until I was about 20 years old and in college, when I started to learn C++. Now I'm pretty good with C++ and also have experience with PHP, JavaScript, Java, and Perl. I've also worked a bit with C# and Python.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion BBS - digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to eric on Fri Jul 19 17:34:41 2013
    By: eric to Draco on Fri Jul 19 2013 12:35:10

Someone I know once joked that he wanted a language with a "come-from" statement. :P

Nightfox

---
  • From eric@VERT/PERIODIC to Nightfox on Fri Jul 19 18:25:21 2013
    By: Nightfox to eric on Fri Jul 19 2013 01:34 pm

Someone I know once joked that he wanted a language with a "come-from" statement. :P
    Were that to happen, I would be so elated... Do I smell a new idea for an esoteric language a la LOLCODE?!
    ------------------------
    eric

---
  • From eric@VERT/PERIODIC to The Millionaire on Fri Jul 19 18:27:26 2013
    By: The Millionaire to eric on Fri Jul 19 2013 01:01 pm

I loved GOTO and IF THEN statements a lot and plus you can't forget that evi GOSUB which always causes you a hemorrhoid or two if wasn't correctly justified.

I still have nightmares from GOSUB. Years later. Bad times, those were.

I think many programmers have been driven to drink from the panic that ensues from one of those classic BASIC interpreter errors.
    ------------------------
    eric

---
  • From Lab Rat@VERT/TOXIC to eric on Sat Jul 20 16:20:30 2013
    By: eric to Nightfox on Fri Jul 19 2013 14:25:21

Were that to happen, I would be so elated... Do I smell a new idea for an esoteric language a la LOLCODE?!

I was only reading about LOLCODE the other day (did someone mention it on Dove?). I do enjoy theoretical, proof of principle things like that.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Toxic Laboratory BBS - Birmingham, UK - toxicbbs.com
  • From eric@VERT/PERIODIC to Lab Rat on Sun Jul 21 22:37:20 2013
    By: Lab Rat to eric on Sat Jul 20 2013 12:20 pm

Esoteric languates are the greatest things, in my opinion. You should look them up sometime, they really make programming kind of a fun joke, especially in a field where people take things so serously.

------------------------
    eric

---
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to eric on Sun Jul 21 23:14:05 2013
    By: eric to Lab Rat on Sun Jul 21 2013 06:37 pm

Subject: Re: What was your first programming language?
    @VIA: PERIODIC
    @MSGID: <51EC8CD0.15.dove-program@periodiccorp.com>
    @REPLY: <51EA727E.1272.dove-prg@toxicbbs.com>
    @TZ: c1e0
    By: Lab Rat to eric on Sat Jul 20 2013 12:20 pm

Esoteric languates are the greatest things, in my opinion. You should look t up sometime, they really make programming kind of a fun joke, especially in field where people take things so serously.

------------------------
    eric

eep ork oop ah ah

"Practise safe Lunch, Use a Condiment"

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Three Stooges Gentlemens Club - Las Vegas, Nv - tsgc.dyndns.org
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Corey on Mon Jul 22 01:36:40 2013
    By: Corey to eric on Sun Jul 21 2013 19:14:05

eep ork oop ah ah

Jetsons.. :P

Nightfox

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Nightfox on Mon Jul 22 23:33:16 2013
    By: Nightfox to eric on Fri Jul 19 2013 01:34 pm

By: eric to Draco on Fri Jul 19 2013 12:35:10

It already exists: INTERCAL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INTERCAL_programming_language#Control_structures

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #47:
    Synchronet directory naming (i.e. ctrl, exec, data) was suggested by S. Deppe. Norco, CA WX: 79.4°F, 52.0% humidity, 0 mph N wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Wed Jul 24 01:27:58 2013
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Mon Jul 22 2013 19:33:16

Someone I know once joked that he wanted a language with a "come-from"
    statement. :P

It already exists: INTERCAL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INTERCAL_programming_language#Control_struct ures

heh.. I like it. :)

Nightfox

---
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to eric on Fri Jul 26 02:43:34 2013
    By: eric to All on Thu Jul 18 2013 09:17 pm

Hello, I am Eric and I'm new to BBS. But I'm not really new to programming a nd I just had to ask what your first programming language was.

Hi Eric,
    I never became a great programmer, but was exposed to several languages over the years. I started out using DECB Basic on the Color Computer 2. I then got a Coco 3 and moved up to OS-9 and used Basic09 which was great. You could 'compile' it to an icode language and run it the resulting program with a tool called runb.

Around the same time I got exposed to GWbasic and later Quickbasic. Didn't do much with them, but I recall QBasic looking pretty neat. It was similar to Basic09 in that it seemed like a mix of Basic with a little Pascal and had real control structures (discouraging goto).

In my early 20's I started tooling around a bit with Java, C and C++ with most of my experience with Java. There's a lot to recommend all of them. I don't feel any shame in basic. It's an excellent gateway into the programming world IMO. I think that's what's lacking a bit today. Most languages (even the scripting was) can be pretty intimidating to newcomers.

I'm working on Python now.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS
    telnet://bbs.dmine.net

The Programmers' SIG @ DelphiForums
    http://www.delphiforums.com/prosig

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From eric@VERT/PERIODIC to Chris on Sun Jul 28 04:50:47 2013
    By: Chris to eric on Thu Jul 25 2013 10:43 pm

You'll have to let me know how the Python goes. I've been interested on learning Python but I figured I'd tackle Ruby first because it's kind of the gateway to some of the non-C-related languages (regardless of the fact that the Ruby interpreter is implemented in C.)

Python seems really nice, and I hear it's resource efficient, so that makes it a good thing for us low-level folks :)

------------------------
    eric

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to eric on Mon Jul 29 23:34:20 2013
    By: eric to Chris on Sun Jul 28 2013 00:50:47

Python seems really nice, and I hear it's resource efficient, so that makes it a good thing for us low-level folks :)

I've used Python a little bit (not very extensively), but even with my little experience with it, I like it. Python has a fairly good standard library, and I think Python is fairly easy to read (thanks to forcing you to maintain a standard level of indentation). One thing I read about Python a few years ago was that they made some breaking changes in version 3 of Python, so many Python 2.x scripts would be incompatible with Python 3.x. But it has been a few years since I read that, so it's probably not as much of a problem anymore. If you do any new Python development, it should be with Python 3.x.

Nightfox

---
  • From Draco@VERT/LOKISDEN to Nightfox on Tue Jul 30 03:36:26 2013
    By: eric to Chris on Sun Jul 28 2013 00:50:47

I've used Python a little bit (not very extensively), but even with my little experience with it, I like it. Python has a fairly good standard library, and I think Python is fairly easy to read (thanks to forcing you
    to maintain a standard level of indentation). One thing I read about
    Python a few years ago was that they made some breaking changes in version
    3 of Python, so many Python 2.x scripts would be incompatible with Python 3.x. But it has been a few years since I read that, so it's probably not
    as much of a problem anymore. If you do any new Python development, it should be with Python 3.x.

They have scripts, that for the most part, translates a 2.x to 3.x code.

--Draco

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Loki's Den BBS - lokisdenbbs.com
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to Nightfox on Thu Aug 1 02:48:03 2013
    By: Nightfox to eric on Mon Jul 29 2013 07:34 pm

I think Python is fairly easy to read (thanks to forcing you to maintain a standard level of indentation). One thing I read about Python a few years a
    go
    was that they made some breaking changes in version 3 of Python, so many Pyt
    hon
    2.x scripts would be incompatible with Python 3.x. But it has been a few ye
    ars
    since I read that, so it's probably not as much of a problem anymore. If yo
    u
    do any new Python development, it should be with Python 3.x.

Nightfox

From what I've read thus far (I can't speak from experience) they have ported many of the oft used libraries to v3, but yeah you are right. There is quite a bit of incompatibility between the two versions. The way I understand it, OO was basically shoehorned into the earlier version while Version 3 is a complete rewrite in how objects (and I'm sure other types in general) are handled.

I've decided to just start by learning version 3 although from a pragmatic standpoint, it might not be the best idea since so much of the existing code is in V2.X. I'll go back and learn the older stuff as I go, but at the rate of version 3's adoption I'm guessing most people might want to go about it the other way.

Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS

---
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to eric on Thu Aug 1 02:50:55 2013
    By: eric to Chris on Sun Jul 28 2013 12:50 am

You'll have to let me know how the Python goes. I've been interested on learning Python but I figured I'd tackle Ruby first because it's kind of the gateway to some of the non-C-related languages (regardless of the fact that
    the
    Ruby interpreter is implemented in C.)

Python seems really nice, and I hear it's resource efficient, so that makes
    it
    a good thing for us low-level folks :)

------------------------
    eric

Hi Eric,
    I'll be making notes as I go along, so I'm hoping to post some of that here and on my web forum assuming I can shape it into something people can use.

Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS

---
  • From eric@VERT/PERIODIC to Chris on Sat Aug 3 03:53:40 2013
    By: Chris to eric on Wed Jul 31 2013 10:50 pm

By: eric to Chris on Sun Jul 28 2013 12:50 am

You'll have to let me know how the Python goes. I've been interested on learning Python but I figured I'd tackle Ruby first because it's kind of gateway to some of the non-C-related languages (regardless of the fact th
    the
    Ruby interpreter is implemented in C.)

Python seems really nice, and I hear it's resource efficient, so that mak
    it
    a good thing for us low-level folks :)

------------------------
    eric

Hi Eric,
    I'll be making notes as I go along, so I'm hoping to post some of that here on my web forum assuming I can shape it into something people can use.

Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS

That's really kind of you... Post them when you get them done and I'm sure I'll read them. Python 3 looks interesting, especially giving the new handling of software objects.

Anybody out there do Ruby? I kinda have a soft spot for the pragmatic language from Japan.
    ------------------------
    Eric Lujan
    Owner and Sysop - Periodic BBS - periodiccorp.com

---
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to eric on Thu Aug 8 04:45:01 2013
    By: eric to Chris on Fri Aug 02 2013 11:53 pm

That's really kind of you... Post them when you get them done and I'm sure I
    'll
    read them. Python 3 looks interesting, especially giving the new handling of software objects.

Anybody out there do Ruby? I kinda have a soft spot for the pragmatic langua
    ge
    from Japan.
    ------------------------
    Eric Lujan

So far (and this is a limited sample size) it feels pretty comfortable as a language. I'm only in the early stages of the book I'm working with, but having done varying amounts a Java, Perl, Shell, Basic and a few others (C/C++ in small doses), nothing feels to far out there even with the lack off curly braces and the position dependance.

Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS

---
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to eric on Thu Aug 8 04:47:50 2013

Anybody out there do Ruby? I kinda have a soft spot for the pragmatic langua
    ge from Japan.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add:
    I would LOVE to learn Ruby also (as I would a few other languages). My focus on Python as well as learning more Unix/Linux Admin stuff (my day job) limits me, but yeah Ruby's a name I've heard over the years and would love to get my hands on it, even if just a little.

Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS

---
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to Chris on Thu Aug 8 04:41:46 2013
    By: Chris to eric on Thu Aug 08 2013 12:47 am

Subject: What was your first programming language?
    @VIA: DMINE
    @MSGID: <520322F6.1774.dove-prg@dmine.net>
    @REPLY: <51FCA8F4.27.dove-program@periodiccorp.com>
    @TZ: c12c

Anybody out there do Ruby? I kinda have a soft spot for the pragmatic lan
    ge from Japan.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add:
    I would LOVE to learn Ruby also (as I would a few other languages). My focus Python as well as learning more Unix/Linux Admin stuff (my day job) limits m but yeah Ruby's a name I've heard over the years and would love to get my ha on it, even if just a little.

Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS

I would have liked to know pascal.
    but she moved away before I got brave enoght

---
  • From eric@VERT/PERIODIC to Corey on Fri Aug 9 03:36:30 2013
    By: Corey to Chris on Thu Aug 08 2013 12:41 am

If you all want to learn Ruby, look up _why's (poignant) guide to ruby.

It's really good. Strangely written, but enjoyable.

------------------------
    Eric Lujan

---
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to eric on Fri Aug 9 11:25:31 2013
    By: eric to Corey on Thu Aug 08 2013 11:36 pm

Subject: What was your first programming language?
    @VIA: PERIODIC
    @MSGID: <52048DEE.32.dove-program@periodiccorp.com>
    @REPLY: <52034BBA.1682.doveprg@tsgc.synchro.net>
    @TZ: c1e0

If you all want to learn Ruby, look up _why's (poignant) guide to ruby.

It's really good. Strangely written, but enjoyable.

------------------------
    Eric Lujan

ooohhhh, ruby, dont take your love to town.

---
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to Corey on Sun Aug 11 00:44:52 2013

I would have liked to know pascal.
    but she moved away before I got brave enoght

LOL, same here. I explored her briefly at times, but always wound up getting P-blocked.

Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS

---
  • From LaRRy LaGoMoRpH@VERT/GRUDGEDU to eric on Mon Apr 7 03:58:16 2014
    By: eric to All on Thu Jul 18 2013 06:30 pm

I've taken a slightly different path with regards to programming, and I took 20 years off, but my first programming language was Hypertalk on the Macintosh. Anyhow, I don't know if anyone ever used Hypercard back in the day. my dad worked for apple thru 84-94 and i used to get a few CD-ROMs that would have all the site licensed software for Apple as well as employee Applelink acess which allowed me to really tinker with stuff I had no right to be messing with. but hypercard was my favorite, because i could make my own stuff in it. it didn't give you much low level access, but that wasn't the point.

i remember i could make a simple game with graphics and a user interface during study hall at school. people say that if hypercard had figured out to add network connectivity between the apps, it could have been what is now our World Wide Web. You could draw in it, program, add UI elements, build simple databases.

anyhow, no one took hypercard seriously and i still don't think there's anything out there like it. for some reason, i thought the lessons i learned in hypercard wouldn't really apply to other programming, and while nothing is that simple, squeezing something more complicated out of something that is pretty simple or figuring out what somebody else did to do that.

i only remember one piece of hypercard code, and it was the piece of code that let me take my games from just using animations to being able to interrupt them and be able to interact with the objects as they were moving :

if the click then click the clicklock

it's not solving the davinci code, but i defnitely had my own version of wack-a-mole.

fast forward to 4 months ago, very little coding done in the last 20 years, i start up synchronet and start poking around in the javascript, and now i can do a lot with it. i think anyone who can program and uses synchronet should learn javascript even if they're not into the web. that's why i learned it, and now i found out it's useful for other stuff as well. i was dreading coding after taking so much time off, but once i got familiar with what i was working with relative ease. i am learning some more stuff now on codeacademy and flying through it, although i'm sure i'll need to reference all that stuff again when I need to actually sit down and start working on this next project, which i'm gonna have to use PHP for.

the hardest part for me about getting back into it is not so much the logic, but getting the separate pieces to go together. because i learned on
    hypercard which had a lot of pieces built in to make something complex seem simple. that's why i liked learning javascript by tinkering with synchronet, because really there aren't massive amounts of libraries to learn and there are plenty of people doing javascript stuff on the web. you can do something in synchronet that people will think is unique. i think if i had started javascript with some sort of intent of doing something cool on the web i would have gotten annoyed, and i probably wouldn't have bothered to get back into code if i did because i'm not a huge web guy, as many BBS guys aren't.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ FutureLand www.grudgemirror.com OR telnet grudgedu.synchr
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to eric on Wed Apr 9 14:04:22 2014
    By: eric to All on Thu Jul 18 2013 06:30 pm

Borderland PASCAL 6.0 DOS was my first language I took in college (95). Before that, Atari BASIC and a little GW-BASIC, but that was just me tinkering, never got a full grasp of the language.

Oh, in gradeschool (7th) I worked with Apple Logo, and in highschool we had Commodore 128s and did a lot of BASIC coding.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Shodan's Core - shodan.synchro.net:23 & :2323