• Earth's atmosphere

From Michiel van der Vlist@2:280/5555 to Björn Felten on Sat Apr 27 14:11:12 2019
    Hello Björn,

On Saturday April 27 2019 09:54, you wrote to nathanael culver:

There's a a recent study or two which claim the earth is
    surrounded by a large hydrogen cloud (a geocrona) which extends
    out to about twice the radius of the moon's orbit.

Space is not a perfect vacuum. It contains a few atoms per m^3.

In intergalactic space. Interplanetary space in Earth orbit vicinity is less perfect. It nevertheless is a lot better than the vacuum in in the old vacuum tubes. Open one up on the moon and the gas would /stream/ out.

That does not mean that they belong to Earth's atmosphere, defined by
    the atoms and molecules that are retained by Earth's gravity.

"Gravity bound" is indeed a common definition used by astronomers.

Other definitions are in use as well, but by no definition generally accepted by the science community, the moon is within earth's atmosphere.

Cheers, Michiel

--- GoldED+/W32-MSVC 1.1.5-b20170303
    * Origin: http://www.vlist.org (2:280/5555)
  • From Björn Felten@2:203/2 to nathanael culver on Sat Apr 27 13:54:02 2019
    There's a a recent study or two which claim the earth is surrounded by a large hydrogen cloud (a geocrona) which extends out to about twice the radius of the moon's orbit.

Space is not a perfect vacuum. It contains a few atoms per m^3. That does not mean that they belong to Earth's atmosphere, defined by the atoms and molecules that are retained by Earth's gravity.

So if you count that as part of the earth's atmosphere,

You don't. If you do, the entire universe lies inside Earth's atmosphere.

https://bigthink.com

I'd take what's on that site with big scepticism. The article you linked to is full of errors and pseudoscience. I can only assume it goes for the rest of their articles as well then.

--- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; sv-SE; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101125
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)
  • From nathanael culver@3:712/886 to Björn Felten on Sun Apr 28 12:22:10 2019
    I'd take what's on that site with big scepticism. The article you linked to is full of errors and pseudoscience. I can only assume it goes

I'm not endorsing the content, merely linking to it. It has been widely reported elsewhere, however, not just in the article I linked to, and the following is oft-quoted in those reports:

"Igor Baliukin of Russia's Space Research Institute, the lead author of the study on the subject, explained that "the moon flies through Earth's atmosphere.""

Perhaps that's a bad translation from Russian, but if the lead scientist
    said, "the moon flies through Earth's atmosphere", then I take that to mean there's a legitimate scientific discussion to be had on the topic.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: *HUMONGOUS* BBS (jenandcal.familyds.org:2323) (3:712/886)
  • From Björn Felten@2:203/2 to nathanael culver on Sun Apr 28 06:59:04 2019
    "Igor Baliukin of Russia's Space Research Institute, the lead author of
    the
    study on the subject, explained that "the moon flies through Earth's atmosphere.""

Perhaps that's a bad translation from Russian, but if the lead scientist said,

Lead author of a study is not the same as the lead scientist.

there's a legitimate scientific discussion to be had on the topic.

None that I'm aware of. There seems to still be a general consensus about the gravity "clause", i.e. when atoms are closer to the Moon than to Earth (gravity wise), they will be captured by the Moon's gravity and become part of the Moon's atmosphere.

YMMV...

--- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; sv-SE; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101125
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)
  • From nathanael culver@3:712/886 to Björn Felten on Sun Apr 28 20:38:11 2019
    None that I'm aware of. There seems to still be a general consensus about the gravity "clause", i.e. when atoms are closer to the Moon than
    to Earth (gravity wise), they will be captured by the Moon's gravity and

This doesn't preclude the moon *and* its atmosphere from being entirely encompassed by the earth's atmosphere.

• From nathanael culver@3:712/886 to nathanael culver on Mon Apr 29 03:25:26 2019
    This doesn't preclude the moon *and* its atmosphere from being entirely encompassed by the earth's atmosphere.

Rereading the article, it would seem the hydrogen cloud is in roughly the
    shape of a Cassini oval (due to solar winds?), with the earth located at the inner focus.

I also take the words, "extends up to 630,000km away," to reference the distance to the further edge of the oval; the nearer edge would therefore be significantly closer, but whether it lies inside L3 I don't know.

Given that Lagrange L2 lies at a distance of about 450,000km from earth
    center, then both the moon and any atmosphere accompanying it would pass entirely within the hydrogen cloud at least as the moon passes between earth and the further edge.

*IF*, therefore, one were to define earth's atmosphere as inclusive of the hydrogen cloud then it would seem that, for at least a part of its orbit, the moon does lie within the earth's "atmosphere".

For flat earthers and lunar landing skeptics, this does not mean the
    distance to the moon has changed, but only suggests that earth's atmosphere
    may extend significantly further out than was previously considered.