• MTAFile Update

From Black Panther@21:1/186 to All on Sun Apr 28 02:55:32 2019
    Hi Everyone,

Shortly, there will be a new version of MTAFile released to the public. I've been testing some of the changes, and everything seems to be working smoothly. (at least until I just said something...)

The new version comes with a slight bonus. I know that got people attention. :)

With this current version, I am also releasing the source code. Now, keep in mind, this is the program that I was re-teaching myself how to code again... There are lots of things that could be done to optimize the program, and make it run better. (No laughing when you look at it...)

I also have the code on github, if you'd like to grab it from there. It's at https://github.com/DRPanther/MTAFile I'll try to keep that up to date with any changes I make as well.

Why am I doing this now?

Well, there have been some major changes in my personal life that have caused me to do some soul-diving. While I have the time right now to work on this project, there are other things that have been taking priority.

I've also gotten back into my story writing. At this point, with 7 short stories written, and being edited, and trying to re-write my novel, I don't want to try to balance writing fiction, and coding. This doesn't mean that I'm giving up coding, just not focusing on it at this time.

Why didn't I do this earlier?

Basically, as I said, this is the program that I was re-learning how to code with. The code, in my opinion, is a mess. I was ashamed to have anyone see how it was written. It has been optimized some, but is still a mess...

How did this message end up being an interview?

I'm not really sure. It must be my split personality or something... :)

In all honesty, I had wanted to release the code a lot earlier, but didn't want to hear how badly written it was. Then I figured, "Who cares what others think of it. It works, right?"

Anyone who wants to, can make any changes/updates to the code they wish. The only thing I ask, if you make changes, please send me a copy of what you did. Mainly, this is my sense of curiosity, but will also help me in the future to see what changes can be made in my other programs.

Also, just an FYI, I also plan on releasing my other programs into open source as well. I've been trying to comment the code as best I can, so you'll have some idea as to what I was thinking... :)

Remember, no laughing at my coding...

If you've read this far, thank you. These are your bonus:

"Two guys walk into a bar, the third one ducks."

"I had a dream I was a muffler last night. I woke up exhausted!"

"5/4 of people admit that they are bad with fractions."

"Why do chicken coops only have two doors? Because if they had four, they would be chicken sedans!"

---

Black Panther
    A.K.A. - Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS
    telnet://bbs.castlerockbbs.com
    http://www.castlerockbbs.com
    The sparrows are flying again...

... If this is tourist season, why can't I shoot any?

___ MultiMail/Linux v0.51

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Castle Rock BBS - bbs.castlerockbbs.com (21:1/186)
  • From apam@21:1/125 to Black Panther on Sun Apr 28 19:25:39 2019
    In all honesty, I had wanted to release the code a lot earlier, but
    didn't want to hear how badly written it was. Then I figured, "Who
    cares what others think of it. It works, right?"

For what it's worth, I think a lot of people feel like that people may
    judge their coding skills, I know I do. Maybe they do judge them, but
    I've never had anyone put me down for it, though I have had some
    constructive criticism, and even patches.

I read somewhere that most of opensource code out there is pretty
    terrible, but I figure, someone has spent their free time trying to do something to help others, and it works, what's the harm?

Good luck with the writing :)

Andrew

--- MagickaBBS v0.12alpha (Linux/x86_64)
    * Origin: The Fat Sandwich - sandwich.hopto.org:2023 (21:1/125)
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to apam on Sun Apr 28 03:33:52 2019
    On 28 Apr 2019, apam said the following...

For what it's worth, I think a lot of people feel like that people may judge their coding skills, I know I do. Maybe they do judge them, but
    I've never had anyone put me down for it, though I have had some constructive criticism, and even patches.

That's what I hope will happen with this as well. If someone wanted to change something or add more features, it would be great. I've actually run out of additions and changes I want to do with this one, and wanted to see if
    someone else had anything to contribute to it. :)

I read somewhere that most of opensource code out there is pretty terrible, but I figure, someone has spent their free time trying to do something to help others, and it works, what's the harm?

Exactly. It may be a mess, but it does work... :) From what I've seen, most
    of the open source is written in C, or some other scripting language that I don't know. If I look at it, I couldn't tell you if it was bad or not...

When I do get back into coding again, I would like to try to use C. It seems there is more resources available than there is for Pascal...

Good luck with the writing :)

Thanks. My novel was at about 60,000 words, and I decided to start over. I didn't like the way it was turning out. Now, I'm back up to just over 10,000 words again... It may take me awhile, but I'm determined. :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS
    The sparrows are flying again....

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Black Panther on Sun Apr 28 20:18:00 2019
    On 04-27-19 22:55, Black Panther wrote to All <=-

Shortly, there will be a new version of MTAFile released to the public. I've been testing some of the changes, and everything seems to be
    working smoothly. (at least until I just said something...)

What does this do again? :)

With this current version, I am also releasing the source code. Now,
    keep in mind, this is the program that I was re-teaching myself how to code again... There are lots of things that could be done to optimize
    the program, and make it run better. (No laughing when you look at
    it...)

Someone may like it, or someone may go "Hey this is a good idea, maybe I can make it work better". :)

Well, there have been some major changes in my personal life that have caused me to do some soul-diving. While I have the time right now to
    work on this project, there are other things that have been taking priority.

I can fully understand that. A lot of my technical hobbies have taken a back seat for similar reasons, while I focus on sport and some other personal stuff.
    Not that I've done any real coding for a few decades.

I've also gotten back into my story writing. At this point, with 7
    short stories written, and being edited, and trying to re-write my
    novel, I don't want to try to balance writing fiction, and coding. This doesn't mean that I'm giving up coding, just not focusing on it at this time.

Well done, again, I totally understand. Look in FSX_GEN for where a large part of my focus has been in recent times. :)

Haha you're safe from me - people in glass houses, etc. I'm not going to throw any (virtual) stones. :D

If you've read this far, thank you. These are your bonus:

"Two guys walk into a bar, the third one ducks."

Or:

Two guys walk into a bar *CLANG* "OW" *CLANG "OUCH". :D

"I had a dream I was a muffler last night. I woke up exhausted!"

"5/4 of people admit that they are bad with fractions."

There are 3 types of people - those who can count, and those who can't.

There are 10 types os people - those who understand binary and those who don't.

"Why do chicken coops only have two doors? Because if they had four,
    they would be chicken sedans!"

LOL that's quite good! :D

... Confidence is the feeling you had before you knew better.
    === MultiMail/Linux v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Vk3jed on Sun Apr 28 04:50:14 2019
    On 28 Apr 2019, Vk3jed said the following...

Shortly, there will be a new version of MTAFile released to the publi I've been testing some of the changes, and everything seems to be working smoothly. (at least until I just said something...)

What does this do again? :)

This is the program that creates the file announcements that are posted in FSX_BOT from CRBBS. Mys Tic Announce Files. I wasn't able to find anything
    that would announce incoming files for Mystic, so I wrote my own. :)

keep in mind, this is the program that I was re-teaching myself how t code again... There are lots of things that could be done to optimize

Someone may like it, or someone may go "Hey this is a good idea, maybe I can make it work better". :)

That's what I'm hoping for. If not, oh well... :)

I can fully understand that. A lot of my technical hobbies have taken a back seat for similar reasons, while I focus on sport and some other personal stuff. Not that I've done any real coding for a few decades.

Right now, I can't get into specifics, but there was a major event that happened earlier this month. It caused me to re-think a few things, and right now, I think that writing fiction would be my best stress relief.

I've also gotten back into my story writing. At this point, with 7 short stories written, and being edited, and trying to re-write my novel, I don't want to try to balance writing fiction, and coding. Th

Well done, again, I totally understand. Look in FSX_GEN for where a
    large part of my focus has been in recent times. :)

I've given up trying to keep up with you. ;) I can't run that fast... or at all... Well, maybe if I was being chased by something... ;)

Haha you're safe from me - people in glass houses, etc. I'm not going
    to throw any (virtual) stones. :D

That was the biggest reason I didn't release the code earlier. Until I
    rewrote it a few times, it was a disaster... You would have laughed... ;)

You'd think the second one would have gotten the hint... ;)

That one actually took me a few seconds... Although it is almost 1am here...

"Why do chicken coops only have two doors? Because if they had four, they would be chicken sedans!"

I see a new tagline in your future. You just need to shorten it a bit. :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Sun Apr 28 23:44:08 2019
    On 27 Apr 2019 at 10:55p, Black Panther pondered and said...

Hi Everyone,
    With this current version, I am also releasing the source code. Now,
    keep in mind, this is the program that I was re-teaching myself how to code again... There are lots of things that could be done to optimize
    the program, and make it run better. (No laughing when you look at it...)

Why am I doing this now?

Well, there have been some major changes in my personal life that have caused me to do some soul-diving. While I have the time right now to
    work on this project, there are other things that have been taking priority.

Best wishes on the writing and I will send these files out shortly to all who are connected to the file base. Thank you for creating the utils you have - they rock.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Black Panther on Sun Apr 28 23:23:00 2019
    On 04-28-19 00:50, Black Panther wrote to Vk3jed <=-

This is the program that creates the file announcements that are posted
    in FSX_BOT from CRBBS. Mys Tic Announce Files. I wasn't able to find anything that would announce incoming files for Mystic, so I wrote my
    own. :)

Cool, I should look at it myself. :)

I can fully understand that. A lot of my technical hobbies have taken a back seat for similar reasons, while I focus on sport and some other personal stuff. Not that I've done any real coding for a few decades.

Right now, I can't get into specifics, but there was a major event that happened earlier this month. It caused me to re-think a few things, and right now, I think that writing fiction would be my best stress relief.

Again, though in a sense, I'm doing the same. But yeah, hope the writing helps you get into the right space.

I've given up trying to keep up with you. ;) I can't run that fast...
    or at all... Well, maybe if I was being chased by something... ;)

Hahaha, it's surprising how few people really can, so don't feel too bad. Blew me away when that particular penny dropped. :D

That was the biggest reason I didn't release the code earlier. Until I rewrote it a few times, it was a disaster... You would have laughed...
    ;)

Maybe. ;)

You'd think the second one would have gotten the hint... ;)

Indeed. :)

That one actually took me a few seconds... Although it is almost 1am here...

Haha I thought it should get a few takers in the BBS world. :D

I see a new tagline in your future. You just need to shorten it a bit.
    :)

Hahaha. :D

... An aphrodisiac and a floor wax?
    === MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From Blue White@21:4/134 to Black Panther on Sun Apr 28 13:02:10 2019
    Black Panther wrote to All <=-

Shortly, there will be a new version of MTAFile released to the public. I've been testing some of the changes, and everything seems to be
    working smoothly. (at least until I just said something...)

What is MTAFile? :D

... The number you have dailed...Nine-one-one...has been changed.
    --- MultiMail
    * Origin: Possum Lodge South * possumso.fsxnet.nz:7636/SSH:2122 (21:4/134)
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Blue White on Sun Apr 28 17:05:17 2019
    On 28 Apr 2019, Blue White said the following...

Shortly, there will be a new version of MTAFile released to the publi I've been testing some of the changes, and everything seems to be working smoothly. (at least until I just said something...)

What is MTAFile? :D

Mys Tic Announce File

It's a program that creates a new file announcement based on the incoming
    .TIC files. Here's a snippet from the mtafile.txt:

snip<=-

-=-= Description =-=-

Mys Tic File Announce is a very simple TIC file announcement generator. Other programs that create new file announcements require a lengthy config program which require all file echos and BBS file areas to be set up. This program
    will take all the information from the TIC files, and generate a report that can be posted in message bases.

While this program was written for use with Mystic BBS, running under DOS/Windows or Linux, it can be used with any BBS software. Again, there is
    no interaction between the BBS software and this program. It is completely independent of the BBS.

snip<=-

Sorry, I should have included a description in the original message...

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Blue White@21:4/134 to Black Panther on Mon Apr 29 23:39:36 2019
    Black Panther wrote to Blue White <=-

Mys Tic Announce File

It's a program that creates a new file announcement based on the
    incoming .TIC files. Here's a snippet from the mtafile.txt:

snip<=-

Sorry, I should have included a description in the original message...

Actually, you did include a description in a message that followed. I
    should have been more patient. :O :D

... Computer Hacker wanted. Must have own axe.
    --- MultiMail
    * Origin: Possum Lodge South * possumso.fsxnet.nz:7636/SSH:2122 (21:4/134)