• Computer died... :(

From Black Panther@21:1/186 to All on Wed Mar 13 00:54:27 2019
    Hi All,

First of all, I'm not sure if Paul's system is down, or if there is a SNAFU somewhere, as there hasn't been much traffic today...

Also, I got home, and my personal computer decided to completely lock up on
    me. After rebooting it, it wouldn't boot past the HP logo... It seems like
    the motherboard gave up on me. You'd think they would last longer than 10 years... :)

So, I've ordered a new desktop tower, and new cables to connect to the dual monitors. They should be here on Friday. (or Saturday, for those systems running in the future) ;)

To top it all off, my wife has been suffering with a severe flare-up of gout
    in her foot. I've been playing nurse, cook, maid, and moral support for the last week...

Never a dull moment... :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS
    telnet://bbs.castlerockbbs.com
    http://www.castlerockbbs.com
    The sparrows are flying again....

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Castle Rock BBS - bbs.castlerockbbs.com (21:1/186)
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to All on Wed Mar 13 00:56:20 2019
    I did just want to let everyone know, that this was my personal system. Both Castle Rock BBS and fsxNet Hub 4 systems are running just fine... :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Wed Mar 13 23:07:42 2019
    On 12 Mar 2019 at 08:54p, Black Panther pondered and said...

First of all, I'm not sure if Paul's system is down, or if there is a SNAFU somewhere, as there hasn't been much traffic today...

You can always tell when something is amiss eh? I got tweets and email today while I was at work. It's kinda humbling to know there's folks involved in
    the network who care and take the time to contact me to let me know something might be amiss - thanks guys! :)

Also, I got home, and my personal computer decided to completely lock up on me. After rebooting it, it wouldn't boot past the HP logo... It seems like the motherboard gave up on me. You'd think they would last longer than 10 years... :)

Bummer... I am not a great fan of HP gear as my kids PCs have hit similar
    snags in the past.

So, I've ordered a new desktop tower, and new cables to connect to the dual monitors. They should be here on Friday. (or Saturday, for those systems running in the future) ;)

Ooo... shiny and new... bet it's super quiet and can offers better mileage to the gallon.

To top it all off, my wife has been suffering with a severe flare-up of gout in her foot. I've been playing nurse, cook, maid, and moral support for the last week...

you're a good man Charlie Brown... I hope she's feeling better. My wife has been up/down ladders today and is repainting a bedroom into a new lounge
    after our 18 year old moved out at the start of the year. Her achilles tendon is acting up and I worry about her over doing it.

Yep yep.

Best, Paul

--- E:avon@bbs.nz ------ W:bbs.nz ---
    --- K:keybase.io/avon --------------

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Wed Mar 13 23:08:33 2019
    On 12 Mar 2019 at 08:56p, Black Panther pondered and said...

I did just want to let everyone know, that this was my personal system. Both Castle Rock BBS and fsxNet Hub 4 systems are running just fine... :)

I just want you to know that your personal system is important too ;-p

Give it hug from me and talk up the wonders of faster RAM to it :)

Best, Paul

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Avon on Wed Mar 13 06:28:58 2019
    On 13 Mar 2019, Avon said the following...

You can always tell when something is amiss eh? I got tweets and email today while I was at work. It's kinda humbling to know there's folks involved in the network who care and take the time to contact me to let
    me know something might be amiss - thanks guys! :)

I figured you had already gotten a bunch of email, so I didn't send one. :) Glad it was something simple to fix.

Bummer... I am not a great fan of HP gear as my kids PCs have hit similar snags in the past.

I'm usually not a fan of HP either, but when I got it, it was to replace a
    dead system while I was working on my Master's degree online. I needed a computer right away, and couldn't wait for delivery...

Ooo... shiny and new... bet it's super quiet and can offers better
    mileage to the gallon.

It better be! ;)

you're a good man Charlie Brown... I hope she's feeling better. My wife

Well, she was feeling better yesterday, but we just got back from the
    emergency room. While she has a high pain tolerance, when I saw her in tears,
    I knew the pain was bad. Now she has some medication to help with the gout,
    and pain medication. She'll just be a bit loopy(er) for the next few days...
    :)

has been up/down ladders today and is repainting a bedroom into a new lounge after our 18 year old moved out at the start of the year. Her achilles tendon is acting up and I worry about her over doing it.

Just wait until tomorrow. That's when the aches and pains will show
    themselves.

You should have hired someone to do the painting for her.

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Avon on Wed Mar 13 06:30:13 2019
    On 13 Mar 2019, Avon said the following...

I did just want to let everyone know, that this was my personal syste Both Castle Rock BBS and fsxNet Hub 4 systems are running just fine..

I just want you to know that your personal system is important too ;-p

Oh, I'm already missing it... I didn't want people wondering if systems were going to be offline until Friday... :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Thu Mar 14 01:44:26 2019
    On 13 Mar 2019 at 02:28a, Black Panther pondered and said...

I figured you had already gotten a bunch of email, so I didn't send one. :) Glad it was something simple to fix.

Well you're always welcome to contact me (as you know :) and I too am glad it was a simple fix. I had seen some polling logging showing all was well with BinkP so figured it would be a MUTIL bsy issue but it was Fidopoll

I'm usually not a fan of HP either, but when I got it, it was to replace
    a dead system while I was working on my Master's degree online. I needed
    a computer right away, and couldn't wait for delivery...

Fair enough. For me they were a good deal on TradeMe (New Zealand ebay) and
    the kids had a good run with them but then they acted up and the error codes were baffling.

It better be! ;)

:)

Well, she was feeling better yesterday, but we just got back from the emergency room. While she has a high pain tolerance, when I saw her in tears, I knew the pain was bad. Now she has some medication to help with the gout, and pain medication. She'll just be a bit loopy(er) for the
    next few days... :)

Poor thing, she's a luck lass to have such a super bloke taking care of her.
    My wife is in bed with her feet up and I am on my 3rd cup of tea run for the evening... and I also raided the outside chest freezer to defrost a pack of
    hot cross buns... just toasted a few of them up.. MMmmmm

Just wait until tomorrow. That's when the aches and pains will show themselves.

You should have hired someone to do the painting for her.

I should have won lotto too :)

Best, Paul

• From shinobi@21:1/153 to Black Panther on Wed Mar 13 13:10:00 2019
    Hello Black Panther,

Also, I got home, and my personal computer decided to completely lock up on me. After rebooting it, it wouldn't boot past the HP logo... It seems like the motherboard gave up on me. You'd think they would last longer than 10 years... :)

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope Your data won't be lost. Just in case You're changing the mother-board You in front of difficult path to get the Windows
    10 working after that. I heard stories when people needed to call the call center and had some difficulties with dictating some weird serial number long as hell.

Dull Moments never dies.

Best regards

|08Shinobi <.Phenom.>

* Origin: Infoline BBS (21:1/153)
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to shinobi on Wed Mar 13 07:09:00 2019
    On 13 Mar 2019, shinobi said the following...

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope Your data won't be lost. Just in case You're changing the mother-board You in front of difficult path to get
    the Windows 10 working after that. I heard stories when people needed to call the call center and had some difficulties with dictating some weird serial number long as hell.

That's part of the reason I don't run Windows anymore... I did order a new tower, which should be here Friday.

I'm thinking the hard drive is still working. Otherwise I do have a backup that's about a week old on my external drive. I just feel lost without that computer... :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Black Panther on Thu Mar 14 01:49:00 2019
    On 03-12-19 20:54, Black Panther wrote to All <=-

Also, I got home, and my personal computer decided to completely lock
    up on me. After rebooting it, it wouldn't boot past the HP logo... It seems like the motherboard gave up on me. You'd think they would last longer than 10 years... :)

Bummer! :'(

... What do you mean off topic??!!! There's a topic?
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Black Panther on Thu Mar 14 01:49:00 2019
    On 03-12-19 20:56, Black Panther wrote to All <=-

I did just want to let everyone know, that this was my personal system. Both Castle Rock BBS and fsxNet Hub 4 systems are running just fine...

At least the BBS systems are OK, but still a pain for you. :(

... They don't make antiques like they used to.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Thu Mar 14 01:52:00 2019
    On 03-13-19 19:07, Avon wrote to Black Panther <=-

You can always tell when something is amiss eh? I got tweets and email today while I was at work. It's kinda humbling to know there's folks involved in the network who care and take the time to contact me to let
    me know something might be amiss - thanks guys! :)

Haha automatic network diagnostics, aka "users and sysops". :D

Bummer... I am not a great fan of HP gear as my kids PCs have hit
    similar snags in the past.

I tend to go for generic whiteboxes rather than name brand gear. You also tend to get more standardised components that way. :)

... Reality is for those who can't handle computers.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Dmxrob@21:4/148 to Avon on Wed Mar 13 15:16:52 2019
    Re: Re: Computer died... :(
    By: Avon to Black Panther on Wed Mar 13 2019 07:07 pm

You can always tell when something is amiss eh? I got tweets and email today while I was at work. It's kinda humbling to know there's folks involved in the network who care and take the time to contact me to let me know something might be amiss - thanks guys! :)

How about paging as well? syncSMS for all those occassions which you want your cell phone to be paged by users freaking out! :-)

dmxrob ■ BBSing from St. Louis, Missouri since 1988
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
    * Origin: Gateway to the West BBS | St. Louis, Missouri (21:4/148)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Black Panther on Wed Mar 13 11:58:00 2019
    Black Panther wrote to All <=-

Also, I got home, and my personal computer decided to completely lock
    up on me. After rebooting it, it wouldn't boot past the HP logo... It seems like the motherboard gave up on me. You'd think they would last longer than 10 years... :)

Did you keep the receipt?

I got 12 years out of a HP Pavilion, one of those systems with a generic
    Intel 810 chipset, Celeron CPU, 512 MB RAM and weird curvy case with smoked plastic doors over the optical drives.

I think the key to longevity was sticking with USB 1.1 and limiting the ATA
    bus to ATA-33.

But, it would not quit - until it did.

... Have you ever seen anything like this place?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.51
    * Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org (21:4/122)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Vk3jed on Wed Mar 13 12:23:00 2019
    Vk3jed wrote to Avon <=-

I tend to go for generic whiteboxes rather than name brand gear. You
    also tend to get more standardised components that way. :)

I miss the local mom-n-pop computer stores of the 1990s. They'd have good/better/best configurations, and you could swap components out as
    needed.

I remember getting a system with a specific video card and network card, because I wanted to run Linux on it and support was limited back then. Not
    a problem. Finding a name-brand system with exactly what I wanted would
    have been a hurdle.

I could build my server configs, too - and most of my company's network was built with intel motherboards and everything else off-the-shelf white-box parts.

My son took a computer assembly and repair class at the local junior
    college last summer, and this winter he tried to upgrade a store-bought
    Lenovo gamer desktop. After struggling over a couple of weekends, we
    decided it'd be easier to build a new system from scratch and sell the old system. Shame. If he'd bought a white box system he could have upgraded as
    he went.

... Do you have access to your previous configuration?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.51
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Mar 14 12:29:00 2019
    On 03-13-19 08:23, poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I miss the local mom-n-pop computer stores of the 1990s. They'd have good/better/best configurations, and you could swap components out as needed.

Got a local store that will do this. It is part of a larger chain (based in Melbourne, I think), but you can take one of their packages and then change components. They'll even let you DIY the installation of extras if you want to save money.

I remember getting a system with a specific video card and network
    card, because I wanted to run Linux on it and support was limited back then. Not a problem. Finding a name-brand system with exactly what I wanted would have been a hurdle.

I often change the video card to get dual outputs (VGA and HDMI), did that with this system I'm using now. Wasn't a drama at all. Think they actually installed the video card for free.

I could build my server configs, too - and most of my company's network was built with intel motherboards and everything else off-the-shelf white-box parts.

That's how I'd do a server too. :)

My son took a computer assembly and repair class at the local junior college last summer, and this winter he tried to upgrade a store-bought Lenovo gamer desktop. After struggling over a couple of weekends, we decided it'd be easier to build a new system from scratch and sell the
    old system. Shame. If he'd bought a white box system he could have upgraded as he went.

Yes, the white box systems are easier to work on. As were the old PCs. I managed to build an XT clone from scrounged parts. That PC evolved and ended up as a 486DX4/100 through a process of incremental upgrades (one or two components at a time over a period of nearly 10 years). By this time there were no original parts left in the machine, though it kept its identity the whole way through. Some of the upgrades included:

CPU - 088 - 80286 - 80386SX40 - 80486SX33, 80486DX2/66, 80486DX4/100
    Video - MDA - CGA - Hercules - VGA - and various SVGA cards
    HDD - none - 10MB - 30MB - 70MB - 200MB - 330 MB - 1.2GB - 8GB
    Comms - 8250 - 16450 - 16550 UARTs, up to 4 ports. 10M thinnet (think I switched to UTP after this machine was decommissioned).
    Power supply was upgraded at least once.

Those days were more fun when it came to doing hardware. :)

... Them ain't oil leaks on that Harley. It's automatic rust prevention!
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Vk3jed on Wed Mar 13 22:22:43 2019
    On 13 Mar 2019, Vk3jed said the following...

I did just want to let everyone know, that this was my personal syste Both Castle Rock BBS and fsxNet Hub 4 systems are running just fine..

At least the BBS systems are OK, but still a pain for you. :(

It is a bit of a pain, but still workable... :) While I was ordering the new system and cables, I decided I wanted to upgrade the RAM on the CRBBS system. It running 4gig right now, but it seems to bog down a bit when multiple
    events are running. I'm upgrading it to 8gig...

I don't know why, but I really laughed when I read that... It could be the
    lack of sleep... :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Mar 13 22:29:20 2019
    On 13 Mar 2019, poindexter FORTRAN said the following...

seems like the motherboard gave up on me. You'd think they would last longer than 10 years... :)

Did you keep the receipt?

I should have... :)

I think the key to longevity was sticking with USB 1.1 and limiting the ATA bus to ATA-33.

I really don't push my systems at all. I don't do gaming or video editing, so
    I don't need the high end systems. What I like about the new one, is it has
    10 USB ports. (4-front, 6-back) The ones on the back are 3.0, and the ones on the front are 2.0. If I ever need to use the webcam, external HD, external floppy, mouse, keyboard, charge my watch, phone and tablet all at the same time, I'll be set! :)

But, it would not quit - until it did.

That's how this one was. It was running smoothly until the desktop locked up
    on me. I was thinking about replacing it soon anyway. Maybe it knew my plans, and wanted me to suffer... :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Thu Mar 14 19:43:40 2019
    Don't drink that late afternoon coffee :)

Best, Paul

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Avon on Thu Mar 14 00:11:58 2019
    Re: Re: Top Tip
    By: Avon to Black Panther on Thu Mar 14 2019 03:43 pm

I had a boss who got sick of the half-drunk cups of coffee in the office, and set a rule - all coffee had to be drunk at the end of the shift.

I drink mine black, but my supervisor drank a sickly concoction that was equal parts coffee, cream and sugar. Those didn't go down to well at 5pm.
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Win32
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Avon on Thu Mar 14 01:18:04 2019
    On 14 Mar 2019, Avon said the following...

I've only had one cup of coffee today... It's very unusual for me, as I
    usually have 5 of 6 cups before lunch. :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Black Panther on Thu Mar 14 18:04:00 2019
    On 03-13-19 18:22, Black Panther wrote to Vk3jed <=-

It is a bit of a pain, but still workable... :) While I was ordering
    the new system and cables, I decided I wanted to upgrade the RAM on the CRBBS system. It running 4gig right now, but it seems to bog down a bit when multiple events are running. I'm upgrading it to 8gig...

Hmm, your BBS must be a real hog, I run 2 BBSs in 1 gig RAM. :)

I don't know why, but I really laughed when I read that... It could be
    the lack of sleep... :)

It is rather amusing, isn't it? ;)

... What?! I'm missing Star Tre$#%$^ NO CARRIER
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From nathanael@21:4/123 to Black Panther on Thu Mar 14 15:30:21 2019

I usually have 5 or 6 cups FOR lunch :-)

╓─────────────────────╖ ╓───────╖ ╓─────────────────────────────────────╖
    *H·U·M·O·N·G·O·U·S* B·B·S nathanael : jenandcal.familyds.org:2323
    ╙─────────────────────╜ ╙───────╜ ╙─────────────────────────────────────╜

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: *HUMONGOUS* BBS (21:4/123)
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Vk3jed on Thu Mar 14 02:06:39 2019
    On 14 Mar 2019, Vk3jed said the following...

Right now, it's running Mystic in one window, DoorParty in another, BOINC is running in the background, along with keybase, and Remmina and I usually have the file manager open as well. For awhile, it was also running my personal
    vpn server... So, yup, it's being a hog. ;)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to nathanael on Thu Mar 14 02:09:03 2019
    On 14 Mar 2019, nathanael said the following...

I did forget to mention, that my cup is also 18 ounces, which is about 532
    ml. ;)

If I drink more than that, I spend most of the day in the restroom...:)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From PalKat@21:4/137 to Black Panther on Thu Mar 14 02:17:20 2019
    Well, she was feeling better yesterday, but we just got back from the emergency room. While she has a high pain tolerance, when I saw her in

Aw man what a bummer, did you end up at RUST or UNM? We have gone to the ER
    at RUST twice in the past year now and with all their new additions your
    still waiting 4-5 hours in the front to be seen. Truly feel for you and more importantly hope your wife is on the mend!

Woo Hoo on the new machine!! Always fun times! I am one of those mom & pop shops folks are referring to on here and happen to be located in your area if you are ever in need.

* Origin: 8-Bit Boyz BBS (21:4/137)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Mar 15 00:07:04 2019
    On 13 Mar 2019 at 08:11p, poindexter FORTRAN pondered and said...

I had a boss who got sick of the half-drunk cups of coffee in the
    office, and set a rule - all coffee had to be drunk at the end of the shift.

Gee you would be awake for hours after the work day had ended then I guess?

I drink mine black, but my supervisor drank a sickly concoction that was equal parts coffee, cream and sugar. Those didn't go down to well at 5pm.

I'm milk and coffee but can have it black... I dropped the sugar a long time back. Cream is really foreign to add to coffee over here :)

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Fri Mar 15 00:07:41 2019
    On 13 Mar 2019 at 09:18p, Black Panther pondered and said...

I've only had one cup of coffee today... It's very unusual for me, as I usually have 5 of 6 cups before lunch. :)

Your sleepy self tonight says thanks :)

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to nathanael on Fri Mar 15 00:09:04 2019
    On 14 Mar 2019 at 11:30a, nathanael pondered and said...

I have one in the morning, and perhaps one at work.. that's me.

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Fri Mar 15 00:10:29 2019
    On 13 Mar 2019 at 10:09p, Black Panther pondered and said...

If I drink more than that, I spend most of the day in the restroom...:)

It's a diuretic #funfact

Best, Paul

• From nathanael@21:4/123 to Avon on Thu Mar 14 19:24:14 2019
    I have one in the morning, and perhaps one at work.. that's me.

my wifw told me I ahould only have one cup for lunch and I agreed. So now I just take the pot.

• From Al@21:4/106 to Avon on Thu Mar 14 04:47:20 2019
    I'm milk and coffee but can have it black... I dropped the sugar a long time back. Cream is really foreign to add to coffee over here :)

I dropped the sugar too, used to be two scoops at one time many years ago. Now it's just cream, double cream that is.. :)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Black Panther on Fri Mar 15 01:44:00 2019
    On 03-13-19 22:06, Black Panther wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Right now, it's running Mystic in one window, DoorParty in another,
    BOINC is running in the background, along with keybase, and Remmina and
    I usually have the file manager open as well. For awhile, it was also running my personal vpn server... So, yup, it's being a hog. ;)

I see. :) I run 2 BBSs on a Banana Pi, and they seem to run rather well. :)

... Dawn crept across the lawn, searching for her car keys.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Fri Mar 15 02:19:00 2019
    On 03-14-19 20:07, Avon wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Same on all counts here too. :) Though if given a choice, I'll have a latte.
    )

... Detour: The roughest distance between two points.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From nathanael@21:4/123 to Vk3jed on Fri Mar 15 02:10:47 2019
    I'm milk and coffee but can have it black... I dropped the sugar a lo
    Same on all counts here too. :) Though if given a choice, I'll have a

I've cut down on sugar, but don't care for it black -- too bitter -- so I usually go with a teaspon of honey in a 16-oz cup. Milk or cream I can take
    or leave.

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Avon on Thu Mar 14 09:53:00 2019
    Avon wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Gee you would be awake for hours after the work day had ended then I guess?

I was in my 20s and at university - I was either up studying, partying or BBSing until all hours of the night anyway. :)

... What do you think of the guests?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.51
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Avon on Thu Mar 14 12:22:00 2019
    Avon wrote to nathanael <=-

I would only drink coffee in the evening.
    Sometimes the early evening, or the mid evening, or the late evening.
    Sometimes in the early afternoon, or the mid afternoon,
    Or sometimes the early mid late early morning.
    But never at DUSK!

(Steve Martin was talking about marijuana, not coffee)

... Have you done something wrong?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.51
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to nathanael on Thu Mar 14 12:24:00 2019
    nathanael wrote to Avon <=-

my wifw told me I ahould only have one cup for lunch and I agreed. So
    now I just take the pot.

The US Government's puppet of a chairman of the Federal Communications Commission (responsible for policing broadcast and internet providers) is
    often seen drinking out of an oversized Reese's Peanut Butter Cup coffee
    cup - when he's not eroding internet principles and selling out to internet service providers, that is.

... Are you lost?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.51
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Vk3jed on Fri Mar 15 15:14:52 2019
    On 14 Mar 2019 at 10:19p, Vk3jed pondered and said...

Moccachino is nice :)

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Mar 15 15:16:16 2019
    On 14 Mar 2019 at 05:53a, poindexter FORTRAN pondered and said...

I was in my 20s and at university - I was either up studying, partying or BBSing until all hours of the night anyway. :)

I was in the same head space :)

Best, Paul

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to PalKat on Thu Mar 14 21:46:22 2019
    On 13 Mar 2019, PalKat said the following...

Aw man what a bummer, did you end up at RUST or UNM? We have gone to the ER at RUST twice in the past year now and with all their new additions your still waiting 4-5 hours in the front to be seen. Truly feel for you and more importantly hope your wife is on the mend!

We went to Rust. (I still have issues with a hospital named Rust...) We got there a little after 9pm, and got home at 3am... :(

My wife is feeling better. (or maybe it's the pain meds...) The swelling has gone down quite a bit, and she's able to walk now.

Woo Hoo on the new machine!! Always fun times! I am one of those mom & pop shops folks are referring to on here and happen to be located in
    your area if you are ever in need.

Where do we have a mom and pop shop for computers? I was looking to see what Best Buy and Walmart had available, but didn't like the choices and/or
    prices. I'd actually prefer to build my own system, so I know exactly what
    I'm getting, but can't find parts locally anymore.

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Mar 14 21:49:41 2019
    On 13 Mar 2019, poindexter FORTRAN said the following...

I'm sorry, but that's not coffee at that point...

I like my coffee how I like my women... In a porcelain cup... :)

I also drink my coffee black. I used to add sugar to it, but gave that up
    years ago. I figured I was already sweet enough. :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Avon on Thu Mar 14 21:52:01 2019
    On 14 Mar 2019, Avon said the following...

If I drink more than that, I spend most of the day in the restroom...

It's a diuretic #funfact

It is, and it just adds to the diuretic that I take with my blood pressure medication... :(

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to nathanael on Thu Mar 14 21:54:18 2019
    On 14 Mar 2019, nathanael said the following...

my wifw told me I ahould only have one cup for lunch and I agreed. So
    now I just take the pot.

There's a gas station here, that sells a tavel coffee mug that must hold a gallon. This thing is huge. I've been tempted to get one, and bring it with
    me to meetings at work... :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Vk3jed on Thu Mar 14 21:59:27 2019

I see. :) I run 2 BBSs on a Banana Pi, and they seem to run rather
    well. :)

When I had ENiGMA and MagickaBBS running on the RPi, it had no problems. :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From nathanael@21:4/123 to Black Panther on Fri Mar 15 12:04:43 2019
    We went to Rust. (I still have issues with a hospital named Rust...) We

Perhaps off-topic, but many years ago I had a doctor whose name was Diane. Everyone called her Dr. Di. (True story.)

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to nathanael on Thu Mar 14 22:22:02 2019
    On 15 Mar 2019, nathanael said the following...

Perhaps off-topic, but many years ago I had a doctor whose name was
    Diane. Everyone called her Dr. Di. (True story.)

I don't think anything is really off-topic here. :)

I'm not sure if I would be able to see a doctor called Dr. Di. That's just wrong... :)

So, doctors go to school for like 12 years. Why would you call what they do, practice? You would think they would be good at it after all that time in school... :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Xenos@21:4/147 to Black Panther on Fri Mar 15 12:32:56 2019
    RE: Re: Computer died... :(
    BY: Black Panther (21:1/186)

On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 05:22 PM, Black Panther (21:1/186) wrote:

So, doctors go to school for like 12 years. Why would you call what they do BP>practice? You would think they would be good at it after all that time in BP>school... :)

It's the same thing with lawyers, eh?
    Shouldn't they be experts already or something? :D

-=<(xenos)>=-
    :::::::[Alien's Alcove! WWIV 5 on Linux : telnet://aliens.free.net.ph]:::::::

--- WWIV 5.3.0.development
    * Origin: /\lien's /\lcove! WWIV 5 on Linux | aliens.free.net.ph (21:4/147)
  • From nathanael@21:4/123 to Black Panther on Fri Mar 15 12:47:17 2019

True, but I was thinking off-topic for the thread. But then again, this is
    the "Computer died.. :(" thread, so I suppose the discussion was already off-topic :-)

Why would you call what they do, practice?

Good point. If my friend says, "You should take your car to my friend. He's
    a practicing mechanic," I'd certainly take a pass.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to nathanael on Fri Mar 15 12:38:00 2019
    On 03-14-19 22:10, nathanael wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I'm milk and coffee but can have it black... I dropped the sugar a lo

I've cut down on sugar, but don't care for it black -- too bitter -- so
    I usually go with a teaspon of honey in a 16-oz cup. Milk or cream I
    can take or leave.

Much prefer milk, but I'm still no stranger to straight, unsweetened black coffee.

... I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Mar 15 16:27:00 2019
    On 03-14-19 05:53, poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Avon <=-

I was in my 20s and at university - I was either up studying, partying
    or BBSing until all hours of the night anyway. :)

I spent many a night BBSing... "Just one more mail packet..." and "Hmm, I might crash this one through... Oooooooh, new mail!" :D

... Today's extravagance becomes tomorrow's necessity.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From nathanael@21:4/123 to Vk3jed on Fri Mar 15 14:01:15 2019
    I spent many a night BBSing... "Just one more mail packet..." and "Hmm,
    I might crash this one through... Oooooooh, new mail!" :D

LOL. I pulled my share of all-night BBS sessions, but I have to confess I was in it for the files more so than the messaging.

When I got to grad school, PC Pursuit opened up a whole new world of long-distance BBSing. I've still got all my old Qmodem and PCPlus PC-Pursuit scripts archived somewhere.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Fri Mar 15 16:35:00 2019
    On 03-15-19 11:14, Avon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

On 14 Mar 2019 at 10:19p, Vk3jed pondered and said...

True. :)

... Mail waiting, must have said something real stupid.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Black Panther on Fri Mar 15 16:36:00 2019
    On 03-14-19 17:59, Black Panther wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I see. :) I run 2 BBSs on a Banana Pi, and they seem to run rather
    well. :)

When I had ENiGMA and MagickaBBS running on the RPi, it had no
    problems. :)

Nice combination. I decided to run Magicka on an old netbook. :)

... Genius is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration. === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Black Panther on Fri Mar 15 17:03:00 2019
    On 03-14-19 17:46, Black Panther wrote to PalKat <=-

My wife is feeling better. (or maybe it's the pain meds...) The
    swelling has gone down quite a bit, and she's able to walk now.

Sounds like good signs.

Where do we have a mom and pop shop for computers? I was looking to see what Best Buy and Walmart had available, but didn't like the choices and/or prices. I'd actually prefer to build my own system, so I know exactly what I'm getting, but can't find parts locally anymore.

I feel blessed, because parts are readily available from the local computer store here. Sure, it's part of a bigger network, but they only deal in computers and IT related stuff. They're not some "bigger" electrical retailer or department store. I can buy a pre-built system, or I can roll my own and either get them to build it, or just buy the parts and do it myself. These days, I normally go somewhere in the middle - start with a pre-built system that is close to what I want, then option it to suit my needs (e.g. more RAM, bigger HDD or SSD, different video card, etc). The choice is pretty much up to me. :)

... Beam a large pepperoni pizza to these coordinates.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Black Panther on Fri Mar 15 17:04:00 2019
    On 03-14-19 18:22, Black Panther wrote to nathanael <=-

So, doctors go to school for like 12 years. Why would you call what
    they do, practice? You would think they would be good at it after all
    that time in school... :)

One would hope so! :D

... Only those who attempt the absurd can achieve the impossible.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Xenos on Fri Mar 15 01:03:30 2019
    On 15 Mar 2019, Xenos said the following...

So, doctors go to school for like 12 years. Why would you call what the BP>practice? You would think they would be good at it after all that time BP>school... :)

It's the same thing with lawyers, eh?
    Shouldn't they be experts already or something? :D

They should be by that time...

BTW, do you know why sharks don't eat lawyers?
    Professional courtesy... :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to nathanael on Fri Mar 15 01:06:41 2019

True, but I was thinking off-topic for the thread. But then again, this
    is the "Computer died.. :(" thread, so I suppose the discussion was already off-topic :-)

Now we don't have to worry about the name of the thread. ;)

Good point. If my friend says, "You should take your car to my friend. He's a practicing mechanic," I'd certainly take a pass.

I think I would also have to pass on that offer... :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From PalKat@21:4/137 to Black Panther on Fri Mar 15 01:08:01 2019
    Where do we have a mom and pop shop for computers? I was looking to see

I use to split a store front with Laser Specialist Inc. down by balloon park off Alameda (the building is behind the now Indian Motorcycle shop). How ever that store front went away due to they were a printer shop and I was the Computer shop in there, they decided to sell their building which then became the Garduño's corporate office. Leaving me to be a mobile service/shop for
    the past 15 years (which is how I started in the early 90's), I do not miss
    the overhead and other expenses that went along with a shop. We still offer
    all the goods and services as when I had a store front but folks really
    prefer the store front coming to them over them driving to it so have kept
    with it!

I still maintain the same suppliers and vendors of the past 25+ years, in
    fact everyone knows of I Buy Power, but I was using them way before that when they were American Future Technology for the bulk of my parts and custom
    build systems. My guy there Danial designed NZXT's (another division of AFT like I Buy Power) first case which I have held on to several of them due to that personal nostalgia.

How ever this industry has changed a lot in 10 years as all know, I have a
    lot of customers that go with Lenovo's & Asus along with HP and Dell, they may not be custom machines but still just as easy to upgrade and mod. I do supply Asus & Lenovo's plus custom builds regularly to health care companies here in NM, TX and AZ that I also do IT for. But the average small business / residential customer these days just wants off the shelf for their specific needs.

Anyway, my point was if your ever looking for something, I might be able to help you if I have in stock what your looking faster than online.

My wife is feeling better. (or maybe it's the pain meds...) The swelling has gone down quite a bit, and she's able to walk now.

That is all good news, glad to hear she is improving! I have a few clients with gout and man the stories I hear. Not fun at all!

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Vk3jed on Fri Mar 15 01:12:26 2019
    On 15 Mar 2019, Vk3jed said the following...

I feel blessed, because parts are readily available from the local computer store here. Sure, it's part of a bigger network, but they only deal in computers and IT related stuff. They're not some "bigger" electrical retailer or department store. I can buy a pre-built system,
    or I can roll my own and either get them to build it, or just buy the parts and do it myself. These days, I normally go somewhere in the
    middle - start with a pre-built system that is close to what I want,
    then option it to suit my needs (e.g. more RAM, bigger HDD or SSD, different video card, etc). The choice is pretty much up to me. :)

I miss those days... :( I was actually building systems and selling them in
    the early 90s. That all ended with they came out the low end eMachines. I couldn't even purchase the components for what they were selling for...

I will usually purchase something close to what I want as well, then upgrade it. It starts with a larger HD and RAM. :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to PalKat on Fri Mar 15 01:24:11 2019
    On 14 Mar 2019, PalKat said the following...

I use to split a store front with Laser Specialist Inc. down by balloon park off Alameda (the building is behind the now Indian Motorcycle
    shop). How ever that store front went away due to they were a printer

Ok, I know right where that is.

building which then became the Garduño's corporate office. Leaving me to be a mobile service/shop for the past 15 years (which is how I started
    in the early 90's), I do not miss the overhead and other expenses that went along with a shop. We still offer all the goods and services as
    when I had a store front but folks really prefer the store front coming
    to them over them driving to it so have kept with it!

I would think that would give you a lot more freedom as well.

I still maintain the same suppliers and vendors of the past 25+ years, in fact everyone knows of I Buy Power, but I was using them way before that when they were American Future Technology for the bulk of my parts and

I remember both I Buy Power and American Future Technology. :)

care companies here in NM, TX and AZ that I also do IT for. But the average small business / residential customer these days just wants off the shelf for their specific needs.

Most residential computer owners wouldn't know how to remove the case from
    the computer, let alone what they might want to upgrade inside it. :)

Anyway, my point was if your ever looking for something, I might be able to help you if I have in stock what your looking faster than online.

If I would have known that 2 days ago... :) I will definitely get in touch
    with you for my next upgrade.

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to nathanael on Fri Mar 15 18:43:00 2019
    On 03-15-19 10:01, nathanael wrote to Vk3jed <=-

LOL. I pulled my share of all-night BBS sessions, but I have to confess
    I was in it for the files more so than the messaging.

Files were useful, but I only downloaded as needed. Messaging was where it was at for me. :)

When I got to grad school, PC Pursuit opened up a whole new world of long-distance BBSing. I've still got all my old Qmodem and PCPlus PC-Pursuit scripts archived somewhere.

None of that was available here. There were people who discussed ideas such as back to back modems at sites near the edge of calling areas, to extend how far one could call without LD charges, but never saw anything actually built.

... Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance??
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Black Panther on Fri Mar 15 18:49:00 2019
    On 03-14-19 21:12, Black Panther wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I miss those days... :( I was actually building systems and selling
    them in the early 90s. That all ended with they came out the low end eMachines. I couldn't even purchase the components for what they were selling for...

I never sold, but I enjoyed building my own systems back in the 90s, but by the early 2000s, it was cheaper to get something prebuilt that could be used as a base to customise a system from.

I will usually purchase something close to what I want as well, then upgrade it. It starts with a larger HD and RAM. :)

We think alike. :)

... No, I was trying to be funny. I guess I failed at it.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From nathanael@21:4/123 to Vk3jed on Fri Mar 15 16:45:56 2019
    None of that was available here. There were people who discussed ideas

PC Pursuit was a service run by Telenet, which in the '70s became one of the first nationwide packet-switching networks in the US, with at its peak more than 1000 switches. In the early '08s they opened their network at night to home users and called it PC Pursuit. For $15 a month you could connect to a local switch, from there to any other switch in the Telenet network, then outdial from that switch to local BBSes, allowing you to avoid long distance charges.

PC Pursuit used 5-letter city codes for their outdials; I still remember my favorites -- TXDAL, NJNEW (Newark, NJ; there were several large CP/M boards there), and CAGLE (Glendale Calif. another popular board whose name I've forgotten was local there). Of course, I spent a lot of time developing and tweaking dialing scripts for QModem and PCPlus to automate everything.

Fun stuff. It was a lot like the Internet before the Internet became a Thing.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to nathanael on Fri Mar 15 22:40:00 2019
    On 03-15-19 12:45, nathanael wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Fun stuff. It was a lot like the Internet before the Internet became a Thing.

But it was US only, no equivalent here. As I said, I had heard of it, but no way to experience it.

... 66 percent of Americans can't do basic math.... that's almost half!
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Sat Mar 16 01:19:15 2019
    On 14 Mar 2019 at 05:46p, Black Panther pondered and said...

and/or prices. I'd actually prefer to build my own system, so I know exactly what I'm getting, but can't find parts locally anymore.

We have a couple of shops here in Dunedin that sell PC parts and when I can afford it I enjoy getting bits together to build a new system... it's a rewarding feeling to do it yourself. Bummer you can't source the stuff you want.

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Sat Mar 16 01:19:52 2019
    On 14 Mar 2019 at 05:52p, Black Panther pondered and said...

It's a diuretic #funfact

It is, and it just adds to the diuretic that I take with my blood
    pressure medication... :(

A a case of wee wee then? :)

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to nathanael on Sat Mar 16 01:21:08 2019
    On 15 Mar 2019 at 08:04a, nathanael pondered and said...

Perhaps off-topic, but many years ago I had a doctor whose name was
    Diane. Everyone called her Dr. Di. (True story.)

Nothing off topic about it.. I always laugh at anyone called Dr Bob... I keep thinking of the Muppets when I hear that.

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Sat Mar 16 01:21:47 2019
    On 14 Mar 2019 at 06:22p, Black Panther pondered and said...

Hear hear... :)

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to nathanael on Sat Mar 16 01:23:30 2019
    On 15 Mar 2019 at 08:47a, nathanael pondered and said...

True, but I was thinking off-topic for the thread. But then again, this
    is the "Computer died.. :(" thread, so I suppose the discussion was already off-topic :-)

We're a pretty relaxed bunch here, you might find we even update the subject line to something closer to the topic being discussed from time to time. I
    once had a cat...

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Vk3jed on Sat Mar 16 01:24:50 2019
    On 15 Mar 2019 at 12:27p, Vk3jed pondered and said...

I was in my 20s and at university - I was either up studying, partyin or BBSing until all hours of the night anyway. :)

I recalling calling Auckland late at night (a national toll call) to collect Renegade echomail and files (RGSNet) back around 1994/5

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Vk3jed on Sat Mar 16 01:25:23 2019
    On 15 Mar 2019 at 12:35p, Vk3jed pondered and said...

Just gotta watch the chocolate mustache :)

Best, Paul

• From nathanael@21:4/123 to Avon on Fri Mar 15 20:54:00 2019
    you might find we even update the
    subject line

I almost did that once about a week ago, then thought, "Nah, then no one
    would be able to follow the thread."

• From nathanael@21:4/123 to Avon on Fri Mar 15 21:03:09 2019
    I always laugh at anyone called Dr Bob

Then locally where I grew up we had the Docter family, the mother and father
    of which were -- you guessed it -- doctors. I used to work at the same
    hospital as he did, and it was always amusing to hear him paged. Their daughters, Sarah and Mary, were Olympic speed skaters back in the late '70s-early '80s.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to nathanael on Sat Mar 16 02:03:43 2019
    On 15 Mar 2019 at 04:54p, nathanael pondered and said...

you might find we even update the
    subject line

I almost did that once about a week ago, then thought, "Nah, then no one would be able to follow the thread."

yeah it's a jungle...err... zoo out there :)

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to nathanael on Sat Mar 16 02:05:06 2019
    On 15 Mar 2019 at 05:03p, nathanael pondered and said...

Then locally where I grew up we had the Docter family, the mother and father of which were -- you guessed it -- doctors. I used to work at the

Bet you they liked the Thompson Twins... Doctor Doctor... can't you hear I'm calling...

Best, Paul

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Sat Mar 16 00:44:00 2019
    On 03-15-19 21:24, Avon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I recalling calling Auckland late at night (a national toll call) to collect Renegade echomail and files (RGSNet) back around 1994/5

Cool. :) We used to call Brisbane and the USA nightly, at least. :)

... Whosoever diggeth a pit shall falleth therein.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Sat Mar 16 00:44:00 2019
    On 03-15-19 21:25, Avon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

On 15 Mar 2019 at 12:35p, Vk3jed pondered and said...

Just gotta watch the chocolate mustache :)

Hahaha

... Your rims and sound system should not be worth more than your car.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Sat Mar 16 00:59:00 2019
    On 03-15-19 21:19, Avon wrote to Black Panther <=-

On 14 Mar 2019 at 05:52p, Black Panther pondered and said...

It's a diuretic #funfact

It is, and it just adds to the diuretic that I take with my blood
    pressure medication... :(

A a case of wee wee then? :)

Brings a whole new meaning to "being on the piss" :D

(In Australian slang, "on the piss" means drinking alcohol heavily, as in "a night on the piss getting smashed". :D

... Cats are purrfect
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Avon on Fri Mar 15 10:12:02 2019
    By: Avon to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Mar 15 2019 11:16 am

I was in my 20s and at university - I was either up studying, partying pF>> or BBSing until all hours of the night anyway. :)

In what order of importance? :) Upon re-reading my post, I should have reversed the order.
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Win32
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Black Panther on Fri Mar 15 10:16:07 2019
    By: Black Panther to nathanael on Thu Mar 14 2019 05:54 pm

There's a gas station here, that sells a tavel coffee mug that must hold a gallon. This thing is huge. I've been tempted to get one, and bring it with me to meetings at work... :)

I knew my last gig wasn't going to work out when they had 2 consumer-grade Keurig coffee makers and a BYOKC (Bring Your Own K-Cup) policy.

I picked up a little Black and Decker single-cup coffee maker called a Brew n' Go for $18 that has a showerhead design and gets the water to a proper 192 degrees. Then, found an electric Moka Pot with steaming wand at the local thrift store for a more serious dose.
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Win32
  • From Dmxrob@21:4/148 to nathanael on Fri Mar 15 14:33:51 2019
    By: nathanael to Vk3jed on Fri Mar 15 2019 12:45 pm

home users and called it PC Pursuit. For $15 a month you could connect to a local switch, from there to any other switch in the Telenet network, then outdial from that switch to local BBSes, allowing you to avoid long distance charges.

Back around 1988 I got involved with friends dumpster diving at our local Southwestern Bell exchange office. They had just installed a new ESS switch, and we found a ton of manuals about it. Then we found how to remotely dial-in to the switch. From about late '88 until around '90 had free long distance.

One of my friends got a little too involved with getting into the system. He got caught big time. Spent about 3 months in jail on that one, plus a hefty fine. After that happened, we all stopped doing it and pretty much didn't even talk about it!

--- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
  • From nathanael@21:4/123 to Dmxrob on Sat Mar 16 04:06:10 2019
    remotely dial-in to the switch. From about late '88 until around '90
    had free long distance.

In college I had a roommate who got a job at the phone company, where he learned all the secret * and # codes phone technicians used for accessing hidden features, including bypassing long-distance. Wish I could remember
    what they were.

• From James Digriz@21:4/128 to Dmxrob on Fri Mar 15 20:43:55 2019
    Dmxrob wrote to nathanael:
    By: nathanael to Vk3jed on Fri Mar 15 2019 12:45 pm

Back around 1988 I got involved with friends dumpster diving at our local Southwestern Bell exchange office. They had just installed a new ESS switch,
    and we found a ton of manuals about it. Then we found how to remotely dial-in
    to the switch. From about late '88 until around '90 had free long distance.

One of my friends got a little too involved with getting into the system. He
    got caught big time. Spent about 3 months in jail on that one, plus a hefty
    fine. After that happened, we all stopped doing it and pretty much didn't even
    talk about it!

This was in the lead-up to Operation Sundevil, then. Lucky those weren't E911 documents or you really would have been in hot water!.

I'm actually looking for hardware,docs and software for the AT&T 3B20D, which was used in 4ESS and 5ESS switches, or the later Solaris emultor, or DMERT, etc.
    Seth Morabito has a 3b2/400 emulator running currently and is working on 3b2/1000. ERT, etc. https://loomcom.com/3b2/emulator.html. I'm
    interested in helping get it to 3b20 level is why I'm asking if anyone knows where I can find anything.

jbdigriz

Greetings, James Digriz
    email: jbdigriz@bbs.dragonsweb.org

--- MBSE BBS v1.0.7.11 (GNU/Linux-x86_64)
    * Origin: DragonsWeb Labs BBS 21:4/128 (21:4/128)
  • From Dmxrob@21:4/148 to James Digriz on Fri Mar 15 22:11:17 2019
    By: James Digriz to Dmxrob on Fri Mar 15 2019 04:43 pm

I'm actually looking for hardware,docs and software for the AT&T 3B20D, which was used in 4ESS and 5ESS switches, or the later Solaris emultor, or

I am not promising anything, but I will go through some boxes when I do some spring cleaning here. I used to have a ton of the manuals from back then I kept over the years on both 4ESS and 5ESS switch operation, including a lot about the adminstrator module and toll functions. Most of it by now I am sure AT&T has long forgotten about ;-)

If I can locate some of those, I will PDF them and let you know.

--- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Avon on Fri Mar 15 22:32:25 2019
    On 15 Mar 2019, Avon said the following...

We have a couple of shops here in Dunedin that sell PC parts and when I can afford it I enjoy getting bits together to build a new system...
    it's a rewarding feeling to do it yourself. Bummer you can't source the stuff you want.

I may have found someone who offers a mobile computer store in my area... I'm looking for something else I need to upgrade, so I can contact him... :)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Sat Mar 16 17:35:54 2019
    On 15 Mar 2019 at 06:32p, Black Panther pondered and said...

I may have found someone who offers a mobile computer store in my
    area... I'm looking for something else I need to upgrade, so I can
    contact him... :)

Like a mobile repair firm? We have some here that do that, one called Geek
    Fix :)

Best, Paul

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to nathanael on Fri Mar 15 22:37:36 2019

Then locally where I grew up we had the Docter family, the mother and father of which were -- you guessed it -- doctors. I used to work at the same hospital as he did, and it was always amusing to hear him paged. Their daughters, Sarah and Mary, were Olympic speed skaters back in the late '70s-early '80s.

That just made me think of the movie Spies Like Us... :)

Doctor Doctor
    Doctor Doctor
    etc...

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Avon on Fri Mar 15 22:52:58 2019
    On 16 Mar 2019, Avon said the following...

Like a mobile repair firm? We have some here that do that, one called
    Geek Fix :)

This one is actually run by a fellow Sysop, and doesn't live too far from me.
    I don't want to mention Shane's name though... ;)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to nathanael on Fri Mar 15 21:41:31 2019
    By: nathanael to Dmxrob on Sat Mar 16 2019 12:06 am

In college I had a roommate who got a job at the phone company, where he learned all the secret * and # codes phone technicians used for accessing hidden features, including bypassing long-distance. Wish I could remember what they were.

I was a telecom manager in a former life, and it was amazing how much information techs would share when you knew your stuff and were nice to them.

I worked in an office that used to be an old Pac Bell switching office. The basement was full of relay racks filled with binding posts, and the upstairs used to be where all of the operators sat. We had the same 2 techs come out every time I'd add a circuit, and they liked coming somewhere where they were treated with respect and they had a ton of cables coming into the building to choose from.

And, they talked...
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Win32
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Dmxrob on Fri Mar 15 21:51:16 2019
    By: Dmxrob to James Digriz on Fri Mar 15 2019 06:11 pm

I am not promising anything, but I will go through some boxes when I do some spring cleaning here. I used to have a ton of the manuals from back then I kept over the years on both 4ESS and 5ESS switch operation, including a lot about the adminstrator module and toll functions. Most of it by now I am sure AT&T has long forgotten about ;-)

I'd love to put them up on my BBS, as I mentioned, I was a telecom manager in a former life.

I have a Nortel cheat sheet on my web site that gets a dozen or so hits a day at http://www.kataan.org/nortel-pbx-cheat-sheet/, I'll dig up my old NTPs (nortel speak for manuals) and put them up, too.
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Win32
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Sat Mar 16 18:10:59 2019
    On 15 Mar 2019 at 06:52p, Black Panther pondered and said...
    from me. I don't want to mention Shane's name though... ;)

No I'd understand that on account of wanting to keep things on the down low :)

Best, Paul

• From James Digriz@21:4/128 to Dmxrob on Sat Mar 16 01:33:26 2019
    Dmxrob wrote to James Digriz:
    By: James Digriz to Dmxrob on Fri Mar 15 2019 04:43 pm

<cut>

Kewl if you can. Looking forward to them.

Thanks,
    jbdigriz

Greetings, James Digriz

• From James Digriz@21:4/128 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Mar 16 01:39:37 2019
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Dmxrob:

I'd love to put them up on my BBS, as I mentioned, I was a telecom manager in a
    former life.

I have a Nortel cheat sheet on my web site that gets a dozen or so hits a day
    at http://www.kataan.org/nortel-pbx-cheat-sheet/, I'll dig up my old NTPs (nortel speak for manuals) and put them up, too.

More kewlness. Outstanding.

jbdigriz

Greetings, James Digriz

• From Avon@21:1/101 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Mar 17 12:56:01 2019
    On 15 Mar 2019 at 06:12a, poindexter FORTRAN pondered and said...

In what order of importance? :) Upon re-reading my post, I should have reversed the order.

My official line has always been I studied hard... at least the bits I can remember I did :)

Best, Paul

• From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Nathanael on Sat Mar 16 21:29:58 2019

PC Pursuit was a service run by Telenet, which in the '70s became one of
    the first nationwide packet-switching networks in the US, with at its peak more than 1000 switches. In the early '08s they opened their network at night to home users and called it PC Pursuit. For $15 a month you could connect to a local switch, from there to any other switch in the Telenet network, then outdial from that switch to local BBSes, allowing you to
    avoid long distance charges.

There were certain exchanges on PC Pursuit where you could call anywhere. I remember going to Ohio and then being able to call LD to anywhere in the US for
    free.

All the hoops we would go through back then to make long distance connectivity and here we are today just a ping away from anywhere.
    - Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
    * Origin: http://www.weather-station.org * Bel Air, MD -USA (21:1/132.0)
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Nathanael on Sat Mar 16 21:39:57 2019

In college I had a roommate who got a job at the phone company, where he learned all the secret * and # codes phone technicians used for accessing hidden features, including bypassing long-distance. Wish I could remember what they were.

There where ways to do that on pay phones back in the day. When I was a teen, one of my side jobs was repairing and collecting money from pay phones. I knew
    the codes to bypass putting money in them to make a call. The codes were specific to the company that owned the phones.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
    * Origin: http://www.weather-station.org * Bel Air, MD -USA (21:1/132.0)
  • From nathanael@21:4/123 to Weatherman on Sun Mar 17 10:29:22 2019
    All the hoops we would go through back then to make long distance connectivity and here we are today just a ping away from anywhere.

In university back in the early '80s I spent my junior year at a French university. My mother used to call me on occasion. That involved her calling the local telco, which manually forwarded her to a regional telco in Chicago, which connected her to Paris, etc. It would take ten minutes or more to get
    me on the phone - at $7/min.

Today we do video calls several times a week for free.

Technology is amazing.

• From nathanael@21:4/123 to Weatherman on Sun Mar 17 10:31:34 2019
    call. The codes were specific to the company that owned the phones.

Ah, didn't know that (makes sense though). Makes me regret less not
    remembering them.

• From PalKat@21:4/137 to Black Panther on Sat Mar 16 23:07:27 2019
    from me. I don't want to mention Shane's name though... ;)

Watch out for them there Irish feller's, tomorrow be their Patty's Day ya know!! LOL

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to nathanael on Sun Mar 17 16:21:00 2019
    On 03-17-19 06:29, nathanael wrote to Weatherman <=-

In university back in the early '80s I spent my junior year at a French university. My mother used to call me on occasion. That involved her calling the local telco, which manually forwarded her to a regional
    telco in Chicago, which connected her to Paris, etc. It would take ten minutes or more to get me on the phone - at $7/min.

We already had automatic long distance calling, though I think our original exchange was an ancient crossbar exchange. It only supported rotary dialing and crossed lines weren't too uncommon. Also, on Sunday evenings, the whole town was uncontactable, because the volume of calls was higher than the total number of lines in the main trunk at the exchange.

In the mid 1980s, we were upgraded to the latest and greatest digital exchange technology, and capacity was upgraded. Call quality improved dramatically and all those other hiccups went away.

There were still a small number of manual echanges back then, accessed by calling weird area codes, then talking to the operator at the far end to get the call put through.

Today we do video calls several times a week for free.

I make a lot less calls nowadays! :)

... Kitty litter: created by exploding catnip.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Avon on Sun Mar 17 01:23:23 2019
    On 17 Mar 2019, Avon said the following...

In what order of importance? :) Upon re-reading my post, I should hav reversed the order.

My official line has always been I studied hard... at least the bits I
    can remember I did :)

But, what were you studying? Me, I like to study drinking, women, and computers... Not necessarily in that order... ;)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS

• From nristen@21:1/161 to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Mar 18 16:04:49 2019

Ask your supervisor if he wants a little coffee with his cream and sugar.

Nristen
    aka karl harris
    keybase.io/nristen

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2018/12/27 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: searchbbs.fsxnet.nz:34123 / SSH 2222 (21:1/161)
  • From nristen@21:1/161 to nathanael on Mon Mar 18 18:03:58 2019
    PC Pursuit was a service run by Telenet, which in the '70s became one of the first nationwide packet-switching networks in the US, with at its
    peak more than 1000 switches. In the early '08s they opened their
    network at night to home users and called it PC Pursuit. For $15 a month you could connect to a local switch, from there to any other switch in
    the Telenet network, then outdial from that switch to local BBSes, allowing you to avoid long distance charges.

Thanks for that info. I had never heard of that before. I wish I had known about that - would have saved on some phone bills back then.

Nristen
    aka karl harris
    keybase.io/nristen

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2018/12/27 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: searchbbs.fsxnet.nz:34123 / SSH 2222 (21:1/161)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Vorlon on Mon Oct 25 15:28:01 2021
    On 24 Oct 2021 at 04:35p, Vorlon pondered and said...

It's a good rule and probably one most don't even think to adopt.
    Yes, your out to enjoy yourself, not to browse the internet for silly sh*t! ^-)

Yeah I'm a saint I've never looked at cat memes :) Never... well... :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/09/29 (Linux/64)
  • From Vorlon@21:1/195.1 to Avon on Tue Oct 26 09:38:12 2021

Hello Avon!

25 Oct 21 15:28, you wrote to me:

It's a good rule and probably one most don't even think to
    adopt. Yes, your out to enjoy yourself, not to browse the
    internet for silly sh*t! ^-)

Yeah I'm a saint I've never looked at cat memes :) Never... well... :)

I could post something to respond to that, but this is a txt based system. &-)

Vorlon

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
    * Origin: \/orlon Empire: Sector 550 (21:1/195.1)
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110 to Vorlon on Mon Oct 25 19:13:56 2021
    On 26 Oct 2021, Vorlon said the following...

I could post something to respond to that, but this is a txt based
    system. &-)

( i can haz cheezburger? )
    /
    /
    /
    /\_/\ ___
    = o_o =_______ \ \
    __^ __( \.__) )
    (@)<_____>__(_____)____/

... Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/10/25 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms (21:3/110)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Warpslide on Tue Oct 26 15:18:17 2021
    On 25 Oct 2021 at 07:13p, Warpslide pondered and said...

I could post something to respond to that, but this is a txt based system. &-)

/
    /
    /
    /\_/\ ___
    = o_o =_______ \ \
    __^ __( \.__) )
    (@)<_____>__(_____)____/

there it is :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/09/29 (Linux/64)
  • From Vorlon@21:1/195.1 to Warpslide on Wed Oct 27 10:08:48 2021

Hello Warpslide!

25 Oct 21 19:13, you wrote to me:

I could post something to respond to that, but this is a txt
    based system. &-)

/
    /
    /
    /\_/\ ___
    = o_o =_______ \ \
    __^ __( \.__) )
    (@)<_____>__(_____)____/

hummm, ascii porn! #-)

Vorlon

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
    * Origin: \/orlon Empire: Sector 550 (21:1/195.1)