• Mystic Feature Request

From Night Stalker@21:1/178 to All on Sun Feb 3 14:06:11 2019
    I just had a big brain buster of an idea for a feature request. How about the ability to (M)ove files when using the filebase indexer .. it would be much easier for sysops to sort out massive file dumps if they can use the indexer
    to list the areas, then a quickkey to move highlighted file to a different
    area rather than having to (E)dit, then go through the rigamarole of moving
    the file

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A41 2018/12/27 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: internal dimension + idbbs.dlinkddns.com:2019 (21:1/178)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to Night Stalker on Sun Feb 3 15:42:29 2019
    I just had a big brain buster of an idea for a feature request. How
    about the ability to (M)ove files when using the filebase indexer .. it

I guess I am not quite picturing how that'd work since there are no files listed in that area, just file bases.

If I had a move option there, then it'd either have to prompt you to type a filename to move, or it'd have to pull up a list of files for you to scroll through to select the file. If its pulling up a list of files for you to scroll through, then its not really much different than just pressing enter on the file base and scrolling to the file you want to move and moving it (how it works now).

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2019/02/01 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 (21:1/108)
  • From Fireball@21:4/145 to g00r00 on Sun Feb 3 17:04:05 2019
    On 03 Feb 2019, g00r00 said the following...

I guess I am not quite picturing how that'd work since there are no files listed in that area, just file bases.

If I had a move option there, then it'd either have to prompt you to
    type a filename to move, or it'd have to pull up a list of files for you to scroll through to select the file. If its pulling up a list of files for you to scroll through, then its not really much different than just pressing enter on the file base and scrolling to the file you want to
    move and moving it (how it works now).

Here's an idea. As a sysop, why not be able to move directly from the file list, by either tagging multiple files or by selecting a single file, hitting "M" for move, and it comes up with the box that asks you where to move them
    to. It would cut down on keystrokes and a bit of time.

Just my thought on the matter...

Fireball

* Origin: Fireball Express!!! Mystic Edition (21:4/145)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to Fireball on Sun Feb 3 18:26:28 2019
    Here's an idea. As a sysop, why not be able to move directly from the
    file list, by either tagging multiple files or by selecting a single
    file, hitting "M" for move, and it comes up with the box that asks you where to move them to. It would cut down on keystrokes and a bit of time.

I'll add that to my TODO list but I am not sure how much recoding it would take to put the move command there. The net gain is going from pressing "E" and then "M" to just "M" so we're talking about saving maybe a second at best.

There probably isn't going to be a tagging to move option there because tagging in that place puts the files into your download queue.

If your desire is to move a lot of files at once - like if you're reorganizing a lot of things, then I would use MUTIL. You can use the OS file manager to copy all of the files to the desired file base folders and then run MUTIL with MassUpload and FilePack (with check and delete enabled). It will upload the newly copied files and remove the old records.

• From Night Stalker@21:1/178 to g00r00 on Sun Feb 3 20:19:36 2019

Ok, let me start that again lol ..and I think I just answered my own question in my head but here it is anyway..

When listing files, rather than having to (E)dit file, them (M)ove it, have
    the ability to move it direct, and the answer.. stop being a dumbass and just add a move command to the file listing menu .. sorry.. got a bit excited there

• From Night Stalker@21:1/178 to Fireball on Sun Feb 3 20:20:27 2019
    On 03 Feb 2019, Fireball said the following...

Here's an idea. As a sysop, why not be able to move directly from the
    file list, by either tagging multiple files or by selecting a single
    file, hitting "M" for move, and it comes up with the box that asks you where to move them to. It would cut down on keystrokes and a bit of time.

I answered my own question lol.. add the command to the file listing menu :D

• From Night Stalker@21:1/178 to g00r00 on Sun Feb 3 20:21:37 2019

If your desire is to move a lot of files at once - like if you're reorganizing a lot of things, then I would use MUTIL. You can use the
    OS file manager to copy all of the files to the desired file base
    folders and then run MUTIL with MassUpload and FilePack (with check and delete enabled). It will upload the newly copied files and remove the
    old records.

But wouldn't that make every since file you moved now a 'new file' since you are adding a new record and deleting the old one?

• From Fireball@21:4/145 to g00r00 on Sun Feb 3 21:37:04 2019

I'll add that to my TODO list but I am not sure how much recoding it
    would take to put the move command there. The net gain is going from pressing "E" and then "M" to just "M" so we're talking about saving
    maybe a second at best.

I'm thinking keystrokes, not really time. If you're moving a lot of files
    from say a mobile device like a tablet, and can't ssh in to move files there, then saving a keystroke can end up saving a lot of movement.

There probably isn't going to be a tagging to move option there because tagging in that place puts the files into your download queue.

Pity, it could come in handy.

If your desire is to move a lot of files at once - like if you're reorganizing a lot of things, then I would use MUTIL. You can use the
    OS file manager to copy all of the files to the desired file base
    folders and then run MUTIL with MassUpload and FilePack (with check and delete enabled). It will upload the newly copied files and remove the
    old records.

MUTIL would be optimal and quicker, but if you don't have immediate access to the OS, it wouldn't really be possible. I guess another option would be to create a shell script, batch file, or even an MPY that prompts for 2 directories, moves the files from one directory to the other, and runs MUTIL. Add it to the sysop menu and you have a mass file mover. My python is about 10 years rusty, but I suppose I could give it a try...

Fireball

* Origin: Fireball Express!!! Mystic Edition (21:4/145)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to Night Stalker on Sun Feb 3 22:55:27 2019
    have the ability to move it direct, and the answer.. stop being a
    dumbass and just add a move command to the file listing menu .. sorry..

I struggle to understand your english, but it seems like you're calling me a dumbass because I asked for clarification when you asked to have a move file function added to the file area selection screen?

Either way, you're asking for me to spend a bunch of time recoding things so that you can press "M" instead of "E" "M". You're quite passionate about saving one whole keystroke. That 1/10th of a second pressing E first sure is life changing! ;)

Its on my TODO list to look into.

• From Night Stalker@21:1/178 to g00r00 on Mon Feb 4 04:36:28 2019

I struggle to understand your english, but it seems like you're calling
    me a dumbass because I asked for clarification when you asked to have a

nononono I was calling myself a dumbass cuz I answered my own question

• From g00r00@21:1/108 to Night Stalker on Mon Feb 4 14:55:31 2019
    I struggle to understand your english, but it seems like you're calli me a dumbass because I asked for clarification when you asked to have

nononono I was calling myself a dumbass cuz I answered my own question

Haha okay gotcha. I thought that might be it but I was a little confused lol