• Building SyncTERM in ArchLinux with Code Blocks.

From Electrosys@VERT/DIGIAQUA to All on Sun Sep 2 01:19:30 2018
    I'm trying to build SyncTERM in ArchLinux with Code Blocks. I start by simply pulling in the xpdev project and trying to build that one. I get the following error when I try and build that project though: gcc.freebsd.obj.debug/main.o no such file or directory. What am I missing?
    Thanks,
    Electrosys

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Aquarium - digiaqua.synchro.net - So much fun...
  • From Electrosys@VERT/DIGIAQUA to All on Sun Sep 2 10:46:16 2018
    Re: Building SyncTERM in ArchLinux with Code Blocks.
    By: Electrosys to All on Sat Sep 01 2018 09:19 pm

I'm trying to build SyncTERM in ArchLinux with Code Blocks. I start by simpl pulling in the xpdev project and trying to build that one. I get the followi error when I try and build that project though: gcc.freebsd.obj.debug/main.o such file or directory. What am I missing?
    Thanks,
    Electrosys

I was able to get past the gcc.freebsd.obj.debug/main.o error by removing main.c from the XPDEV project. I was able to build XPDEV and Conio, but when I try and build Comio I get an error about gen_defs.h missing. gen_defs is included in XPDEV, am I missing a linker option or something to pull it in? Currently I have comio.c, comio_nix.c and comio.h pulled into my comio project in code blocks.

Thanks,
    Electrosys

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Aquarium - digiaqua.synchro.net - So much fun...
  • From Electrosys@VERT to All on Sun Sep 2 12:48:12 2018
    By: Electrosys to All on Sun Sep 02 2018 06:46 am

I was able to get past the gcc.freebsd.obj.debug/main.o error by removing main.c from the XPDEV project. I was able to build XPDEV and Conio, but when I try and build Comio I get an error about gen_defs.h missing. gen_defs is included in XPDEV, am I missing a linker option or something to pull it in? Currently I have comio.c, comio_nix.c and comio.h pulled into my comio project in code blocks.

I was able to get all of the libs built. I'm having some trouble building the synchronet project though. I'm getting errors about uint32_t and uint8_t being defined already. They are defined in gen_defs.h but its seems they are also defined in some of my libs /usr/include/bits/stdint-uintn.h . Do you know how I can get past the errors I'm seeing around gen_def.h?

Code Blocks Specifically gives the error: conflicting types for int32_t, etc..

Thanks,
    Electrosys

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Electrosys on Mon Sep 3 02:19:30 2018

I'm trying to build SyncTERM in ArchLinux with Code Blocks. I start by simply pulling in the xpdev project and trying to build that one. I get the following error when I try and build that project though: gcc.freebsd.obj.debug/main.o no such file or directory. What am I missing?

Is there a reason you're not using the developers' supported method of building it (i.e. 'make')? I would recommend starting there and then after you're successful with the normal/support build system, if you want to move to some other development framework/IDE/build system, you'll have some knowledge/foundation to go on.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #4:
    Synchronet version 3 is written mostly in C, with some C++, x86 ASM, and Pascal.
    Norco, CA WX: 65.4°F, 86.0% humidity, 4 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Electrosys on Mon Sep 3 02:20:39 2018
    By: Electrosys to All on Sun Sep 02 2018 06:46 am

I'm trying to build SyncTERM in ArchLinux with Code Blocks. I start by simpl pulling in the xpdev project and trying to build that one. I get the followi error when I try and build that project though: gcc.freebsd.obj.debug/main.o such file or directory. What am I missing? Thanks,
    Electrosys

I was able to get past the gcc.freebsd.obj.debug/main.o error by removing main.c from the XPDEV project. I was able to build XPDEV and Conio, but when I try and build Comio I get an error about gen_defs.h missing. gen_defs is included in XPDEV, am I missing a linker option or something to pull it in?

Sounds like a compiler INCLUDE issue, not a linker issue.

Currently I have comio.c, comio_nix.c and comio.h pulled into my comio project in code blocks.

Perhaps you should just use the normal/supported build method instead.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #29:
    I find lost luggage. I locate mandolin strings in the middle of Austin!
    Norco, CA WX: 65.4°F, 86.0% humidity, 4 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Electrosys@VERT to Digital Man on Mon Sep 3 10:33:34 2018
    By: Digital Man to Electrosys on Sun Sep 02 2018 10:19 pm

Is there a reason you're not using the developers' supported method of building it (i.e. 'make')? I would recommend starting there and then after you're successful with the normal/support build system, if you want to move to some other development framework/IDE/build system, you'll have some knowledge/foundation to go on.

Thanks thats a great point. I was able to build with make but want to work in an IDE so that its easier to code and debug. I was able to build the project with make but maybe I need to tell CodeBlocks to use the make config, I would imagine there is a way to do that.

Electrosys

---
  • From Electrosys@VERT to Digital Man on Mon Sep 3 15:24:53 2018
    By: Electrosys to Digital Man on Mon Sep 03 2018 06:33 am

Is there a reason you're not using the developers' supported method
    of building it (i.e. 'make')? I would recommend starting there and
    then after you're successful with the normal/support build system,
    if you want to move to some other development framework/IDE/build
    system, you'll have some knowledge/foundation to go on.

Thanks thats a great point. I was able to build with make but want to work in an IDE so that its easier to code and debug. I was able to build the project with make but maybe I need to tell CodeBlocks to use the make config, I would imagine there is a way to do that.

In looking at the code::blocks wiki it seems they suggest against using the make file. I think my problem was that I was making minor code changes to get the progam to compile which I shouldn't need to do since make already builds the project. It should just be a matter of setting up the projects in code blocks right by adding the correct search and link paths to the dependant projects.

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Code::Blocks_and_Makefiles

I was working on bulding xpdev and got this:

xp_syslog.c line 11: static char log_host[1025]=

The error is something about expect a '('. It looks like something is missing from the rest of that line.

How do you browse the syncterm project on the cvs web interface? I can only find the sbbs project.

Thanks,
    Electrosys

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Electrosys on Tue Sep 4 03:13:35 2018
    By: Electrosys to Digital Man on Mon Sep 03 2018 11:24 am

By: Electrosys to Digital Man on Mon Sep 03 2018 06:33 am

Is there a reason you're not using the developers' supported method
    of building it (i.e. 'make')? I would recommend starting there and
    then after you're successful with the normal/support build system,
    if you want to move to some other development framework/IDE/build
    system, you'll have some knowledge/foundation to go on.

In looking at the code::blocks wiki it seems they suggest against using the make file. I think my problem was that I was making minor code changes to get the progam to compile which I shouldn't need to do since make already builds the project. It should just be a matter of setting up the projects in code blocks right by adding the correct search and link paths to the dependant projects.

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Code::Blocks_and_Makefiles

I was working on bulding xpdev and got this:

xp_syslog.c line 11: static char log_host[1025]=

The error is something about expect a '('. It looks like something is missing from the rest of that line.

We don't actually use xp_syslog.* for anything.

How do you browse the syncterm project on the cvs web interface? I can only find the sbbs project.

http://cvs.synchro.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/src/syncterm/

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #51:
    Rob Swindell was introduced to BBSing in 1982 by his older brother, Dr. Seuss. Norco, CA WX: 66.2°F, 89.0% humidity, 3 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---