• OpenDoors Toolkit

From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to All on Sun Dec 27 00:22:26 2015
    I'm attempting to compiling my C++ code using a DOS 16-bit compiler. What compiler can I use to compile my source using the OpenDoors 6.2 door toolkit?
    I have a Win32 and Linux version of my door Legion, I'm needing a DOS 16-bit version. It's been decades since I've used DOS except for DOSEMU and DOSBOX.
    I was thinking I could possibly compile my code in DOSEMU given I find a compiler with all the include files in it for C++.

Sincerely,
    Jon Justvig

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ vintagebbsing.com:81
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Jon Justvig on Sun Dec 27 00:55:57 2015
    Re: OpenDoors Toolkit
    By: Jon Justvig to All on Sat Dec 26 2015 19:22:26

I'm attempting to compiling my C++ code using a DOS 16-bit compiler. What compiler can I use to compile my source using the OpenDoors 6.2 door toolkit? I have a Win32 and Linux version of my door Legion, I'm needing a DOS 16-bit version. It's been decades since I've used DOS except for DOSEMU and DOSBOX. I was thinking I could possibly compile my code in DOSEMU given I find a compiler with all the include files in it for C++.

A few years ago, I did a search for a modern C++ compiler for DOS, and one that I found was Open Watcom:
    http://www.openwatcom.org
    That page says their current release is from 2010, which can already be considered a bit old now (and wouldn't support the latest C++ standards).. However, considering it's DOS, I suppose a compiler from 2010 isn't too bad. :) I haven't tried OpenDoors with it though, so I don't know how well it will work with OpenDoors.

Considering that it's (probably) a different compiler than you've been using so far, and considering it's 5 years old, I suppose there's a chance that you might have to update parts of your code so it will compile with Open Watcom (and you'd want to make sure it still compiles with your usual compiler too).

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Jon Justvig on Sun Dec 27 04:54:31 2015
    By: Jon Justvig to All on Sat Dec 26 2015 07:22 pm

I'm attempting to compiling my C++ code using a DOS 16-bit compiler. What compiler can I use to compile my source using the OpenDoors 6.2 door toolkit?
    I have a Win32 and Linux version of my door Legion, I'm needing a DOS 16-bit version. It's been decades since I've used DOS except for DOSEMU and DOSBOX.
    I was thinking I could possibly compile my code in DOSEMU given I find a compiler with all the include files in it for C++.

I don't know for sure that they will work with OpenDoors 6.2, but you can try the latest 16-bit C compiler from Microsoft (Visual C++ 1.52). I actually have it available for download here on Vertrauen: ftp://vert.synchro.net/main/prog/msvc15.zip

Or Borland C++ v3.1:
    ftp://vert.synchro.net/main/prog/bc31.zip

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #36:
    Synchronet's Windows Control Panel is built with Borland C++ Builder.
    Norco, CA WX: 49.7°F, 16.0% humidity, 24 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to Nightfox on Sun Dec 27 07:11:59 2015
    By: Nightfox to Jon Justvig on Sat Dec 26 2015 07:55 pm

A few years ago, I did a search for a modern C++ compiler for DOS, and one
    that I found was Open Watcom:
    That page says their current release is from 2010, which can already be
    considered a bit old now (and wouldn't support the latest C++ standards).. However, considering it's DOS, I suppose a compiler from 2010 isn't too bad. :) I haven't tried OpenDoors with it though, so I don't know how well it will work with OpenDoors.

I tried Open Watcom and the docs felt like a novel, just trying to find simple instructions to find the compiler. I still have it, however, I didn't have success in compiling my source. I couldn't figure out how to link the ODoorW.lib. I'll give it another shot.

Considering that it's (probably) a different compiler than you've been using
    so far, and considering it's 5 years old, I suppose there's a chance that you might have to update parts of your code so it will compile with Open Watcom (and you'd want to make sure it still compiles with your usual compiler too).

Yeah, I'm used to Visual Studio and Code::Blocks which I have no problems using with Win32/Linux. One problem was finding the include files for C++ as well. I'll have to do some google searches and see what I can come up with. The thing with the compilers I use currently is that I didn't have to change any code. IIRC, I have compiled it for DOS 16-bit before, but it's been years. Wish I would have kept whatever it was, now I have to go digging. <grin>

Sincerely,
    Jon Justvig

---
  • From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to Digital Man on Sun Dec 27 07:22:26 2015
    By: Digital Man to Jon Justvig on Sat Dec 26 2015 11:54 pm

I don't know for sure that they will work with OpenDoors 6.2, but you can try the latest 16-bit C compiler from Microsoft (Visual C++ 1.52). I actually have it available for download here on Vertrauen: ftp://vert.synchro.net/main/prog/msvc15.zip

Or Borland C++ v3.1:

Thank you DM for the two links for the C++ compilers. Why, you may ask?
    A friend of mine has asked me to port it to 16-bit DOS. It'll be a mirable if I can do it. <grin>

Sincerely,
    Jon Justvig

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Jon Justvig on Sun Dec 27 19:11:05 2015
    By: Jon Justvig to Nightfox on Sun Dec 27 2015 02:11:59

I tried Open Watcom and the docs felt like a novel, just trying to find simple instructions to find the compiler. I still have it, however, I didn't have success in compiling my source. I couldn't figure out how to link the ODoorW.lib. I'll give it another shot.

One of the reasons I ended up using Open Watcom is that they have a relativey recent version of their C++ compiler for DOS - That means it supports fairly recent C++ standards and don't have to change your C++ code too much in order to compile with it. If you were to use an old version of Borland C++ or Visual C++ for DOS, those versions are old enough that you will probably have to change your code a bit because those older compilers don't recognize newer C++ standards. For instance, you may be including header files in a format like "#include <iostream>", without the .h filename extension (i.e., instead of <iostream.h>) and using namespaces, which were C++ features introduced (I believe) as part of the 1998 C++ standard.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Jon Justvig on Sun Dec 27 19:17:51 2015
    By: Jon Justvig to Nightfox on Sun Dec 27 2015 02:11:59

didn't have success in compiling my source. I couldn't figure out how to link the ODoorW.lib. I'll give it another shot.

I'm guessing the W in ODoorW.lib means it's the Windows version of the OpenDoors library. You wouldn't want to link against a Windows library when you're building your program for DOS. I imagine the OpenDoors library must have a DOS library to link with.

Nightfox

---
  • From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to Digital Man on Mon Dec 28 19:03:30 2015

For the Visual C++ 1.52 compiler, I believe I've used this one before to compile before. However, I don't know the command line to compile a cpp source and include the opendoor (ODOORL.LIB?) Could you give me an example?

Jon Justvig

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Jon Justvig on Mon Dec 28 18:36:40 2015
    By: Jon Justvig to Digital Man on Mon Dec 28 2015 02:03 pm

For the Visual C++ 1.52 compiler, I believe I've used this one before to compile before. However, I don't know the command line to compile a cpp source and include the opendoor (ODOORL.LIB?) Could you give me an example?

Usually it'd be something like this:
    cl myprogram.c somelib.lib

You might need more options (like "/Iinclude-path", but often not).

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #43:
    Synchronet added JavaScript suppport with v3.10a (2001).
    Norco, CA WX: 52.6°F, 48.0% humidity, 2 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to Digital Man on Mon Dec 28 21:40:43 2015

Not sure what to do at this point. I attempted to compile my program. While compiling Visual C++ 1.52 told me it couldn't find my C++ headers. I looked in the include directory and just found C headers. So I tried using headers from Open Watcom, that was a disaster. I'll give Borland C++ a try.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Jon Justvig on Mon Dec 28 19:57:37 2015
    Yeah, I'm used to Visual Studio and Code::Blocks which I have no problems using with Win32/Linux. One problem was finding the include files for C++ as well. I'll have to do some google searches and see what I can come up with. The thing with the compilers I use currently is that I didn't have
    to
    change any code. IIRC, I have compiled it for DOS 16-bit before, but
    it's
    been years. Wish I would have kept whatever it was, now I have to go digging. <grin>

I was curious about DOS C++ compilers and was doing a bit of searching and found DJGPP:
    http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
    http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/getting.html http://www.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2/readme.1st

I haven't tried DJGPP myself, but it sounds like it should be able to produce
    a DOS executable from C++. It looks like it's fairly recent (the zip files
    are from 2015), so it should hopefully be able to compile fairly modern C++ code. The documents also say it's based on a port of the GNU compiler tools, so if you've compiled your door for Linux (probably using the GNU tools),
    then hopefully it should be fairly easy to build them for DOS with DJGPP.

Nightfox

---
  • From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to Digital Man on Mon Dec 28 22:39:18 2015

Or Borland C++ v3.1:

Only one error so far with Borland C++:

Fatal c:\temp\include\crtdefs.h 40: Error directive: ERROR: Only Win32 target supported!

What could be causing this?

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Jon Justvig on Tue Dec 29 03:03:05 2015
    By: Jon Justvig to Digital Man on Mon Dec 28 2015 04:40 pm

Not sure what to do at this point. I attempted to compile my program.
    While compiling Visual C++ 1.52 told me it couldn't find my C++ headers. I looked in the include directory and just found C headers.

Hm... many C++ headers are named just like C headers (*.h). Without more details (e.g. filenames), can't really be of more help.

So I tried using
    headers from Open Watcom, that was a disaster. I'll give Borland C++ a try.

Okay, good luck!

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #31:
    The second most prolific contributor to Synchronet is Stephen Hurd (Deuce). Norco, CA WX: 44.1°F, 87.0% humidity, 4 mph W wind, 0.02 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Jon Justvig on Tue Dec 29 03:04:32 2015
    By: Jon Justvig to Digital Man on Mon Dec 28 2015 05:39 pm

Or Borland C++ v3.1:

Only one error so far with Borland C++:

Fatal c:\temp\include\crtdefs.h 40: Error directive: ERROR: Only Win32 target supported!

What could be causing this?

temp\include\crtdefs.h is for use with Windows programs. But the compiler you're using (bc++ 3.1) is for DOS programs, so they're not compatibler with eachother. Where did that crtdefs.h come from?

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #51:
    Answers to Frequently Asked Questions: http://wiki.synchro.net/faq:index
    Norco, CA WX: 44.1°F, 87.0% humidity, 4 mph W wind, 0.02 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to Digital Man on Tue Dec 29 05:46:43 2015

temp\include\crtdefs.h is for use with Windows programs. But the compiler you're using (bc++ 3.1) is for DOS programs, so they're not compatibler with eachother. Where did that crtdefs.h come from?

Here's my main, perhaps it was caused by this:

#ifdef ODPLAT_WIN32
    int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
    LPSTR lpszCmdLine, int nCmdShow){
    #else
    int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
    #endif

/* Add local variables here. */

#ifdef ODPLAT_WIN32
    od_control.od_cmd_show = nCmdShow;
    od_parse_cmd_line(lpszCmdLine);
    #else
    od_parse_cmd_line(argc, argv);
    #endif

But, I'm not sure...

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Jon Justvig on Tue Dec 29 14:03:12 2015
    I found out Borland C++ doesn't carry all the C++ headers
    either, just (*.h). Not sure what I can do.

C++ header filenames without the .h didn't become part of the standard until
    (I believe) 1998. Borland C++ 3.1 came out quite a while before that (around 1992, I think), so it has the earlier header files with the .h filename extensions.

DJGPP looks like it could be
    good. It seems to be newer and giving me a little more feedback in the debugger.

Hopefully that will work better for what you need.

Nightfox

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Jon Justvig on Tue Dec 29 05:03:02 2015
    By: Jon Justvig to Digital Man on Tue Dec 29 2015 12:46 am

Here's my main, perhaps it was caused by this:

#ifdef ODPLAT_WIN32
    int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
    LPSTR lpszCmdLine, int nCmdShow){
    #else
    int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
    #endif

/* Add local variables here. */

#ifdef ODPLAT_WIN32
    od_control.od_cmd_show = nCmdShow;
    od_parse_cmd_line(lpszCmdLine);
    #else
    od_parse_cmd_line(argc, argv);
    #endif

But, I'm not sure...

The question I asked was: Where did that crtdefs.h come from?

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #4:
    Synchronet version 3 for Win32 development began in 1999.
    Norco, CA WX: 46.4°F, 48.0% humidity, 17 mph SW wind, 0.02 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to Digital Man on Tue Dec 29 07:27:41 2015
    My mistake, that header file came from Visual Studio v9. I thought I could use header files from other sources I was using weren't working. Now realizing that was a mistake. I'm going to try to try BC++ 3.1 from scratch.

---
  • From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to Digital Man on Tue Dec 29 07:49:07 2015
    By: Jon Justvig to Digital Man on Mon Dec 28 2015 04:40 pm

Okay, good luck!

Thanks. <grin> I found out Borland C++ doesn't carry all the C++ headers either, just (*.h). Not sure what I can do. DJGPP looks like it could be good. It seems to be newer and giving me a little more feedback in the debugger.

---
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Nightfox on Tue Dec 29 18:39:33 2015
    By: Nightfox to Jon Justvig on Mon Dec 28 2015 14:57:37

I haven't tried DJGPP myself, but it sounds like it should be able to produce a DOS executable from C++. It looks like it's fairly recent (the zip files are from 2015), so it should hopefully be able to compile fairly modern C++ code. The documents also say it's based on a port of the GNU compiler tools, so if you've compiled your door for Linux (probably using the GNU tools), then hopefully it should be fairly easy to build them for DOS with DJGPP.

It's been a long time, but I've used DJGPP in the past. Never had any problems with it back then in taking care of the standards... It was always nice to be running gcc on a DOS box, too. ;)

-D/K

---
    Borg Burgers: We do it our way; your way is irrelevant.
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron BBS telnet://tinfoil.synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Khelair on Tue Dec 29 21:14:08 2015
    It's been a long time, but I've used DJGPP in the past. Never had any problems with it back then in taking care of the standards... It was always nice to be running gcc on a DOS box, too. ;)

:) It sounded like DJGPP can cross-compile, too (so theoretically, perhaps you could run the Win32 or Linux version and have it build a DOS executable). I like that the GNU tools have been ported to so many platforms (including DOS) though.

Nightfox

---
  • From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to Nightfox on Tue Dec 29 22:29:29 2015
    C++ header filenames without the .h didn't become part of the standard until (I believe) 1998. Borland C++ 3.1 came out quite a while before that (around 1992, I think), so it has the earlier header files with the .h filename extensions.

I found this page on DJGPP regarding .lib files:

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/v2faq/faq17_5.html

As far as I understand, I won't be able to use .lib files with it Is there a work around?

Hopefully that will work better for what you need.

Not yet. I'll keep working to get the whole thing compiled and running if possible. I might need to change some code around, more than likely.

Sincerely,
    Jon Justvig

---
  • From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to Nightfox on Wed Dec 30 00:09:51 2015
    :) It sounded like DJGPP can cross-compile, too (so theoretically, perhaps you could run the Win32 or Linux version and have it build a DOS executable). I like that the GNU tools have been ported to so many platforms (including DOS) though.

If I could figure out how to add the ODOORL.LIB library file I might be doing all right. I tried renaming it to a static library file libdoor.a, it sat there for awhile but just gave me errors. Of course I tried just ODOORL.LIB. Not too sure yet.

---
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to Nightfox on Tue Dec 29 21:43:05 2015
    By: Nightfox to Jon Justvig on Mon Dec 28 2015 02:57 pm

I haven't tried DJGPP myself, but it sounds like it should be able to produce
    a DOS executable from C++. It looks like it's fairly recent (the zip files

It does produce a DOS executable, but not a 16-bit one whih is what was requested.

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    Mro is an idiot. Please ignore him, we keep hoping he'll go away.
    ■ Synchronet ■ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Jon Justvig on Tue Dec 29 22:48:50 2015
    By: Jon Justvig to Nightfox on Tue Dec 29 2015 17:29:29

I found this page on DJGPP regarding .lib files:

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/v2faq/faq17_5.html

As far as I understand, I won't be able to use .lib files with it Is there a work around?

Hmm, that definitely sounds like an issue. I haven't used DJGPP before, so I'm not sure.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Deuce on Tue Dec 29 22:52:46 2015
    By: Deuce to Nightfox on Tue Dec 29 2015 16:43:05

I haven't tried DJGPP myself, but it sounds like it should be able to
    produce
    a DOS executable from C++. It looks like it's fairly recent (the zip
    files

It does produce a DOS executable, but not a 16-bit one whih is what was requested.

Yeah, I knew he was requesting something to produce a 16-bit executable, but didn't immediately see that DJGPP doesn't produce that. :(

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Jon Justvig on Tue Dec 29 22:53:41 2015
    Re: DJGPP (was Re: OpenDoors Toolkit)
    By: Jon Justvig to Nightfox on Tue Dec 29 2015 19:09:51

:) It sounded like DJGPP can cross-compile, too (so theoretically,
    perhaps you could run the Win32 or Linux version and have it build a
    DOS executable). I like that the GNU tools have been ported to so many
    platforms (including DOS) though.

If I could figure out how to add the ODOORL.LIB library file I might be doing all right. I tried renaming it to a static library file libdoor.a, it sat there for awhile but just gave me errors. Of course I tried just ODOORL.LIB. Not too sure yet.

Deuce pointed out that DJGPP won't produce a 16-bit executable, so it sounds like DJGPP isn't the best solution anyway.. :/ I hope you can get it built with something else.

Nightfox

---
  • From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to Nightfox on Wed Dec 30 01:32:00 2015
    Nightfox wrote to Jon Justvig <=-

Deuce pointed out that DJGPP won't produce a 16-bit executable, so it sounds like DJGPP isn't the best solution anyway.. :/ I hope you can
    get it built with something else.

One less option I have here in regards to which C++ compiler I can use to produce a 16-bit executable. So, I'm not what I can do at this point. If it's possible, I want to figure it out or have it explained to me.

Sincerely,
    Jon Justvig

... What is mind? No matter! What is matter? Never mind! - Homer S.
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Jon Justvig on Wed Dec 30 03:05:14 2015
    Re: DJGPP (was Re: OpenDoors
    By: Jon Justvig to Nightfox on Tue Dec 29 2015 08:32 pm

Nightfox wrote to Jon Justvig <=-

Deuce pointed out that DJGPP won't produce a 16-bit executable, so it sounds like DJGPP isn't the best solution anyway.. :/ I hope you can get it built with something else.

One less option I have here in regards to which C++ compiler I can use to produce a 16-bit executable. So, I'm not what I can do at this point. If it's possible, I want to figure it out or have it explained to me.

It sounds like you need to either:

A. Raise your requirements of the target platform (e.g. support on 32-bit DOS or Windows), or:
    B. Lower the requirements of the source code (use only C++ source and libraries circa 1990's).

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #29:
    The COM I/O routines for Synchronet for DOS were written in ASM by Steve Deppe. Norco, CA WX: 46.6°F, 70.0% humidity, 0 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to Digital Man on Thu Dec 31 01:22:08 2015
    Re: DJGPP (was Re: OpenDoors
    By: Jon Justvig to Nightfox on Tue Dec 29 2015 08:32 pm

It sounds like you need to either:

A. Raise your requirements of the target platform (e.g. support on 32-bit DOS or Windows), or:
    B. Lower the requirements of the source code (use only C++ source and libraries circa 1990's).

Well, option A is not an option. I already have a 32-bit version of my door. So I'm going to go with option B and see if I can downgrade my code to work with the older source code. There weren't that many errors and I could probably manage if I put in some effort. Thanks for the time trying to figure this out with me. We can conclude this topic as SOLVED. <lol>

---
  • From Ed Vance@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Jon Justvig on Fri Jan 1 04:29:00 2016
    12-27-15 02:11 Jon Justvig wrote to Nightfox about OpenDoors Toolkit
    Howdy! Jon,

@MSGID: <567F9D4F.4.dove-program@vintagebbsing.com>
    @REPLY: <567F614D.2255.dove_dove-prg@digitaldistortionbbs.com>
    By: Nightfox to Jon Justvig on Sat Dec 26 2015 07:55 pm

A few years ago, I did a search for a modern C++ compiler for DOS, and one
    that I found was Open Watcom:
    That page says their current release is from 2010, which can already be
    considered a bit old now (and wouldn't support the latest C++
    standards).. However, considering it's DOS, I suppose a compiler from
    2010 isn't too bad. :) I haven't tried OpenDoors with it though, so I don't know how well it will work with OpenDoors.

I tried Open Watcom and the docs felt like a novel, just trying to find simple instructions to find the compiler. I still have it, however, I didn't have success in compiling my source. I couldn't figure out how
    to link the ODoorW.lib. I'll give it another shot.

I Lurk in the FREEDOS echo as well as this one.
    The folks in FREEDOS I'm sure could help You with the Watcom program.
    Going back in Lurking Mode.

... Have you checked your smoke detector batteries & Fire Ext, LATELY?!
    --- MultiMail/MS-DOS v0.49
    ■ Synchronet ■ Capitol City Online - telnet & http://cco.ath.cx - 502-875-8938
  • From Doctor Who@VERT/THE5THD to Jon Justvig on Tue Feb 23 22:09:22 2016
    You may find some really interesting info here on how to use GCC to compile DOS programs for 80386: http://nullprogram.com/blog/2014/12/09/

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The 5th Dimension: Beyond space AND time -- the5thd.synchro.net