• filters

From g00r00@21:1/108 to All on Thu Feb 28 02:05:53 2019
    After some more consideration and chatting with another person about it, I decided to enable a per-user twit filter for messages. This was already partially done just commented out in the code so it was quick to add it in.

It will be in the next pre-alpha.

My motivation for this is because there are people using the network twit enforcement for twitting users for non-moderation reasons (including myself, but my BBS is only me). That is not really how that feature was intended to be used and it has concerned people in Fido land.

I won't be removing the twit filter at the network level because I believe its a valuable resource (even if it does slow down tossing a bit). Instead I am enabling the per-user twit as a compromise.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/02/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 (21:1/108)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to g00r00 on Thu Feb 28 22:28:54 2019
    On 27 Feb 2019 at 09:05p, g00r00 pondered and said...

After some more consideration and chatting with another person about it,
    I decided to enable a per-user twit filter for messages. This was
    already partially done just commented out in the code so it was quick to add it in.

I confess all this does is confuse me. I will need to read MUTIL.INI to understand the change(s). So is it that one thing is going and in it's place another is being offered? Or is it that you're offering additional filtering
    on top of what is in place already. Sorry, I'm confused?

My motivation for this is because there are people using the network twit enforcement for twitting users for non-moderation reasons (including myself, but my BBS is only me). That is not really how that feature was intended to be used and it has concerned people in Fido land.

Certainly curious as to the expressions you refer to as I have not directly seen anything posted in Fido about this topic. But I could have missed it.

I won't be removing the twit filter at the network level because I
    believe its a valuable resource (even if it does slow down tossing a
    bit). Instead I am enabling the per-user twit as a compromise.

So this reads like, the status quo remains plus extra functionality?

It will be in the next pre-alpha.

I'm sure it will become more clear to me when I read the next pre-alpha notes :)

For the interest of those reading this reply. fsxNet HUBs do not employ any twit filtering of any sort and have never done so. I feel that traffic should transit unaltered to any and all nodes connected. So it becomes an endpoint choice etc.

Best, Paul

--- E:avon@bbs.nz ------ W:bbs.nz ---
    --- K:keybase.io/avon --------------

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/02/23 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to Avon on Thu Feb 28 04:56:20 2019
    I decided to enable a per-user twit filter for messages. This was

I confess all this does is confuse me. I will need to read MUTIL.INI to understand the change(s). So is it that one thing is going and in it's

This isn't part of the tosser. Each user on the BBS has an ignore list they can add users to if they want to skip messages from/to that user.

Certainly curious as to the expressions you refer to as I have not directly seen anything posted in Fido about this topic. But I could have missed it.

Its happened several times from several Fido people over the years. Someone just a couple of months ago came to FSX to post about it and to ask that MUTIL.INI warn against using it if you're a hub. When I added it back in 1.10 there was an uproar about it too.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/02/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 (21:1/108)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to g00r00 on Fri Mar 1 00:10:11 2019
    On 27 Feb 2019 at 11:56p, g00r00 pondered and said...

Its happened several times from several Fido people over the years. Someone just a couple of months ago came to FSX to post about it and to ask that MUTIL.INI warn against using it if you're a hub. When I added
    it back in 1.10 there was an uproar about it too.

The joys of being a developer huh? Warning... uproar ahead ... danger danger Will Robertson ;-p

Best, Paul

--- E:avon@bbs.nz ------ W:bbs.nz ---
    --- K:keybase.io/avon --------------

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/02/23 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)