• Docker

From Sneaky@21:1/152 to deon on Mon Dec 24 13:35:27 2018
    Hi deon

* Origin: Chinwag | MysticBBS in Docker on a Pi! (21:2/116.1)

I would just like to ask what Docker does , you probably said same thing
    before but didn't take it in, been on docker.com watch a video but still unsure what it does, is iy a bit like vitual box.

Thank you
    Ian S 2nd Choice Core Mystic Nz

___ MultiMail/Win v0.51

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A40 2018/12/14 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: 2nd Choice Core|New Zealand (21:1/152)
  • From deon@21:2/116.1 to Sneaky on Mon Dec 24 12:25:46 2018
    Hi Ian,

I would just like to ask what Docker does , you probably said same thing before but didn't take it in, been on docker.com watch a video but still unsure what it does, is iy a bit like vitual box.

Docker is kinda of like "virtualisation" - like "VMware" - but a little different.

A docker image represents an (installed) application, that only then needs a place to store the data.

When you start a container for the first time (so there is no data), it is
    like you just installed it. When you start it for the second time onwards,
    its like the App was "stopped" and then "re-started". Starting an app is as simply as a "docker run ..." command.

Like virtualisation, many applications can run on the same physical host -
    and they each think they are the only application on the host (so they can
    all open their own port 23 for example). You then "port map" from the host
    to the app to connect to each individiual one.

So for example, on my Pi, I have Mystic, MBSE, ANSItex and magicka all
    running on the same Pi, all believing they are the only app. (So each is listening on port 23). From the host I map port 10023, 11023, 12023, etc to port 23 on each container.

That's just a short view of it, I use docker extensively (if an app isnt available as a container I make one) - as it is so easy to move an app
    between hosts, start up a second instance of an app, etc.

I have some details on my bbs website if you want to have a play. http://chinwag.leenooks.net

...deon

_--_|\ | Deon George
    / \ | Chinwag BBS - A BBS on a PI in Docker!
    \_.__.*/ |
    V | Coming from the 'burbs of Melbourne, Australia

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Raspberry Pi/32)
  • From Sneaky@21:1/152 to deon on Tue Dec 25 13:28:31 2018
    Hi deon

Hi Ian,

I would just like to ask what Docker does , you probably said same thing before but didn't take it in, been on docker.com watch a video but still unsure what it does, is iy a bit like vitual box.

Docker is kinda of like "virtualisation" - like "VMware" - but a little different.

okay not like vitual box then, that's cool might have to study up
    virtualisation and VMware to try to understand docker although
    you have explain it quite well in this message, and thank you

A docker image represents an (installed) application, that only then
    needs a place to store the data.

Ok I think

When you start a container for the first time (so there is no data), it
    is like you just installed it. When you start it for the second time onwards, its like the App was "stopped" and then "re-started". Starting
    an app is as simply as a "docker run ..." command.

okay so this is really a linux/pi program which is ok, tried windows one
    but I don't have the right ver of win10 tried there was another program to download but that wouldn't install, but that's cool, linux fine.

Like virtualisation, many applications can run on the same physical
    host - and they each think they are the only application on the host
    (so they can all open their own port 23 for example). You then "port
    map" from the host to the app to connect to each individiual one.

ok that's cool.

So for example, on my Pi, I have Mystic, MBSE, ANSItex and magicka all running on the same Pi, all believing they are the only app. (So each
    is listening on port 23). From the host I map port 10023, 11023, 12023, etc to port 23 on each container.

okay, I did wounder how people did that, and is the host it the router

That's just a short view of it, I use docker extensively (if an app
    isnt available as a container I make one) - as it is so easy to move an app between hosts, start up a second instance of an app, etc.

ok

I have some details on my bbs website if you want to have a play. http://chinwag.leenooks.net

Okay, I did check this link out with your app, and I have a new raspberry pi
    so I will try them out if that's okay with you, and you do a few bbs mystic
    etc there, did help my understand docker a bit more

what else can you use docker for per app exciept bbs system.

Thank you for all this info, it was great and for your time to explain it to me

___ MultiMail/Win v0.51

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A40 2018/12/23 (Windows/32)
  • From deon@21:2/116.1 to Sneaky on Tue Dec 25 04:16:19 2018
    On 12/25/18, Sneaky said the following...
    okay so this is really a linux/pi program which is ok, tried windows one but I don't have the right ver of win10 tried there was another program
    to download but that wouldn't install, but that's cool, linux fine.

Yes, docker is only for Linux apps. It is architecture dependent - so for example, you cannot run a ARM docker (Raspberry Pi) image, on an Intel box (x86_64).

But you can run a linux app on a windows box (under docker). I run, install, development on a MAC (with docker) and then deploy on an Intel server running CentOS. (I've even done it with commercial applications where the vendor only supports a distro of Linux)

Building a docker image requires a "recipe" called a Dockerfile - which describes how to build a container. Most times that same Dockerfile can be
    used on different architectures. (I build BBS's on x86_64 because its
    quicker, then I take the Dockerfile and the Pi/ARM version of the app and rebuild a ARM image - most times with little change.)

You could also get the Dockerfile and sources and "build" your copy of the image - it should always work (on the same architecture).

Any app - but mostly those applications that are a "service". So I run web, php, mail (domino), databases, backup applications as docker containers. My chinwag website is a nginx image (accepting port 80/443) forwarding chinwag URLs to another container running gitlab (my repository of my development).

Okay, I did check this link out with your app, and I have a new
    raspberry pi so I will try them out if that's okay with you, and you do
    a few bbs mystic etc there, did help my understand docker a bit more

Please do - and yell out if you get stuck. Docker probably does take a couple of goes to get your head around whats happening...

...deon

_--_|\ | Deon George
    \_.__.*/ |

• From Sneaky@21:1/152 to deon on Wed Dec 26 13:43:18 2018
    Hi deon

okay so this is really a linux/pi program which is ok, tried windows one but I don't have the right ver of win10 tried there was another program
    to download but that wouldn't install, but that's cool, linux fine.

Yes, docker is only for Linux apps. It is architecture dependent - so
    for example, you cannot run a ARM docker (Raspberry Pi) image, on an
    Intel box (x86_64).

Okay thank you good to now

But you can run a linux app on a windows box (under docker). I run, install, development on a MAC (with docker) and then deploy on an Intel server running CentOS. (I've even done it with commercial applications where the vendor only supports a distro of Linux)

Okay.

Building a docker image requires a "recipe" called a Dockerfile - which describes how to build a container. Most times that same Dockerfile can
    be used on different architectures. (I build BBS's on x86_64 because
    its quicker, then I take the Dockerfile and the Pi/ARM version of the
    app and rebuild a ARM image - most times with little change.)

okay thanks

You could also get the Dockerfile and sources and "build" your copy of
    the image - it should always work (on the same architecture).

okay

Any app - but mostly those applications that are a "service". So I run web, php, mail (domino), databases, backup applications as docker containers. My chinwag website is a nginx image (accepting port 80/443) forwarding chinwag URLs to another container running gitlab (my
    repository of my development).

okay

Okay, I did check this link out with your app, and I have a new
    raspberry pi so I will try them out if that's okay with you, and you do
    a few bbs mystic etc there, did help my understand docker a bit more

Please do - and yell out if you get stuck. Docker probably does take a couple of goes to get your head around whats happening...

okay will do, when I do this and if I need help with it I get intouch

and thank you for expaining docker for me, and have a nice day

___ MultiMail/Win v0.51

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A40 2018/12/23 (Windows/32)
  • From nathanael@21:4/123 to deon on Wed Dec 26 20:55:37 2018

"A couple"? I've played with it on and off, and I still don't have much more than a nebulous idea of what it's about. It's sort of like a virtual machine, but not too much. And I still can't keep the difference between an image and
    a container straight. One is the template and the other a specific instantiation, or something.

One of my servers has the Docker framework installed, and in the repository I see "kalrong/mysticibbs" from 7 months ago, described as "Docker basic
    install of the mystic BBS software".

Know anything about that? Guess I'll download it and take a look.

--nathanael

* Origin: *HUMONGOUS* BBS (21:4/123)
  • From deon@21:2/116.1 to nathanael on Thu Dec 27 15:18:09 2018
    On 12/26/18, nathanael said the following...
    virtual machine, but not too much. And I still can't keep the difference between an image and a container straight. One is the template and the other a specific instantiation, or something.

Think if a "live CDROM" - which when you boot it, it has (typically) a
    desktop environment that you can browse the net, often it has OpenOffice (or Libreoffice I think its called now) - so you can do word processing and other apps installed.

When you take that CDROM and put it into another machine, you get exactly the same experience.

In docker terms, the "CDROM" is like an image - in that when you start it
    (boot it), you get an application environment that does whatever the application does (web server, mail server, bbs, etc).

If you take that image to another machine, you get exactly the same
    experience.

Like a live CDROM, you have a read-write workspace, which is lost when you power off the machine. The same is true for docker.

Also like a live CDROM, any data you want to keep, you need to store it on a special place (typically you use a USB drive) - well docker uses a persistent volume, provided by the host.

Also, like the live CDROM, sometimes you need to pass special configuration parameters during boot. (I had to do that with a CDROM to tell it the network card I had) - you can do the same with docker (typically by environment variables that trigger an execution of a script (or a part of one) inside
    the image. Other special configuraiton parameters you can give to a container is how much CPU to use, what ports to pass through, how much memory to use,
    how much disk I/O, ...

The difference with a live CDROM and an docker image, is that a live CDROM is normally an OS plus many applications. In docker, an image represents a specific application at a specific version level. You can take that image,
    and the persistent data and give to another machine and it continues on as if it was just shut down and restarted.

When I upgrade to A40, I'll clone the persistent storage used for A39, run through the upgrade (building a new image) - and it it all works OK, I'll now have persistent data at the "A40 level" for the "A40 version" of MysticBBS.
    If it goes pear shaped, I just revert to the original "A39 version" of data
    for the A39 version of Mystic and boot it with A39 and it'll continue on as
    if nothing happened...

Oh, an a "container" is a running image. So I can have two containers running from the same image - but with different configuration - eg: my live BBS and
    a test one.

One of my servers has the Docker framework installed, and in the repository I see "kalrong/mysticibbs" from 7 months ago, described as "Docker basic install of the mystic BBS software".
    Know anything about that? Guess I'll download it and take a look.

No - I built my own mysticbbs image - and details are available on my
    website. I have an intel and Pi image - and I'll update those to A40 when I'm back from holidays.

...deon

_--_|\ | Deon George
    \_.__.*/ |

• From Gryphon@21:1/120 to deon on Wed Jan 2 16:19:08 2019
    On 12/24/18, deon said the following...

Hi Ian,

I would just like to ask what Docker does , you probably said same th before but didn't take it in, been on docker.com watch a video but st unsure what it does, is iy a bit like vitual box.

A docker image represents an (installed) application, that only then
    needs a place to store the data.

When you start a container for the first time (so there is no data), it
    is like you just installed it. When you start it for the second time onwards, its like the App was "stopped" and then "re-started". Starting
    an app is as simply as a "docker run ..." command.

Like virtualisation, many applications can run on the same physical host
    - and they each think they are the only application on the host (so they can all open their own port 23 for example). You then "port map" from
    the host to the app to connect to each individiual one.

So for example, on my Pi, I have Mystic, MBSE, ANSItex and magicka all running on the same Pi, all believing they are the only app. (So each is listening on port 23). From the host I map port 10023, 11023, 12023, etc to port 23 on each container.

That's just a short view of it, I use docker extensively (if an app isnt available as a container I make one) - as it is so easy to move an app between hosts, start up a second instance of an app, etc.

Another lightweight container solution is to use linux containers aka LXC.

https://linuxcontainers.org/lxc/introduction/

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | cyberiabbs.zapto.org | San Jose, CA (21:1/120)
  • From nathanael@21:4/123 to deon on Tue Feb 19 10:17:13 2019
    website. I have an intel and Pi image - and I'll update those to A40

Hi, deon.

Did you ever update your docker images? I'm got your image running on one of
    my servers, but it's still A39.

+=====================+-+=======+----------------------------------------
    | *H:U:M:O:N:G:O:U:S* | | B:B:S | nathanael : jenandcal.familyds.org:2323 +=====================+-+=======+----------------------------------------

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2018/12/27 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: *HUMONGOUS* BBS (21:4/123)
  • From deon@21:2/116.1 to nathanael on Tue Feb 19 05:22:45 2019
    On 19 Feb 2019, nathanael said the following...
    Did you ever update your docker images? I'm got your image running on
    one of my servers, but it's still A39.

Yes, I've only updated the Pi image if that is what you are after:

registry.leenooks.net/leenooks/mysticbbs:1.12a42-armv7l-extras

You shouldnt need to "do" anything, it will auto upgrade. (But do a backup
    just in case :) IE:

* Stop your old container
    * Backup your data
    * Start the container with the new image (and referencing the old data with
    -v ... or --volumes-from (not sure which way you went))

If you have your own custom theme, you'll need to apply the changes to
    the <theme>.txt file, as g00r00 added more strings (and changed some others).

When you upgrade, you should see an "upgrade" directory created where your persistent data is stored and in there should be a patch file to the default.txt, so you can see what you should patch back to your custom theme
    txt file.

Hope that makes sense.

...deon

_--_|\ | Deon George
    \_.__.*/ |

• From deon@21:2/116.1 to nathanael on Tue Feb 19 05:25:20 2019
    On 19 Feb 2019, deon said the following...
    You shouldnt need to "do" anything, it will auto upgrade. (But do a
    backup just in case :) IE:

I should add, if things go pear shaped, just restore the data back to the
    data folder, and restart with the old container - it will be as if nothing happened :)

If you look at the console, when you start the new image for the first time, you should see it upgrading... (You can see that with "docker log <CONTAINER_ID>"

If you need the intel version, let me know, its just a matter of building it.

...deon

_--_|\ | Deon George
    \_.__.*/ |

• From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Sat Nov 6 10:15:57 2021
    So I am starting to learn Docker at the moment. I'd like to thank Deon for his patience as I have asked him a number of questions so far too :)

I found a video on YouTube that has helped today to make sense of the ecosystem and now I am pondering how best to set things up so that I get the outcomes I want.

You know how your head hurts a little when you soak up new stuff, that's me today :)

Happy Saturday from NZ.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/09/29 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110 to Avon on Fri Nov 5 17:41:18 2021
    On 06 Nov 2021, Avon said the following...

I found a video on YouTube that has helped today to make sense of the ecosystem and now I am pondering how best to set things up so that I get the outcomes I want.

I've been meaning to try and wrap my head around docker as well. Which video did you find?

You know how your head hurts a little when you soak up new stuff, that's me today :)

I kind of find my like a sponge. When my ears start leaking I know I've had enough for the day... ;)

Jay

... A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/10/25 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms (21:3/110)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Warpslide on Sat Nov 6 11:24:55 2021
    On 05 Nov 2021 at 05:41p, Warpslide pondered and said...

I've been meaning to try and wrap my head around docker as well. Which video did you find?

One called 'Docker Tutorial for Beginners (over 1 hour)' from a chap running a channel called 'DevOps For Developers'. I found it very helpful.

I kind of find my like a sponge. When my ears start leaking I know I've had enough for the day... ;)

Hahah.. Nice. Yes I can relate :)

• From Bucko@21:4/131 to Avon on Fri Nov 5 20:50:34 2021

So I am starting to learn Docker at the moment. I'd like to thank Deon
    for his patience as I have asked him a number of questions so far too :)

I too am starting to play with Docker a little bit via my Synology NAS. Currently i am running Appache Guacamole on it to RDP/VNC into my Linux machines. I am still completely in the dark about it, as My son set it up while I sat there and asked 1001 questions.. He loves Docker.. Me still learning it..

... A book misplaced is a book lost

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/10/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (21:4/131)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Bucko on Sat Nov 6 22:14:15 2021
    On 05 Nov 2021 at 08:50p, Bucko pondered and said...

I too am starting to play with Docker a little bit via my Synology NAS. Currently i am running Appache Guacamole on it to RDP/VNC into my Linux machines. I am still completely in the dark about it, as My son set it
    up while I sat there and asked 1001 questions.. He loves Docker.. Me
    still learning it..

ah well we're in good company then.

Yes I have been learning about docker-compose and how to build interconnected containers today. I got some stuff working which was cool but now I am trying to start to figure out how to modify what I got running... head is full tonight!

• From Pat Jensen@21:4/163 to Avon on Sat Nov 6 04:40:13 2021

That's great. I held out on Docker for a long time, mainly because container networking can be a little bit rough. I run a lot of voice applications that use a lot of UDP ephermal ports and aren't very fond of NAT traversal.

With that being said, I migrated my Synchronet BBS to a Docker container, and I absolutely love it. It abstracts the BBS volume data from the binaries, so I can upgrade in place to any version at any time.

Enjoy the new bits.

So I am starting to learn Docker at the moment. I'd like to thank Deon for his patience as I have asked him a
    number
    of questions so far too :)

I found a video on YouTube that has helped today to make sense of the ecosystem and now I am pondering how best
    to
    set things up so that I get the outcomes I want.

Happy Saturday from NZ.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: Jensencloud - Fresno, CA (21:4/163)
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Avon on Sat Nov 6 08:23:08 2021

ah well we're in good company then.

Yes I have been learning about docker-compose and how to build interconnected containers today. I got some stuff working which was cool but now I am trying to start to figure out how to modify what I got running... head is full tonight!

Yes indeed we are in good company.. Eventually, I would like to my my multitude of VM's running my different BBS' and Servers etc off of real hardware and move them to Docker containers and run them from one place.. Eventually... LOL

... I'd love to help you out. Which way did you come in?

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Pat Jensen on Sun Nov 7 08:53:15 2021
    On 06 Nov 2021 at 04:40a, Pat Jensen pondered and said...

That's great. I held out on Docker for a long time, mainly because container networking can be a little bit rough. I run a lot of voice applications that use a lot of UDP ephermal ports and aren't very fond
    of NAT traversal.

With that being said, I migrated my Synchronet BBS to a Docker
    container, and I absolutely love it. It abstracts the BBS volume data
    from the binaries, so I can upgrade in place to any version at any time.

Enjoy the new bits.

Cool thanks. I am learning Nginx also and just trying to suss how to configure multiple domains. I agree it's a cool bit of kit.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Bucko on Sun Nov 7 08:54:03 2021
    On 06 Nov 2021 at 08:23a, Bucko pondered and said...

Yes indeed we are in good company.. Eventually, I would like to my my multitude of VM's running my different BBS' and Servers etc off of real hardware and move them to Docker containers and run them from one
    place.. Eventually... LOL

Yes that for me would be my first move into a VM style of world. At the moment I have a room with 4 PC whirring away.

• From Bugz@1:0/0 to Avon on Sat Nov 6 23:09:00 2021
    Avon wrote to All <=-

for his patience as I have asked him a number of questions so far too
    :)

Hi Avon,

I've been using docker more and more, for work and at home.

All my BBSes have been dockerized. My latest has been dockerizing the TradeWars game server using wine(linux). I had it running before, but
    was doing it wrong. Shutdown would shut down the framebuffer/xorg
    session, and then the game would get forcibly shut down, eventually
    leading to corrupted data. I've learned since then -- my newest
    container runs it's own vnc, and shutdown sends Alt-X and politely waits
    for TWGS to stop.

You know how your head hurts a little when you soak up new stuff,
    that's me today :)

It definitely takes a bit to get your head around the terms: images, containers, volumes, and networks. Multi-stage builds!

But, it's really nice to be able to spin up some containers and have
    the complete BBS running locally for testing.

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/the-docker-handbook/

That's a great resource for learning more.

And it's always fun to learn new things.

Take care,
    bugz

... The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.
    === MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: Red-Green BBS - bbs.red-green.com (0:0/0)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Bugz on Sun Nov 7 16:19:43 2021
    On 06 Nov 2021 at 11:09p, Bugz pondered and said...

But, it's really nice to be able to spin up some containers and have
    the complete BBS running locally for testing.

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/the-docker-handbook/

That's a great resource for learning more.

Thanks for the resource link I'll certainly dive into that. Cheers :)

• From Oli@21:3/102 to Avon on Sun Nov 7 09:56:10 2021
    Avon wrote (2021-11-06):

for his patience as I have asked him a number of questions so far too :)

You know how your head hurts a little when you soak up new stuff, that's
    me today :)

I thought people are switching from docker to podman.

---
    * Origin: 1995| Invention of the Cookie. The End. (21:3/102)
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Avon on Sun Nov 7 06:37:48 2021
    On 07 Nov 2021, Avon said the following...

Yes that for me would be my first move into a VM style of world. At the moment I have a room with 4 PC whirring away.

LOL I have 5 PC's plus a NAS running in one room.. On 1 of the PC's I have 4 VM's running all of my PC/Linux stuff, (Mystic, Enigma,SynchroNet, and a SynchroNet door server) another has a Commodore 64 Image BBS running in emulation, the next has a CNet Amiga in Emulation BBS, and the final one is my Image BBS NISSANet Hub machine which has 2 seperate emulated C64's.. If I can get them all onto 1 machine without having to sell the house for ram or CPU power I would love that!

... I think I am, therefore, I am... I think.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Oli on Mon Nov 8 22:38:35 2021
    On 07 Nov 2021 at 09:56a, Oli pondered and said...

I thought people are switching from docker to podman.

Oh no, more stuff to learn... let me get my head around docker containers first :)

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Bucko on Mon Nov 8 22:40:08 2021
    On 07 Nov 2021 at 06:37a, Bucko pondered and said...

LOL I have 5 PC's plus a NAS running in one room.. On 1 of the PC's I
    have 4 VM's running all of my PC/Linux stuff, (Mystic,
    Enigma,SynchroNet, and a SynchroNet door server) another has a Commodore

what sort of system specs do you need to do this with, and that's using docker right?

• From Bucko@21:4/131 to Avon on Mon Nov 8 19:40:36 2021

On 08 Nov 2021, Avon said the following...

what sort of system specs do you need to do this with, and that's using docker right?

No those aren't running Docker, I am running KVM/QEMU for the VM systems, that one is just run on a i5 3.5ghz, 32gigs ram.. The Docker setup will be on my NAS, which is a Synology DS920+ Nothing fancy just 32 TB's of HD space.. Just gotta get my feet wet with the Docker setups...

AL

... I don't have the time for a hobby. I have a computer.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/11/06 (Windows/32)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Avon on Mon Nov 8 08:50:00 2021
    Avon wrote to Oli <=-

Oh no, more stuff to learn... let me get my head around docker
    containers first :)

I worked at a local government IT department, about as dysfunctional a workplace as I've *ever* worked.

There's a yearly review of IT trends from Harvard, I think. We'd go through the current trends, and think "No, not there yet". The previous year. The
    year before that, and so on.

Our current state of IT was 7 years behind the curve. Hell, we still had a server room with raised floors and an AS/400!

... Retrace your steps
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Bucko on Fri Nov 12 15:24:07 2021
    On 08 Nov 2021 at 07:40p, Bucko pondered and said...

No those aren't running Docker, I am running KVM/QEMU for the VM
    systems, that one is just run on a i5 3.5ghz, 32gigs ram.. The Docker setup will be on my NAS, which is a Synology DS920+ Nothing fancy just
    32 TB's of HD space.. Just gotta get my feet wet with the Docker
    setups...

Ah OK yep all good... I'm still very much at the early stages of it all myself.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Nov 12 15:27:54 2021
    On 08 Nov 2021 at 08:50a, poindexter FORTRAN pondered and said...

I worked at a local government IT department, about as dysfunctional a workplace as I've *ever* worked.

:)

There's a yearly review of IT trends from Harvard, I think. We'd go through the current trends, and think "No, not there yet". The previous year. The year before that, and so on.

That all sounds rather disheartening. Hopefully it helped guide where they eventually would end up?

Our current state of IT was 7 years behind the curve. Hell, we still had
    a server room with raised floors and an AS/400!

Heh.

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Avon on Fri Nov 12 07:29:00 2021
    Avon wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

There's a yearly review of IT trends from Harvard, I think. We'd go through the current trends, and think "No, not there yet". The previous year. The year before that, and so on.

That all sounds rather disheartening. Hopefully it helped guide where
    they eventually would end up?

I didn't stay around long enough to find out. Suffice it to say, their technology was the least of their issues.

... Abandon desire
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Nov 15 16:48:20 2021
    On 12 Nov 2021 at 07:29a, poindexter FORTRAN pondered and said...

I didn't stay around long enough to find out. Suffice it to say, their technology was the least of their issues.

That was a good move.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/11/06 (Linux/64)