• Mutil Linking Messages

From nristen@21:1/161 to All on Mon Oct 15 18:45:22 2018
    Ok, what exactly happens when MUTIL links messages?

I always thought that it was supposed to add a kind of message threading so that messages and their replies would appear like a thread in a forum.

On my BBS this does not happen however so I assume that it means something differently.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: The Search BBS (21:1/161)
  • From bcw142@21:1/145 to nristen on Mon Oct 15 22:39:39 2018
    On 10/15/18, nristen said the following...

I always thought that it was supposed to add a kind of message threading so that messages and their replies would appear like a thread in a forum.

On my BBS this does not happen however so I assume that it means
    something differently.

It limks messages that were made on a Mystic BBS, but not Multimail, NNTP or other methods. I generally try to make all my messages on the BBS in the Message base so it will link (like this one will). If I used email or news handlers it wouldn't link, the information to link it just isn't there. It could likely be made from formation that is there, but there is no normal kludge information for it to make the links with. For easy linking you'd have to build the kludge information to use the linking that is present in mutil.

Does any of your mutil.ini or like .ini files include [LinkMessages] ?
    Under [General] there needs to be LinkMessages = true, then near the
    end there's generally a [LinkMessages]. That's all that's needed, but you can add quick_link = true or quick_link = false. True will try to link it
    quickly, false it will still link but what g00r00 wrote about it was:
    ; If set to false, a slower method will be used but it has 100% success
    ; assuming the data in the message is good (but at the cost of speed)

* Origin: Mystic Pi BBS bcw142.zapto.org (21:1/145)
  • From Gryphon@21:1/120 to nristen on Sat Oct 20 17:53:43 2018
    On 10/15/18, nristen said the following...

On my BBS this does not happen however so I assume that it means
    something differently.

I've had the same issue. I brought it up, but everybody always said "It
    works for me", so I didn't persue it.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | cyberiabbs.zapto.org | San Jose, CA (21:1/120)
  • From nristen@21:1/161 to Gryphon on Tue Oct 23 01:22:55 2018

I always thought that it was supposed to add a kind of message thread so that messages and their replies would appear like a thread in a fo

On my BBS this does not happen however so I assume that it means something differently.

I've had the same issue. I brought it up, but everybody always said "It works for me", so I didn't persue it.

Thanks for mentioning that. Can anyone who this works for, please reply and let me know the name of your BBS so I can login to see what it is supposed to look like.

Thank you

* Origin: The Search BBS (21:1/161)
  • From bcw142@21:1/145 to nristen on Wed Oct 24 10:36:14 2018
    On 10/22/18, nristen said the following...

Thanks for mentioning that. Can anyone who this works for, please reply and let me know the name of your BBS so I can login to see what it is supposed to look like.

Mystic Pi BBS has linked messages bcw142.zapto.org all standard ports (23 is telnet etc.). As I had stated to the original person that asked:

It links messages that were made on a Mystic BBS, but not Multimail, NNTP or other methods. I generally try to make all my messages on the BBS in the Message base so it will link (like this one will). If I used email or news handlers it wouldn't link, the information to link it just isn't there. It could likely be made from information that is there, but there is no normal kludge information for it to make the links with. For easy linking you'd have to build the kludge information to use the linking that is present in mutil.

Does any of your mutil.ini or like .ini files include [LinkMessages] ?
    Under [General] there needs to be LinkMessages = true, then near the
    end there's generally a [LinkMessages]. That's all that's needed, but you can add quick_link = true or quick_link = false. True will try to link it
    quickly, false it will still link but what g00r00 wrote about it was:
    ; If set to false, a slower method will be used but it has 100% success
    ; assuming the data in the message is good (but at the cost of speed)

* Origin: Mystic Pi BBS bcw142.zapto.org (21:1/145)