• exec/SlyEdit.js SlyEdit_DCTStuff.js SlyEdit_IceStuff.js SlyEdit_Misc.j

From Nightfox@VERT to All on Fri Jan 5 03:39:50 2018
    Re: exec/SlyEdit.js SlyEdit_DCTStuff.js SlyEdit_IceStuff.js SlyEdit_Misc.j
    By: nightfox to CVS commit on Thu Jan 04 2018 10:21 pm

SlyEdit.js SlyEdit_DCTStuff.js SlyEdit_IceStuff.js
    SlyEdit_Misc.js
    Log Message:
    SlyEdit version 1.55: Added support for changing the text color. Ctrl-K can be used to choose a text color (other key combos that might make more sense such as Ctrl-A or Ctrl-C were already used for other featuers). Text colors/attributes are entered as a series of attributes. For instance, to choose green, one would enter G. To choose high-intensity green, one would enter HG. One can switch back to the normal attribute by choosing N. Colors are also supported in the text replacements file - Color/attribute codes can be used in the substitute words. Also, \1 can now be used in the color configuration files in place of the ASCII-1 character.

Also added the following configuration options to SlyEdit.cfg: allowColorSelection : Whether or not to allow color selection. Valid values are true and false

noColorSelectionGrpNames : A comma-separated (or space-separated) list of group short names or group descriptions where color selection should not be allowed

noColorSelectionSubBoardNames : A comma-separated (or space-separated) list of sub-board codes for sub-boards where color selection should not be allowed

cvtColorToANSIGrpNames : A comma-separated (or space-separated) list of group short names or group descriptions where color/attribute codes should be converted to ANSI (for a level of compatibility with other BBS software reading messages on a message network)

cvtColorToANSISubBoardCodes : A comma-separated (or space-separated) list of sub-board codes for sub-boards where color/attribute codes should be converted to ANSI

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Nightfox on Fri Jan 5 10:58:02 2018
    Hello Nightfox,

On Thu Jan 04 2018 22:39:50, Nightfox wrote to All:

Also added the following configuration options to SlyEdit.cfg: allowColorSelection : Whether or not to allow color selection. Valid values are true and false

noColorSelectionGrpNames : A comma-separated (or space-separated) list
    of group short names or group descriptions where color selection
    should not be allowed

noColorSelectionSubBoardNames : A comma-separated (or space-separated) list of sub-board codes for sub-boards where color selection should
    not be allowed

cvtColorToANSIGrpNames : A comma-separated (or space-separated) list
    of group short names or group descriptions where color/attribute codes should be converted to ANSI (for a level of compatibility with other
    BBS software reading messages on a message network)

cvtColorToANSISubBoardCodes : A comma-separated (or space-separated)
    list of sub-board codes for sub-boards where color/attribute codes
    should be converted to ANSI

You may want to make note somewhere too, that if this is enabled and you're a part of FTN networks (specifically Fidonet since they dont allow it) to make sure you strip CTRL_A color codes before exporting. Especially if these are Synchronet color codes, as no other BBS software can actually read them. ;)

Regards,
    Nick

... "Не знаю. Я здесь только работаю."
    --- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20170303
    * Origin: thePharcyde_ distribution system (Wisconsin) (723:1/1)
    ■ Synchronet ■ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Accession on Fri Jan 5 14:01:20 2018
    By: Accession to Nightfox on Fri Jan 05 2018 05:58 am

You may want to make note somewhere too, that if this is enabled and you're a part of FTN networks (specifically Fidonet since they dont allow it) to make sure you strip CTRL_A color codes before exporting. Especially if these are Synchronet color codes, as no other BBS software can actually read them. ;)

That's why I added the setting noColorSelectionGrpNames - A sysop can use that to disable color selection for a message group, such as FidoNet or other FTN-style groups.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Accession on Fri Jan 5 14:03:44 2018
    By: Nightfox to Accession on Fri Jan 05 2018 09:01 am

You may want to make note somewhere too, that if this is enabled and
    you're a part of FTN networks (specifically Fidonet since they dont
    allow it) to make sure you strip CTRL_A color codes before
    exporting. Especially if these are Synchronet color codes, as no
    other BBS software can actually read them. ;)

That's why I added the setting noColorSelectionGrpNames - A sysop can use that to disable color selection for a message group, such as FidoNet or other FTN-style groups.

Also, when cross-posting, SlyEdit will check its settings and for any message group or sub-board where color selection is not allowed, it will strip the Ctrl-A codes from the message before posting the message there. So for instance if a sysop has FidoNet in their noColorSelectionGrpNames setting, and a user posts on Dove-Net and cross-posts in a FidoNet message area, it would strip the Ctrl-A codes before posting the message on the FidoNet message area.

Nightfox

---
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Nightfox on Fri Jan 5 18:32:44 2018
    Hello Nightfox,

On Fri Jan 05 2018 09:01:20, Nightfox wrote to Accession:

That's why I added the setting noColorSelectionGrpNames - A sysop can
    use that to disable color selection for a message group, such as
    FidoNet or other FTN-style groups.

Ok. I didn't catch that part, I guess. However, just warning you, I'm fairly sure it'll still happen due to sysops not knowing what that setting actually means, or just carelessness, and then the FidoFogies will complain and then they'll contact you via netmail and threaten you, etc. etc. ;)

Regards,
    Nick

• From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Nightfox on Fri Jan 5 18:36:46 2018
    Hello Nightfox,

On Fri Jan 05 2018 09:03:44, Nightfox wrote to Accession:

Also, when cross-posting, SlyEdit will check its settings and for any message group or sub-board where color selection is not allowed, it
    will strip the Ctrl-A codes from the message before posting the
    message there. So for instance if a sysop has FidoNet in their noColorSelectionGrpNames setting, and a user posts on Dove-Net and cross-posts in a FidoNet message area, it would strip the Ctrl-A codes before posting the message on the FidoNet message area.

Sounds like an awesome feature. I'm not knocking you or it, I was just giving a
    heads up what could and/or probably will happen eventually. ;)

Regards,
    Nick

• From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Accession on Fri Jan 5 19:36:01 2018
    By: Accession to Nightfox on Fri Jan 05 2018 01:32 pm

That's why I added the setting noColorSelectionGrpNames - A sysop
    can use that to disable color selection for a message group, such as
    FidoNet or other FTN-style groups.

Ok. I didn't catch that part, I guess. However, just warning you, I'm fairly sure it'll still happen due to sysops not knowing what that setting actually means, or just carelessness, and then the FidoFogies will complain and then they'll contact you via netmail and threaten you, etc. etc. ;)

There's a SlyEdit readme file that explains what that setting does. It's up to sysops to read and understand it. :)
    Anyways, fseditor.js also allows choosing text colors, and I haven't noticed anyone complaining about it on other networks.

Nightfox

---
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Nightfox on Sat Jan 6 04:08:20 2018
    Hello Nightfox,

On Fri Jan 05 2018 14:36:00, Nightfox wrote to Accession:

Ok. I didn't catch that part, I guess. However, just warning you,
    I'm fairly sure it'll still happen due to sysops not knowing what
    that setting actually means, or just carelessness, and then the
    FidoFogies will complain and then they'll contact you via netmail
    and threaten you, etc. etc. ;)

There's a SlyEdit readme file that explains what that setting does.
    It's up to sysops to read and understand it. :)

And I understand that, of course. But the question is, will everyone else? ;)

Anyways, fseditor.js also allows choosing text colors, and I
    haven't noticed anyone complaining about it on other networks.

Eh.. fsediwhat (sarcasm)? While is may be an option on a lot of BBSs, I have a feeling Slyedit is used just a tad bit more these days.

Regards,
    Nick

• From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Accession on Sun Jan 7 19:01:59 2018
    By: Accession to Nightfox on Fri Jan 05 2018 11:08 pm

There's a SlyEdit readme file that explains what that setting does.
    It's up to sysops to read and understand it. :)

And I understand that, of course. But the question is, will everyone else? ;)

Sysops would be the only ones to see the new SlyEdit settings. Who is "everyone else"?

Nightfox

---
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Nightfox on Mon Jan 8 22:10:08 2018
    Hello Nightfox,

On Sun Jan 07 2018 14:01:58, Nightfox wrote to Accession:

And I understand that, of course. But the question is, will
    everyone else? ;)

Sysops would be the only ones to see the new SlyEdit settings. Who is "everyone else"?

Well, since I was only talking about myself in the above.. I would assume I meant.. wait for it..

Everyone else. And, obviously if sysops are the only ones to see the new SlyEdit settings, wouldn't you think I would've been talking about sysops right
    along with you? ;)

Regards,
    Nick

• From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Accession on Mon Jan 8 22:15:51 2018
    By: Accession to Nightfox on Mon Jan 08 2018 05:10 pm

And I understand that, of course. But the question is, will
    everyone else? ;)

Sysops would be the only ones to see the new SlyEdit settings. Who
    is "everyone else"?

Well, since I was only talking about myself in the above.. I would assume I meant.. wait for it..

Everyone else. And, obviously if sysops are the only ones to see the new SlyEdit settings, wouldn't you think I would've been talking about sysops right along with you? ;)

Ah, I guess I misunderstood initially, but I see now.

Hopefully sysops would understand the settings.. If not, then perhaps the documentation could be more clear, or I (or others who undersand the configuration settings) can help with any questions. But that's the same with any setting in any of the add-ons or various BBS software that sysops use..

I also added comments in the SlyEdit configuration file, so there are explanations in there of what the settings do. I think a lot of sysops would realize that there are other BBS packages out there that might not recognize the same color codes, and that's why I put the new settings in there. I also added settings to convert Synchronet color codes to ANSI if desired for certain message areas (or whole message groups) so other BBS packages could see any of the message colors properly.

I've also seen some comments from people on Dove-Net saying they use GoldEd or an offline QWK reader. I imagine those readers probably don't output Synchronet color codes properly, but I haven't seen anyone complain (and I have seen some messages on Dove-Net with text colors).

Nightfox

---
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Nightfox on Wed Jan 10 01:21:42 2018
    Hello Nightfox,

On Mon Jan 08 2018 17:15:50, Nightfox wrote to Accession:

Hopefully sysops would understand the settings.. If not, then perhaps
    the documentation could be more clear, or I (or others who undersand
    the configuration settings) can help with any questions. But that's
    the same with any setting in any of the add-ons or various BBS
    software that sysops use..

You've definitely done your part.

I also added comments in the SlyEdit configuration file, so there are explanations in there of what the settings do. I think a lot of
    sysops would realize that there are other BBS packages out there that might not recognize the same color codes

This was my original point (and nothing against you). You'd be surprised how many sysops would set it up without having a clue nor a care in the world what it looks like on another system.

I've also seen some comments from people on Dove-Net saying they use GoldEd or an offline QWK reader. I imagine those readers probably
    don't output Synchronet color codes properly, but I haven't seen
    anyone complain (and I have seen some messages on Dove-Net with text colors).

I use Golded on this system, but this system connects directly to my QWK networked Synchronet BBS via FTN to get Dovenet, and my BBS strips all color codes. So that's one way to not have that issue with Golded, and the QWK reader
    I wouldn't have a clue about, since I've never used one.

Regards,
    Nick

• From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to Nightfox on Wed Jan 10 12:56:17 2018
    By: Accession to Nightfox on Tue Jan 09 2018 20:21:42

Hopefully sysops would understand the settings.. If not, then
    perhaps the documentation could be more clear, or I (or others who
    undersand the configuration settings) can help with any questions.
    But that's the same with any setting in any of the add-ons or
    various BBS software that sysops use..

Look, the documentation and notation in the JS is easy enough, if someone does'nt understand something, then they need to get on here and ask. If they still cannot undersand after being given 20 completely different explanations to arrive at the same conclusion then they really should'nt be running that JS, or a BBS at all for Jeeebus sakes..

I consider myself one of the DUMBEST people when it comes to JS, but usually I can figure an app suite out just by opening up the JS files and reading them, EVEN IF they have NO annotations whatsoever..

If I can do it anyone can..

If they cannot, really they should not be a Sysop, at least to a Synchronet BBS, maybe they would do better running Sapphire BBS or something real real simple..

just my two cents..

You've definitely done your part.

Most definatly. You have some great software out there and I (we) applaud you for it. You are even on my wall of fame with the rest of the developers on the first index page of my website :)

Everyone of you deserve to have your paypal accounts overflowing.. too bad *most* sysops are broke asses because most are hobbyists and spend all their money on their many hobbys.

I also added comments in the SlyEdit configuration file, so there
    are explanations in there of what the settings do. I think a lot of
    sysops would realize that there are other BBS packages out there
    that might not recognize the same color codes

I think a lot of Sysops would recognize a gunshot wound to the head if blood was projectile squirting out of it, unless you hold their hand and install the crap for them. Nothing against you good sysops out there, and yes.. I do realize I have asked questions in here without RTFM.. but TFM is a bit fragmented at the moment and I don't want to RTFM.. so.. I ask questions in here, this is mainly what this network is for.. BUT I do not ask until If exhausted all options.

This was my original point (and nothing against you). You'd be surprised how many sysops would set it up without having a clue nor a care in the world what it looks like on another system.

So true..

Take Care!

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
    * Synchronet * KK4QBN BBS - kk4qbn.com - kk4qbn.synchro.net - Chatsworth GA USA
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Accession on Wed Jan 10 14:33:00 2018
    By: Accession to Nightfox on Tue Jan 09 2018 08:21 pm

are explanations in there of what the settings do. I think a lot of
    sysops would realize that there are other BBS packages out there
    that might not recognize the same color codes

This was my original point (and nothing against you).

And as I said earlier, that's why I added those settings. :)

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to KK4QBN on Wed Jan 10 14:39:08 2018
    By: KK4QBN to Nightfox on Wed Jan 10 2018 07:56 am

Look, the documentation and notation in the JS is easy enough, if someone does'nt understand something, then they need to get on here and ask. If they still cannot undersand after being given 20 completely different explanations to arrive at the same conclusion then they really should'nt be running that JS, or a BBS at all for Jeeebus sakes..

I was thinking the same, in order to run a BBS you need to understand how it works and how to set it up..

I consider myself one of the DUMBEST people when it comes to JS, but usually I can figure an app suite out just by opening up the JS files and reading them, EVEN IF they have NO annotations whatsoever..

IMO you shouldn't always have to open the JS to understand how to use it; it should have documentation separate from the .js file (which I've tried to provide with my mods).

Most definatly. You have some great software out there and I (we) applaud

Thanks.

Nightfox

---
  • From Eric Oulashin@VERT to Git commit to main/sbbs/master on Tue Jun 21 11:34:20 2022
    https://gitlab.synchro.net/main/sbbs/-/commit/9b0ac8a025ba56dd7517302f
    Modified Files:
    exec/SlyEdit.js SlyEdit_DCTStuff.js SlyEdit_IceStuff.js SlyEdit_Misc.js exec/load/dd_lightbar_menu.js xtrn/ddfilelister/ddfilelister.js xtrn/slyvote/readme.txt slyvote.js
    Log Message:
    Updated dd_lightbar_menu.js and some Digital Distortion mods for strict mode & made some fixes

---
  • From Rob Swindell@VERT to Git commit to main/sbbs/master on Tue Jun 21 11:34:20 2022
    https://gitlab.synchro.net/main/sbbs/-/commit/ebe472db1697793d8fc27255
    Modified Files:
    exec/SlyEdit.js SlyEdit_DCTStuff.js SlyEdit_IceStuff.js SlyEdit_Misc.js exec/load/dd_lightbar_menu.js xtrn/ddfilelister/ddfilelister.js xtrn/slyvote/readme.txt slyvote.js
    Log Message:
    Merge branch 'dd_use_strict_and_fixes_1' into 'master'

Added "use strict"; to dd_lightbar_menu.js and some Digital Distortion mods& made some fixes

See merge request main/sbbs!190

---
  • From Eric Oulashin@VERT to Git commit to main/sbbs/master on Sat Feb 3 12:50:51 2024
    https://gitlab.synchro.net/main/sbbs/-/commit/1b0f3daa862d6fbb411b1256
    Modified Files:
    exec/SlyEdit.js SlyEdit_DCTStuff.js SlyEdit_IceStuff.js SlyEdit_Misc.js xtrn/DDAreaChoosers/DDFileAreaChooser.js DDMsgAreaChooser.js xtrn/ddfilelister/ddfilelister.js xtrn/gttrivia/gttrivia.js xtrn/slyvote/slyvote.js
    Log Message:
    Digital Distortion mod refactor: Remove use of backslash() (just append a /); use js.exec_dir instead of the old hack to find the startup directory. No functional change.

---
  • From Rob Swindell@VERT to Git commit to main/sbbs/master on Sat Feb 3 12:50:51 2024
    https://gitlab.synchro.net/main/sbbs/-/commit/e8bd9f0edb36c79bd64d3a53
    Modified Files:
    exec/SlyEdit.js SlyEdit_DCTStuff.js SlyEdit_IceStuff.js SlyEdit_Misc.js xtrn/DDAreaChoosers/DDFileAreaChooser.js DDMsgAreaChooser.js xtrn/ddfilelister/ddfilelister.js xtrn/gttrivia/gttrivia.js xtrn/slyvote/slyvote.js
    Log Message:
    Merge branch 'dd_tools_remove_startup_path_hack_and_backslash_function' into 'master'

Digital Distortion mod refactor: Remove use of backslash() (just append a /); use js.exec_dir instead of the old hack to find the startup directory. No functional change.

See merge request main/sbbs!393

---