• the LDS

From Matt Munson@VERT/INLANDUT to All on Tue Sep 23 02:54:00 2008
    Is the LDS church just a mix between Scientology and Christianity?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Inland Utopia - inlandut.servebbs.org
  • From Spiffwiggler@VERT/NEXXUS1 to Matt Munson on Tue Sep 23 10:10:00 2008
    Re: the LDS
    By: Matt Munson to All on Mon Sep 22 2008 22:54:00

No the LDS church is a totally different entity. LDS is a branch of the mormon church founded by Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. Scientology is founded my Mary Baker Eddie, and Chrisitianity is founded by the followers of the great JC. All three have a totally different belief system, although the LDS/Mormoms claim to believe in JC, there chief books offer teachings that contradict many thoughts and practices in the Holy Scriptures. No easy way to explain what Scientology believes. Best way to learn about all of the alternate religions (sub-sects of Christianity if you will, and I won't) is Kingdom of the Cults.

-Rev. Michael E. Washburn

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ SpiffWiggler BBS *telnet://nexxus1.synchro.net* Taunton, MA
  • From Mickey@VERT/TIME to Spiffwiggler on Tue Sep 23 11:42:00 2008
    Spiffwiggler wrote to Matt Munson <=-

By: Matt Munson to All on Mon Sep 22 2008 22:54:00

No the LDS church is a totally different entity. LDS is a branch of the mormon church founded by Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. Scientology is founded my Mary Baker Eddie, and Chrisitianity is founded by the
    followers of the great JC. All three have a totally different belief system, although the LDS/Mormoms claim to believe in JC, there chief
    books offer teachings that contradict many thoughts and practices in
    the Holy Scriptures. No easy way to explain what Scientology believes. Best way to learn about all of the alternate religions (sub-sects of Christianity if you will, and I won't) is Kingdom of the Cults.

"Kingdom of the Cults" sounds spooky to me. An old movie title,
    perhaps.

Mickey
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    ■ Synchronet ■ Time Warp of the Future BBS - Home of League 10 IBBS Games
  • From Captain Jack Harkness@VERT/TORCHWD to Spiffwiggler on Tue Sep 23 11:30:00 2008
    Spiffwiggler wrote to Matt Munson <=-

Scientology is founded my Mary Baker Eddie

Nope

Christian Science was founded by Mary Baker Eddie
    Scientology was founded by L. Ron Hubbard

These are two totally different religions that are unrelated. One of my closest friends is the daughter of Ross Lamareaux who helped Hubbard establish Scientology. My friend knew Hubbard quite well and refers to him as "The Big Red Menace."

... Contentsoftaglinemaysettleduringshipping.
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    ■ Synchronet ■ Torchwood Three BBS - torchwood-3.dyndns.org
  • From Angus McLeod@VERT/ANJO to Spiffwiggler on Tue Sep 23 17:21:00 2008
    By: Spiffwiggler to Matt Munson on Tue Sep 23 2008 06:10:00

although the LDS/Mormons claim to believe in JC, there chief books
    offer teachings that contradict many thoughts and practices in the Holy Scriptures.

Why is it that THEIR chief books are only "chief books" whereas YOUR chief books are "Holy Scriptures" complete with capitalization?

---
    Amarok: 17,473 tracks from 1,238 albums by 1,354 artists, but none playing.

■ Synchronet ■ Oh God! It's HIM again..... The guy from The ANJO BBS!
  • From The Shrink@VERT/CCBBS to Angus McLeod on Thu Oct 30 22:35:00 2008
    By: Angus McLeod to Spiffwiggler on Tue Sep 23 2008 01:21 pm

By: Spiffwiggler to Matt Munson on Tue Sep 23 2008 06:10:00

although the LDS/Mormons claim to believe in JC, there chief books
    offer teachings that contradict many thoughts and practices in the Holy Scriptures.

Why is it that THEIR chief books are only "chief books" whereas YOUR chief books are "Holy Scriptures" complete with capitalization?

That's a question that I, as a pagan, would LOVE to have answered. Why are
    only the mainstream Christian books "holy"? They are only holy to those who believe in them. For people of other religions there may be other holy books that are just as sacred to them.. Very frustrating to the rest of us.
    The Shrink
    Owner/Operator Crazy Castle Systems/NDOS
    BBS: Telnet://bbs.ndos.net:23
    MultiChat: Telnet://www.ndos.net:2323
    WebHosting: http://www.ndos.net

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Crazy Castle Systems BBS - telnet://bbs.ndos.net:23
  • From Cassandra Young@VERT/CCBBS to The Shrink on Thu Oct 30 23:31:00 2008
    By: The Shrink to Angus McLeod on Thu Oct 30 2008 05:35 pm

That's a question that I, as a pagan, would LOVE to have answered. Why are only the mainstream Christian books "holy"? They are only holy to those who believe in them. For people of other religions there may be other holy books that are just as sacred to them.. Very frustrating to the rest of us.
    The Shrink
    I have to agree with this! I was raised Lutheran and I never quite figured out why they felt the need to pick on and persecute every other religion out there. I mean, You would think in this day and age that people would be smart enough to say "You have your way, I have my way, lets just agree to disagree.", but it seem like that's too civalized. I've seen bumper-stickers that are "(pentical picture) Clergy." The people who have those have a tendancy to get their cars attacked, just for their religion. If it's ok for Christians to walk around with Jesus fishes and crosses everywhere in the known universe, why not Pagans? And, I would say something about religious holidays, but Y'all have already stolen the times for those. I mean, Look up your religious Holidays, then look up the pagan ones. I can guarentee the pagan ones came first. >.<

---
  • From The Shrink@VERT/CCBBS to Cassandra Young on Sun Nov 9 08:28:00 2008
    By: Cassandra Young to The Shrink on Thu Oct 30 2008 06:31 pm

By: The Shrink to Angus McLeod on Thu Oct 30 2008 05:35 pm

That's a question that I, as a pagan, would LOVE to have answered. Why ar only the mainstream Christian books "holy"? They are only holy to those w believe in them. For people of other religions there may be other holy bo that are just as sacred to them.. Very frustrating to the rest of us.
    The Shrink
    I have to agree with this! I was raised Lutheran and I never quite figured o why they felt the need to pick on and persecute every other religion out the I mean, You would think in this day and age that people would be smart enoug to say "You have your way, I have my way, lets just agree to disagree.", but seem like that's too civalized. I've seen bumper-stickers that are "(pentica picture) Clergy." The people who have those have a tendancy to get their car attacked, just for their religion. If it's ok for Christians to walk around with Jesus fishes and crosses everywhere in the known universe, why not Paga And, I would say something about religious holidays, but Y'all have already stolen the times for those. I mean, Look up your religious Holidays, then lo up the pagan ones. I can guarentee the pagan ones came first. >.<

I think you broke this forum.. Nobody's replied to >anything< here since you wrote that.. I agree with ya entirely though.

The Shrink
    Owner/Operator Crazy Castle Systems/NDOS
    BBS: Telnet://bbs.ndos.net:23
    MultiChat: Telnet://www.ndos.net:2323
    WebHosting: http://www.ndos.net

---