• web interface bug

From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Echicken on Wed Oct 8 20:56:12 2014
    Hey, just thought I'd mention that I stumbled across a potential bug while I was busy testing out my new software additions to Synchronet...
    It looks like your web interface will load and display the 'most current message' in any sub-board with disregard for whether or not the 'most current message' has been killed/deleted or not.
    Just thought you might be interested. :)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron BBS telnet or ssh -p 2222 to tinfoil.synchro.net
  • From echicken to Khelair on Thu Oct 9 03:14:19 2014
    Re: web interface bug
    By: Khelair to Echicken on Wed Oct 08 2014 16:56:12

It looks like your web interface will load and display the 'most current
    message' in any sub-board with disregard for whether or not the 'most
    current message' has been killed/deleted or not.

Thanks - just committed a change to CVS. Most recent non-deleted message (if one is available) will now show as the 'latest' message for a given sub in the list of subs.

The displayed number of messages in a given sub-board however does not take deleted messages into account. I'm not sure if there's a non-sucky way to deal with this, so I'm ignoring it for now.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to echicken on Thu Oct 9 12:42:27 2014
    By: echicken to Khelair on Wed Oct 08 2014 23:14:19

Thanks - just committed a change to CVS. Most recent non-deleted message (if one is available) will now show as the 'latest' message for a given sub in the list of subs.

Cool. I need to put in some more work on seeing whether or not I can do a full upgrade, no doubt. Goddamn OBSD.

The displayed number of messages in a given sub-board however does not take deleted messages into account. I'm not sure if there's a non-sucky way to deal with this, so I'm ignoring it for now.

Yeah, that sounds like it'd be more processing time than it's worth, for what is likely just an 'impressive stat' on the page. Anyway, I just figured the deleted message showing the topic would probably bit a little bit of a privacy issue, as somebody could write something that they later recant on for privacy issues or something; no sense in getting it pointlessly indexed by the google spiders and all. :)
    Best wishes.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron BBS telnet or ssh -p 2222 to tinfoil.synchro.net
  • From echicken to Khelair on Thu Oct 9 18:36:01 2014
    By: Khelair to echicken on Thu Oct 09 2014 08:42:27

Yeah, that sounds like it'd be more processing time than it's worth, for what is likely just an 'impressive stat' on the page. Anyway, I just

The discrepancy isn't even something you're likely to notice on most subs. It only jumped out at me because the test sub I was using had two messages, one of which was deleted.

figured the deleted message showing the topic would probably bit a
    little bit of a privacy issue, as somebody could write something that
    they later recant on for privacy issues or something; no sense in
    getting it pointlessly indexed by the google spiders and all. :)

Well, I don't care why somebody deletes a message - deleted messages just shouldn't be listed anywhere (unless there's some specific reason to do so.) Thankfully this was just the subject, author, and date, and only if it was the most recent message in a sub, and even then only in the list of sub-boards.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230