• Long Day

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Thu Mar 21 01:39:58 2019
    Been a long one today, a good one, will post more tomorrow when I am awake again... night all.

Best, Paul

--- E:avon@bbs.nz ------ W:bbs.nz ---
    --- K:keybase.io/avon --------------

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Fri Nov 22 02:41:55 2019
    Just got home after flying back down country, it's coming up 10pm and I have been up since 4am. Time for a shower and bed, work again tomorrow.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Avon on Thu Nov 21 06:07:10 2019
    Just got home after flying back down country, it's coming up 10pm and I have been up since 4am. Time for a shower and bed, work again tomorrow.

Sorry you had to come home after a long day like that and had to find
    problems that needed your attention.. :(

But thanks for taking care of that.. I think all is well again.. :)

Ttyl :-),
    Al

--- MagickaBBS v0.13alpha (Linux/x86_64)
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From Static@21:2/140 to Al on Thu Nov 21 09:23:13 2019
    On 21 Nov 2019, Al said the following...
    Just got home after flying back down country, it's coming up 10pm and have been up since 4am. Time for a shower and bed, work again tomorro

Sorry you had to come home after a long day like that and had to find problems that needed your attention.. :(

Isn't that how it always goes, though?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Subcarrier BBS (21:2/140)
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to Avon on Fri Nov 22 00:02:39 2019
    On 21 Nov 2019, Avon said the following...

Sleep well, Avon!

And thanks for all the work you put into all this. :)

Best regards
    Zip

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Static on Thu Nov 21 17:18:34 2019
    Sorry you had to come home after a long day like that and had to find problems that needed your attention.. :(

Isn't that how it always goes, though?

Isn't it though. I have found in my own case I can sit here and look at
    all this for months and it works fine and dandy. Step away for an hour
    and ??? happens.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

--- MagickaBBS v0.13alpha (Linux/x86_64)
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Wed Feb 24 01:17:39 2021
    Tuesday night here and it feels like it should be Friday tomorrow. Phew :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Wed Jan 19 23:10:59 2022
    It's nearly 11pm I should be in bed asleep now (or trying) but I've been responding to echomails, reading messages, replying to BBS related emails etc. etc. it's been all rather fun and the time after dinner went poof!

I'm day 3 back into my working year after taking some time off over Christmas and the new year for a holiday. Got to around 2pm today and the brain hit the wall... total mush, felt super tired... guess that's kinda normal when you come back to the demands of a 8.30am - 5pm day... but still - meh.

Anywho, quick post and 'hey' to all reading, hope life's treating you OK and if not I hope the tough bit passes you by soon enough and you get to have some better days too.

I don't know about you but these days do feel more unsettled and a bit more stressy with pandemic, work security, thinking about welbeing of family members etc... lordy I sound old ...

But that all said, I do try to stay grounded, remind myself of things to be greatful for that happened to me during the day I have just had and if feeling so so make a point of going for a walk. walking and the act of moving really helps... well it does for me anyways :)

OK best I get some zzz, and the amazon clock will bong at 7am before I know it...

Best, Paul

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/11/06 (Linux/64)
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to Avon on Wed Jan 19 17:20:00 2022
    Hello Avon!

On 19 Jan 2022, Avon said the following...
    emails etc. etc. it's been all rather fun and the time after dinner
    went poof!

Time sure flies!

I'm day 3 back into my working year after taking some time off over Christmas and the new year for a holiday. Got to around 2pm today and

Same thing here! Although caught a cold (fortunately not something worse) the past weekend but all OK again now.

Will be getting my 3rd jab this Friday, hopefully all goes well with that...

Anywho, quick post and 'hey' to all reading, hope life's treating you OK and if not I hope the tough bit passes you by soon enough and you get to have some better days too.

Thanks, and back at you! :)

OK best I get some zzz, and the amazon clock will bong at 7am before I know it...

Sleep well, and catch you later! :)

Best regards
    Zip

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/01/11 (Linux/64)
  • From McDoob@21:4/135 to Zip on Wed Jan 19 11:44:11 2022
    Same thing here! Although caught a cold (fortunately not something
    worse) the past weekend but all OK again now.

That's one positive from all this isolation. I haven't caught a cold in three years! (^_^)

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: PiBBS (21:4/135)
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to McDoob on Wed Jan 19 18:00:34 2022
    Hello McDoob!

On 19 Jan 2022, McDoob said the following...
    Same thing here! Although caught a cold (fortunately not something worse) the past weekend but all OK again now.

That's one positive from all this isolation. I haven't caught a cold in three years! (^_^)

Lucky you -- I seem to get them no matter what, both before and during this pandemic... Although have of course been visiting stores for food etc.

Best regards
    Zip

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/01/11 (Linux/64)
  • From Mickey@21:1/156 to McDoob on Wed Jan 19 21:19:35 2022
    On 19 Jan 2022, McDoob said the following...

Damn, maybe these shots their giving us are really a cure for the common cold.

<grin>

Mick Manning
    -(< BluesNET - The Musician's Network >)-

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Central Ontario BluesNET (21:1/156)
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to Avon on Thu Jan 20 23:50:39 2022

It's nearly 11pm I should be in bed asleep now (or trying) but I've been responding to echomails, reading messages, replying to BBS related
    emails etc. etc. it's been all rather fun and the time after dinner
    went poof!

I'm day 3 back into my working year after taking some time off over Christmas and the new year for a holiday. Got to around 2pm today and
    the brain hit the wall... total mush, felt super tired... guess that's kinda normal when you come back to the demands of a 8.30am - 5pm day... but still - meh.

I don't know about you but these days do feel more unsettled and a bit more stressy with pandemic, work security, thinking about welbeing of family members etc... lordy I sound old ...

But that all said, I do try to stay grounded, remind myself of things to be greatful for that happened to me during the day I have just had and
    if feeling so so make a point of going for a walk. walking and the act
    of moving really helps... well it does for me anyways :)

Best, Paul

Greetings! I've just come back from holiday myself! I was able to browse this BSS using Putty on my old Blackberry style Nokia, though without CP437 support, or being able to get screen dimensions of 80x25, things came through garbled.

On top of that, I had to SSH to my Raspberry Pi at home then telnet from there to a BBS.

Yes, even though I was on a break, I need to keep my mind active and one project is learning if it is possible set up "private" nets like this, which can be for closed groups, encrypted. Learning how all this works has been difficult due to the lack of material out there.

But I shall persevere.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Zip on Sun Jan 23 16:44:00 2022
    On 19 Jan 2022 at 05:20p, Zip pondered and said...

Hope it went well Zip. I have kids that are due t get theirs early next month also. Can't come soon enough.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to boraxman on Sun Jan 23 16:49:20 2022
    On 20 Jan 2022 at 11:50p, boraxman pondered and said...

Greetings! I've just come back from holiday myself! I was able to
    browse this BSS using Putty on my old Blackberry style Nokia, though without CP437 support, or being able to get screen dimensions of 80x25, things came through garbled.

On top of that, I had to SSH to my Raspberry Pi at home then telnet from there to a BBS.

golly, well you win a prize for perseverance and the journey to get here :)

Yes, even though I was on a break, I need to keep my mind active and one project is learning if it is possible set up "private" nets like this, which can be for closed groups, encrypted. Learning how all this works has been difficult due to the lack of material out there.

I wouldn't say this one is 'private' in any real sense but it's certainly possible to set up FTN networks such as this, and encryption / security has been an interest of mine for some time also.

I'm not a security expert but when the subject as come up before, those who know way more about it then I often talk about where lines of 'secure' comms can be enforced etc.

I've always like the idea of secure encrypted FTN networks, but the devil is in the implementation details it seems.

• From Zip@21:1/202 to Avon on Sun Jan 23 20:14:10 2022
    Hello Avon!

On 23 Jan 2022, Avon said the following...

Hope it went well Zip. I have kids that are due t get theirs early next month also. Can't come soon enough.

Right! All is well here, no side effects so far, so I guess all is good. :)

Best regards
    Zip

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/01/19 (Linux/64)
  • From seeLive@21:2/128 to Avon on Sun Jan 23 19:20:14 2022
    On 19 Jan 2022, Avon said the following...

Thanks, Paul... I appreciate that... and, the same to you!

I definitely feel you... the world does feel a bit upside down these days...

But that all said, I do try to stay grounded, remind myself of things to be greatful for that happened to me during the day I have just had and
    if feeling so so make a point of going for a walk. walking and the act
    of moving really helps... well it does for me anyways :)

good advice... me too!

(,``,"> rusty sez... Re-livin' the dream...

* Origin: seeLive's rustyHedgehog - therhh.dynv6.net:2300 (21:2/128)
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to Avon on Mon Jan 24 19:11:37 2022
    I wouldn't say this one is 'private' in any real sense but it's certainly possible to set up FTN networks such as this, and encryption / security

has been an interest of mine for some time also.

I'm not a security expert but when the subject as come up before, those who know way more about it then I often talk about where lines of
    'secure' comms can be enforced etc.

I've always like the idea of secure encrypted FTN networks, but the
    devil is in the implementation details it seems.

My children on holiday befriended some other children who were staying in the same apartment complex. They wanted to keep in communication after the holiday ended, but my wife and I, as well as their parents, are reticent
    about allowing them onto things like "Kids Messenger" which is a Facebook "service". Sure, they can e-mail, and that is OK, but this distrust highlighted a major problem. The problem isn't that we don't want children communicating electronically, the problem is privacy. Can you trust the app? Do you want them on Social Media (No!!) I thought of how cool it would be for them to just be able to log into my BBS, chat, message there. Or play "Food Fight" against each other. None of these privacy issues, or concerns about what someone might do with the data exist. Sure, the Sysop (me) can see, but you want parental oversight, so that is a good, not bad thing. You can even limit their online time by simply setting a suitable allowable amount of time per day.

There are other ways to achieve the same thing, or something similar. Such as Matrix, which it seems you can create your own private set up, though I'm not too keen on an Electron based client and I'm not quite sure how you can federate with others, while keeping that federation itself quarantined. FTN networks can do this (provided people cooperate). It does appear that Mystic is easier to get up and running.

Most people kind of have accepted as a given that if you want to talk to others online, you must do it on someone elses territory, to their rule and whims, and subject to their exploitation of everything you do and say.
    Doesn't have to be that way.

• From tenser@21:1/101 to boraxman on Tue Jan 25 03:04:33 2022
    On 24 Jan 2022 at 07:11p, boraxman pondered and said...

There are other ways to achieve the same thing, or something similar. Such as Matrix, which it seems you can create your own private set up, though I'm not too keen on an Electron based client and I'm not quite
    sure how you can federate with others, while keeping that federation itself quarantined. FTN networks can do this (provided people
    cooperate). It does appear that Mystic is easier to get up and running.

I trust the security of Element a lot more than I trust the
    security of Mystic, but anyway, there are command-line Matrix
    clients; why not use one of them? Or even a private IRC server
    for that matter? IRC over TLS has pretty decent support.

For kids, a private timesharing Unix machine would be a lot
    more interesting than a BBS: you can provide all the traditional
    BBS functionality but a whole lot more, too. And with a modern
    Unix variant, it can be approximately as secure as anything else
    out there.

We've got a "family" timesharing box down in the basement; it's
    a SiFive unmatched board running OpenBSD-current. The kids like
    to login and play "robots" and "rogue".

• From Arelor@21:2/138 to boraxman on Mon Jan 24 08:42:59 2022
    Re: Re: Long Day
    By: boraxman to Avon on Mon Jan 24 2022 07:11 pm

My children on holiday befriended some other children who were staying in th same apartment complex. They wanted to keep in communication after the holi ended, but my wife and I, as well as their parents, are reticent
    about allowing them onto things like "Kids Messenger" which is a Facebook "service". Sure, they can e-mail, and that is OK, but this distrust highlighted a major problem. The problem isn't that we don't want children communicating electronically, the problem is privacy. Can you trust the app Do you want them on Social Media (No!!) I thought of how cool it would be f them to just be able to log into my BBS, chat, message there. Or play "Food Fight" against each other. None of these privacy issues, or concerns about w someone might do with the data exist. Sure, the Sysop (me) can see, but you want parental oversight, so that is a good, not bad thing. You can even lim their online time by simply setting a suitable allowable amount of time per day.

There are other ways to achieve the same thing, or something similar. Such Matrix, which it seems you can create your own private set up, though I'm no too keen on an Electron based client and I'm not quite sure how you can federate with others, while keeping that federation itself quarantined. FTN networks can do this (provided people cooperate). It does appear that Mysti is easier to get up and running.

Most people kind of have accepted as a given that if you want to talk to oth online, you must do it on someone elses territory, to their rule and whims, subject to their exploitation of everything you do and say.
    Doesn't have to be that way.

When it comes to children, I am more concerned with Internet predators and scammers than I am about private data harvesting. Not that private data harvesting is harmless, but classical criminals are a couple of steps up in the threat scale.

I don't think it applies to your use case, but I am organizing a brithday party for my group so I have set a Mumble server for voice chat and a FOSS game server for playing Terraforming Mars online. In theory you could set a web interface for Mumble so everykid would be able to chat online from it. My friends and I use dedicated clients instead.

If you want to get regular kids to use the service you need something simple. A mailing list would do. FluxBB would do. You need something they can use with tools they are already familiar with or they won't get to use it. The only reason why somebody installs a client for some odd protocol they don't use anywhere else is because they absoñlutely need it (such as, none of my friends uses gopher, but some have installed a gopher client because of some content I offer which is not available under other protocols).

As you are interested in friend-to-friend networks, I will say that Retroshare deserves an honorable mention. It is resource hungry and not trivial to use, but it offers filesharing, chat and forum-like features in a distributed manner. It is intended so each node connects only to nodes designated as trustworthy friends.

Also, setting an IRC server with a web interface and a ZNC is an option :-)

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to tenser on Mon Jan 24 08:46:16 2022
    By: tenser to boraxman on Tue Jan 25 2022 03:04 am

How did you install Rogue, and which version did you install? THe typical bsdgames rogue is actually Rogue Clone III, and is not available on OpenBSD base due to license reasons.

I happen to keep a private port of the classical (actual) Rogues 3, 4 and 5.

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From tenser@21:1/101 to Arelor on Tue Jan 25 04:00:21 2022
    On 24 Jan 2022 at 08:46a, Arelor pondered and said...

How did you install Rogue, and which version did you install? THe typical bsdgames rogue is actually Rogue Clone III, and is not available on OpenBSD base due to license reasons.

I compiled it from source. The version I have appears to be
    5.3; I don't recall where I got it from. I mentioned to Ken
    Arnold that my kids when I saw him in November and he got a
    kick out of that.

• From Arelor@21:2/138 to tenser on Mon Jan 24 12:09:55 2022
    By: tenser to Arelor on Tue Jan 25 2022 04:00 am

On 24 Jan 2022 at 08:46a, Arelor pondered and said...

How did you install Rogue, and which version did you install? THe typic bsdgames rogue is actually Rogue Clone III, and is not available on OpenBSD base due to license reasons.

I compiled it from source. The version I have appears to be
    5.3; I don't recall where I got it from. I mentioned to Ken
    Arnold that my kids when I saw him in November and he got a
    kick out of that.

Did you get the source from the Rogue Restoration Project?

Nowadays the best source for Rogue and other early Roguelikes is the Early Roguelike Collection, which is a continuation of the Rogue Restoration Project. It fixes a bunch of bugs while staying historically accurate, and it is what my private ports are based on.

My private version of Rogue 5 has unveil and pledge support and it is what run on my public facing roguelikes server :-)

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From tenser@21:1/101 to Arelor on Tue Jan 25 08:39:20 2022
    On 24 Jan 2022 at 12:09p, Arelor pondered and said...

Did you get the source from the Rogue Restoration Project?

I honestly don't remember. :-(

Nowadays the best source for Rogue and other early Roguelikes is the
    Early Roguelike Collection, which is a continuation of the Rogue Restoration Project. It fixes a bunch of bugs while staying historically accurate, and it is what my private ports are based on.

Oh neato. I'll check that out.

My private version of Rogue 5 has unveil and pledge support and it is
    what run on my public facing roguelikes server :-)

Cool!

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to tenser on Tue Jan 25 22:40:51 2022
    I trust the security of Element a lot more than I trust the
    security of Mystic, but anyway, there are command-line Matrix
    clients; why not use one of them? Or even a private IRC server
    for that matter? IRC over TLS has pretty decent support.

For kids, a private timesharing Unix machine would be a lot
    more interesting than a BBS: you can provide all the traditional
    BBS functionality but a whole lot more, too. And with a modern
    Unix variant, it can be approximately as secure as anything else
    out there.

I suppose Mystic is dependent on the crypto library it uses. But access is done by SSH, and SSH IS secure. A timesharing Unix machine is interesting, I have used public access Unixes which comprise the "Smolnet". Exposing children to Unix and how to use it is worthwhile, but I think if they just want to message and chat, it should be through a program designed to do just that.

I've looked at the Pidgin client, which should work with Finch. They work, but from what I've read, they can be behind on features.

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Arelor on Tue Jan 25 23:07:51 2022
    When it comes to children, I am more concerned with Internet predators
    and scammers than I am about private data harvesting. Not that private data harvesting is harmless, but classical criminals are a couple of
    steps up in the threat scale.

Good point. Data harvesting is a type of predation, but not the physical thread of the type of predation you were referring to.

I don't think it applies to your use case, but I am organizing a
    brithday party for my group so I have set a Mumble server for voice chat and a FOSS game server for playing Terraforming Mars online. In theory
    you could set a web interface for Mumble so everykid would be able to
    chat online from it. My friends and I use dedicated clients instead.

If you want to get regular kids to use the service you need something simple. A mailing list would do. FluxBB would do. You need something
    they can use with tools they are already familiar with or they won't get to use it. The only reason why somebody installs a client for some odd protocol they don't use anywhere else is because they absoñlutely need
    it (such as, none of my friends uses gopher, but some have installed a gopher client because of some content I offer which is not available
    under other protocols).

Is the server self contained on your own hardware? I'm not too worried about using services hosted elsewhere, but Big Tech and the way they carry on has left a bad taste in my mouth. There are many good companies that don't act this way though.
    As you are interested in friend-to-friend networks, I will say that Retroshare deserves an honorable mention. It is resource hungry and not trivial to use, but it offers filesharing, chat and forum-like features
    in a distributed manner. It is intended so each node connects only to nodes designated as trustworthy friends.

Also, setting an IRC server with a web interface and a ZNC is an option :-)

Thanks for the recommendation, RetroShare looks pretty good! I think I'm going to play with this and check it out.

• From Arelor@21:2/138 to boraxman on Tue Jan 25 08:15:12 2022
    By: boraxman to Arelor on Tue Jan 25 2022 11:07 pm

Is the server self contained on your own hardware? I'm not too worried about using
    services hosted elsewhere, but Big Tech and the way they carry on has left a bad ta
    in my mouth. There are many good companies that don't act this way though.

All the alternatives I have mentioned are self-hostable.

A forum such as Flux BB you could host in your own wer server. If you don't like
    FLuxBB then you have many other forum packages to pick from. Simple Machines, PHPBB...
    the list is endless.

A mailing list is doable with your own server and it is not that hard to pull off. You
    may ask the IRCNow guys how did they deployed theirs :-) Afaik they just used OpenSMTPD (which is standard in OpenBSD) and a simple C program for mailing list
    management. It is very cool.

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From tenser@21:1/101 to boraxman on Wed Jan 26 03:22:02 2022
    On 25 Jan 2022 at 10:40p, boraxman pondered and said...

I suppose Mystic is dependent on the crypto library it uses. But access is done by SSH, and SSH IS secure.

Access to Matrix from e.g. Element is via TLS-protected connections,
    which is similarly secure, if not more so because one uses certificate authentication and those certs are signed, unlike the n^2 key
    distribution problem of SSH, no?

But I was referring to the implementation of mystic itself. The access
    method is one facet, sure, but if there are bugs in the program itself,
    it doesn't much matter.

A timesharing Unix machine is
    interesting, I have used public access Unixes which comprise the "Smolnet". Exposing children to Unix and how to use it is worthwhile,
    but I think if they just want to message and chat, it should be through
    a program designed to do just that.

Your choice, of course, but I think exposing them to the more general
    tool is useful in itself.

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to tenser on Wed Jan 26 13:21:45 2022
    which is similarly secure, if not more so because one uses certificate authentication and those certs are signed, unlike the n^2 key

Matrix does seem quite awesome. Some people I know were discussing having a kind of private group space. One mentioned BBS's, but that was for nostalgic reasons, partly. Matrix is more usable.

Your choice, of course, but I think exposing them to the more general
    tool is useful in itself.

I kind of do agree, but if they want to chat with friends, and we as parents don't want them on social media, or to create accounts "elsewhere", you've got go with options they can use easily. People here are quite sceptical about allowing kids on "the Internet", which to many lay people, means public forums with predators, etc.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Arelor on Thu Jan 27 09:53:00 2022
    On 01-25-22 08:15, Arelor wrote to boraxman <=-

A forum such as Flux BB you could host in your own wer server. If you don't like
    FLuxBB then you have many other forum packages to pick from. Simple Machines, PHPBB...
    the list is endless.

Eww @ web forums, though at least self hosting eliminstes a number of performance issues (related to load and latency). I'm still not a fan of the navigation on web forums, but at least a self hosted one doesn't feel like surfing in treacle. :)

A mailing list is doable with your own server and it is not that hard
    to pull off. You

Pretty straightforward.

... Success is being nothing but a quote.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to tenser on Thu Jan 27 09:58:00 2022
    On 01-26-22 03:22, tenser wrote to boraxman <=-

On 25 Jan 2022 at 10:40p, boraxman pondered and said...

I suppose Mystic is dependent on the crypto library it uses. But access is done by SSH, and SSH IS secure.

I haven't looked under the hood of Matrix, but I am liking it (using Element as my client).

But I was referring to the implementation of mystic itself. The access method is one facet, sure, but if there are bugs in the program itself,
    it doesn't much matter.

A timesharing Unix machine is
    interesting, I have used public access Unixes which comprise the "Smolnet". Exposing children to Unix and how to use it is worthwhile,
    but I think if they just want to message and chat, it should be through
    a program designed to do just that.

My first Internet account was a shell account on a shared Unix machine (running BSDi, IIRC). Did the job at the time, and I had Internet access using traditional text based clients.

... The best way to stop smoking is to carry wet matches.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vorlon@21:1/195.1 to Vk3jed on Thu Jan 27 10:59:28 2022

Hello Vk3jed!

27 Jan 22 09:58, you wrote to tenser:

My first Internet account was a shell account on a shared Unix machine (running BSDi, IIRC). Did the job at the time, and I had Internet
    access using traditional text based clients.

Same here, but it wasn't mine! It was a good friend's at the time.

Two hour time limit though. #(

I used it to download my first linux install on something like 18-24 3.5" floppies @ 14.4K or was it 9600bps.... Too long
    ago. How times have changed....

Vorlon

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
    * Origin: \/orlon Empire: Sector 550 (21:1/195.1)
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to Vk3jed on Thu Jan 27 22:10:40 2022
    Eww @ web forums, though at least self hosting eliminstes a number of performance issues (related to load and latency). I'm still not a fan
    of the navigation on web forums, but at least a self hosted one doesn't feel like surfing in treacle. :)

Some modern vbulletin web forums are nice. What is your preferred "forum" format?

I like web forums because you can scroll through the entire forum very easily.

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Vorlon on Thu Jan 27 06:55:00 2022
    Vorlon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

My first Internet account was a shell account on a shared Unix machine (running BSDi, IIRC). Did the job at the time, and I had Internet

I used it to download my first linux install on something like 18-24
    3.5" floppies @ 14.4K or was it 9600bps.... Too long ago. How times
    have changed....

BSDi for the win! That was my first "real" UNIX, following a couple of years supporting SCO Xenix.

Have you played with tildes? People are setting up single box unix systems with public_html spaces, gemini spaces, IRC channels federated with the
    other boxes, and a slew of console apps. It's like going back in time in a
    lot of ways.

... THE SEVEN JOURNEYS TO ITSELFNESS
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Vorlon@21:1/195.1 to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Jan 28 09:48:44 2022

Hello poindexter!

27 Jan 22 06:55, you wrote to me:

I used it to download my first linux install on something like
    18-24 3.5" floppies @ 14.4K or was it 9600bps.... Too long ago.
    How times have changed....

BSDi for the win! That was my first "real" UNIX, following a couple of years supporting SCO Xenix.

Have you played with tildes? People are setting up single box unix
    systems with public_html spaces, gemini spaces, IRC channels federated with the other boxes, and a slew of console apps. It's like going back
    in time in a lot of ways.

No I've not. I've gotten so used to having multiple windows/consols/apps running, that it's like looking
    at a forest! Plus at times there could be 5 pc's running that I'm doing things with. &-/

Vorlon

• From aLPHA@21:4/158.1 to boraxman on Fri Jan 28 00:09:16 2022
    Some modern vbulletin web forums are nice. What is your preferred
    "forum" format?

I actually like Discord's UI, at least in the native desktop app. Quick
    and easy access to channels, people, but no real way to read by "thread"
    -- everything is just attached to the channel's top, like a BBS!

|04a|12LPHA
    |03Alpha Complex |15- |11alphacomplex.us:2323

--- Talisman v0.35-dev (Linux/x86_64)
    * Origin: aLPHA cOMPLEX: You are in Error. No one is screaming. (21:4/158.1)
  • From Robert Wolfe@21:2/136 to Alpha on Thu Jan 27 19:29:06 2022
    Some modern vbulletin web forums are nice. What is your preferred "forum" format?

I actually like Discord's UI, at least in the native desktop app. Quick
    and easy access to channels, people, but no real way to read by "thread"
    -- everything is just attached to the channel's top, like a BBS!

|04a|12LPHA

* Origin: aLPHA cOMPLEX: You are in Error. No one is screaming.
    (21:4/158.1

Wanted to play with Talisman under Windows for a bit, but when I went
    to run the Windows installer, I got a message saying that the installer
    was not a valid Win32 application. Will it not install under 2003?

... None of these Taglines were sexist or offensive? Where did I go *WRONG*? --- Wildcat! v8.0.454.12 (May 9 2021), Editor Mod v2.1
    * Origin: Omicron Theta * Southaven MS * winserver.org (21:2/136)
  • From aLPHA@21:4/158.1 to Robert Wolfe on Fri Jan 28 04:22:16 2022
    to run the Windows installer, I got a message saying that the
    installer

Dunno. I do think some people here run the Win32 version, but Apam would
    be the one to ask...

|04a|12LPHA

• From apam@21:1/151 to aLPHA on Fri Jan 28 15:11:14 2022

Dunno. I do think some people here run the Win32 version, but Apam
    would be the one to ask...

Windows 2003 is way to old, it definitly wont run on anything older than Windows 7. I don't really know if it runs on anything lower than Windows
    10 though as I don't have those OSes to test with.

Andrew

--
    |03Andrew Pamment |08(|11apam|08)
    |13Happy|10Land |14v2.0|08!|07

--- Talisman v0.36-dev (Windows/x64)
    * Origin: The Grinning Cat - telnet://gcat.talismanbbs.com:11823 (21:1/151)
  • From Robert Wolfe@21:2/136 to Alpha on Fri Jan 28 07:06:26 2022
    to run the Windows installer, I got a message saying that the
    installer

Dunno. I do think some people here run the Win32 version, but Apam would
    be the one to ask...

Ok, I might have to see if I can get it to run on a newer version of
    Windows Server and see what happens.
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v7.0
    * Origin: Omicron Theta * Southaven MS * winserver.org (21:2/136)
  • From Geri Atricks@21:4/102 to aLPHA on Fri Jan 28 10:00:49 2022
    I actually like Discord's UI, at least in the native desktop app. Quick and easy access to channels, people, but no real way to read by "thread" -- everything is just attached to the channel's top, like a BBS!

This is no longer true. Discord has added a "thread" function to better sort messages within a channel.
    ---

Legends of Yesteryear (FIDO 1:123/256) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23322

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Legends of Yesteryear (furmenservices.net:23322) (21:4/102)
  • From aLPHA@21:4/158.1 to Geri Atricks on Sat Jan 29 01:11:14 2022
    This is no longer true. Discord has added a "thread" function to
    better sort
    messages within a channel.

Oh, fantastic!

|04a|12LPHA

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Vorlon on Sun Jan 30 20:03:00 2022
    On 01-27-22 10:59, Vorlon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Hello Vk3jed!

27 Jan 22 09:58, you wrote to tenser:

Haha OK, I had to do a more conventional ISP subscription.

I used it to download my first linux install on something like 18-24
    3.5" floppies @ 14.4K or was it 9600bps.... Too long
    ago. How times have changed....

Ouch, long download times. Been there. :D

... Don't wait for your ship to come in - swim out to it.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to boraxman on Sun Jan 30 20:08:00 2022
    On 01-27-22 22:10, boraxman wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Eww @ web forums, though at least self hosting eliminstes a number of performance issues (related to load and latency). I'm still not a fan
    of the navigation on web forums, but at least a self hosted one doesn't feel like surfing in treacle. :)

Some modern vbulletin web forums are nice. What is your preferred
    "forum" format?

I prefer dedicated clients that aren't subject to the limitations of web browsers. And isolation from the network can help with responsiveness too.

I like web forums because you can scroll through the entire forum very easily.

I dislike their sluggishness and convoluted navigation (I _really_ dislike having to go in and back out constantly - offline readers allow auto advance to the next group).

... Oxymoron: Windows Capable
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to Vk3jed on Sun Jan 30 23:44:59 2022
    I prefer dedicated clients that aren't subject to the limitations of web browsers. And isolation from the network can help with responsiveness too.

I dislike their sluggishness and convoluted navigation (I _really_
    dislike having to go in and back out constantly - offline readers allow auto advance to the next group).

Are the offline readers the dedicated clients you were referring to? Offline readers are fast, but at least the one I use, you only ever have access to new messages, not the entire history. Threads disappear if no one has posted to them.

Haven't come across any other dedicated client for forums.

• From opicron@21:3/126 to Vk3jed on Sun Jan 30 11:10:43 2022
    I dislike their sluggishness and convoluted navigation (I _really_ dislike having to go in and back out constantly - offline readers allow auto advan the next group).

Is this valid for your echomail reading too? What are you using to read/respond to echomails now?

I ask because I released a first version of an outlook style message reader
    for Mystic boards. So far the response has been good.

Eventually this solution is to grow into a IOS (later android) app which will connect to any (but first a dedicated) Mystic board to read a users email.

oP!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: TheForze - bbs.opicron.eu:23 (21:3/126)
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to boraxman on Sun Jan 30 09:29:00 2022
    Hello boraxman!

** On Sunday 30.01.22 - 23:44, boraxman wrote to Vk3jed:

Are the offline readers the dedicated clients you were
    referring to? Offline readers are fast, but at least the
    one I use, you only ever have access to new messages, not
    the entire history. Threads disappear if no one has posted
    to them.

Perhaps you might like to try OpenXP?

http://openxp.kolico.ca/sample-screenshots/ https://sourceforge.net/projects/openxp5/
    https://openxp.uk/

It's available for Win/32 and Linux.

You can configure to message retention for as long as you like.

--- OpenXP 5.0.51
    * Origin: (} Pointy McPointFace (21:4/106.21)
  • From Utopian Galt@21:4/108 to Opicron on Sun Jan 30 12:26:30 2022
    OPICRON(21:3/126) wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I ask because I released a first version of an outlook style message reader for Mystic boards. So far the response has been good.

Eventually this solution is to grow into a IOS (later android) app
    which will connect to any (but first a dedicated) Mystic board to read
    a users email.
    That is very promising, because many people have a fear of the command line interface which is rather sad.
    Right now the WINS author isnt really wanting to do much with WINS. But I think a smart phone/tablet app would be a winner for our community.

... I shop at the class gap. It's called the petit bourgeoisie.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52

--- WWIV 5.5.1.3261
    * Origin: inland utopia * socal usa * iutopia.mooo.com:2023 (21:4/108)
  • From Vorlon@21:1/195.1 to Vk3jed on Mon Jan 31 10:39:44 2022

Hello Vk3jed!

30 Jan 22 20:03, you wrote to me:

My first Internet account was a shell account on a shared Unix
    machine (running BSDi, IIRC). Did the job at the time, and I had
    Internet access using traditional text based clients.

Same here, but it wasn't mine! It was a good friend's at the
    time.

It was a uni connection for the students. (shhh, I didn't go to uni).

I used it to download my first linux install on something like
    18-24 3.5" floppies @ 14.4K or was it 9600bps.... Too long ago.
    How times have changed....

It was only a local call, so didn't really matter... Just spread it over a few days... Back then modem call's was all jo public
    could do. UP grading to the ISDN setup in the late 90's was a god send! Esp when we bonded the channel's to either 128k or 256k.

Vorlon

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to boraxman on Mon Jan 31 14:54:00 2022
    On 01-30-22 23:44, boraxman wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Are the offline readers the dedicated clients you were referring to? Offline readers are fast, but at least the one I use, you only ever
    have access to new messages, not the entire history. Threads disappear
    if no one has posted to them.

They are an old example, but there are offline readers that can archive the contents of multiple offline packets into a Squish or JAM messagebase, which can give close to the best of both worlds.

Haven't come across any other dedicated client for forums.

There is the Tapatalk mobile client for online web forums, but it suffers from being only an online client. Navigation is nice from memory, but does nothing for the poor performance. Tapatalk does require server side support to be installed on the server, but that's analagous to installing an offline mail (QWK or Bluewave) door on older BBSs.

... ALWAYS tell the truth - Unless something better is handy.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to opicron on Mon Jan 31 14:59:00 2022
    On 01-30-22 11:10, opicron wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I dislike their sluggishness and convoluted navigation (I _really_ dislike having to go in and back out constantly - offline readers allow auto advan the next group).

Is this valid for your echomail reading too? What are you using to read/respond to echomails now?

It is, but I'm using Multimail - a single keypress to advance to the next message, blazing fast performance.

I ask because I released a first version of an outlook style message reader for Mystic boards. So far the response has been good.

My main board is Synchronet, though I can test on the Mystic board. Is it completely online? Or cached/offline as well?

Eventually this solution is to grow into a IOS (later android) app
    which will connect to any (but first a dedicated) Mystic board to read
    a users email.

For mobile use, I definitely want offline for 2 reason - mobile online performance can really suck (though probably less so for a leightweight client), and some areas I go, there's very limited network coverage, online operation is rather frustrating at best.

... Imagine the music as a set of disconnected events
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Vorlon on Mon Jan 31 15:09:00 2022
    On 01-31-22 10:39, Vorlon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

It was a uni connection for the students. (shhh, I didn't go to uni).

Haha OK. I was almost out of uni by the time the Internet came along - was a very part time student doing onle one or two subjects.

It was only a local call, so didn't really matter... Just spread it

And hope it didn't drop too many times (zmodem resume is nice). :)

over a few days... Back then modem call's was all jo public
    could do. UP grading to the ISDN setup in the late 90's was a god
    send! Esp when we bonded the channel's to either 128k or 256k.

ISDN worked well, and the line rental wasn't too bad, but the call costs were a killer. :( At least we have NBN these days. :)

... Where is the non-smoking lifeboat?
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Vorlon on Fri Jan 28 06:41:00 2022
    Vorlon wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Have you played with tildes? People are setting up single box unix
    systems with public_html spaces, gemini spaces, IRC channels federated with the other boxes, and a slew of console apps. It's like going back
    in time in a lot of ways.

No I've not. I've gotten so used to having multiple
    windows/consols/apps running, that it's like looking at a forest! Plus
    at times there could be 5 pc's running that I'm doing things with. &-/

With my tilde, I've been experimenting with tmux and multiple windows in one SSH session. Reminds me of the old Desqview days.

... THE HEXAGONS OF AIM
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From Vorlon@21:1/195.1 to Vk3jed on Tue Feb 1 09:18:38 2022

Hello Vk3jed!

31 Jan 22 15:09, you wrote to me:

It was only a local call, so didn't really matter... Just spread
    it

Yeah, mostly. Some times it would start from scratch again, but only 1 in ten...

UP grading to the ISDN setup in the late 90's was a
    god send! Esp when we bonded the channel's to either 128k or
    256k.

ISDN worked well, and the line rental wasn't too bad, but the call
    costs were a killer. :( At least we have NBN these days. :)

Telscam, had deals going if you only called one number (In this case the internet pop), that the call costs
    stayed at a fixed charge! It also helped that I was involved with a small ISP! %-)

Vorlon

• From Vorlon@21:1/195.1 to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue Feb 1 10:09:10 2022

Hello poindexter!

28 Jan 22 06:41, you wrote to me:

No I've not. I've gotten so used to having multiple
    windows/consols/apps running, that it's like looking at a forest!
    Plus at times there could be 5 pc's running that I'm doing things
    with. &-/

With my tilde, I've been experimenting with tmux and multiple windows
    in one SSH session. Reminds me of the old Desqview days.

I don't know if that's a good thing or not, as interfaces are meant to be easer to use as technology progresses.
    But then I've still got a love for the Amiga's workbench interface!

I used to run a Amiga based theme on my linux mint system, but then it stopped working as updates for the rest of
    the system changed things to much.

Vorlon

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Vorlon on Wed Feb 2 16:32:00 2022
    On 02-01-22 09:18, Vorlon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Yeah, mostly. Some times it would start from scratch again, but only 1
    in ten...

Ouch. :)

Telscam, had deals going if you only called one number (In this case
    the internet pop), that the call costs
    stayed at a fixed charge! It also helped that I was involved with a
    small ISP! %-)

I never knew about that, would have been handy!

... Error reading FAT Table...Try Skinny one ? (Y/N)
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Vorlon on Tue Feb 1 06:49:00 2022
    Vorlon wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

I don't know if that's a good thing or not, as interfaces are meant to
    be easer to use as technology progresses. But then I've still got a
    love for the Amiga's workbench interface!

As a sysadmin, things like screen and tmux are very helpful. I can SSH into
    my jumpbox, then use tmux to create different labeled screens for multiple destination systems.

I used to run a Amiga based theme on my linux mint system, but then it stopped working as updates for the rest of the system changed things to much.

I keep wanting to go back to Litestep. I ran it back when I had 1GB, single core laptops, and had a simple NeXtStep-looking theme for it. It was nice,
    but required hand-hacking .ini files instead of dragging and dropping items.

... Disconnect from desire
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Vorlon on Tue Feb 1 07:42:00 2022
    Vorlon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Telscam, had deals going if you only called one number (In this case
    the internet pop), that the call costs stayed at a fixed charge! It
    also helped that I was involved with a small ISP! %-)

We had something called Centrex, it was a way of defining a "virtual PBX" before the internet. Calls within your Centrex group could go anywhere
    within your local area and calls were billed at a flat rate. There was an
    ISDN offering that lowered the cost dramatically between two dedicated numbers.

ISDN was a fun time for me, I was a telecom manager in a former life who
    knew networking. There were lots of tricks of the trade available if you
    knew what to do.

I worked for a company that had a WAN network for some of their workers,
    using a PRI circuit into their office and a handful of remote workers with
    BRI lines, all running on Ascend pipeline routers. I ran into a couple of technical issues with them, and had to call Pac Bell for advice. They had a BBS with some information, and suggested calling Scott Adams at 415-XXX-XXXX if you needed more information.

*That* Scott Adams. The creator of Dilbert. He'd set up the Pac Bell ISDN
    Help BBS.

Once I called him and got a rambling message that he was out of the office
    and his pager was in his desk, so call Wally at 415-XXX-XXXX. We did, explained our dilemma, and a geeky, nasally voice responded "Uh, how did you get this number? Customers aren't supposed to have this number?"

He sounded exactly like Wally from the Dilbert cartoon on TV.

About that same time, I remember looking through my company's phone bills
    and seeing one line with a ton of billing, local-toll calls every 10
    minutes, 24/7, to the tune of $400/month.

One of my engineering teams had set up a FirstClass server to connect with
    an engineering team 20 miles away and had it crash polling every 10 minutes.

Local toll calls were the most expensive tier - they were in your local exchange carrier's zone, so your long distance carrier wasn't supposed to carry them. Your monopoly local exchange carrier could charge what they wanted.

I suggested setting FC to poll only when mail was waiting, but the manager
    was concerned about latency and it wasn't his bill, so no.

I spoke to my telecom broker who suggested that I order busy call
    forwarding.

For $4.99 a month, I got busy call forwarding. Calls forwarded within the local exchange area were charged messages units (something like a penny a call)

So, I set up the destination number as the busy destination, then set up FirstClass to call *itself*.

Bingo.

... Change specifics to ambiguities
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From Sporathan@21:1/172 to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Feb 2 11:00:11 2022
    As a sysadmin, things like screen and tmux are very helpful. I can SSH into my jumpbox, then use tmux to create different labeled screens for multiple destination systems.

Don't forget the best feature - disconnect and reattach from/to tmux, leaving all the 'windows' in place. I've been doing this with Screen for a decade and
    a half, leaving windows open with things like ssh connections to servers.
    It's actually saved my ass a few times (like when a rogue script deleted /usr and nobody could log in).

I keep wanting to go back to Litestep. I ran it back when I had 1GB, single core laptops, and had a simple NeXtStep-looking theme for it. It was nice, but required hand-hacking .ini files instead of dragging and dropping items.

I miss *step so bad. One of these days I'm going to switch to AfterStep and lead the side of the screen with tons of those little square widget applets. That'll look amazing on a widescreen monitor.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS * bbs.bottomlessabyss.net (21:1/172)
  • From opicron@21:3/126 to Vk3jed on Wed Feb 2 20:12:44 2022

My main board is Synchronet, though I can test on the Mystic board. Is it completely online? Or cached/offline as well?

Ah its for mystic. Completely online. But this is the prelude to an
    ios/android app ^^.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: TheForze - bbs.opicron.eu:23 (21:3/126)
  • From seeLive@21:2/128 to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Feb 2 15:52:09 2022
    On 01 Feb 2022, poindexter FORTRAN said the following...
    *That* Scott Adams. The creator of Dilbert. He'd set up the Pac Bell
    ISDN Help BBS.

Once I called him and got a rambling message that he was out of the
    office and his pager was in his desk, so call Wally at 415-XXX-XXXX. We did, explained our dilemma, and a geeky, nasally voice responded "Uh,
    how did you get this number? Customers aren't supposed to have this number?"

He sounded exactly like Wally from the Dilbert cartoon on TV.

I've experienced some interesting things, but that's a really great story. Thanks, for sharing... ;-D

(,``,"> rusty sez... Re-livin' the dream...

* Origin: seeLive's rustyHedgehog - therhh.dynv6.net:2300 (21:2/128)
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to Sporathan on Thu Feb 3 22:29:15 2022
    Don't forget the best feature - disconnect and reattach from/to tmux, leaving all the 'windows' in place. I've been doing this with Screen for
    a decade and a half, leaving windows open with things like ssh
    connections to servers. It's actually saved my ass a few times (like
    when a rogue script deleted /usr and nobody could log in).

A nice feature. I prefer tmux, but one thing about screen I like, and why I use it for SSH connections is zmodem support.

I miss *step so bad. One of these days I'm going to switch to AfterStep and lead the side of the screen with tons of those little square widget applets. That'll look amazing on a widescreen monitor.

I used to use AfterStep at work many years back, back when it was version 1. AfterStep 2 seems to have stalled, and I found by default it loaded to slow.

WindowMaker is still around, and is a good NextStep clone. I would recommend WindowMaker now for a *Step window manager.

FVWM is also a good option (and my Window Manger of choice).

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Sporathan on Thu Feb 3 07:08:00 2022
    Sporathan wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

As a sysadmin, things like screen and tmux are very helpful. I can SSH into my jumpbox, then use tmux to create different labeled screens for multiple destination systems.

Don't forget the best feature - disconnect and reattach from/to tmux, leaving all the 'windows' in place. I've been doing this with Screen
    for a decade and a half, leaving windows open with things like ssh connections to servers. It's actually saved my ass a few times (like
    when a rogue script deleted /usr and nobody could log in).

Yes, I'm relying on tmux's ability to keep sessions, running, now that I'm working from home over a consumer-grade network connection with an easily- saturated VPN endpoint. :(

I keep wanting to go back to Litestep. I ran it back when I had 1GB, single core laptops, and had a simple NeXtStep-looking theme for it. It was nice, but required hand-hacking .ini files instead of dragging and dropping items.

Now that I have an ultra-wide screen monitor, I should play with a side
    dock. I always gravitate to the old-school start menu and task bar on the bottom, but with more width now I could put everything to one side and make more vertical room.

... Emphasize the flaws
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to opicron on Fri Feb 4 19:02:00 2022
    On 02-02-22 20:12, opicron wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Ah its for mystic. Completely online. But this is the prelude to an ios/android app ^^.

Mystic, cool. At least I can test it. Online - not good - performance can suck and it's prone to network dropouts in poor coverage areas. :( Mobile app - nice.

... It's a chain saw. I always carry one for emergencies.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vorlon@21:1/195.1 to Vk3jed on Mon Feb 7 11:38:18 2022

Hello Vk3jed!

02 Feb 22 16:32, you wrote to me:

Telscam, had deals going if you only called one number (In this
    case the internet pop), that the call costs stayed at a fixed
    charge! It also helped that I was involved with a small ISP! %-)

I never knew about that, would have been handy!

Yes, as this was when ADSL hadn't even come around yet and was one of the few cheaper ways of getting high speed (in those days) net access...

Vorlon

• From Vorlon@21:1/195.1 to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Feb 7 11:49:54 2022

Hello poindexter!

01 Feb 22 06:49, you wrote to me:

I used to run a Amiga based theme on my linux mint system, but
    then it stopped working as updates for the rest of the system
    changed things to much.

I keep wanting to go back to Litestep. I ran it back when I had 1GB, single core laptops, and had a simple NeXtStep-looking theme for it.
    It was nice, but required hand-hacking .ini files instead of dragging
    and dropping items.

That was fine and all that when I was younger, but now I just want things to work! I've been hacking away at a project for the past three weeks
    and things are slowly coming together, and then the system throws a fit and blows the data usage pat 4.5Gb,when it should be around the
    1.5-2gb.... arghhh...

Vorlon

• From Vorlon@21:1/195.1 to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Feb 7 11:53:08 2022

Hello poindexter!

01 Feb 22 07:42, you wrote to me:

Telscam, had deals going if you only called one number (In this
    case the internet pop), that the call costs stayed at a fixed
    charge! It also helped that I was involved with a small ISP! %-)

We had something called Centrex, it was a way of defining a "virtual
    PBX" before the internet. Calls within your Centrex group could go anywhere within your local area and calls were billed at a flat rate. There was an ISDN offering that lowered the cost dramatically between
    two dedicated numbers.

ISDN was a fun time for me, I was a telecom manager in a former life
    who knew networking. There were lots of tricks of the trade available
    if you knew what to do.
    [...]

This was all back in the 90's, and really when your a small niche provider the best cheapest option was what worked and didn't break the bank. It
    was also before ADSL came around, so dialup was what everyone was using. From memory frame-relay was the next option, and it was lot's of $$$$

4 x 128k channels bonded right into the box that dialup users connected to made for a better connection. #0-)

Vorlon

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Vorlon on Mon Feb 7 14:32:00 2022
    On 02-07-22 11:38, Vorlon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Yes, as this was when ADSL hadn't even come around yet and was one of
    the few cheaper ways of getting high speed (in those days) net
    access...

Yeah I'd never heard of that plan. Only ISDN I knew was the expensive per minute stuff with a rather high cap.

... We're all sitting in the same boat: I fish, you row.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vorlon@21:1/195.1 to Vk3jed on Tue Feb 8 12:34:22 2022

Hello Vk3jed!

07 Feb 22 14:32, you wrote to me:

Yes, as this was when ADSL hadn't even come around yet and was
    one of the few cheaper ways of getting high speed (in those days)
    net access...

Yeah I'd never heard of that plan. Only ISDN I knew was the expensive
    per minute stuff with a rather high cap.

It was offered with the "Bigpond Direct" system, so a commercial offering....

Vorlon

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Vorlon on Wed Feb 9 13:18:00 2022
    On 02-08-22 12:34, Vorlon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Yeah I'd never heard of that plan. Only ISDN I knew was the expensive
    per minute stuff with a rather high cap.

It was offered with the "Bigpond Direct" system, so a commercial offering....

Ahh, OK.

... If it's not on fire, then it's a software problem.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux